Questions for those who have been through menopause

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yes B6 is also good for mood, balancing hormones and PMS.
Don‘t remind me about meno brain fog 😱 I can’t tell you the amount of times I forgot names of people I knew well and then desperately tried to remember their name to the point I missed what they were talking to me about 🤦🏼‍♀️ Thankfully that has improved 🙂

The joys of menopause, some women won’t have any symptoms, some just a few and others have had our fair share.
I’d forgotten about the electric shock feeling and burning tongue.
I thought it worth posting as sometimes it can be reassuring to women to know you’re not alone with what you are going through, nor have you lost your marbles (which is how it can feel sometimes) wondering what’s happening to you.
The brain fog can be really scary can't it. I have people finishing my sentences and finding my words constantly.
I've been driving and forgotten where I'm going and I also forgot my postcode. That really scared me as I've lived here for over 20yrs!!
I've worked with people with with dementia and memory problems for years and I did have a panic that I was going that way for a while, but then found out a bit more about peri and felt slightly reassured.

I've spoken to work and my family and thankfully they've been supportive, so you're right that speaking about these symptoms are hugely helpful.
It's really affected my confidence as I've had moments of feeling like I'm going mad!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Yes the brain fog is scary and I’ve read a lot of women think they’re getting dementia. My short term memory is terrible.

Reactions: 4
Yes I have had memory problems. On a Monday I have been asked what I did on the weekend and I can only remember one day of the weekend. My long term memory is wonderful. Very embarrassing. The thing with meno for me - symptoms come in waves. My worse symptom is anxiety. Never an anxious person before, now riddled with it. I am looking into CBD Oil.

Reactions: 6
Same here. 😩
Im actually finding my PTSD easier to manage atm then the hormonal anxiety and that is NO small thing. That along with my palpitations is one of the main reasons I’m getting help today. I want to try HRT before doing anything more serious to myself like surgery on my heart or strong medication for my head. Obviously if it doesn’t help I’ll pursue other treatment but I am trying this first because it’s less intrusive and clearly linked in some way. If I can reduce my symptoms I can avoid some very serious medications and procedures. None of this has been considered lightly.

Reactions: 1
Yes I have had memory problems. On a Monday I have been asked what I did on the weekend and I can only remember one day of the weekend. My long term memory is wonderful. Very embarrassing. The thing with meno for me - symptoms come in waves. My worse symptom is anxiety. Never an anxious person before, now riddled with it. I am looking into CBD Oil.
I really hope it works for you, I agree I think out of all the symptoms I’ve had and there have been many, the anxiety has been the worst as it also prevents you enjoying/doing things. At one stage mine was so bad I said to my GP I don’t think I’m ever going to get better but I did. Also the world is in such a mess with everything that’s happened and understandably it‘s added to anxiety for many.

Another thing that isn’t mentioned very often is oestrogen dominance which can happen anytime, looking back I think I had it around peri menopause as I had breast cysts (which can be scary) and fibroids. Had I known about it at the time I would have tried to rectify it then but it’s something I’ve told my daughters to watch out for.

I really hope it works for you, I agree I think out of all the symptoms I’ve had and there have been many, the anxiety has been the worst as it also prevents you enjoying/doing things. At one stage mine was so bad I said to my GP I don’t think I’m ever going to get better but I did. Also the world is in such a mess with everything that’s happened and understandably it‘s added to anxiety for many.

Another thing that isn’t mentioned very often is oestrogen dominance which can happen anytime, looking back I think I had it around peri menopause as I had breast cysts (which can be scary) and fibroids. Had I known about it at the time I would have tried to rectify it then but it’s something I’ve told my daughters to watch out for.

Sorry HouseofTea the oestrogen dominance wasn’t aimed at you, it was really for anyone concerned but you can’t seem to add a new post without it going on to you last one, unless someone has posted after you.

I really hope it works for you, I agree I think out of all the symptoms I’ve had and there have been many, the anxiety has been the worst as it also prevents you enjoying/doing things. At one stage mine was so bad I said to my GP I don’t think I’m ever going to get better but I did. Also the world is in such a mess with everything that’s happened and understandably it‘s added to the anxiety for many.

