Racism Discussions

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I know she lied about a variety of men of different ethnicities. The point is, when she posted that a group of Asian men did it on Facebook, hate crimes from other members of society in that area increased drastically.
That’s true but the white men she targeted were driven to suicide by the backlash they also received, I don’t think we should minimise their experiences either, otherwise we’re only carrying on a different type of racism if only one side matters.

Reactions: 2
I’m not sure as to the reasons the bursary is being offered but the only reason I imagine is to encourage diversity.

In contrast I have never received any insults regarding race and certainly nothing online so it does leave me to wonder if posting your views has resulted in these comments and exactly what was said to warrant that.

The majority of people I know have had at least a small proportion of their deposit given to them and when my parents pass the house will be divided between myself and siblings but there is a lot of evidence which shows a big difference in ownership and learning the history of the way people were treated certainly made me feel differently about the inequality. I don’t think it would ever happen but it’s an example of how historical overt racism still impacts people today.
---
That’s true but the white men she targeted were driven to suicide by the backlash they also received, I don’t think we should minimise their experiences either, otherwise we’re only carrying on a different type of racism if only one side matters.
I’m not minimising the backlash the white men received? I was literally showing a recent example of racists hiding in plain sight. Did anyone go and damage a load of white people businesses off the back of what those white men allegedly did? No. They targeted those individuals instead of stereotyping based on race.

I think I should’ve read more of this thread before I commented 😂. It’s definitely not for me.

I’m not sure as to the reasons the bursary is being offered but the only reason I imagine is to encourage diversity.

In contrast I have never received any insults regarding race and certainly nothing online so it does leave me to wonder if posting your views has resulted in these comments and exactly what was said to warrant that.
Nothing can ever warrant racism!

90% of people in Wales are white. How can you encourage diversity when the population is mostly one race?

10% aren’t white. Do the children in that percentage not deserve to see representation
Do white people not deserve to be paid the same as everyone else?

If a black or Asian person applies for the role, then ofcourse, they should be given an equal opportunity and their merits taken in to consideration the same as anyone else. Having an unfair payment scheme is not the way to go about recruiting.

3.5% of the population of Barbados is white. Would you support a £5,000 bonus in Barbados schools for white teachers to encourage representation for the white children in Barbados?

Reactions: 3

The majority of people I know have had at least a small proportion of their deposit given to them and when my parents pass the house will be divided between myself and siblings but there is a lot of evidence which shows a big difference in ownership and learning the history of the way people were treated certainly made me feel differently about the inequality. I don’t think it would ever happen but it’s an example of how historical overt racism still impacts people today.
---

I’m not minimising the backlash the white men received? I was literally showing a recent example of racists hiding in plain sight. Did anyone go and damage a load of white people businesses off the back of what those white men allegedly did? No. They targeted those individuals instead of stereotyping based on race.

I think I should’ve read more of this thread before I commented 😂. It’s definitely not for me.
Maybe they didn’t have a business ? I’m sure lots of sex abusers have their homes and businesses attacked, it may not have been down to colour.
---
Actually the white men did have their homes attacked, the Asian business owner was called a pedalo , it was far right moved in with the hate crimes not sure it was down to the residents.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
There is nothing being said back which is useful to address any of the points I’ve been made. 10% population-wise is a huge jump from 3.5% so it’s an absolute straw-man argument. Also, of course it is down to colour why those businesses were attacked and it’s outlandish to try and suggest otherwise.

I may as well have made my points to Enoch Powell’s grave and saved my thumbs the bother. ✌🏼

• Haha
Reactions: 4
You're definitely not alone, PartTimeNoseyWitch - much of this thread makes depressing reading. 🙁 There seems a lack of basic understanding of the enduring consequences of present-day, systemic - as well as historical - racial oppression for non-whites in the UK. 'What about us white people?'they cry, indignantly. Well, spot on with the violins in reply to that. The repetitive posts from a couple of accounts on here are v. reminiscent of the migrants and Sistah Space threads, with the usual suspects digging themselves in.... As I said, depressing but hopefully representative of a small (white, no doubts) minority wanging ragefully into the void... 😩🙁

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 12
You're definitely not alone, PartTimeNoseyWitch - much of this thread makes depressing reading. 🙁 There seems a lack of basic understanding of the enduring consequences of present-day, systemic - as well as historical - racial oppression for non-whites in the UK. 'What about us white people?'they cry, indignantly. Well, spot on with the violins in reply to that. The repetitive posts from a couple of accounts on here are v. reminiscent of the migrants and Sistah Space threads, with the usual suspects digging themselves in.... As I said, depressing but hopefully representative of a small (white, no doubts) minority wanging ragefully into the void... 😩🙁
Back moderating threads I see 🙄 people can post what they want.
Could I claim for the Irish famine where people were enslaved and starved to death 🤔

• Heart
Reactions: 6
My view is that a lot of “racism” actually doesn’t stem from discrimination based on skin colour. Rather from different cultural nuances of behaviour. The problem is that often white people hold the positions of power, so their accepted methods of “the way to behave” is held as the standard and any deviation from that is considered less than.

