Real Life Crime and Murder #7

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yes I've been reading this. I'm bloody glad he was done for murder, he was clearly teeing it up for an insanity defence but I'm glad he didn't get away with it. Judging by the reports I read, even before this incident he was a nasty bastard who made loads of threats including telling the wife (of the guy he killed) he'd have her raped. When the police tried to investigate he said all the neighbours were racists and bullying him because he was Turkish. hole.

What with this case and the other one (where the husband and wife were killed by their neighbour, I'll try and find a link) it's bloody scary not knowing who you'll end up living next door to, and that a stupid dispute over parking or whatever can escalate to murder.
The neighbours had all put up CCTV cameras because of his actions and the cameras caught the murder. He couldn't argue against the camera evidence.

I've got cameras covering the front and side of my house amongst other things, plus movement activated lights, as they're easily available now, even as standalone in windows.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
I've just been reading online about poor Hakeem. I think that it's probably not attracted as much press outside the local area because (not that this makes it any better, she was still a terrible parent) it sounds more like his mum appallingly neglected him, causing his death hence the manslaughter charge, rather than murdering him as in the case of Arthur and the other poor little children like Star and Logan.

(I hope that doesn't sound like I'm defending her in any way, that's not how it's meant).

It seem Hakeem's mum wasn't even charged until last year, 4 years after he died. I can't understand why it took so long though? I know cases often take a long time from being charged to the trial actually taking place, but 4 years to just be charged seems a really long time.
Social Services failed this boy and his mother. Social Services were aware of Laura Heath way before she was pregnant with Hakeem. She was reported to them in 2012 and despite heavy evidence of neglect, they left him there. He was 18 months at the time, sleeping on the floor in an uncarpeted flat. They bought him a bed and carpet for the flat, leaving him there although Laura was in an abusive relationship and using Heroin and Cannabis to block out her pain. She loved Hakeem very much but her mental health issues (PTSD/Anxiety and Depression)/abusive relationships and addictions prevented her from being a good mother. They removed 5 of her children, years before she was pregnant with Hakeem and they live with her mother. She didn’t smoke crack and was not a sex worker in 2012, when she left the tower block that she was in (2013), she had dumped the abusive boyfriend, was on methadone, set on turning her life around, and becoming a teacher. I am not making excuses for her, just highlighting SS failings and with more intervention I believe that he would still be alive now and maybe she could’ve turned her life around. The social workers involved should also be held accountable because they left Hakeem with a vulnerable, drug addicted adult. Birmingham Social Services have so much form for failing vulnerable children and adults but they always say “lessons will be learned.” Hog wash!!!

• Sad
Reactions: 14
I can’t imagine how terrified poor Hakeem must have been, in a strange house, struggling to breathe. What a truly horrific way to die, I hope his mother cries herself to sleep every night with the guilt.

That's so odd. Sounds like something from a Midsomer Murders or similar, especially where there are several possible events that could have caused her death, some mystery bloke seen shaking her etc.
Thats exactly what I thought, its very wicker-man esque.

Reactions: 8
Has anyone else here followed this case of a problem neighbour turning homicidal?

Another police force that have to refer themselves to the IOPC. I always hear bad things about this police force and that of Avon and Somerset. As someone living in the West Country I don’t feel confident enough that the police would take any case I had seriously - so many people I’ve known who have got to both police forces for a range of issues and problems have had no support and been fobbed off.

