Questions for those who have been through menopause

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
48 when a friend told me that my forgetfulness could be Peri then I went off and did some research and I'd say 46. Insomnia, panic attacks, anxiety, intermittent loss of interest. Wish someone had told me, I sold my business thinking that was the problem.

I had that, makes me realise why so any marriages fail around this time.
It’s such a horrible place to be 😢

Question!

What age to you believe your peri symptoms started? I know it can be hard to pinpoint exactly. But if you had to trace back, how old were you are what do you think were your first signs?

❤
This is such a good question, because so many women (myself included), don’t know what to expect, and when. When I was at school we knew what to expect from periods (shout out to the special class from the Tampax Lady!). But we don’t get anything like that for peri and menopause.

I don’t want to say for sure until I see my GP but I really think I’m experiencing peri symptoms in my late 30s.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
45, started with a frozen shoulder. Now know this is a symptom of perimenopause 😒
Within the space of 3 months I started suffering insomnia, anxiety, panic attacks and a prolapsed disc. Still not had a hot flush and with a mirena I don't get periods so didn't make the link. I also started noticing a periodic fishy smell which I thought was because my mirena was getting old and my period was trying to restart. Now I smell dogshit everywhere instead :ROFLMAO: , bleeping weird

Reactions: 2
45, started with a frozen shoulder. Now know this is a symptom of perimenopause 😒
Yes it’s really common. I had it and two of my friends.

I also started age 45 and had a lot of joint aches and feelings of extreme tiredness and low mood. I then started getting a dry vagina (and really dry skin). I lost my sex drive and even if I have sex I found I lost my ability to orgasm. It just sort of peters out just as I reach orgasm! Most annoying!

Feelings of inadequacy, losing confidence, anxiety, brain fog etc, etc. The list is endless really!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I was one of the frozen shoulder club. It has gone now. Took a year and a half to go.

Also plantar fasciitis is common. Weight loss and not completely flat shoes helped.

Joint aches. Tumeric has helped.

Used to have slim calves, now they are much bigger and if I don’t exercise, they puff up. Never had a problem before. Something to do with circulation when you get to menopause. Movement is key to everything. I have also developed arthritis in knees, but that is more general wear and tear and weight I think.

Acid reflux, never had it before. Now I do.

Insomnia. Worry - I have been a ballsy type of woman all my life, now I doubt myself, I am more diffident. It’s like I have a layer of skin removed (but with more fat). I never used to worry what people thought, now I do. My shoulders seem permanently hunched with tension, around my ears, even though I have nowt to worry about. (Interestingly my husband also has had a personality change in mid life. He is now anxious and unsure of himself. He is ace at his jobs, gets loads of plaudits and bonuses for being successful, but now he doubts himself even though he is doing the same thing.) I see midlife as a transition into old age just like puberty was a transition to adulthood. You kind of feel the same confusion.

Not much in the way of flushes, they go completely when I take sage tablets.

This is not an exhaustive list of my ailments but who has time to list them all!

Hormones affect so many areas. Who knew!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I was one of the frozen shoulder club. It has gone now. Took a year and a half to go.

Also plantar fasciitis is common. Weight loss and not completely flat shoes helped.

Joint aches. Tumeric has helped.

Used to have slim calves, now they are much bigger and if I don’t exercise, they puff up. Never had a problem before. Something to do with circulation when you get to menopause. Movement is key to everything. I have also developed arthritis in knees, but that is more general wear and tear and weight I think.

Acid reflux, never had it before. Now I do.

Insomnia. Worry - I have been a ballsy type of woman all my life, now I doubt myself, I am more diffident. It’s like I have a layer of skin removed (but with more fat). I never used to worry what people thought, now I do. My shoulders seem permanently hunched with tension, around my ears, even though I have nowt to worry about. (Interestingly my husband also has had a personality change in mid life. He is now anxious and unsure of himself. He is ace at his jobs, gets loads of plaudits and bonuses for being successful, but now he doubts himself even though he is doing the same thing.) I see midlife as a transition into old age just like puberty was a transition to adulthood. You kind of feel the same confusion.

Not much in the way of flushes, they go completely when I take sage tablets.

This is not an exhaustive list of my ailments but who has time to list them all!

Hormones affect so many areas. Who knew!
It's the decrease in testosterone that causes that.