Interesting example. I really don’t consider myself to be racist. I work in property. I had a house available to let in London and people were fighting me for this house. It was really reasonably priced and so there was a huge demand for it.

One of the applicants for this house rang me prior to viewing it several times. She was SO RUDE on the phone. She was “aggressive” (oh dear can of worms), demanding, and pushy. I thought (in advance of the property viewing) “no way am I giving it to her, she’ll be a horrible demanding tenant”.

My business partner (and actual partner lol) was the one who carried out the viewings. He is Jamaican. He came back from a day of showing this house to tell me about all the applicants and said “I want us to give it to that woman. Hear me out. She’s our tenant”. I thought “shut your face” 😂😂. He said that he too had found her really rude at first, but that she had this adorable daughter and was the most doting and adorable parent and lovely person. When he got to speaking to her he realised she was Nigerian; Yoruba Nigerian (I actually now have a really close Yoruba Nigerian male friend now who could give you all the knowledge). He explained that this lady was really nervous about finding a home for her and her daughter and that she’d been continually rejected (big surprise) by other landlords [I could have told her why - she would have said it was “racism” - which it was but not for the reasons she believed] and her apparent rudeness was nerves and this was culturally how Yoruba Nigerians expressed themselves when stressed (I know I sound like a white “Becky” in this explanation but I’m typing and it’s quite hard to put across in a message forum).

Long story short, I listened to my partner and gave in. She is the most beautiful tenant. I was interpreting her nerves as rudeness.

My point is, white people often get called racist when they receive behaviour as “unacceptable” by their standards. And POC call out white people as being racist for not understanding what they are trying to communicate.

I love a black man. Like he is me. I am ashamed to say racism matters more to me since I am in a relationship with a POC because it feels like all of a sudden I (my guy) is the target of offence. And yet I would have still dismissed this person as being rude (she was by “English” standards).

Racism is so real. I’m blonde and have never struggled. Being with a black man I’ve been trailed by the police, tutted at by old men on trains being next to him and watch the shift in how the world views me being beside him once my “access all areas pass” has been taken away.

I think CB IS aggressive. Listen to her podcast lol. She is! But I also think she’s experienced racism. I don’t think we have enough info based on what MOD typed to decide if she is racist or right or both. Everything is grey! Everything needs balance.
I've met Nigerians who are very direct and it can come across as rudeness to Brits. The thing is, it's more a cultural rather than colour, anyway. For example, I've heard Polish people here can come across as too direct and in your face to Brits.

I've met Nigerians who are very direct and it can come across as rudeness to Brits. The thing is, it's more a cultural rather than colour, anyway. For example, I've heard Polish people here can come across as too direct and in your face to Brits.
It can be hard to get the right tone when speaking in another language, you have to concentrate on finding the right words so can't think how it is coming across. There is a Nigerian origin lady who presents on BBC Radio London and she is very polite and gentle. Certainly not rude. I believe she is of Yoruban ancestry.

A lot of us also have the privilege of generational wealth, I don’t mean we’re minted but for example, my parents and grandparents and their parents were able to buy their own homes and that wealth will be passed along but many Black people were unable to access mortgages when they first came here (mainly Windrush generation) because of racist lenders so this same wealth has not been passed on for the next generations which is unfair and I do think reparations should be paid for this but it would be quite difficult to prove. Of course not every white person is in this situation but please look further into the inequality of ownership and the statistics before centring yourself in a wobble about it.
I completely agree with this, statistics would agree also but it’s a ‘not all’ situation. It should be means tested (I know it’s not plausible, parental wealth doesn’t mean personal wealth etc but to assume ethnic minority means less financially well is making a judgment based on race regardless if the judgment is correct) . I know Indian and Chinese children of doctors, lawyers, dentists; from relatively wealthy backgrounds. Will that have had less opportunities because of their race? Perhaps. But from a purely financial standpoint these people would be no more deserving than a white person so headlines like these fuel a fire. Throwing money at it is a lazy solution rather than appealing to their target in a direct way, providing clearer pathways, addressing barriers etc.

I am in no doubt that racism keeps people from progressing and that then fulfils negative stereotypes. A white person from a poor background who works hard can pull themselves up the ladder. A black person trying to do the same might have someone blocking them from stepping on it at all. If you knew that no matter how hard you worked you would be looked over, where’s the motivation to try?
IMO A top down approach is needed to remove barriers. Not financially incentivise people to try harder to break them.