Not exactly crime but this is bizarre! https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...truck-wooden-horse-costume-inquest-hears.html could be seen as a crime due to the altercation she had earlier in the day though..
I found that a bit hard to follow. She was potentially fatally damaged by the horse but it makes it sound like she got in multiple altercations beforehand?
Also the thing where the friend says that you are always told to face the Oss and have your hands in front of you doesn’t make sense because it travels across the town, so is this warning constantly repeated? In the video on the Daily Mail there is a man who turns his back to the Oss so it doesn’t seem like it is a hard and fast rule? It’s just quite bizarre.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
Social Services failed this boy and his mother. Social Services were aware of Laura Heath way before she was pregnant with Hakeem. She was reported to them in 2012 and despite heavy evidence of neglect, they left him there. He was 18 months at the time, sleeping on the floor in an uncarpeted flat. They bought him a bed and carpet for the flat, leaving him there although Laura was in an abusive relationship and using Heroin and Cannabis to block out her pain. She loved Hakeem very much but her mental health issues (PTSD/Anxiety and Depression)/abusive relationships and addictions prevented her from being a good mother. They removed 5 of her children, years before she was pregnant with Hakeem and they live with her mother. She didn’t smoke crack and was not a sex worker in 2012, when she left the tower block that she was in (2013), she had dumped the abusive boyfriend, was on methadone, set on turning her life around, and becoming a teacher. I am not making excuses for her, just highlighting SS failings and with more intervention I believe that he would still be alive now and maybe she could’ve turned her life around. The social workers involved should also be held accountable because they left Hakeem with a vulnerable, drug addicted adult. Birmingham Social Services have so much form for failing vulnerable children and adults but they always say “lessons will be learned.” Hog wash!!!
How can you confidently say she loved him? And that she could have turned wher life around. Maybe after her first child was taken but this was her sixth and addicts are still able of functioning - she gave him none of his medication and used his inhalers to inhale drugs. She failed her six children. Yes she was addicted to drugs but she would have had lots of opportunities and support to change - this was her 6th child and she couldn’t ensure he had a bed to sleep in. I can’t feel sorry for her. He should have been taken off her and put into a safe home. He was going to school smelling of cigarette smoke and urine. Abused from beginning to end. Someone could have loved and cherished this little boy. She didn’t deserve him. Yes she has issues but that is not love, it isn’t. 6 children down and because he wasn’t taken away like the others he ends up dead and dying in a horrific way. Did you see photos of the house and all of the drug paraphernalia?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
How can you confidently say she loved him? And that she could have turned wher life around. Maybe after her first child was taken but this was her sixth and addicts are still able of functioning - she gave him none of his medication and used his inhalers to inhale drugs. She failed her six children. Yes she was addicted to drugs but she would have had lots of opportunities and support to change - this was her 6th child and she couldn’t ensure he had a bed to sleep in. I can’t feel sorry for her. He should have been taken off her and put into a safe home. He was going to school smelling of cigarette smoke and urine. Abused from beginning to end. Someone could have loved and cherished this little boy. She didn’t deserve him. Yes she has issues but that is not love, it isn’t. 6 children down and because he wasn’t taken away like the others he ends up dead and dying in a horrific way. Did you see photos of the house and all of the drug paraphernalia?
My point was that they removed 5 of her other children before she was even pregnant with him, Social Services knew of him and if they had removed him in 2012, then he would still be alive. Maybe it would’ve given her the kick up the backside to change her life around as she knew that this was the last chance for her to be a parent (social services admitted this in 2012), she was open about getting clean and wanting to become a teacher for a better life for them both. I read the transcripts after posting, they seem to be making out that Hakeem was only a Child in Need from 2017. This was not the case. She also had the support of his father when he got out of jail around 2012/2013 but it appears from the transcripts that he went back in around 2016. Laura was not a functioning drug addict and only functioned when sober. This is why Social Services should have done something sooner. Transcripts of text messages sent that she was suicidal, couldn’t cope and saying that he deserves better does not read as a mother that does not love her child but of someone who needed help. Knowing someone that knew her, she did love her children but was not the best person to care for them. Social Services knew this and did nothing the sixth time around. I am not making excuses for her at all, I am just saying that it was common sense for SS to remove that boy at birth. Whilst Laura is responsible for his neglect, the social workers from 2012/2013 should also be held accountable. His social worker at the time of his death didn’t even know that Laura was a drug user and she didn’t move out of area, she literally moved a few roads away from a flat in 2013 to Long Acre! Where is the continuity of care?

• Wow
  • Sad
Maybe she did love him in her own messed up way. But she loved drugs and/or drink more. Which is disgusting and not something any decent parent would put before their children!! Especially 6th time around! She should of never taken another drug again and cherished that she had that little boy and another chance to be a parent (that in my opinion she didn’t deserve after the first 5 children.) social services failed him but ultimately the blame lays with her! And every other parent who doesn’t put their child first!

