Puppies

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve had a breakdown this morning with my 1 year old mini schnauzer. I thought it had got a lot easier but we have just moved house and getting it all redecorated and he is constantly chewing everything! He wants to be up at 5.30 every day and my boyfriend goes out to work early and I just feel like I can never sit down in the morning because I’m constantly running around stopping him from getting up to no good. I was sitting on the floor this morning at 6am crying. I know my boyfriend thinks I have an easy life working from home but he doesn’t realise what it’s like. Sometimes I wish I was the one going out to work everyday 😭

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Man I didn’t anticipate getting a puppy would be this hard. Thanks to everyone here for being so open and I know I’m not alone and we’re all struggling at times.
I lost my girl in October after nearly 13 years. She was my heart dog. Went through everything with me. Losing her took a piece of my heart with her.I still cry daily over her 😞 I really thought getting another dog after 7 months being dog less would help… I just regret it. I can’t bond with him, all he does is nip and bite.
I guess I’m just really missing that bond. I know it’ll come eventually…. But being so long since my girl was a puppy I completely forgot this stage and it sucks.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
Man I didn’t anticipate getting a puppy would be this hard. Thanks to everyone here for being so open and I know I’m not alone and we’re all struggling at times.
I lost my girl in October after nearly 13 years. She was my heart dog. Went through everything with me. Losing her took a piece of my heart with her.I still cry daily over her 😞 I really thought getting another dog after 7 months being dog less would help… I just regret it. I can’t bond with him, all he does is nip and bite.
I guess I’m just really missing that bond. I know it’ll come eventually…. But being so long since my girl was a puppy I completely forgot this stage and it sucks.
Arrhhh I feel for you ..Ur probably trying really hard aswell ..I have a neighbour by mine and he’s been the same ..Has a puppy after his dog passed and he can’t help but compare them ..He’s trying to bond with his new puppy but missing his other dog so much …

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I’ve had a breakdown this morning with my 1 year old mini schnauzer. I thought it had got a lot easier but we have just moved house and getting it all redecorated and he is constantly chewing everything! He wants to be up at 5.30 every day and my boyfriend goes out to work early and I just feel like I can never sit down in the morning because I’m constantly running around stopping him from getting up to no good. I was sitting on the floor this morning at 6am crying. I know my boyfriend thinks I have an easy life working from home but he doesn’t realise what it’s like. Sometimes I wish I was the one going out to work everyday 😭
Hi there, I read this thread often but haven't commented until now.

Schnauzers are full of character, they're their own little person and it really can be exhausting at times.
In regards to him waking up early, is your boyfriend potentially waking him as you said he works early?

When it comes to the chewing the best advice I can give you is toys and lots of them, teething bones, Nylabones, Kong, teddies they can cuddle into when they do (eventually) settle for a nap.
Treat balls are also great for keeping them occupied for a while, try as many as you can and you'll naturally find the one your pup gravitates to the most.

Are you working at a desk or have a space near where you work to put a little bed for him? Schnauzers tend to just like to be with their owners even if it's just sat in the same room doing nothing, they're very annoying and very demanding but honestly the best little companions... hang in there.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
It's amazing how up and down days can be with a young puppy.

After what felt like my disastrous morning on Wednesday both yesterday and today have been so much better. Puppy just seems much more chilled and content. Funnily enough the things that have changed are I have left him a lot more the yesterday/today and have started using the crate for day time naps. Previously I had been pretty bad for only using his crate at night and letting him wander/nap where he wanted during the day while I worked from home. I'm thinking maybe having that enforced naptime and time out from me is helping a lot. I'm trying to take it as a good thing because he's more chilled and not be offended that he's getting on better without being by my side all day 😂

I have a 3.5yr old and considering getting a dachshund puppy.
Does anyone have any experience of this age with a very small dog? Will it be better for me to keep them separated for a while?

Does anyone have any experience of this age with a very small dog? Will it be better for me to keep them separated for a while?
Have a serious think about it. I know this thread is everyone venting but puppies are such hard work.

Dachshunds are notoriously hard to train 😂 stubborn little buggars.

Reactions: 2
They are a fab dog but quite hard to train. They need someone that’s going to be around lot as don’t like to be left alone for long periods or they can become quite destructive, esp with digging lol they need special attention with their diet also as they are prone to back issues. Don’t say any of that to put you off as every breed has something, but just to make you aware as you have a little one

They are a fab dog but quite hard to train. They need someone that’s going to be around lot as don’t like to be left alone for long periods or they can become quite destructive, esp with digging lol they need special attention with their diet also as they are prone to back issues. Don’t say any of that to put you off as every breed has something, but just to make you aware as you have a little one
It’s all good info! My thoughts were between a dachshund and a Jack Russell. I used to walk dogs and I remember jack
Russell’s being far easier to walk than dachshunds!