Last edited:
  • Heart
This is a sweeping generalisation that is sinply not true for many cases that I know.
If you’ve spent your entire life documenting case studies of various individuals of different ethnicities and backgrounds which yields research proving racism doesn’t have a negative impact on progression and opportunities then please publish this research as I would be very interested to read it and how you measured the vast amount of variables involved in this. Unfortunately, “Sandra and Steve down the road” anecdotes don’t hold much weight in comparison to the available evidence today. I am white and struggled for many years to progress in my career even though I did everything I could - this isn’t anything to do with race. There are many people of other races who will have faced the same but it isn’t due to racism however there WILL be those who WERE affected due to racism yet there won’t be any white people who didn’t get somewhere PURELY because of the colour of their skin.

😂🤣🤣🤣 this is so painful. This isn’t solely related to race it’s also involving gender. Is this because of a mindless feeling towards the white man or rooted in hatred? No, it’s to ensure diversity of race and gender within an organisation filled with dangerous men (Wayne Couzens, David Carrick and thousands of others both accused and convicted of sexual and violent crimes). As a woman I find it so odd how other white women can’t seem to grasp the importance of diversity when it comes to race because we share similarities in ways we face inequality.

• Wow
Reactions: 7
😂🤣🤣🤣 this is so painful. This isn’t solely related to race it’s also involving gender. Is this because of a mindless feeling towards the white man or rooted in hatred? No, it’s to ensure diversity of race and gender within an organisation filled with dangerous men (Wayne Couzens, David Carrick and thousands of others both accused and convicted of sexual and violent crimes). As a woman I find it so odd how other white women can’t seem to grasp the importance of diversity when it comes to race because we share similarities in ways we face inequality.
You can't fight discrimination with discrimination. Equal opportunities should be about giving an unbiased consideration at the application and interview stage. I know people personally who have been rejected for management roles because they are white.

BBC News ran a feature "celebrating" the fact that a film released had "no white cast members". It wasn't celebrating having black cast members on the shoot, it was celebrating the exclusion of white cast members. If the word white was changed for any other race, the BBC would have been taken off air, forced to apologise, pay fines for broadcasting regulation breaches and highly likely subject to a criminal investigation. However, it wasn't. That is institutional racism.

• Heart
This is a sweeping generalisation that is sinply not true for many cases that I know.
Sorry I thought the point I was trying to make would be clearer but I’ll explain what I mean.
For a white person, anyone, of course it’s not as cut and dry a working hard. There may be generational pressure and lack of support ‘we’re not that kind of person’. Perhaps poverty means going out to work younger, having someone to care for so not having time to devote to education etc.
But, if you can manage to get educated and work hard, speak well, dress appropriately, if you walk into a job interview you’re on your abilities and personality. A person of colour will always be open to prejudice because they can’t hide their skin and some people will make assumptions based on it.

As the above comment, I’m judged as a woman constantly, as a mum, the colour of my hair, my dress sense, age etc. There’s no denying it. A person of colour can add their skin to that list and theres absolutely nothing they can do about it.

Sorry I thought the point I was trying to make would be clearer but I’ll explain what I mean.
For a white person, anyone, of course it’s not as cut and dry a working hard. There may be generational pressure and lack of support ‘we’re not that kind of person’. Perhaps poverty means going out to work younger, having someone to care for so not having time to devote to education etc.
But, if you can manage to get educated and work hard, speak well, dress appropriately, if you walk into a job interview you’re on your abilities and personality. A person of colour will always be open to prejudice because they can’t hide their skin and some people will make assumptions based on it.

As the above comment, I’m judged as a woman constantly, as a mum, the colour of my hair, my dress sense, age etc. There’s no denying it. A person of colour can add their skin to that list and theres absolutely nothing they can do about it.
(White is a colour too!), but yes, ofcourse black people face discrimination in some employment situations, I have never lived as a black woman so I am not going to discredit their lived experiences. But, white people also face discrimination in employment. The discrimination towards white people is very bold and un-hidden. It's unashamedly dished out and white people need to start saying this isn't acceptible. If you let one comment slide, it becomes a slippery slope. We have to demand respect. I fully suppory any black person who demands respect equally.

The discrimination towards white people is very bold and un-hidden. It's unashamedly dished out and white people need to start saying this isn't acceptible. If you let one comment slide, it becomes a slippery slope. We have to demand respect. I fully suppory any black person who demands respect equally.
I pop in and out of this thread but assuming this is UK focused… how? Or are you referring to classism?