Questions for those who have been through menopause

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hey! Longtime lurker but I thought I would respond and give you advice based on my experience. I started noticing a difference in my moods back in 2018. In 2019 my periods were regular to the point of lasting for weeks.
Peri does exacerbate ADHD and depression so (in my opinion) there could be a link there.
Go to the dr and ask to have your bloods checked. They might push back as they have zero resources in regards to female heath these days, but be firm and ask for a hormone check.

Good luck x
Thank you. That’s interesting to know that peri exacerbates ADHD and depression, because now I need to figure out where one ends and the other begins if that makes sense.

It’s like, I often get anxiety and feel really warm when I’m starting to panic, but now that’s happening more, and I don’t know if that’s just the usual anxiety or if it’s hot flushes? (Sorry, I’m not expecting you or anyone to answer, just thinking out loud.).

Thank you again. I’m grateful this thread exists, because it’s a lot to get your head around, I thought it would be a few years before this would happen x

Thank you. That’s interesting to know that peri exacerbates ADHD and depression, because now I need to figure out where one ends and the other begins if that makes sense.

It’s like, I often get anxiety and feel really warm when I’m starting to panic, but now that’s happening more, and I don’t know if that’s just the usual anxiety or if it’s hot flushes? (Sorry, I’m not expecting you or anyone to answer, just thinking out loud.).

Thank you again. I’m grateful this thread exists, because it’s a lot to get your head around, I thought it would be a few years before this would happen x
I never had anxiety until Peri, in fact, in hindsight that, the prolapsed disc and insomnia all occurred within a few months. I've not had hot flushes but did get a few night sweats where I had anxiety which triggered the sweats.
Don't let the GP fob you off however the test they use ( FSH) is useless if you are in Peri. It can tell you that your in Peri but it can't confirm you're not due to the nature of Peri which is basically fluctuating hormones so you could be fine the day they test. Read the NICE guidelines before you go to GP

Reactions: 1

Honestly, if it weren’t for my friend who had randomly shared with me she was peri, I would have thought I was going mad. Funnily enough a male dr picked up on it at the very beginning. The female dr’s I’ve had have not been the best.
We do need to normalise peri. Our mother’s generation did not talk about it hence why the lack of knowledge.
Oh and peri 💯 exacerbates depression and is linked to ADHD. I actually started sertraline and that also helps with peri symptoms.

Sounds like you’re defo having hot flushes. Your anxiety is probably making it worse and it is making your anxiety worse. Oh, it’s a man’s world eh??

I’m roughly 3 years into peri and haven’t had a period in 3 months. I found the peri symptoms coming back thick and strong, extreme fatigue being one of them so I decided to go back on my HRT.

Honestly, if it weren’t for my friend who had randomly shared with me she was peri, I would have thought I was going mad. Funnily enough a male dr picked up on it at the very beginning. The female dr’s I’ve had have not been the best.
We do need to normalise peri. Our mother’s generation did not talk about it hence why the lack of knowledge.
Oh and peri 💯 exacerbates depression and is linked to ADHD. I actually started sertraline and that also helps with peri symptoms.

Sounds like you’re defo having hot flushes. Your anxiety is probably making it worse and it is making your anxiety worse. Oh, it’s a man’s world eh??

I’m roughly 3 years into peri and haven’t had a period in 3 months. I found the peri symptoms coming back thick and strong, extreme fatigue being one of them so I decided to go back on my HRT.
Interesting 're Drs. I've had that argument myself women assume a female GP will be better but I've not had that experience, in fact I've found Men in general more interested when I've discussed it. A lot of them have wives and want to understand but the wives are in denial. I've also found women saying they didn't have a problem, while their family stand there in shock because they witnessed the change in behaviour

Hi everyone, I’ve not read through the whole thread, so sorry if I’ve missed things that have been answered already.

I’m in my late 30s and just realised I might be going through peri menopause. I had really bad night sweats last night, it’s happened a few times recently. The thing is, the other symptoms are hard to figure out, as I’m currently going through quite a bad period of depression, and have ADHD, so I feel really low and get brain fog all the time anyway.

Is it worth asking a GP about this? I’m worried about wasting their time, because my periods are still exactly the same as always. And I’m worried I might just be jumping on another reason for my mental health problems while I’m on a long waiting list to get help.
I would certainly see your GP about your night sweats as that can be a sign of other things rather than just menopause.

Depression can cause night sweats though. Are you on medication?

For peri menopause, my GP asked if there had been any changes to my periods (they were getting closer together but still regular) as well as the other symptoms I had.

Interesting 're Drs. I've had that argument myself women assume a female GP will be better but I've not had that experience, in fact I've found Men in general more interested when I've discussed it. A lot of them have wives and want to understand but the wives are in denial. I've also found women saying they didn't have a problem, while their family stand there in shock because they witnessed the change in behaviour
You’re bang on about the women being in denial. I was that woman at one point. That’s what society has done to us!

I would certainly see your GP about your night sweats as that can be a sign of other things rather than just menopause.

Depression can cause night sweats though. Are you on medication?

For peri menopause, my GP asked if there had been any changes to my periods (they were getting closer together but still regular) as well as the other symptoms I had.
i hadn’t even thought of that but it makes so much sense, thank you! I’ll book an appointment because it’s worth it for the night sweats alone.

Yes, I’ve been on medication for a while, but never experienced this from them.

