Puppies

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thank you so much. Yes she does have spaniel in her as she’s a cockapoo, same as my older one. I will take all of your points on board and join the fb group also.

I know she’s doing well as 2 days ago she wouldn’t even go in the crate and now she happily sleeps there in the day as long as someone is nearby - she learned that really quick so I do have some optimism but it’s just hard when the whole house is moody and sleep deprived!

My partner is going to stay on the sofa for a few nights. Any idea how to then break away from this and eventually get her into the kitchen?
Ok so I also only ever had cockapoos and honestly they are sooo needy its the cocker spaniel in them.

Some of mine are very needy, some independent and Ive treated them all the same. All happy to be left though tey are notorious though for being very full on. Sounds like your older one was a dream though.

Its hard when youre exhausted. My youngest is 8 months and is still getting up at 5am every day morning when none of my others have did this 😴😴😴

Ok so I also only ever had cockapoos and honestly they are sooo needy its the cocker spaniel in them.

Some of mine are very needy, some independent and Ive treated them all the same. All happy to be left though tey are notorious though for being very full on. Sounds like your older one was a dream though.

Its hard when youre exhausted. My youngest is 8 months and is still getting up at 5am every day morning when none of my others have did this 😴😴😴
Well my older one wasn’t a dream to start with but she wasn’t as bad as this. She’s perfect now though, gives us an evil look when we’re leaving the house without her but then she just goes upstairs to her bed in our room or lays on our bed. She’s such a lovely girl. I keep telling myself that the puppy will grow up to be just like her - fingers crossed!

Well my older one wasn’t a dream to start with but she wasn’t as bad as this. She’s perfect now though, gives us an evil look when we’re leaving the house without her but then she just goes upstairs to her bed in our room or lays on our bed. She’s such a lovely girl. I keep telling myself that the puppy will grow up to be just like her - fingers crossed!
It will pass. I know it seems extreme but Ive wanted to take every one of them back at some point 🥴 puppyhood is not fun unless its not your pup, you can have a cuddle and go home 😁

Has anyone got a second puppy after the first is around a year old. Just found out my boys parents may be having another litter and husband is keen to get one of the pups as would be a full brother. He thinks the older one will help mentor his younger sibling but I’m not so sure. My boy is nearly 8 months and while he’s amazing it’s been hard work and don’t know if I could go through it a second time

Has anyone got a second puppy after the first is around a year old. Just found out my boys parents may be having another litter and husband is keen to get one of the pups as would be a full brother. He thinks the older one will help mentor his younger sibling but I’m not so sure. My boy is nearly 8 months and while he’s amazing it’s been hard work and don’t know if I could go through it a second time
---
Ours was almost 3 when we got number 2. I’d not have been able to do it when our first was so young. Although I know many who got a second at 1!

Reactions: 1
I did! Had larger gaps too. I think its v dependent on your dogs.

This pup is satan. My 1 year is an angel so its worked out. I think Id be broken if my 1 yo wasnt well behaved and obedient.

My dog is 1, we’ve talked about getting another but not until she is at least 2 and calmed down a bit.

I WFH so she goes in the crate behind me
---

On Thursday. I’m just at my wits end. No proper sleep for a week, stressed out, my older dog is stressed because I’m stressed and now she won’t eat. I feel like I’ve made a huge mistake.

Luckily I work from home but I haven’t left the house for a week and can’t see a time when I’ll be able to because she screams if I go to another room for 10 seconds.

Crying again now 😢 ffs
Honestly, I spent many a night on the kitchen floor crying- I know you’ve had dogs before but try and remember, despite the stress and tiredness, it gets much better and the frustration is probably coming from your tiredness.

Mine was my first dog (always had cats before) and I was not prepared for how much work it was. But so so worth it in the end. As a previous poster wrote, suddenly it all clicks (touch wood), it’s weird to think what a blur my life was during that period.

