Puppies

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just give him normal food. We use to say bland food, buts there's little nutritional value in rice. Better off feeding normal food so he's getting his nutrients. We don't eat differently with a but if diarrhoea, or I certainly don't.
Thank you! I'm really worried about him even though I know really it's probably just an upset tummy like we humans can randomly get! I think I'll see how he is tomorrow and if no better ring the vet just as a precaution.

Thank you! I'm really worried about him even though I know really it's probably just an upset tummy like we humans can randomly get! I think I'll see how he is tomorrow and if no better ring the vet just as a precaution.
If your vet is 'open' today go and get some gastro intestinal diet for him. My practice sell Hills, but other brands are good too, help heal the gut.
Probiotic paste would help too.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
We use ‘bed’ for our pup in the evenings and she’s always so good, straight into her crate with the ‘bed’ command and absolutely no barking. Last night she went in her own when I was locking up (no command) and slept until 7am and then went out to do her business and went straight back in (again without command) so we could have another hour in bed - I literally felt like crying! Anyone struggling, it’s gets so much better and thanks to you wonderful tattlers for all your support and advice.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Second the probiotic paste, when we first got my dog, she was acting really under the weather, whining,. wouldn't settle and crying, I was panicking thinking there was something awfully wrong with her, got to the vets, no temp, no sore tummy, no crying, got given the paste she had it, went for a big tit and was right as rain!

Just buy it online, cheaper than paying to see the vet.

My little pup is a bit under the weather this morning :( He seems to have a bit of diarrhoea and just isn't his usual bouncy self. Gonna keep an eye on him and just not give him any treats or anything which might upset his stomach more. My bf suggested instead of giving him his biscuits we give him some plain white rice, which some google pages are saying, but others are saying to not give him anything so I'm a bit lost. My pet insurance comes with this 24 hour online vet service thing so I might give them a message :(
If you have any eggs in the house a hard boiled egg is great for dogs with diarrhoea or an upset stomach. It’s a great source of protein for them and it’s really easy for them to digest when they aren’t at themselves

• Heart
Thanks everyone! He seems much more himself today as he currently sits chewing my pyjamas leg even though I’ve give him lots of toys as a distraction 😅😂

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I'm really struggling with pup, my other dog still doesn't like him, I really wish I never got him, but we thought our dog would be ok, I can't see it happening, me and oh have discussed rehoming, which is breaking my heart.

My last post on here,,we've had to re-home pup, I'm gutted, can any of you on here imagine giving your pup up?

• Sad
Reactions: 6
My last post on here,,we've had to re-home pup, I'm gutted, can any of you on here imagine giving your pup up?
Oh Maid Im so sorry. I do think people don't talk about when bringing a puppy in to an existing dog doesnt work. Its all just portrayed as sunshine and rainbows.

It took weeks for my older dog to accept our pup and I wasnt expecting it at all. I thought it would just go well because my older dog likes other dogs.

There wasnt any violence or aggression but my older dog hated the younger one at first and would do anything he could to escape him.

• Heart
Oh Maid Im so sorry. I do think people don't talk about when bringing a puppy in to an existing dog doesnt work. Its all just portrayed as sunshine and rainbows.

It took weeks for my older dog to accept our pup and I wasnt expecting it at all. I thought it would just go well because my older dog likes other dogs.

There wasnt any violence or aggression but my older dog hated the younger one at first and would do anything he could to escape him.
Thank you, we had such aggression from my other dog, he's never been like that before, and he's a lovely boy, I didn't want to mess his brain up, he's a collie, and they're so sensitive! Just heard back, pup has settled in really well, really miss him though.

• Heart
Thank you, we had such aggression from my other dog, he's never been like that before, and he's a lovely boy, I didn't want to mess his brain up, he's a collie, and they're so sensitive! Just heard back, pup has settled in really well, really miss him though.
Im sure you did the right thing. People Will talk bad about it but to me it shows you love both dogs very much. You did a good thing. Take care!

• Heart
Im sure you did the right thing. People Will talk bad about it but to me it shows you love both dogs very much. You did a good thing. Take care!
I've just spoken to his new owner, he's doing really well, they have another dog and he's accepted pup, so it's worked out all good, but I don't half miss him.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Hi everyone, our 7 month old lab puppy is house trained but tonight when we were eating she jumped on the sofa and did a wee! She never did this even when she was house training. The internet suggests it could be medical rather than behavioural, she hasn't had her first season yet either. Is it one to just monitor in case it was a one off then go to the vet if it happens again? She hasn't shown any signs of a urine infection etc.