Reactions: 10
Maybe she did love him in her own messed up way. But she loved drugs and/or drink more. Which is disgusting and not something any decent parent would put before their children!! Especially 6th time around! She should of never taken another drug again and cherished that she had that little boy and another chance to be a parent (that in my opinion she didn’t deserve after the first 5 children.) social services failed him but ultimately the blame lays with her! And every other parent who doesn’t put their child first!
As someone who has never taken drugs, it would be easy for me to take your stance. The opinion that you have is the same that I used to have before I worked with people who have serious mental health issues in addition to other risks factors (addiction/suicidal thoughts/abusive relationships). It was so easy for me to see things in black and white before I spoke to people in similar circumstances to Laura’s. It was easy for me to say, “If they loved their child that much then they would give them to a loving home.” Words are easy when you’re not in that predicament. Giving up an addiction especially when using substances is as a coping mechanism isn’t as easy as giving up for your child or anyone else when that has been a dependable method for years, in Laura’s case decades. I can’t comment on how you formed your opinion as I don’t know your circumstances and that is your business so whilst I agree that blame lays with her, I also think that it sits at Social Services door because this whole situation could’ve been avoided if they removed him at birth or, at least in 2012 when he was reported to SS at 18 months. Even if they decided to let him stay with his mother, more could’ve been done especially when there are mothers with less significant mental health history, Anxiety and Depression, who have support workers visit daily to check on theirs and their children’s well-being to prevent neglect. We shall have to agree to disagree.

• Heart
As someone who has never taken drugs, it would be easy for me to take your stance. The opinion that you have is the same that I used to have before I worked with people who have serious mental health issues in addition to other risks factors (addiction/suicidal thoughts/abusive relationships). It was so easy for me to see things in black and white before I spoke to people in similar circumstances to Laura’s. It was easy for me to say, “If they loved their child that much then they would give them to a loving home.” Words are easy when you’re not in that predicament. Giving up an addiction especially when using substances is as a coping mechanism isn’t as easy as giving up for your child or anyone else when that has been a dependable method for years, in Laura’s case decades. I can’t comment on how you formed your opinion as I don’t know your circumstances and that is your business so whilst I agree that blame lays with her, I also think that it sits at Social Services door because this whole situation could’ve been avoided if they removed him at birth or, at least in 2012 when he was reported to SS at 18 months. Even if they decided to let him stay with his mother, more could’ve been done especially when there are mothers with less significant mental health history, Anxiety and Depression, who have support workers visit daily to check on theirs and their children’s well-being to prevent neglect. We shall have to agree to disagree.
I agree social services should of done a hell of a lot more! And yes there doesn’t seem to be a fair distribution of services!

Reactions: 3
I don’t like to blame social workers/services as they’re are woefully understaffed & under resourced. Practice hasn’t moved on & modernised & it is a terribly difficult, or just plain terrible, job to do.
However, it was clear as can be that this child should have been removed from her care. For the home conditions alone IMO. And if she has previously asked for that my heart breaks for Hakeem.
It’s easy to have a black & white attitude to addiction, but most addicts have a history of trauma (really high percentage of heroin addicts were sexually abused in childhood). And in Britain we have a society where there is very little empathy or public support for parents who are struggling.

I’m not condoning what the mum did, but unless the systems to safeguard children & support parents changes child deaths due to abuse & neglect will continue to happen at the same rate.

• Heart
I don’t like to blame social workers/services as they’re are woefully understaffed & under resourced. Practice hasn’t moved on & modernised & it is a terribly difficult, or just plain terrible, job to do.
However, it was clear as can be that this child should have been removed from her care. For the home conditions alone IMO. And if she has previously asked for that my heart breaks for Hakeem.
It’s easy to have a black & white attitude to addiction, but most addicts have a history of trauma (really high percentage of heroin addicts were sexually abused in childhood). And in Britain we have a society where there is very little empathy or public support for parents who are struggling.

I’m not condoning what the mum did, but unless the systems to safeguard children & support parents changes child deaths due to abuse & neglect will continue to happen at the same rate.
Yeah I agree with you for the most part. Laura had a lot of trauma according to the person I know that knew her in the past. This is much different to the Arthur Labinjo-Hughes case and so many others where the neglect and abuse had malicious intent. It was a case of a vulnerable adult, who probably could have done with a social worker for herself, having sole responsibility of a child when they were in no fit state and with minimal support in place. In terms of not blaming SW, I can see why blaming them would be difficult if this was her first or second child but it was her sixth and the other five had been removed. I just don’t know how it gets to this point with the service when there is so much history and previous children removed. It is so exasperating that it always seems to be the same local authorities. The issue is that the case isn’t being reported properly so I doubt that there would be an investigation done into SS.

