Racism Discussions

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Rishi Sunak lives in Harrogate, a prodominantly white area and he has an array of priveleges that his neighbours won't have.
Again, white privilege doesn’t mean that all white people in the UK have an overall greater privilege than all people of colour. Nobody is saying that, it’s cumulative, for example I win by being middle class and white but lose by being a woman. Rishi has the status and advantages of wealth and position which will obviously count for a lot but he will still be judged (often subconsciously) for his skin colour even though the impact will probably be greatly cushioned by his other privileges. It’s really very simple to understand.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Rishi Sunak lives in Harrogate, a prodominantly white area and he has an array of priveleges that his neighbours won't have.
Rishi and his wife are 222nd richest people in the UK! They’re hardly representative. It’s a ‘not all’ deal.
He and Obama have been frequently derided as ‘coconuts’ - they experience racism.

Reactions: 5
Rishi and his wife are 222nd richest people in the UK! They’re hardly representative. It’s a ‘not all’ deal.
He and Obama have been frequently derided as ‘coconuts’ - they experience racism.
By who?

Reactions: 1
Various slurs of that kind to imply white on the inside, black on the outside are used in relation to both some arseholes with an agenda. It’s a minority but it happens.

Here are a few links. One’s about Sajid Javid

Reactions: 6
I know, these made up memes get posted all the time and people keep nodding away ridiculously as it fits their views
It’s of the same ilk of covid misinformation and “share this if you’re sick of the algorithm so you can see more posts from your friends”. If it’s on a meme then it must be true. Even if it is true, life is far more meaningful than being upset by a lack of diversity.

Reactions: 3
I can’t find anything confirming this is what happened. The only thing I can find is a BBC article that says this:

Last week, there was high-profile coverage when a school in Lincolnshire, with few ethnic minority pupils, was not found to be outstanding because pupils lacked "first-hand experience of the diverse make-up of modern British society".

This was reported as a school being criticised as "too white".

There is a Telegraph article that discusses it which I suspect is what inspired this meme. It says in the opening lines, “downgrading a top rural primary school for effectively being too English....” “effectively” meaning that actually, Ofsted did not say this and it’s just what the journalist interpreted their recommendation to mean. It’s an astoundingly stupid interpretation IMO.

You can probably find the original Ofsted report and I guarantee you it does not say “this school is too white” anywhere inside it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
I can’t find anything confirming this is what happened. The only thing I can find is a BBC article that says this:

Last week, there was high-profile coverage when a school in Lincolnshire, with few ethnic minority pupils, was not found to be outstanding because pupils lacked "first-hand experience of the diverse make-up of modern British society".

This was reported as a school being criticised as "too white".

There is a Telegraph article that discusses it which I suspect is what inspired this meme. It says in the opening lines, “downgrading a top rural primary school for effectively being too English....” “effectively” meaning that actually, Ofsted did not say this and it’s just what the journalist interpreted their recommendation to mean. It’s an astoundingly stupid interpretation IMO.

You can probably find the original Ofsted report and I guarantee you it does not say “this school is too white” anywhere inside it.
I looked it up when I first saw the meme. It’s something about a lack of awareness about other cultures and diversity. Nothing to do with the colour of the children’s skins. But of course most of us capable of rational thinking are able to work that out ourselves instead of blindly sharing memes 🤣🤣

I have that one on mute already but I had to unmute to see what it was everyone was replying to. Back to muting, you can’t debate with stupid lads. 🤣😅

• Haha
Reactions: 7
This is the report https://files.ofsted.gov.uk/v1/file/2432799
It suggests the school should…. Extend pupils’ understanding of the cultural diversity of modern British society by creating opportunities for them to have first-hand interaction with their counterparts from different backgrounds beyond the immediate locality.

My primary was all white, high school had 1 mixed heritage black and 3 Chinese students. They were outstanding and good respectively.
We still learned about Diwali, Hahukkah, Eid, Chinese new year and so on, had speakers in, school trips. That’s all it seems to be suggesting.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Is this a poor attempt at explaining white privilege or is he really this awful 🤔

---
It suggests the school should…. Extend pupils’ understanding of the cultural diversity of modern British society by creating opportunities for them to have first-hand interaction with their counterparts from different backgrounds beyond the immediate locality.

My primary was all white, high school had 1 mixed heritage black and 3 Chinese students. They were outstanding and good respectively.
We still learned about Diwali, Hahukkah, Eid, Chinese new year and so on, had speakers in, school trips. That’s all it seems to be suggesting.
We don’t have very diverse schools in NI ( my area) must be the fact most belong to the parish so only one religion is taught , we don’t learn any other religion outside of our own .

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1

I appreciate this because when I first saw that meme above, I immediately thought "which school?" and then when I knew that, I was going to find the Ofsted report itself. You did the work for me. 😂 I would much prefer to read directly from the source, rather than someone else's interpretation of it.

I agree with what you've said about their suggestion. The actual text is:

Extend pupils’ understanding of the cultural diversity of modern British society by creating opportunities for them to have first-hand interaction with their counterparts from different backgrounds beyond the immediate locality.

This could be addressed by school trips, it's not suggesting the school is "too white" or that it needs more BAME pupils or staff.

I think the issue is that the people who would benefit most from the above (ie those who believe and spread those sort of memes) aren't usually interested in more information, probably because they want to believe the meme is true. They're not often interested in the facts.

Reactions: 5
The meme's a disgrace. I found this article debunking the whole lot, and linking to the actual Ofsted report which was totally misquoted in the Mail, Telegraph etc (this was in 2013 by the way!) and in memes like the one above.

The article author mentions, worryingly, that "the The Steadfast Trust, a charity dedicated to pretending that the English are more oppressed than any other ethnic group in the country, inevitably went with the distorted version of the story. According to the comments posted by the Steadfast Trust's supporters, Ofsted are racist and part of a metropolitan elite that doesn't want the English to exist..." and it goes on to quote some of these choice, eye-wateringly racist, online comments posted at the time. 😬🙁

Some of you lot defo need to learn the difference between race based oppression and class based oppression.
There are huge numbers of white people who do not have access to opportunities and spend their whole lives in poverty, but it’s not because they’ve got white skin.

What's so annoying about that meme is that this sort of rubbish is so pervasive on social media (especially twitter and facebook). How daft, or plain troublemaking, do you have to be to take a meme you see online at face value with absolutely no groundwork to check its source story or extrapolate whether there's any shred of truth to it (more likely it 's fabricated/manipulated) then share it on social media? Absolute jerks who do this. 😩🙁

Reactions: 2
It's been 30 years since Stephen Lawrence's murder.

I was nine when he was murdered and remember it being all over the news. It was probably one of the first times in my life I truly learned what racism was and how rampant it can be.

One of the few good things the Daily Mail has ever done was their coverage of this murder, although commenters have the most bizarre hatred for Baroness Lawrence that shows how racism is still a big problem today.