Real life crime and murder

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've just watched it, fascinating viewing but so sad. Totally the right verdict. Will they ever confess what happened to poor Margaret ? I thought Avril might tell the truth as, but Eddie was so cocky and arrogant, he must have turned the jury against him by his outburst. And frauding dwp to get her benefit, how was she not called in for a medical for all those years? The poor soul was let down and abused by everyone apart from her teachers.
I was awarded Disability Living Allowance (DLA) in 2001. I had no face to face assessment - I just filled in the form. I was on a lifetime award and never had any contact from the DWP except for my tiny annual increase and Christmas bonus letters every year, No home visits and no visits to their offices in all that time. It only changed last year when I got the dreaded DLA to Personal Independence Payment (PIP) changeover letter and I had to have a home assessment - this is what tripped Avril & Eddie up.

However, Margaret was clearly on Incapacity Benefit as well (from the letter they showed in court) and I thought that was more closely monitored but apparently not. Someone on another forum said her friend was on IB and was switched to ESA (Employment Support Allowance) just by filling in the form - no assessment. But I thought it meant you had some more contact with the DWP with the support groups etc. I don't really understand it to be honest 🙈

Eddie & Avril were getting Carer's Allowance as well I believe.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 4
I was awarded Disability Living Allowance (DLA) in 2001. I had no face to face assessment - I just filled in the form. I was on a lifetime award and never had any contact from the DWP except for my tiny annual increase and Christmas bonus letters every year, No home visits and no visits to their offices in all that time. It only changed last year when I got the dreaded DLA to Personal Independence Payment (PIP) changeover letter and I had to have a home assessment - this is what tripped Avril & Eddie up.

However, Margaret was clearly on Incapacity Benefit as well (from the letter they showed in court) and I thought that was more closely monitored but apparently not. Someone on another forum said her friend was on IB and was switched to ESA (Employment Support Allowance) just by filling in the form - no assessment.

Oh right, blimey you hear so many stories about dwp hounding disabled people and stopping their benefits and the one time an early intervention would have helped, nothing. You'd also think that her gp might have called her in for routine health checks, but perhaps if she wasn't prescribed meds she slipped through the net. It's such a shame that young adults with mental health problems or learning difficulties receive support whilst their at school but one they leave education they are just forgotten about. Thanks for the info, I hope you are doing ok 😀

Reactions: 5
Oh right, blimey you hear so many stories about dwp hounding disabled people and stopping their benefits and the one time an early intervention would have helped, nothing. You'd also think that her gp might have called her in for routine health checks, but perhaps if she wasn't prescribed meds she slipped through the net. It's such a shame that young adults with mental health problems or learning difficulties receive support whilst their at school but one they leave education they are just forgotten about. Thanks for the info, I hope you are doing ok 😀
Unfortunately, I was only awarded standard rate PIP for both mobility and daily living (this was previously called care) for three years whereas I was previously on a lifetime award of high rate mobility and low rate care. I have appealed and should be going tribunal later this year sometime. No idea when. But going from high rate DLA to standard rate PIP on mobility means I have to hand back my Motability car in March, which is a complete nightmare as I can't use public transport for various reasons - it's my lifeline. Hopefully, I'll be awarded enhanced rate mobility at tribunal and be able to get back on the Motability scheme. I'm only two poInts short as well 😫 However, I'll have to go through all this again in three years. It has been so unbelievably stressful.

The ironic thing is I am in a far worse position than I was in 2001. I no longer work. I have a progressive illness - they don't get better! I also have depression, anxiety and agoraphobia that I didn't have in 2001.

But I am not going to rant about the government. If anythIng, Margaret's case highlights the fact that there were far too many lifetime awards given out without assessment and, like you said, the system is so open to fraud. I understand why they are doing what they're doing - it's just not nice when you, a genuine claimant, has to suffer because of it.

But thank you for asking 😊

Reactions: 7
Unfortunately, I was only awarded standard rate PIP for both mobility and daily living (this was previously called care) for three years whereas I was previously on a lifetime award of high rate mobility and low rate care. I have appealed and should be going tribunal later this year sometime. No idea when. But going from high rate DLA to standard rate PIP on mobility means I have to hand back my Motability car in March, which is a complete nightmare as I can't use public transport for various reasons - it's my lifeline. Hopefully, I'll be awarded enhanced rate mobility at tribunal and be able to get back on the Motability scheme. I'm only two poInts short as well 😫 However, I'll have to go through all this again in three years. It has been so unbelievably stressful.

The ironic thing is I am in a far worse position than I was in 2001. I no longer work. I have a progressive illness - they don't get better! I also have depression, anxiety and agoraphobia that I didn't have in 2001.

But I am not going to rant about the government. If anythIng, Margaret's case highlights the fact that there were far too many lifetime awards given out without assessment and, like you said, the system is so open to fraud. I understand why they are doing what they're doing - it's just not nice when you, a genuine claimant, has to suffer because of it.