It’s useful to know what kind of things will be asked, thank you?

i hadn’t even thought of that but it makes so much sense, thank you! I’ll book an appointment because it’s worth it for the night sweats alone.

Yes, I’ve been on medication for a while, but never experienced this from them.

It’s useful to know what kind of things will be asked, thank you?
Agh sorry, quoting myself to say that should have been “thank you!” at the end, and not with a question mark, maybe it is brain fog 🤣

• Haha
I'm sitting here wondering where the hell my period has gone, as I'm 100% certain I'm not pregnant... did a bit of Googling & now I'm pretty sure I'm perimenopausal (I'm 40) and I just knew there would be a useful thread on here.

I don't have the kind of relationship with my mother where I could ask her how her menopause was... so I'm going to guess that my night sweats, insomnia, constant muscle & joint pain & now mystery periods are a sign of the menopause coming my way... yay😑

Reactions: 2
You’re bang on about the women being in denial. I was that woman at one point. That’s what society has done to us!
I'm sitting here wondering where the hell my period has gone, as I'm 100% certain I'm not pregnant... did a bit of Googling & now I'm pretty sure I'm perimenopausal (I'm 40) and I just knew there would be a useful thread on here.

I don't have the kind of relationship with my mother where I could ask her how her menopause was... so I'm going to guess that my night sweats, insomnia, constant muscle & joint pain & now mystery periods are a sign of the menopause coming my way... yay😑
Yep almost certainly

It's a shame you can't ask your Mother. Menopause often follows the same pattern as your mothers, so I wonder if she started hers around your age? I and my sisters have all followed my Mother and are late into peri and menopause. I'm in my mid 50's and still have regular periods.

As an aside, do get your Vitamin D levels checked as mine were really low and I had fatigue and muscle and joint pain.

It's a shame you can't ask your Mother. Menopause often follows the same pattern as your mothers, so I wonder if she started hers around your age? I and my sisters have all followed my Mother and are late into peri and menopause. I'm in my mid 50's and still have regular periods.

As an aside, do get your Vitamin D levels checked as mine were really low and I had fatigue and muscle and joint pain.
Good god I hope I'm not still having periods I'm my 50s, I'm sick of them already!😂They used to be pretty regular, but last 6 months or so they've been very light, and now I'm onto day 32 of my current cycle with NOTHING. It's weird!

My mother has had many, many health issues which I've luckily not inherited, but yeah there's no way of knowing if my menopause will be similar to hers.

I already take vitamin D supplements. I just need to start doing more exercise as well, my weight has gone up quite a bit in the last 9 months for no apparent reason and I don't want to keep getting bigger... as well as older😩

Good god I hope I'm not still having periods I'm my 50s, I'm sick of them already!😂They used to be pretty regular, but last 6 months or so they've been very light, and now I'm onto day 32 of my current cycle with NOTHING. It's weird!

My mother has had many, many health issues which I've luckily not inherited, but yeah there's no way of knowing if my menopause will be similar to hers.

I already take vitamin D supplements. I just need to start doing more exercise as well, my weight has gone up quite a bit in the last 9 months for no apparent reason and I don't want to keep getting bigger... as well as older😩
I seem to be an oddity amongst my friends who are all through peri and into menopause. The Dr said I am a bit unusual but shouldn’t wish it upon myself and hang on to my estrogen as long as I can (easy for him to say!) But yeah I am a bit fed up to still be plodding along!

It sounds like you’ve been in peri a while already (it can last 10 years 😩). You need to go a year without a period to be into menopause so it’s a long hard slog.

I also gained weight but have managed to lose weight 1.5 stone but am still overweight.

I seem to be an oddity amongst my friends who are all through peri and into menopause. The Dr said I am a bit unusual but shouldn’t wish it upon myself and hang on to my estrogen as long as I can (easy for him to say!) But yeah I am a bit fed up to still be plodding along!

It sounds like you’ve been in peri a while already (it can last 10 years 😩). You need to go a year without a period to be into menopause so it’s a long hard slog.

I also gained weight but have managed to lose weight 1.5 stone but am still overweight.
It's 2 years if you're under 50. Also your GP is right about hanging onto your Estrogen. I've decide to go on hrt and I'm staying on it till I did. There's a very definite link with Alzheimer's. Women who have an hysterectomy pre menopause have a higher risk of dementia

• Wow
It's 2 years if you're under 50. Also your GP is right about hanging onto your Estrogen. I've decide to go on hrt and I'm staying on it till I did. There's a very definite link with Alzheimer's. Women who have an hysterectomy pre menopause have a higher risk of dementia
I didn’t realise that about under 50’s but it explains why some of my friends reached menopause so quickly.

It’s good women can stay on HRT for life now instead of in my Mum’s day when she was taken off it due to the bc risk.

Has anyone had their digestive system slow down in peri? Like more issues with constipation.
I've got issues with my 💩 which I've never had before

I'd say very active too but I'd aim for active and know I've got extra in the tank if needed so I don't have to beat myself up

I am 47 and my last 3 periods have been very light compared to usual but are still regular so assuming I am in peri, I have no other symptoms so far. My Mam was 56 when her periods stopped so I am hoping mine stop before then. I am starting back in the Agnus Castus as that has been recommended by my friends, they all seem to take it to help with any symptoms

Has anyone had their digestive system slow down in peri? Like more issues with constipation.
Yes and I’ve also developed a lot of intolerance to foods I used to have no problem with. My diet is quite bland now as so many foods started irritating my stomach and upsetting my digestive system.