Real Life Crime and Murder #7

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Re: baby Eleanor. Social workers do always get the flack, but from what I’ve heard from a few I loosely know - and several who posted on the Star Hobson thread - it isn’t so straightforward. Their recommendations for removal can be refused. They can be blocked by management. They’re ridiculously overworked and under resourced. So overworked that they are forced out. There are not enough of them. Hopefully any will see this and explain it better. But they simply will not be able to stop all deaths. The parents and step parents become experts at hiding stuff.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
Re: baby Eleanor. Social workers do always get the flack, but from what I’ve heard from a few I loosely know - and several who posted on the Star Hobson thread - it isn’t so straightforward. Their recommendations for removal can be refused. They can be blocked by management. They’re ridiculously overworked and under resourced. So overworked that they are forced out. There are not enough of them. Hopefully any will see this and explain it better. But they simply will not be able to stop all deaths. The parents and step parents become experts at hiding stuff.
I know , I'm no expert on social services but sometimes they can't win , they get accused of "ripping families innocent apart" but then don't do enough , can't imagine the pressure of trying to do the right thing as a social worker

Reactions: 11
Ive got to be veeeeery careful what I say here…..but it’s less about social workers in general and more about social workers at Norfolk County Council. That’s the route cause of why this baby was failed.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
Thank you for saying this. I’m a social worker - not in the UK but the systems are more or less identical. I have lost count of the number of reports I have made that are closed because they don’t meet the threshold. And it’s not always that simple, the tool we use isn’t fit for purpose and we don’t always get the support we need from the police, schools, medical etc. But these are people, adults as well as kids, who are being left in dangerous situations and you often feel sick to your stomach knowing that. But what can you do? We also have huge case loads which means we cannot properly engage with all families the way we should. Seeing a family for twenty minutes a week isn’t enough to build a relationship, form trust or really get a feel for what is going on. It’s just a job and we can only do what we have legal powers to do unfortunately 😢😢

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 23
Three of my friends went to university to do social work and left the profession after 1-4 years, they have all gone on to do completely different things. It was affecting their mental health at how overworked they were and how they were constantly prevented (for lots of different reasons) from removing children from what they thought were potentially dangerous situations. I had the mindset of social workers not doing enough until I saw my friends go through it. Very tough job 😢

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
Exactly this. It can be difficult to establish legal grounds for intervention never mind removal of a child. I’m in Scotland and we have a separate Children’s Hearing System, but I think it’s similar across the UK in that, where parents dispute grounds, the courts have to decide. We’re just the front line workers, trying to engage with families and make an assessment with recommendations that as you say, Team Leaders and line managers can and do over rule. Information gathering is tricky when families are avoidant or downright hostile, often that in itself is the assessment but it doesn’t bring a great deal of evidence. Far too often parental rights to privacy are superseding children’s rights to safety and appropriate care.

• Sad
Reactions: 12

You can't always go on appearance. You wouldn't have thought she had it in her looking at her. The poor man should have allowed the medical professionals to check him over.

• Wow
Reactions: 9

You can't always go on appearance. You wouldn't have thought she had it in her looking at her. The poor man should have allowed the medical professionals to check him over.
That's disgusting! If it wasn't her punch that caused it then they didn't say what it supposedly was? The poor man and his family. They always say "out of character" too 🙄 ridiculous!

• Angry
Reactions: 11
Social work with veterans was much too sad and overwhelming for our younger boy, also a veteran. He was out of that career in a year.
Working on the streets of a large city turned our other kid, also a veteran, into a harder person. Has no pity whatsoever for those who are not actively improving their lives. Being attacked by BLM rioters when he was in uniform standing by to provide emergency medical services stamped out the last little bit of caring he could muster for random strangers, and now is in school to change careers. :cry:

• Heart
Reactions: 4
The case of baby Eleanor has really disturbed me. I currently have a baby the same age Eleanor was when she lost her life and I can’t get her out of my head. I’m not looking to offend any social workers on this thread but why do “at risk” children keep dying and yet nobody is held accountable and nothing ever changes? There were so many red flags. I can’t understand how Eleanor was allowed to leave hospital with them when they didn’t even visit her in neonatal and it was a concealed pregnancy. My heart hurts for that poor, sweet baby girl 💔
Not a social worker but I have family who are teachers in very deprived areas. The main issue is that the thresholds are so high to even get social services involved let alone have a child taken off their parents/guardians. One relative flagged on the schools system worries he had about a pupil and that he believed social services should be contacted and the headteacher had a massive go at him, saying it didn’t meet the criteria needed and he was just causing more problems then solving them. My relative was devastated because there are so many red flags but the system is against those who try and report it.

• Sad
Reactions: 19
Social work with veterans was much too sad and overwhelming for our younger boy, also a veteran. He was out of that career in a year.
Working on the streets of a large city turned our other kid, also a veteran, into a harder person. Has no pity whatsoever for those who are not actively improving their lives. Being attacked by BLM rioters when he was in uniform standing by to provide emergency medical services stamped out the last little bit of caring he could muster for random strangers, and now is in school to change careers. :cry:
Aw I’m sorry. It hardens you.

Reactions: 3
Bobbi-Anne Mcleod’s killer has pleaded guilty.

Shortly after the neighbour saw her, 24-year-old Ackland pulled up and bundled McLeod into his vehicle, her headphones and tobacco falling to the pavement. He carried out a savage attack, striking her repeatedly and over a prolonged period with a blunt instrument. He is believed to have attacked her at the bus stop and then at other locations.
On Tuesday 23 November – three days after McLeod vanished – Ackland walked into a police station and gave himself up. He told officers where her body was and began to reveal his actions.
Detectives were shocked at the ferocity of the attack and the sort of person in front of them. Ackland seemed an ordinary young man from a respectable family with a good circle of friends and a talent for music. Very unusually for a stranger killer, he had no history of violence. He told officers what he had done – but gave no coherent reason why.

from the Guardian

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.