Racism Discussions

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The people that think that racism towards white people doesn't exist are massively deluded. Go visit anywhere in Africa, India, Japan....
Hmmm probably wondering what you're doing there since so many of you tell us "to eff off back home!"

I'll never forget the first time I visited my home country in Africa, walking into a posh hotel with my family to meet my uncle. We were met with glares from all the white tourists, who were silently questioning, why we'd just walked in.

You couldn't make it up! 🤣

Reactions: 2
were met with glares from all the white tourists, who were silently questioning, why we'd just walked in.
It's natural curiosity to turn around when someone walks in to a room and look at them. Are you sure you're not being paranoid? People of the same race as me will look at me all of the time when I walk in some where.
---
The people that think that racism towards white people doesn't exist are massively deluded. Go visit anywhere in Africa, India, Japan....
I have said this before but I know a girl who has a Jamaican grandfather and she says there are people in Jamaica who will shoot any white person they see, for no reason other than the colour of their skin.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1
Hmmm probably wondering what you're doing there since so many of you tell us "to eff off back home!"

I'll never forget the first time I visited my home country in Africa, walking into a posh hotel with my family to meet my uncle. We were met with glares from all the white tourists, who were silently questioning, why we'd just walked in.

You couldn't make it up! 🤣
Was this South Africa? I know two white girls that are obsessed with bragging about their scholars trip there. They think it makes them worldly 😫

also people up in arms about racism against white people, you all need to see this:

🎻

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4
Was this South Africa? I know two white girls that are obsessed with bragging about their scholars trip there. They think it makes them worldly 😫

also people up in arms about racism against white people, you all need to see this:

🎻
They sound delightful(!)

No, it was Nigeria.

Last edited:

🎻
You have shown everyone your disregard for racism.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I agree. Saying we need to play a violin for white people on the receiving end of racism. So white people just need to deal with it? It's somehow not as bad? That's a bit racist.
These are fringe incidents and nothing at all like the institutional racism that BIPOC people face. 🎻

I am white, my partner is Black. A member of my family is also mixed race which taught me about racism growing up. I am definitely more radical in my approach to racism than I suspect other white people are BUT I can also see little things which I think are unfair towards white people in SOME scenarios. I don’t think we can ever generalise firstly, when it comes to racism or what someone constitutes as racist necessarily because if you have enough conversations you will learn that what is offensive to some isn’t to others but obviously loud and overt racism is very clear to see.

I dislike some of the conversations which stem from America as they are often a totally separate scenario to us in the UK, of course racism exists in the UK but it’s different and our laws, social policies etc. are different too. Less diverse places will witness more racism. If anyone saw the story which broke a couple of days ago about Eleanor Williams, she was jailed for lying about a group of Asian men r***ing her and after she shared her story about it on Facebook, Barrow (a small place in Cumbria), there were over 150 hate crimes recorded, Indian restaurants boycotted, windows smashed etc. A lot of people have said it is her fault, I mean she certainly stirred the pot, but the fact is a lot of racists were just looking for an excuse to justify their overtly racist behaviour.

A lot of white people are subconsciously racist in certain aspects and this doesn’t necessarily mean they are a bad person as long as they aren’t offensive with it, but it just means they have to unlearn what they have been taught by society, the media etc. For example - the mean Black girl stereotype. Only individuals know whether they stereotype people based on race and it’s something that is an ongoing process. I know some of my Black female friends also subconsciously stereotype white women but this is based on experiences or for protection rather than racial basis built on racism if that makes sense. My partner often gets things like someone asking him if he likes certain rap artists (stereotyping because he is Black) but actually he likes “white people music” more than most white people 😂, things like this become tiring to deal with on a daily basis because sometimes there’s the urge to say “why just because I’m Black” but knowing this could potentially cause an issue it means he has to constantly be the bigger person. There’s so many of these I could talk all day!

The only other thing I want to add which is following on from the post about the £5k bursary for teaching candidates who aren’t white. I think this is a good thing. If there is little diversity amongst teachers this could have a negative impact on students who aren’t white, I know if me and my partner decide to have children diversity will be a factor in my decision for schools, playgroups etc. I just think a lot of people forget how easy it is for us to be white in this country, yes there may be a very rare situation where we’re called something or have a joke made about us which I don’t agree with, but we don’t have to deal with it constantly. A lot of us also have the privilege of generational wealth, I don’t mean we’re minted but for example, my parents and grandparents and their parents were able to buy their own homes and that wealth will be passed along but many Black people were unable to access mortgages when they first came here (mainly Windrush generation) because of racist lenders so this same wealth has not been passed on for the next generations which is unfair and I do think reparations should be paid for this but it would be quite difficult to prove. Of course not every white person is in this situation but please look further into the inequality of ownership and the statistics before centring yourself in a wobble about it.