Reactions: 6
Letting her “have a go” at keeping her sixth child when five had already been removed was insane, let’s be honest. She’d already proven her capability, or lack of.

I remember watching a Ch4 documentary years ago, can’t remember the name of it, but it was about women with babies in foster care hoping to get them returned to them. There was one young woman, I think she may have had one child removed and adopted already, and she was having to prove herself as capable of raising the second. IIRC she had been given a council flat, benefits etc but wasn’t turning up to the contact centre due to lack of bus fare or other spurious reasons. I remember a social worker making the comment that they had to draw a line when it came to facilitating everything for these women. Anyway, in the end she stopped coming to the contact centre, even when it was her last chance to see the baby before he was adopted. It was really sad. Some women are just too damaged to be mothers and Laura is one of them.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Letting her “have a go” at keeping her sixth child when five had already been removed was insane, let’s be honest. She’d already proven her capability, or lack of.

I remember watching a Ch4 documentary years ago, can’t remember the name of it, but it was about women with babies in foster care hoping to get them returned to them. There was one young woman, I think she may have had one child removed and adopted already, and she was having to prove herself as capable of raising the second. IIRC she had been given a council flat, benefits etc but wasn’t turning up to the contact centre due to lack of bus fare or other spurious reasons. I remember a social worker making the comment that they had to draw a line when it came to facilitating everything for these women. Anyway, in the end she stopped coming to the contact centre, even when it was her last chance to see the baby before he was adopted. It was really sad. Some women are just too damaged to be mothers and Laura is one of them.
I completely agree with you and I remember watching this too! It was so so sad.

I just want to clarify for everyone that I am not defending Laura, I am just wondering when SS will be held accountable. When the person that knew her told me certain facts, I just couldn’t believe it. They left a child in the care of a five times proven unfit vulnerable mother who had known substance addiction, had been in multiple abusive relationships and had substantial mental health issues. It’s akin to leaving a pyromaniac in an empty building with matches and petrol expecting nothing bad to happen. You just wouldn’t do it. This could’ve been prevented. Poor poor boy.

Was it definitely Ch4? I thought that it was BBC2 but could be wrong. I am thinking to watch it again on demand to see the process they go through again before deciding the fate of a child.

Reactions: 4
Was it definitely Ch4? I thought that it was BBC2 but could be wrong. I am thinking to watch it again on demand to see the process they go through again before deciding the fate of a child.
The one I watched was definitely Channel 4 and it was quite a long time ago, 8+ years. Wouldn’t surprise me if BBC2 had done something similar, maybe more recently.

Reactions: 1
The question I ask is, When will the government plug the resources into social care? Time and time again, ss get the flack but if the media did some basic digging, they’d find the reasons and force the Gov to respond and act. Social workers don’t get enough time with families, and regularly get lied to by the families. And their recommendations blocked. I’m not in ss btw, but I’ve read enough on here from those in the field on why the system is failing.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
The question I ask is, When will the government plug the resources into social care? Time and time again, ss get the flack but if the media did some basic digging, they’d find the reasons and force the Gov to respond and act. Social workers don’t get enough time with families, and regularly get lied to by the families. And their recommendations blocked. I’m not in ss btw, but I’ve read enough on here from those in the field on why the system is failing.
Short answer: they won’t, they don’t care about poor people or children.
(I know middle class kids can be at risk too, but the overwhelming majority of social workers’ work is with deprived families)

Reactions: 9
I read this yesterday. The treatment this poor girl and her family have suffered is appalling. No wonder so few women come forward with rape allegations when the police take this attitude. Just 12 years old :(

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
The government also doesn’t allocate its funds in a sane manner. For example anyone who knows about the NHS knows it’s a money pit, it needs restructuring and isn’t fit for purpose in most areas. But the government keeps throwing insane amount of money at it which never goes where it should. So instead of cutting back on that and re channeling the money to somewhere needed like social care, they just keep throwing money at it.
The ministry of defence is also mismanaged and wastes billions. But if a government says they are going to cut funding to the NHS and the Defence budget and restructure how it’s spent people immediately think ‘the government hates doctors and nurses! The government want use to be defenceless against Russia’ etc etc.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.