Questions for those who have been through menopause

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It doesn’t work for me either.

Here’s another link for anyone interested.
https://thebms.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/BMS-Menopause-Practice-Standards-JULY2022-01D.pdf
If alternatives to HRT are not for you please pass by this post. I’m not interested in getting into an argument I have better things to do with my time. I’m merely posting things I have found informative with reputable links, nothing more.

For those concerned about bone health and cannot, or don’t wish to take HRT they might find the links below of interest.
My mother now in her 80’s who’s always been very active (had been on HRT patches 15 years +) fractured both hips at different times, she had hip replacements and was also put on calcium. It‘s now thought Magnesium is crucial for bone health/density.
Magnesium also plays an important role in cardiovascular health. Lots off reputable information online if anyone is interested. It should go without saying check that anything you take is right for you.

A couple of links one on bone health, the other cardiovascular health

Attachments

Last edited:
Is there a blood test that check for magnesium at all? I requested a bone profile blood test as part of my annual FBC, which was normal. I've heard really good things about magnesium and also know a lot of people take it for chronic constipation. I am a bit sensitive in this area and worried it could trigger IBS.

Reactions: 1
Is there a blood test that check for magnesium at all? I requested a bone profile blood test as part of my annual FBC, which was normal. I've heard really good things about magnesium and also know a lot of people take it for chronic constipation. I am a bit sensitive in this area and worried it could trigger IBS.
Unfortunately blood tests for magnesium are not brilliant, as only small amounts are present in the blood. I also have IBS, I’ve had it since late teens the medication made me feel awful and sleepy. I saw another GP who suggested probiotics which made a huge difference for me. If you want to try magnesium I would start on the smallest dose and take it slowly. There are various forms and types of magnesium, magnesium oxide being one of them. It’s one of the cheapest but can cause tummy issues, magnesium glycinate is gentler. There are also magnesium gels/salts that are absorbed through the skin, they can also cause tummy issues especially if prone to being loose rather than constipated so best to start with a small amount rather than the RDA.

Edit. I’ve also just added a a screenshot of magnesium deficiency symptoms. As with any deficiency symptoms they maybe related to low magnesium or something else, it’s just a guideline. There are other deficiency lists online but this one was from an NHS link.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Heart
Unfortunately blood tests for magnesium are not brilliant, as only a small amounts are present in the blood. I also have IBS, I’ve had it since late teens the medication made me feel awful and sleepy. I saw another GP who suggested probiotics which made a huge difference for me. If you want to try magnesium I would start on the smallest dose and take it slowly. There are various forms and types of magnesium, magnesium oxide being one of them. It’s one of the cheapest but can cause tummy issues, magnesium glycinate is gentler. There are also magnesium gels/salts that are absorbed through the skin, they can also cause tummy issues especially if prone to being loose rather than constipated so best to start with a small amount rather than the RDA.
Thanks. I have a bit of a funny gut. Was mostly constipated last year but then found Psyllium Husk helped me a lot - but then I have to be careful not to trigger myself too far the other way or I end up all gassy and BM's more unpredictable.

Thanks. I have a bit of a funny gut. Was mostly constipated last year but then found Psyllium Husk helped me a lot - but then I have to be careful not to trigger myself too far the other way or I end up all gassy and BM's more unpredictable.
I completely understand having been there myself with both extremes. Constipation can be a sign of low magnesium as I found out later on.

Magnesium is also important for anyone taking Vit D (which many of us do) as it can deplete Magnesium along with stress and other things. Magnesium also regulates vitD so if you have too much it reduces it, not enough it helps you absorb VitD. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/12/181214093837.htm

Edit. Also for anyone on antibiotics if you take magnesium stop taking it whilst on them, or leave a few hours apart as it can reduce the effectiveness of some antibiotics.

Attachments

Last edited:
I completely understand having been there myself with both extremes. Constipation can be a sign of low magnesium as I found out later on.

Magnesium is also important for anyone taking Vit D (which many of us do) as it can deplete Magnesium along with stress and other things. Magnesium also regulates vitD so if you have too much it reduces it, not enough it helps you absorb VitD. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/12/181214093837.htm

Edit. Also for anyone on antibiotics if you take magnesium stop taking it whilst on them, or leave a few hours apart as it can reduce the effectiveness of some antibiotics.
Can I ask what probiotics you take/took?

Reactions: 2
Can I ask what probiotics you take/took?
Hi
I take Holland & Barrett’s Acidophilus, they also do ones for people who are lactose intolerant. They need to be kept in the fridge once opened (it states it on the bottle but it’s in very tiny writing so it’s not always seen) otherwise heat kills off the the friendly bacteria. I’ve taken the H&B ones regularly for many many years. Sometimes I switch to Bio-Kult Digestive (I buy online), these don’t need to be stored in the fridge, so good when travelling, although I do keep them in the fridge when it’s hot weather.
I always take them with a cold drink rather than hot. I thought it worth mentioning about the fridge and taking with cold drink as I’d hate anyone wasting money buying them and then killing off the vital ingredients.
Sometimes they can upset your tummy a little for a few days at the beginning, although I didn’t find that. I only take 1 a day with food although you can take 2. Also if they do upset your tummy I would try having it every other day until it settles down.
If you’re on antibiotics they’re a god send as they replace the good bacteria that antibiotics kill off. Also if you take them while on antibiotics (which I do as I take one everyday) take them a couple of hours before or after, as antibiotics will just kill the good bacteria off.
Hope that helps.