Reactions: 8
I am white, my partner is Black. A member of my family is also mixed race which taught me about racism growing up. I am definitely more radical in my approach to racism than I suspect other white people are BUT I can also see little things which I think are unfair towards white people in SOME scenarios. I don’t think we can ever generalise firstly, when it comes to racism or what someone constitutes as racist necessarily because if you have enough conversations you will learn that what is offensive to some isn’t to others but obviously loud and overt racism is very clear to see.

I dislike some of the conversations which stem from America as they are often a totally separate scenario to us in the UK, of course racism exists in the UK but it’s different and our laws, social policies etc. are different too. Less diverse places will witness more racism. If anyone saw the story which broke a couple of days ago about Eleanor Williams, she was jailed for lying about a group of Asian men r***ing her and after she shared her story about it on Facebook, Barrow (a small place in Cumbria), there were over 150 hate crimes recorded, Indian restaurants boycotted, windows smashed etc. A lot of people have said it is her fault, I mean she certainly stirred the pot, but the fact is a lot of racists were just looking for an excuse to justify their overtly racist behaviour.

A lot of white people are subconsciously racist in certain aspects and this doesn’t necessarily mean they are a bad person as long as they aren’t offensive with it, but it just means they have to unlearn what they have been taught by society, the media etc. For example - the mean Black girl stereotype. Only individuals know whether they stereotype people based on race and it’s something that is an ongoing process. I know some of my Black female friends also subconsciously stereotype white women but this is based on experiences or for protection rather than racial basis built on racism if that makes sense. My partner often gets things like someone asking him if he likes certain rap artists (stereotyping because he is Black) but actually he likes “white people music” more than most white people 😂, things like this become tiring to deal with on a daily basis because sometimes there’s the urge to say “why just because I’m Black” but knowing this could potentially cause an issue it means he has to constantly be the bigger person. There’s so many of these I could talk all day!

The only other thing I want to add which is following on from the post about the £5k bursary for teaching candidates who aren’t white. I think this is a good thing. If there is little diversity amongst teachers this could have a negative impact on students who aren’t white, I know if me and my partner decide to have children diversity will be a factor in my decision for schools, playgroups etc. I just think a lot of people forget how easy it is for us to be white in this country, yes there may be a very rare situation where we’re called something or have a joke made about us which I don’t agree with, but we don’t have to deal with it constantly. A lot of us also have the privilege of generational wealth, I don’t mean we’re minted but for example, my parents and grandparents and their parents were able to buy their own homes and that wealth will be passed along but many Black people were unable to access mortgages when they first came here (mainly Windrush generation) because of racist lenders so this same wealth has not been passed on for the next generations which is unfair and I do think reparations should be paid for this but it would be quite difficult to prove. Of course not every white person is in this situation but please look further into the inequality of ownership and the statistics before centring yourself in a wobble about it.
The judge didn’t see it as hate crime she actually lied about white men raping her too, the headline didn’t reflect that,she was seen as a fantasist.
---
69327AA1-C965-4EE6-A128-B6BC03A5816E.jpeg

The judge didn’t see it as hate crime she actually lied about white men raping her too, the headline didn’t reflect that,she was seen as a fantasist.
---
View attachment 2033438
I know she lied about a variety of men of different ethnicities. The point is, when she posted that a group of Asian men did it on Facebook, hate crimes from other members of society in that area increased drastically.

• Sad

I am very ambivalent about your post. I do agree with some things you are saying. I don't believe it can be said that either all white or all black people are subconsciously racist. I am not denying that some people do hold those prejdice thoughts but I know white people who treat black people exactly the same as if they were the same race and vice versa.

America is more divided in terms of racial communities than here. For example, the population of mixed race children and families is quite low. But, America has vast space between towns, whole deserts in fact, each state is like a different country.

I have heard a black lady on YouTube criticise white people for liking Elvis Presley's music, she said that black people invented rock and roll and that white people are stealing black culture by listening to Elvis. I don't agree that there is white music and black music, I think music is music. Ofcourse, there are cultural elements, that may be contained in the lyrics but no two white people and no two black people behave the same way.

I really disagree with paying white teachers £5,000 less in Wales. Equality means everyone is treated equally. Consequently, everyone should be paid equally who does the same job.

I am white and I have received racist insults towards me on a regular basis, in person and face to face. Twitter is plagued by anti white racist remarks, the kind of remarks that if were said about a non-white person, would result in the poster's IP address (this lie that influencers spread explained here) being traced and them arrested and prosecuted.

I don't know that wealth is being passed on to anyone these days, I am in my 20s and I don't know anyone who has inhereted a house or the funds to buy a house. The black children who I grew up around seem to have had the same opportunities as the white children. Reparation payments would punish the younger generation, the working age tax payers, when they weren't even born when Windrush people were trying to buy homes. You can't blame someone for something they had no involvement in just because of the colour of their skin.