Reactions: 1
I feel peri started around 41/42 years old for me. I wish I’d known much more about it then

Reactions: 2
I can remember my Mum going through it and I worked out she would have been 49 (but had probably had it a few years previous) but the things she was experiencing both me and one of my sisters have also experienced which is a feeling of depression and wanting to run away from it all. I can remember my Mum's hot flushes as she would say 'open that door, it's boiling' then 10 minutes later 'close that door, it's freezing'!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Things have been going well for last few months since I started on gel estrogen and pill form progesterone. That is until end of last week my breasts are heavy and sore and I’m super tired and irritable. Do I need less/ more of what I’m taking? My breasts feel as though they are dragging me down.

Things have been going well for last few months since I started on gel estrogen and pill form progesterone. That is until end of last week my breasts are heavy and sore and I’m super tired and irritable. Do I need less/ more of what I’m taking? My breasts feel as though they are dragging me down.
Sore boobs are the worst! I’ve not been on that combi of Hrt. However before I knew it was the menopause, I used to take starflower oil. They used to make a difference to the pain. Also saw this on menopause dr insta page the other day

Attachments

Hi all. Decided to find a thread with perimenopause discussion as I believe I'm fully in it now at the mid 40s mark. Reading about the symptoms others have experienced is reassuring although I wish we didn't have to go through this!

The worst thing, along with the awful loss of confidence and second guessing myself all the time, anxiety, weight gain, low mood and crying, is awful nausea. Does anyone else get this? If so what helps relieve it given it is hormonal? I haven't yet gone to see a GP; I've just started to take some supplements to see if they help. I am also so very tired! I already take magnesium which used to help with general tiredness but doesn't seem to be doing much now. 😕

Hi all. Decided to find a thread with perimenopause discussion as I believe I'm fully in it now at the mid 40s mark. Reading about the symptoms others have experienced is reassuring although I wish we didn't have to go through this!

The worst thing, along with the awful loss of confidence and second guessing myself all the time, anxiety, weight gain, low mood and crying, is awful nausea. Does anyone else get this? If so what helps relieve it given it is hormonal? I haven't yet gone to see a GP; I've just started to take some supplements to see if they help. I am also so very tired! I already take magnesium which used to help with general tiredness but doesn't seem to be doing much now. 😕
Yes I get the nausea and it is so similar to the nausea I had in pregnancy, so obviously hormone related. I don't take anything specific for it. I try an antihistamine or peppermint tea but it seems to improve if I go out in the fresh air for a walk. It's always worse in the mornings.

Yes I get the nausea and it is so similar to the nausea I had in pregnancy, so obviously hormone related. I don't take anything specific for it. I try an antihistamine or peppermint tea but it seems to improve if I go out in the fresh air for a walk. It's always worse in the mornings.
Thanks. Agree it feels like pregnancy nausea although I am definitely not pregnant. Mine fluctuates all day at the moment. It was terrible before my period interestingly enough, makes sense with hormones. Fun times.

There are quite a lot of links between pregnancy and menopause simply because both involve hormone surges. The heightened sense of smell is the one I got but seems to only b for unpleasant smells, dog tit, that wet dog smell and fish. Another weird one I got for about 6 months was clumsiness, I kept walking into things that had been in the same place for ever or falling over and I also had a bout of labrythinitus which in hindsight was probably hormonal too as it was within the same timeframe as a group of menopause symptoms I had.

There are quite a lot of links between pregnancy and menopause simply because both involve hormone surges. The heightened sense of smell is the one I got but seems to only b for unpleasant smells, dog tit, that wet dog smell and fish. Another weird one I got for about 6 months was clumsiness, I kept walking into things that had been in the same place for ever or falling over and I also had a bout of labrythinitus which in hindsight was probably hormonal too as it was within the same timeframe as a group of menopause symptoms I had.
the clumsiness is me these last few weeks, I'm dropping things and walking into things, even people!

Gosh, amazing how much is affected by the menopause
After spending 6 years tracking and diarising I have come to the conclusion that there is literally no bodily function that isn't affected by hormones (or lack of them) It is why I am absolutely dead set against hormone blockers for children. Medicine has not done nearly enough research on hormones and their impact on the body to start messing with puberty.

Reactions: 4