Hi everyone, our 7 month old lab puppy is house trained but tonight when we were eating she jumped on the sofa and did a wee! She never did this even when she was house training. The internet suggests it could be medical rather than behavioural, she hasn't had her first season yet either. Is it one to just monitor in case it was a one off then go to the vet if it happens again? She hasn't shown any signs of a urine infection etc.
It could possibly be a sudden burst of excitement 🙈 some dogs do this even when they are house trained

How did everyone get on with crate training? My pup hates his crate and screams for 30-40 mins each night when I put him in.

How did everyone get on with crate training? My pup hates his crate and screams for 30-40 mins each night when I put him in.
Mine was the same, he really hated it! Instead we got a stair gate and let him have roam of the dining room and kitchen. His crate is still in the dining room with the door open. But he also has a separate bed outside the crate. He now sleeps downstairs in his bed. We have a camera to keep an eye on him. It’s only in the last few weeks or so he will start going in the crate on his own accord, but we just leave the door open as as soon as we shut it the crying starts!

We were really lucky, ours went in without a problem from day one but the breeder did say to us just ignore them if they cry in the crate until they settle or you will make a rod for your own back. Now she often takes herself to bed in her crate. For the best really, we couldn't leave her unattended in the house at the moment I think!

We brought our 8 week cockapoo home yesterday and am struggling already with his constant howling. He seems to have developed an attachment to me already (maybe because he sat on my lap for the 5hr car journey home) and howls every time I am more than 1 step away from him. As soon as I go over to him - even if just going close but not touching he calms down instantly but howls as soon as I step away again. I keep thinking he’ll tire but he doesn’t and just keeps going and going. I’m trying to crate train so ended up sleeping on the floor with my face super close to the door so he could see me/hear my breathing as it seemed to be the only thing to stop him howling all night. I was hoping he would be better today but keeps howling constantly when I put him in his playpen. We live in an apartment so am waiting on my neighbours banging on the door!

Do I need to just keep riding it out and hoping he’ll get used to me stepping away from him eventually? I’m trying not to give in to him too much and comfort/pick him up/cuddle him but it’s so hard 😢

We had to have our 12 year old girl put to sleep late last year and I’d had her since a pup. Hardest thing in my life. Miss her so much. I’m finally feeling I’m ready for another dog… we’ve been looking at puppies, but it’s been so long since I had a puppy I forgot what it was like and this thread has really been an eye opener 😅 we’re looking at adopting a 9 month old boy, he’s already fairly well trained so far, but I know how important carrying on training is for the “teenage” stage. Has anyone adopted an older pup? How did it go? Did they adapt to their new family fairly easy? I honestly dunno whether an older pup or a young pup would be best.

We brought our 8 week cockapoo home yesterday and am struggling already with his constant howling. He seems to have developed an attachment to me already (maybe because he sat on my lap for the 5hr car journey home) and howls every time I am more than 1 step away from him. As soon as I go over to him - even if just going close but not touching he calms down instantly but howls as soon as I step away again. I keep thinking he’ll tire but he doesn’t and just keeps going and going. I’m trying to crate train so ended up sleeping on the floor with my face super close to the door so he could see me/hear my breathing as it seemed to be the only thing to stop him howling all night. I was hoping he would be better today but keeps howling constantly when I put him in his playpen. We live in an apartment so am waiting on my neighbours banging on the door!

Do I need to just keep riding it out and hoping he’ll get used to me stepping away from him eventually? I’m trying not to give in to him too much and comfort/pick him up/cuddle him but it’s so hard 😢
Cockapoos are velcro dogs, I have two and they are not a dog for those who don't want constant attachment.

For now, Id cuddle him, keep him close and give him lots of reassurance. He's just left his mum and siblings and is probably just a bit upset and confused right now. I know it seems counter productive but fostering that confidence now will pay off later on.

We have slept downstairs with both of ours when they came home, next to the crate and popped our hands through to settle them and it wasnt long until they were both sleeping through the night downstairs alone. There is 4 years between them so we've done it twice now.

Personally Id never leave my dogs to cry, I think it does more harm than good in the long run. I never left my kids to cry either.

A great resource if you have Facebook is a group called 'Cockapoo Owners Club' I have found it invaluable in the 5 years Ive been a cockapoo owner.

Also it is difficult, its hard and there will be *so* many times you want to take him back. I have been there x 2. It is normal, the puppy blues I call it. Youre doing a great job 👍

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.