Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Lucie1001

Chatty Member
Firstly he's a handsome little boy, his little beard!!!
Schnauzers apparently take until they are 2 years old to fully mellow which I know sounds like an eternity, it's all part of the experience though.
I've honestly never met more annoying dogs in my life than schnauzers but that's a huge part as to why I love them, you'll never have a dull moment and you'll have a sidekick for life in them, they also are known to pick one person in the household and decide they are their favourite 🤣
They're brilliant little dogs, enjoy the ride.

The lead pulling is also a typical breed thing, they're notorious for it... they just want to meet and become friends with everyone.
I think he’s chosen my boyfriend as his favourite lol which is annoying as I’m the one with him all day everyday! 🤣 he curls up asleep next to him and gets a lot more excited when he comes home from work compared to if I have been out 🤣

I thought I would trust him for 5 minutes last night when I had a shower. He was tired and had his pizzle stick so thought Oh what harm will he do….
2438399F-8431-4DDC-9993-9D228018B0C8.jpeg

Good job we are redecorating the whole house and getting a vinyl floor in the living room 🤣 (excuse the state of the skirting boards lol)

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5

Former_Antelopee

VIP Member
If anyone is interested, I just bought a camera to watch my pets on if I wanted and more so for when I get a dog hopefully next year. The furbo 360 cat camera it’s usually £208 on Amazon but they have a voucher code for £63 off and then if you then put ‘360CATCAM’ in the voucher box once your in the payment page it brings it down to £41.50

• Wow
  • Heart
I’ve had a breakdown this morning with my 1 year old mini schnauzer. I thought it had got a lot easier but we have just moved house and getting it all redecorated and he is constantly chewing everything! He wants to be up at 5.30 every day and my boyfriend goes out to work early and I just feel like I can never sit down in the morning because I’m constantly running around stopping him from getting up to no good. I was sitting on the floor this morning at 6am crying. I know my boyfriend thinks I have an easy life working from home but he doesn’t realise what it’s like. Sometimes I wish I was the one going out to work everyday 😭
Hi there, I read this thread often but haven't commented until now.

Schnauzers are full of character, they're their own little person and it really can be exhausting at times.
In regards to him waking up early, is your boyfriend potentially waking him as you said he works early?

When it comes to the chewing the best advice I can give you is toys and lots of them, teething bones, Nylabones, Kong, teddies they can cuddle into when they do (eventually) settle for a nap.
Treat balls are also great for keeping them occupied for a while, try as many as you can and you'll naturally find the one your pup gravitates to the most.

Are you working at a desk or have a space near where you work to put a little bed for him? Schnauzers tend to just like to be with their owners even if it's just sat in the same room doing nothing, they're very annoying and very demanding but honestly the best little companions... hang in there.

• Heart

AladdinSane

VIP Member
We're taking the plunge and we've decided to get a red lab puppy!

Any advice/tricks/things to know would be amazing! I'm super excited and can't stop looking at the pictute of him

• Heart
I think I know deep down it’s the right decision to go for another breed, I just need to convince my husband now…
This is our beaut boy. We got him as a five year old so didn’t experience the puppy stage but he was a good boy from the off. Just can’t tire him out. On the days we didn’t have a dog Walker a family friend would walk him so we had a lot of help

Attachments

• Heart

S4buk

VIP Member
I really struggled during the first year (as some of you guys may remember) - my partner decided he wasn’t a ‘dog’ person so we should give her up. I was literally living week by week and then decided to choose the dog over him as I pretty much single handily raised her for that first year. We still live together due to mortgage etc but I can’t help feeling that I missed out on so much of the ‘fun’ puppy stage because I was just so stressed about everything.

anyway , she’s my absolute world now and the best decision I ever made.

• Heart

whisperchat

VIP Member
I dunno who is the bigger problem at the moment; the puppy or my partner! After his dinner every day the puppy has a mad 30 minutes to an hour where he just goes super hyper and wants to bite everything, including our clothes etc. (we were actually a bit worried about the biting but the vet said it will just be a sugar rush from his excitement of dinner and walkies!) I have been making a really big effort to ignore him and let him know play is over when he starts biting me. Yesterday I went off for a bath and came back to find the puppy biting my partners hand and jumper, instead of repeating what I would do, he was kissing and cuddling him!!!! I said “that’s not teaching him anything! Hell think it’s ok to bite now” and my partner pulled his jumper from the puppies mouth then cuddled him and said “good boy” 🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️
lose the partner, keep the pup :sneaky::sneaky:😂

• Haha

AladdinSane

VIP Member
We have had a huge breakthrough on the puppy/cat front.

