Puppies

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We went out the other day and bought our Sprocker pup that we are getting on the 8th of next month some cheapo toys

Any advice on toys for teething?

It's been a long time since we've had a pup so assume things have moved on from 10 years ago

Rolled up tea towel knotted was a favourite here, frozen carrot, great for the baby raptor chomps. Ropes too and anything that squeaks.

My youngest dog is a total destroyer even the tough toys. Its the spaniel genes I put it down to haha. We dont buy 'soft' cuddlies as the stuffing is out before I can even turn my back

Reactions: 1
Our cockapoo gets matted SO easily 😫 we shave/cut him at home as he had a bad experience with a dog groomer once (she was awful, cut him and made him bleed and he’s petrified since) but he’s getting really matted no matter what we do. Is there some miracle spray I’ve missed or anything? Or does anyone have any tips for grooming at home?
We took our boy for his first groom this week and although he wasn’t matted yet the groomer told us we were using the wrong type of brush for him (we were advised to buy it from pets at home). We’ve ordered one like this and it’s so much easier already, we’re also going to give him liver paste in a tube to keep him still while the other sprays/brushes as the groomer used it and he wasn’t phased by her at all. She recommended we give him it and to make that the only time he gets it so he’ll be more tempted to behave
IMG_1210.jpeg

We went out the other day and bought our Sprocker pup that we are getting on the 8th of next month some cheapo toys

It's been a long time since we've had a pup so assume things have moved on from 10 years ago
These are the best teething toys we’ve bought and they’re £2 from home store and more. He loves them and the quality is really good for the price, a lot of his teething toys have been destroyed but he can’t seem to put a dent in these ones
IMG_1211.jpeg

Can’t believe I’m at the stage of giving tips rather than asking for them 😅

Reactions: 2
Frozen carrots all the way for us! They last her about 2 mins now but when she was teeny they’d last ages.

Frozen carrots and a sock with a knot tied in the middle, my litter of pups have not long left me 🥲 and all 4 favoured the socks over anything I bought.

Frozen carrots and a sock with a knot tied in the middle, my litter of pups have not long left me 🥲 and all 4 favoured the socks over anything I bought.
Yessss another vote for the sock with a knot tied in the middle. My dog is a total destroyer but this can keep him occupied for ages!

Rolled up tea towel knotted was a favourite here, frozen carrot, great for the baby raptor chomps. Ropes too and anything that squeaks.

My youngest dog is a total destroyer even the tough toys. Its the spaniel genes I put it down to haha. We dont buy 'soft' cuddlies as the stuffing is out before I can even turn my back
Thanks so much. Haven't bought any soft cuddlies. Mostly rope and squeaky toys.

He comes home 4 weeks today. We can't wait to just get him home now. The last 3 months have been so hard with our fur baby being so unwell and then dying.

We can't not have a Spaniel in our lives now though after our girl made us fall in love with them.

Just want to give him an amazing start in life and dote on him! ❤

• Heart
Thanks so much. Haven't bought any soft cuddlies. Mostly rope and squeaky toys.

He comes home 4 weeks today. We can't wait to just get him home now. The last 3 months have been so hard with our fur baby being so unwell and then dying.

We can't not have a Spaniel in our lives now though after our girl made us fall in love with them.

Just want to give him an amazing start in life and dote on him! ❤
We got our pup less than 2 months after losing our treasured Cav and it was hard at times but it’s so good to have someone else to pour that love into (if that’s right for you, obvs for some it’s never long enough!) one thing I feel I just have to mention even though you’ve already had a dog and you’re probably well aware, is just watch with the rope especially when teething! When our first dog was little we had a really scary experience where she ended up with rope stuck in her throat so I just always feel the need to warn people. ♥

I really struggled during the first year (as some of you guys may remember) - my partner decided he wasn’t a ‘dog’ person so we should give her up. I was literally living week by week and then decided to choose the dog over him as I pretty much single handily raised her for that first year. We still live together due to mortgage etc but I can’t help feeling that I missed out on so much of the ‘fun’ puppy stage because I was just so stressed about everything.