• Heart
We considered getting a dachshund for a long while but after doing research we were put off. They are hard to train and very dependable. They don’t like being left for long periods which wasn’t suitable for us as we both work. My OHs dad has a dachshund and as soon as his dad leaves the house he will sit by the front door and literally wait for hours until he’s home, barking and yapping away. My advice would be to do lots of research for a breed that will fit into your lifestyle.

I have a 10 year old long hair dachshund and he’s a grumpy little bugger (they say the long haired are more dosile) you know exactly what he wants, if he wants to go out he scratches the door, if there’s no water in the bowl he’ll bang it incessantly. If he wants to sit on your lap, he’s doing it.
Everything is on his watch tho, he’ll leisurely go down the garden for a wee, he’ll walk 5 minutes and then decide he wants to turn back.
Problems I’ve experienced are anal glands, cos of their long body they need them extracted at the vets and he’s had quite a lot of ear infections and also his breath stinks (not a smelly dog besides that tho)
I make sure I don’t let him jump or go down steps. It drives me potty when people pick them up and let their back legs dangle, or let them jump down from the bed etc.
He’s an absolute character and I’ve never had a dog like him. I’d definitely recommend but they are a big commitment but a beautiful pet.

• Heart
You guys have really opened my eyes to the stress of owning a puppy and how tough they are. We have two cats and are considering getting a labrador puppy.
Has anyone had experience of cats with puppies? Our cats are quite chill with one of them being more than happy to be boisterous with the other one (she hates it!)

You guys have really opened my eyes to the stress of owning a puppy and how tough they are. We have two cats and are considering getting a labrador puppy.
Has anyone had experience of cats with puppies? Our cats are quite chill with one of them being more than happy to be boisterous with the other one (she hates it!)
Everyone I know who have had cats then get a dog, the cat usually ends up being secondary to the dog.

I can’t speak for everyone. I was brought up with both. But a lot of my friends this has ended up happening.

We have always had cats and have had two dogs. Currently we have two cats and a border collie. The younger cat was only one when we got our pup and they played together which was lovely. The senior cat ignored him and whacked him if he took liberties. Now 7 years on, the younger cat and the dog still get on well, the dog is terrified of senior cat, won’t even look him in the eye. The cats both rule the roost.
The dog will chase other cats if he gets the chance but not our two he knows his place.
Some cats will not accept a change like that and will just move out. Some will get very stressed and start marking territory etc.
You have to give your cats dog safe spaces and plenty of attention.
And hope for the best. Cats and dogs can live happily together, a lot will become friends but sometimes it just doesn’t work out xx

My dog and cat were best friends but we only had the cat a few weeks before the dog so they grew up together. They’d sleep together, the cat would even go into his crate with him. But if my Nan came over with her dog, her dog would chase the cat and our dog would join and chase the cat but as soon as my man’s dog left they’d be sleeping together again

We have always had cats and have had two dogs. Currently we have two cats and a border collie. The younger cat was only one when we got our pup and they played together which was lovely. The senior cat ignored him and whacked him if he took liberties. Now 7 years on, the younger cat and the dog still get on well, the dog is terrified of senior cat, won’t even look him in the eye. The cats both rule the roost.
The dog will chase other cats if he gets the chance but not our two he knows his place.
Some cats will not accept a change like that and will just move out. Some will get very stressed and start marking territory etc.
You have to give your cats dog safe spaces and plenty of attention.
And hope for the best. Cats and dogs can live happily together, a lot will become friends but sometimes it just doesn’t work out xx
Our cats are indoor cats so I'm hoping they don't find a way to move out 😅
They're also maine coons which I've read are more adaptable to dogs than other cats but of course, every animal is different.
We know the breeder as he is a close friend and have already spoken to him about if the cats do not get on with the dog.

It’s all good info! My thoughts were between a dachshund and a Jack Russell. I used to walk dogs and I remember jack
Russell’s being far easier to walk than dachshunds!
In my experience jack russels are very smart would be a lot easier to train! They all have plus and negatives being honest it’s just finding one to suit your lifestyle 🥰 good luck! Pups are a great addition to a household and I’m sure your little one would be obsessed too 🥰 would be nice time of year to get a pup aswell as up and out early in the bright mornings/evenings, good excuse to get walking haha

Hi there, I read this thread often but haven't commented until now.

Schnauzers are full of character, they're their own little person and it really can be exhausting at times.
In regards to him waking up early, is your boyfriend potentially waking him as you said he works early?

When it comes to the chewing the best advice I can give you is toys and lots of them, teething bones, Nylabones, Kong, teddies they can cuddle into when they do (eventually) settle for a nap.
Treat balls are also great for keeping them occupied for a while, try as many as you can and you'll naturally find the one your pup gravitates to the most.

Are you working at a desk or have a space near where you work to put a little bed for him? Schnauzers tend to just like to be with their owners even if it's just sat in the same room doing nothing, they're very annoying and very demanding but honestly the best little companions... hang in there.
I second this. We used to have a schnauzer. She passed away just before Xmas. And all she wanted to do was sit with us all day everyday from day 1 💗

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.