Racism Discussions

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Both give him privilege but you don't seem able to see that
No, some of the poorest members of society are white. In fact, white people are the only group who are being actively and indiscreetly discriminated against by institutions, as examples in this thread show.

Reactions: 1
No, some of the poorest members of society are white. In fact, white people are the only group who are being actively and indiscreetly discriminated against by institutions, as examples in this thread show.
That's not what it means. Nobody is saying that there aren't disadvantaged white people however that's not the thing that's causing the disadvantage, that could be social class, disability, lack of education. I realise you have a blind spot on this though so you're not going to even try and understand a very well studied and accepted phenomenon

Reactions: 13
Gloria, you have such phenomenal persistence of your agenda. However it seems clear, by how often you've mentioned it, that it stems in considerable part from soreness at a Black person succeeding at a job you applied for. It's incredibly tough going when you're aplying for promotions/jobs, we've all been there yes, it stinks when you don't get the job. But rather than fixating on the skin colour of the successful job applicant, could you find a way to turn the experience around? It was either that the person was considered absolutely the best for the job, or the company was in a programme of positive discrimination, in which case the candidate would still have had to be at least as competent as the best non-Black candidate, and selected to positively discriminate. If you still feel sore about it, try thinking of it this way: that you have likely experienced a microcosm of what discrimination as a Black person feels like in every other possible way imaginable - societally, economically, health outcomes-wise, educationally, culturally, politically, and so on.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
Gloria, you have such phenomenal persistence of your agenda. However it seems clear, by how often you've mentioned it, that it stems in considerable part from soreness at a Black person succeeding at a job you applied for. It's incredibly tough going when you're aplying for promotions/jobs, we've all been there yes, it stinks when you don't get the job. But rather than fixating on the skin colour of the successful job applicant, could you find a way to turn the experience around? It was either that the person was considered absolutely the best for the job, or the company was in a programme of positive discrimination, in which case the candidate would still have had to be at least as competent as the best non-Black candidate, and selected to positively discriminate. If you still feel sore about it, try thinking of it this way: that you have likely experienced a microcosm of what discrimination as a Black person feels like in every other possible way imaginable - societally, economically, health outcomes-wise, educationally, culturally, politically, and so on.
Who are you to tell me that MY lived experiences of racism are a microcosm? I say this with respect, but only I know what I have experienced.

I know for a fact that there are several employers, many of whom are in the public sector who actively exclude white people from the selection process of recruitment.

Yes, I am persistent because if I believe in something, I will stand my ground. You will also find that others on this thread agree with me.

Your comment that suggests I am sore that black people succeed in the career world is totally incorrect. I am glad that black people succeed. Anything to stop them succeeding would be wrong and discriminatory.

Excluding white people from opportunities is wrong and discriminatory too.

Reactions: 1
Who are you to tell me that MY lived experiences of racism are a microcosm? I say this with respect, but only I know what I have experienced.

I know for a fact that there are several employers, many of whom are in the public sector who actively exclude white people from the selection process of recruitment.

Yes, I am persistent because if I believe in something, I will stand my ground. You will also find that others on this thread agree with me.

Your comment that suggests I am sore that black people succeed in the career world is totally incorrect. I am glad that black people succeed. Anything to stop them succeeding would be wrong and discriminatory.

Excluding white people from opportunities is wrong and discriminatory too.
It's like you haven't comprehended a word I wrote. Baby Giraffe's 'blind spot' was an apt description.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Gloria is incapable of seeing things from any other point of view than the rather narrow outlook that supports their bias. Because she has had a negative experience she seems to be fixated and thinks that this equates to systemic racism and is therefore unable to understand simple facts which is presumably why she just posted a laughing emoji to your post rather than trying to understand the huge volume of evidence that shows the contrary.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 11
@Gloria Rostron what is your Trying to convey exactly? Genuinely? Is it that everyone should be treated the same and they’re not? Is it that racism works both ways and we’re all on a level ground to start? Or that you’re annoyed that inclusivity often means choosing a minority for virtue signalling? Or do you really feel white privilege doesn’t exist because it’s being mitigated now? I’m getting all of these things from your posts but I don’t really understand the point you’re trying to make, if I’m reading too much into it. I’m not being facetious, genuinely trying to understand?

• Heart
Reactions: 3
But I would say that’s not a race issue. That’s just one thing in a Myriad of issues. I’d put gender higher than race, even level of education and wealth above race.
Which would suggest that "white privelege" doesn't exist.

The young people in my area who do well are the ones whose parents are able to give them loans to start university, start up a business, buy them cars to make them more employable and also have connections in various industries to slyly give them a foot up.

Which would suggest that "white privelege" doesn't exist.

The young people in my area who do well are the ones whose parents are able to give them loans to start university, start up a business, buy them cars to make them more employable and also have connections in various industries to slyly give them a foot up.
I still think it exists. I think the underlying sub conscious might judge a black young man with their own business vs white. Make assumption as to how they got there. It’s true that young black men get pulled over in cars vs white - maybe because people assume the white kid has generational wealth so can afford/was gifted it whereas the black guy hasn’t.

I appreciate it doesn’t always work in the positive or there may be an argument for xyz privilege. And it depends where you are in the country.
One might judge a young black doctor vs white as being better as they’ve had to work harder due to subconscious bias from their educators/employers. Perhaps assume an East Asian person might be more academic due to the education culture…. And so on to infinite stereotypes.
But the majority of England is white and white privileged will stand you in better stead overall imo unless you happen to be in a place where another race is dominant.

ETA: I realise privilege isn’t about other’s assumptions but assuming these hypothetical assumptions rang true

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
But the majority of England is white and white privileged will stand you in better stead overall imo unless you happen to be in a place where another race is dominant.
So, is it really a case of white privelege or a case of majority privelege?

So, is it really a case of white privelege or a case of majority privelege?
No because with privilege still exists, you’re still more likely to receive better healthcare, education etc. Perception is just a small part of it. However in a predominantly non white area being white could cause discrimination/a disadvantage socially since racism exists in every community. You’d still have all the other advantages.

Reactions: 4
No because with privilege still exists, you’re still more likely to receive better healthcare, education etc. Perception is just a small part of it. However in a predominantly non white area being white could cause discrimination/a disadvantage socially since racism exists in every community. You’d still have all the other advantages.
Rishi Sunak lives in Harrogate, a prodominantly white area and he has an array of priveleges that his neighbours won't have.