anyway , she’s my absolute world now and the best decision I ever made.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I really struggled during the first year (as some of you guys may remember) - my partner decided he wasn’t a ‘dog’ person so we should give her up. I was literally living week by week and then decided to choose the dog over him as I pretty much single handily raised her for that first year. We still live together due to mortgage etc but I can’t help feeling that I missed out on so much of the ‘fun’ puppy stage because I was just so stressed about everything.

anyway , she’s my absolute world now and the best decision I ever made.
I’m so nosy but I’d love to know more about how this panned out. Does he interact with the dog now if you’re still living together?!

it’s tricky, he loves her a lot now that I’ve trained her and dealt with the difficult puppy stage. She’s so well behaved and literally can’t go anywhere without being stopped by people asking to stroke her. I also feel like she’s a bit of a showpony for him because he takes her out when he’s seeing people with kids etc…I think there’s just a lot of resentment there which culminated in my dog. But I live and breathe her so she gets the most love in the world.

I’m pretty sure I said in the early days if she was naughty ‘don’t shout at her, shout at me’ because then I could deal with her in a more calm way to try and make her understand. I have no doubt in my mind that she picks up on energy/atmosphere so I’ve always shielded her from that - and she’s the happiest pup ever.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Just did a what dog would suite you quiz. I put I want a dog under 15Ibs and the breed it suggested for me was a Scottish deerhound 😅

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I've posted in here before about our spaniel, she's a 19 month old show cocker and ever since the clocks went back her early morning starts have just gotten worse!

it's been the odd 4 am, sometimes it's 5, or after 6am. she used to get up for 6, do everything eat then backup for a couple of hours.

now it's go out for a wee, back up for a bit then back down for breakfast, then back up, we can't do the clock method as it's so in consistent 🥲 (if it was always 5 am then we'd push the time but it's not 😭) she gets a good walks, mental stimulation, play time, sleep time (she is very FOMO and likes to be with you or on you) very food motivated. (we have switched from Ava to Millie's wolfheart)

but I guess if you need a wee, you need a wee. 😭there have been times where she got up at 7 even 8! but she has always been like this as a pup, she never liked her crate , (even though we made it the best thing ever!) she had beds but doesn't use them (sleeps upstairs with my mum)

just wondering if anyone else is going through similar/any tips? 🥲😭😅

I've posted in here before about our spaniel, she's a 19 month old show cocker and ever since the clocks went back her early morning starts have just gotten worse!

it's been the odd 4 am, sometimes it's 5, or after 6am. she used to get up for 6, do everything eat then backup for a couple of hours.

now it's go out for a wee, back up for a bit then back down for breakfast, then back up, we can't do the clock method as it's so in consistent 🥲 (if it was always 5 am then we'd push the time but it's not 😭) she gets a good walks, mental stimulation, play time, sleep time (she is very FOMO and likes to be with you or on you) very food motivated. (we have switched from Ava to Millie's wolfheart)

but I guess if you need a wee, you need a wee. 😭there have been times where she got up at 7 even 8! but she has always been like this as a pup, she never liked her crate , (even though we made it the best thing ever!) she had beds but doesn't use them (sleeps upstairs with my mum)

just wondering if anyone else is going through similar/any tips? 🥲😭😅
Have you had her checked for any bladder infections?

yup! she's really good in the day and can go four hours if we need to pop out. it's only really been like this since we put the clocks back.

@happygirl4699 the impression I get is it’s not so common in the UK but check out the reactive dog thread on Reddit, there’s always lots of chat about it on there. I asked my vet if there was anything I could give my dog and was told no, some dogs aren’t ever settled.

• Wow
Has anyone's dog been prescribed fluoxetine?
We prescribe it very often at my work and my own dog was on it for a short while. Very commonly prescribed by behaviourists now and I’ve seen lots of success stories in patients at work.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.