Sorry HouseofTea the oestrogen dominance wasn’t aimed at you, it was really for anyone concerned but you can’t seem to add a new post without it going on to your last one, unless someone has posted after you.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
Hi ladies, hope your well and having a great day, well doctors appointment went well yesterday 😊 the doctor that I spoke to was young early 30s after explaining all my symptoms feelings and concerns and also being diagnosed with fibroids last year she wrote me a prescription for elleste duet 1mg, after doing a little research on this tablet it says to take with caution due to fibroids 🫤 iv not taken any yet hopefully get another appointment with doctor to clarify that it’s ok

Hi ladies, hope your well and having a great day, well doctors appointment went well yesterday 😊 the doctor that I spoke to was young early 30s after explaining all my symptoms feelings and concerns and also being diagnosed with fibroids last year she wrote me a prescription for elleste duet 1mg, after doing a little research on this tablet it says to take with caution due to fibroids 🫤 iv not taken any yet hopefully get another appointment with doctor to clarify that it’s ok
Might be worth a chat with the pharmacist

• Heart
I think the reason they say take with caution is predominately because of the oestrogen content which can sometimes cause them to grow/bleed. My mother was on combined HRT and on one of her checkups (she signed up to trial HRT patches many years ago) they found she had fibroids but in her case they just monitored them, they didn’t cause her any problems. But yes definitely talk to your GP if it‘s concerning you.
Saying that I also had fibroids, I didn’t know I had them until a checkup but they’ve now disappeared.

You might find this of interest.

Last edited:
Glad your appointment went well 😁 the caution would be as the oestrogen can be seen to “feed” the fibroids. I have fibroids myself and take HRT, they haven’t got any worse and in fact I didn’t even know I had fibroids until they told me lol I’m sure your gp will be able to clarify everything for you 🥰

I’ve always had anxiety so I can cope with it getting worse during peri but a lot of my friends who had never experienced it before got it and found it hard.

I can never remember what I did yesterday!

Bloody hell, what chance have we got ? We put our trust in these people as if life isn’t hard enough 🫤
I think it’s good she‘s raised awareness so women can check they’re on a low dose if they’re concerned.

What concerns me is the rush to put so many women on HRT at the first sign of peri menopause, Dr Newson even creating a template letter for women to give to their GP’s. The reason I say that is often you go through fluctuations and I know looking back I was oestrogen dominant and it wasn’t something so obvious at the time. I’m slim, I work out, eat healthy and rarely drink but I had breast cysts, fibroids and recently found out I have thyroid nodules. I’m okay and I know these things occur in women but they can also be because of oestrogen dominance (which in itself can make you feel crappy and give you symptoms) had I known at the time I‘d have tried to rectify it sooner. Even stress can cause the dominance because it uses up more progesterone to make cortisol. Which is a difficult one as peri menopause is stressful for many women but I was going through a huge amount of stress at the time, as many of us do. I just think it’s important for women to know these things rather than just putting them straight on HRT which might not be the best thing for them, at least at a very early stage in peri menopause. For women who’ve had hysterectomy especially at a young age often do need some form of HRT, even more so if their ovaries have been removed.

I can’t understand why they gave this woman such a large dose, as it states HRT should be given at the lowest dose and taken for the shortest time possible. It even states it on the The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency a paper dated 2019!

I appreciate some women won’t care about the risks and that‘s their right but however small it may, or may not be for that woman (we are all different) the risks should be minimised as much as possible, (also advising on lifestyle choices where they may benefit) at the very least not putting women on high doses of HRT.

As I have said and some mocked me menopause is a money maker, you only have to look at the 5 companies Dr Newson is Director of and she won’t be the only one. GP’s were also concerned when she created a template letter of how non-bias she was because of her financial relationship with drug companies and stated so at the time. I doubt she’s the only one, it’s just she as far as I’m aware is the most prominent one in the UK.

For me it’s not about putting women off taking HRT (for some it’s a necessity) it’s making them as safe as possible, incl. advising on lifestyle choices/changes (as I mentioned earlier) that can also impact on the way we feel, which sadly many GPs don’t always have the time for.

As for these influences who have absolutely no medical background advising women (often without any medical/scientific evidence) what they should be taking as many of them profit from it, makes my blood boil. It’s all so wrong, in my eyes anyway. That’s why when I have posted on here I link as much UP TO DATE medical/science based information as possible so women can read it, maybe even then go and do their own research before they go to their GP so they’re better equipped.

EDT

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 5