Reactions: 4
We have a two bits of progress tonight…
1. She went into the crate to sleep without being told/encouraged.
2. Even though my partner is still sleeping downstairs the puppy’s crate is now on the other side of the lounge instead of right next to the sofa and so far, so good!

I feel a bit more optimistic now after my drama earlier this week. Thank you to those that gave advice and support. Hopefully this time next week I can have my man back in bed with me 😂😂

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Souffle - It will get easier, luckily for you, you have a dog that loves to please its owner, make the crate an incredible place to be, persuade dog to go in, once its in, massive fuss, same again it will pick up. Not sure if anyone has mentioned but put a blanket over the crate fully, leaving only the front bit uncovered so its nice and dark, me personally i would put the crate where you intend to put it further down the line (ideally in the corner of a room so the crate cannot be approached from the back) this will help it feel more secure) but alot do what your doing also so it is upto the owner just personal choice)

In the day, try and leave it in a room whilst you go into the next one obviously its a puppy so could only be several seconds etc, just basically teach the dog that it doesnt have to be with you 24/7, last thing you want is a dog with seperation anxiety, literally ruins the whole experience of having a dog in my opinion

we have a show cocker spaniel and has currently been getting up at 4.30/5 every day. doesn't need anything and can't go through til 7. she's not hungry. she's a year and a few months. not sure how to get her to snap out of it. has freedom of the house at night. but I'm glad I'm not the only one suffering 😂😭🤦🤦

We did both ends of the scale! Got our second when our first was 18 months, and then years later when the first died we got our third when the second was 6. Categorically can say the first way was so much easier as first was still a baby herself and more tolerating. My 6 year old is now 7 and the pup is 1 and they’re only now starting to like being around each other. It obviously all depends on the dogs and it’s the same as kids, do you want to get all the babyhood out of the way, or would you rather have one more independent dog and a baby!

Reactions: 2
we have a show cocker spaniel and has currently been getting up at 4.30/5 every day. doesn't need anything and can't go through til 7. she's not hungry. she's a year and a few months. not sure how to get her to snap out of it. has freedom of the house at night. but I'm glad I'm not the only one suffering 😂😭🤦🤦
Its a nightmare 🙈 mine is always wild when they wake up too and completely annoys the other one. The skys awake so Im awake is his motto 😒

We went through this and had to bring the crate out for night time for a while again. Too much freedom was the issue.

I know technically she’s not a puppy anymore, she’s 13 almost 14 months old. But she is regressing massively all of a sudden! We had sort of cracked the biting and general aggressive behaviour not only towards us but more importantly towards our other dog who is now 7. Older dog was absolutely terrified of her but once the biting stopped she was finally sitting beside her and enjoying her company. But she’s suddenly started biting her legs and her ears again, as well as our hands. I know she thinks it’s a game but we had managed to discipline it out of her so why on earth is she suddenly trying it again? Is this normal?

I know technically she’s not a puppy anymore, she’s 13 almost 14 months old. But she is regressing massively all of a sudden! We had sort of cracked the biting and general aggressive behaviour not only towards us but more importantly towards our other dog who is now 7. Older dog was absolutely terrified of her but once the biting stopped she was finally sitting beside her and enjoying her company. But she’s suddenly started biting her legs and her ears again, as well as our hands. I know she thinks it’s a game but we had managed to discipline it out of her so why on earth is she suddenly trying it again? Is this normal?
My ‘puppy’ of the same age is the same. She is extremely hard work at the moment.

Welcome to adolescence. Our two both regressed at a similar age. Consistency and back to how you taught / nipped it in the bud last time. May take longer this time (adolescence can be longer in bigger breeds for example) but keep at it, you’ll get there.

• Heart
Thank goodness it isn't just me 😅🤣 our boy has taken a massive step back with everything. He's reacting to everything outside the house, will bark at one of our cats and has really regressed with his training. The only thing that has stayed consistent is his recall!

We have a GSD about to turn 3 and we have committed to a Jack Russell pup ready for home in Sept, both nervous and excited - Am i mad???LOL

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.