But thank you for asking 😊
That sounds like a nightmare, I'm sorry you're having to go through such a hard time to get what you are clearly entitled to. I hope you win your tribunal xx

BTK aka Dennis raider, is not necessarily my favourite because I have too many 😂 but I've found his case one of the most interesting from many aspects. The planning, his coldness, his "kinks" , how did he get like that? No one knows as he seems to have had a normal childhood. Also the risks he took, he thought he could outsmart the police.

I listened to a podcast about Albert Fish yesterday. I was disgusted and intrigued in equal measure. What he did was truly horrifying but I was intrigued by was what made him do it. Why was he like this? I really wish I'd studied psychology at uni instead of finance 😖

Elizabeth Bathory is another strange one, but the jury is out on just how exaggerated the stories about her are. Some historians have even questioned her existence.

Reactions: 3
I listened to a podcast about Albert Fish yesterday. I was disgusted and intrigued in equal measure. What he did was truly horrifying but I was intrigued by was what made him do it. Why was he like this? I really wish I'd studied psychology at uni instead of finance 😖
Not sure if it’s any interest but FutureLearn has had some free psychology courses online ☺

Reactions: 2
Love this thread, had anyone seen the Jodi arias interrogation tapes on YouTube? She is one crazy women, there’s loads of documentaries about her on youtube, it’s unbelievable to watch how delusional she is
I have not see the tapes on YouTube but I followed her trial on TV. I was on maternity leave and had plenty of time. It fascinated me because she is the same age as I am. She really was and still is crazy.

Reactions: 1
Bundy is my fave serial killer. His story has it all really - looks, charm, intelligence, utter stupidity, multiple escapes, necrophilia, proposing (meaning legally bound marriage) during his trial, child conceived after imprisonment. Still my favourite ever TV show on Bundy is "The Deliberate Stranger" starring Mark Harmon.
I remember watching “The Deliberate Stranger” a long time ago, I reread the book whilst on holiday last year. Oh the Bundy story definitely does have it all, all you mention along with questioning who his real father was, believing his mother was his aunt and the ‘odd’ relationship with his ex girlfriend. Bundy is one of my faves too.

Love this thread. I have watched a few documentaries and believe that Jon Benet's brother killed her and the parents tried to cover it up by staging her kidnapping.

Reactions: 8
Anatoly Slivko is another one that creeped me out.. those pictures haunt me!
I always got John Wayne Gacey vibes with Slivko. The arousal by death of a young man, hiding his own sexuality, drugging young men, killing young men. They look similar too. Very disturbing pictures, it makes me sad that the boys did not know what he had done and then were essentially silenced.

Love this thread. I have watched a few documentaries and believe that Jon Benet's brother killed her and the parents tried to cover it up by staging her kidnapping.
Have you watched the Dr.Phil interview with the brother as an adult. It just seems he is smirking through it.
I definitely agree with you, too many things pointed to the parents and brother knowing but it’s very telling how the adults ‘protected’ the brother after.

Reactions: 4
I always got John Wayne Gacey vibes with Slivko. The arousal by death of a young man, hiding his own sexuality, drugging young men, killing young men. They look similar too. Very disturbing pictures, it makes me sad that the boys did not know what he had done and then were essentially silenced.

Have you watched the Dr.Phil interview with the brother as an adult. It just seems he is smirking through it.
I definitely agree with you, too many things pointed to the parents and brother knowing but it’s very telling how the adults ‘protected’ the brother after.
Yes I saw that too. His behaviour was very odd.

Does anyone else remember Claudia Lawrence? It is so strange...i wonder what happened to her and if we will ever find out? She disappeared into thin air, much like Maddie.

Reactions: 10
Sadly I don’t think we ever will find out. Again like Maddie there is no new evidence. I think Christopher Halliwell was mentioned on this thread/other crime thread and he has been possibly linked as it fits with him being up North and his modus operandi.

I watched the Margaret Flemming programme yesterday. My husband and I talked about it afterwards and think she was perhaps not deliberate murdered but she died as a result of the starving, restraints, being locked up etc. Definitely believe she is dead. They then covered it up so as not to lose that considerable amount of money. I do hope they reveal what happened one day.
Mostly I just felt terribly sad afterwards. What a tragic life and still no peace in death ☹

I have not see the tapes on YouTube but I followed her trial on TV. I was on maternity leave and had plenty of time. It fascinated me because she is the same age as I am. She really was and still is crazy.
yep can’t believe she got away with the death sentence aswell, crazy cold blooded killer, me me me!
But she’s just so fascinating she really thought she would get away with it by flirting 😐

Yes I saw that too. His behaviour was very odd.

Does anyone else remember Claudia Lawrence? It is so strange...i wonder what happened to her and if we will ever find out? She disappeared into thin air, much like Maddie.
I think Maddie's parents did it for sure, but by mistake. Perhaps gave her the wrong dosage and she got up in the night and banged her head or something. It's strange how they continued playing tennis not searching for her and then buggered off home quite quickly. If that were my child I would search relentlessly and so I believe they knew all along what happened to her. The way they speak about her in their book "her perfect little genitals" ugh.

With Claudia Lawrence I think someone took her, there's no way she escaped the country or fled somewhere because CCTV never picked her up anywhere. She went missing on that road, perhaps she got into a car of someone she knew. Who knows.

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.