Yesterday evening, we had puppy and both cats asleep in the same room!! ❤❤

• Heart

Hamburglar

VIP Member
Ohhhh I need to vent. I picked my puppy up today (well hes a year old) from his daycare to be told he can't return.
Long story short, the owner of the daycare had her kid sat on the kitchen counter (toddler aged) with a snack and my puppy (labrador) ran up to the kid, stole the snack and cut the kids finger with his teeth.
I'm absolutely mortified that he managed to do that and feel I've let him down in some way by not training him properly 😭
Does anyone have any advice on stopping him from doing this? He's absolutely fine with myself and partner at home, doesn't beg, doesn't snatch our food and I've never known him do this before 😭
Absolutely none of that is your fault. Blame sits entirely with the daycare person for putting both the toddler and the dog into that situation. Massively irresponsible of them.

• Heart

sistersofpercy

VIP Member
Took older boy to the vets today as he’s having some issues and figured I’d register pup whilst there, even though he’s not coming until the 10th. Our vets has been full for a while and only take ‘siblings’ so to speak so I wanted to put my mind at rest he’d be accepted.
receptionist asked what his name will be. Neville Longbottom, says I. Silence and a long stare ensues. 😂

• Haha

jayne2240

VIP Member
I see so many people on social media who get puppies and I immediately think “there is no way you should have a dog”.

It’s the done thing nowadays for everyone to want and get a puppy but in actual fact I think very few people are prepared and willing to work at it and therefore we have a generation of dogs who are badly behaved, with no recall, social skills or obedience. We also have a generation of owners who believe they’re perfect and they want to spoil dogs like they’re children which only fuels the fire.

It’s not going to rectify until people realise dogs are for life not instagram.

*want to specify this is a generalisation and 100% not directed at anyone on here at all, you all seem like wonderful owners who adore your pups and just want to do your best by them, this is about the majority of people nowadays who get a pup for the attention*

Former_Antelopee

VIP Member
THIS. I'm a renter, and I get rejected for dogs all the time because I don't own, and I don't have a garden, but I live next door to an enclosed garden space.
I tried to adopt 11 dogs over the past four years from different rescues, and all rejected me because of this. Yet last year, when I bought my second dog, I was shamed by everyone for buying another dog to be friends with the dog I already own. One of the people who shamed me worked for my local rescue, and I showed her the emails of my rejected applications from HER shelter.

I know why they want to avoid renters because if a renter moves, they're unlikely going to find another home which will allow them to have a dog, so they end up dumping them. I get it, but there should be more nuance to the application and selection process. For example, I've lived in my home for 13 years now, and I would love only to rescue dogs. I live alone, and my dogs are the only family I have. I have cried over so many dogs I didn't get a chance to adopt, but I get shamed for "not adopting". The system is so whacked.
I think rescue standards for homes are too high. Surely it’s better for that dog to be in a home than in a kennel. I don’t agree with the always adopt anyway, I’ve said before on here it should be adopt or but from a reputable breeder. At the end of the day some people like you try to rescue, cannot but have a perfectly good home for the dog, so go and buy a dog instead. So I guess inadvertently rescues are helping breeders as they their rejections force people to then go and buy from a breeder. Yet they’ll preach not to buy and just to adopt.

Lady1980

Hi! Just popping in to say hi!! Currently on day 3 (2 nights) of an 8 week old guide dog puppy! Absolute chaos!!! I've already been in love with him and tears with him 🤣

Souffle

Chatty Member
We have a two bits of progress tonight…
1. She went into the crate to sleep without being told/encouraged.
2. Even though my partner is still sleeping downstairs the puppy’s crate is now on the other side of the lounge instead of right next to the sofa and so far, so good!

I feel a bit more optimistic now after my drama earlier this week. Thank you to those that gave advice and support. Hopefully this time next week I can have my man back in bed with me 😂😂

• Heart

Maid22

VIP Member
Im sure you did the right thing. People Will talk bad about it but to me it shows you love both dogs very much. You did a good thing. Take care!
I've just spoken to his new owner, he's doing really well, they have another dog and he's accepted pup, so it's worked out all good, but I don't half miss him.

• Heart

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
We dropped to 2 meals at 6 months but made them bigger to account for his whole daily intake. Has the vet given any reason as to why to continue with 3 meals?

Whatever you do, do not start topping his food with human food etc because itl make him fussy. Put the food down, if not eaten within 10-15 minutes lift it and put it down at next meal and repeat. A dog wont starve itself but they are clever little buggars and will learn v quickly if I dont eat this I'll get something better. I have seen so many people come a cropper with their dogs and fussiness.

My two are raw fed, get one meal in the morning and one in the evening. They eat right away and bowls get lifted. Dont leave it out as a grazing platter.

S4buk

VIP Member
Apologies for going down a more personal route, my partner did a complete 180 yesterday and said that he wants to rehome our pup - he just can't bond with her. He has been so incredible with her recently so I really hope that he was just talking out of frustration (poo bag split on their walk!). I just feel like we're back to square one and it's been 3 months. 😭

• Sad