Attachments

• Heart
Hi
I take Holland & Barrett’s Acidophilus, they also do ones for people who are lactose intolerant. They need to be kept in the fridge once opened (it states it on the bottle but it’s in very tiny writing so it’s not always seen) otherwise heat kills off the the friendly bacteria. I’ve taken the H&B ones regularly for many many years. Sometimes I switch to Bio-Kult Digestive (I buy online), these don’t need to be stored in the fridge, so good when travelling, although I do keep them in the fridge when it’s hot weather.
I always take them with a cold drink rather than hot. I thought it worth mentioning about the fridge and taking with cold drink as I’d hate anyone wasting money buying them and then killing off the vital ingredients.
Sometimes they can upset your tummy a little for a few days at the beginning, although I didn’t find that. I only take 1 a day with food although you can take 2. Also if they do upset your tummy I would try having it every other day until it settles down.
If you’re on antibiotics they’re a god send as they replace the good bacteria that antibiotics kill off. Also if you take them while on antibiotics (which I do as I take one everyday) take them a couple of hours before or after, as antibiotics will just kill the good bacteria off.
Hope that helps.
Thanks for that info, very informative. I have tried probiotics before and had stomach issues so stopped.

Thanks for that info, very informative. I have tried probiotics before and had stomach issues so stopped.
You‘re very welcome. I’ve added a screenshot about that. I would probably start with one every other day for a bit, or you could open the capsule and sprinkle half in a smoothie I’ve known people do that, or a cold drink and have a smaller amount that way for a little while. Another alternative of course is a good serving of yoghurt a day.
My IBS was quite bad which is one of the reasons I first started taking them so I possibly didn’t notice any side effects, although it was a long time ago, I’ve probably been taking them for at least 20 years.
Also some probiotics are very high strength 10/20/50 billion. I buy the H&B 3 or 10 billion. I would definitely go for a lower strength one, especially to start with.
There are various strains of probiotics so you could always ask your GP, or even email H&B to see if some are more gentle on the digestive system than others if you did want to try some again.

Attachments

Has anyone watched the real housewives and menopause?? I’m 30mins into it and I’m feeling pissed off 😡

I’m getting really emotional every time seema talks about her journey

Last edited:
Hello! Just jumping in here, has anyone had menopause via Zoladex? I am 27 and start my injections on the 27th of this month and will be put on HRT alongside it.

Just wondered if anyone else had been through the same or similar and could advise how you felt etc! thanks x

Wondered if I could get some advice.
I’m 51 and still get my period although it can be over in a day or be really heavy other months.

my main symptoms are brainfog, which is so bad at times I literally can’t remember basic things such as the name of my colleagues that I see daily, I’ve got little or no enthusiasm for things I used to love such as days out or even Christmas, my sex drive has disappeared completely, I get terrible mood swings to the point I want to divorce my husband and I’m getting lots of hair on my chin so I’m constantly plucking even though I’m fair haired, but the hair is thick and grows back in days.
Do I get a blood test or can you recommend herbal remedies as I feel like I’ve lost myself and it’s not fair on my family as I’m like Jekyll and Hyde x

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I’m 51 and still get my period although it can be over in a day or be really heavy other months.

my main symptoms are brainfog, which is so bad at times I literally can’t remember basic things such as the name of my colleagues that I see daily, I’ve got little or no enthusiasm for things I used to love such as days out or even Christmas, my sex drive has disappeared completely, I get terrible mood swings to the point I want to divorce my husband and I’m getting lots of hair on my chin so I’m constantly plucking even though I’m fair haired, but the hair is thick and grows back in days.
Do I get a blood test or can you recommend herbal remedies as I feel like I’ve lost myself and it’s not fair on my family as I’m like Jekyll and Hyde x
See your doctor. You’re ticking all the boxes

Random but has anyone ever experienced dizziness with menopause? I feel like I’m going crazy

Reactions: 6
Random but has anyone ever experienced dizziness with menopause? I feel like I’m going crazy
Yes, I get it a lot.

I could have written this!

They don’t go by blood tests now, just your symptoms. You might want to try HRT? I’ve read different things about herbal remedies and them not really working.

Yip, heart palpitations too. Used to happen in the shower mostly. Then would get all anxious about it. All three are included in the long list of symptoms 😩

Yip, heart palpitations too. Used to happen in the shower mostly. Then would get all anxious about it. All three are included in the long list of symptoms 😩
Thanks ladies. It used to happen very rarely but seems to happen more now esp when I’m stressing 🙄 it’s not easy

Yes, I get it a lot.

I could have written this!

They don’t go by blood tests now, just your symptoms. You might want to try HRT? I’ve read different things about herbal remedies and them not really working.
It’s nice to know im not going mad or overreacting. I’ll call the drs and see how I can get a prescription as it’s nearky
Impossible to see a dr.