Prison life

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Question I just thought of: what happens when the female inmates are on their period? Do they get issued pads and tampons? Any pain relief if they have bad cramps?
Yes, you get issued cheapy sanitary protection for free, but you can buy the posher ones on the kiosk with your spends. You can buy ibuprofen on there too, or can request pain at medical hatch

Reactions: 5
This is such an interesting thread. @Ambrosie thank you for sharing your experience.

My work used to take me into my local prison back in the 90s, I worked with staff rather than directly with prisoners but obviously interacted with them at times.

I once attended a session where 2 lifers talked about their experience and how they had ended up in prison, this was in connection with a qualification I was doing at the time.

• Wow
You’d only be allowed a certain amount of things to keep.what they didn’t give you would be held for you until you are released.
I can’t remember the amounts now, but when you first arrive on “basic” you’re allowed about five tops, five bottoms. If you behave and become “enhanced” -takes eight weeks - then you can have eight of each. I might have those numbers a bit wrong. One pair of slippers, one coat etc.
---

Someone with me had a bank account, then I impersonated someone else with a fake card (but genuine person with a real account, same details as the card). Person with me linked their card to the person I played and then just spent the money, using the genuine card. Far more was taken than I was told. I know I’m a twit for it.

My incompetent solicitor assured me I wouldn’t be sentenced as first offence, but I knew he was crap so I had it in my head I’d be sentenced so was prepared. Yes it’s impacted jobs massively. I’ve only had one crap fixed term job in a call centre since I left Sept 2021. No one wants a fraudster, they assume you’ll steal from them.
Oh my word! Interesting you managed to do that though, I wouldn’t know where to begin!

can you not get a job that doesn’t require a DBS check and just don’t declare your past? Does this impact you getting tourist visas for abroad etc x
---
On the subject of prison - I watched episode 3 of the parole programme on bbc and wow -

I was shocked the guy who had been in prison for armed robbery etc got let out - I was really rooting for him to turn his life around on the outside but within 4 months he was back inside. It’s hard cos they’ve known nothing but inside prison for 15-20 years since they were young.

How can they be expected to try and cope with the outside world, it’s a shame and it makes me wonder how much support is really out there for prisoners who have been let out on licence / got parole (not sure of the right terms?) they’ve got to convince the parole board they are ready to cope with life outside prison and I can’t imagine how hard it must be leaving prison to go to a hostel almost and starting again. I completely get why alot of those who have been in prison for 10+ years get in trouble again and recalled back. It’s probably easier for them to have that network of support and not having to cope with the mental load of life outside prison.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Oh my word! Interesting you managed to do that though, I wouldn’t know where to begin!

can you not get a job that doesn’t require a DBS check and just don’t declare your past? Does this impact you getting tourist visas for abroad etc x
---
On the subject of prison - I watched episode 3 of the parole programme on bbc and wow -

I was shocked the guy who had been in prison for armed robbery etc got let out - I was really rooting for him to turn his life around on the outside but within 4 months he was back inside. It’s hard cos they’ve known nothing but inside prison for 15-20 years since they were young.

How can they be expected to try and cope with the outside world, it’s a shame and it makes me wonder how much support is really out there for prisoners who have been let out on licence / got parole (not sure of the right terms?) they’ve got to convince the parole board they are ready to cope with life outside prison and I can’t imagine how hard it must be leaving prison to go to a hostel almost and starting again. I completely get why alot of those who have been in prison for 10+ years get in trouble again and recalled back. It’s probably easier for them to have that network of support and not having to cope with the mental load of life outside prison.
I always declare it, DBS checks or not. Don’t want someone to accuse me of trying to hide it.

Alas, I can barely go anywhere abroad now. Fraud is a biggie really.

I felt bad for that chap on the Parole programme. All that work he did, I thought he’d scuppered it by admitting he’d taken himself off his meds, so was pleased he did get released. For a while, at least.

I watch a youtuber called Christina Randall. She's from Florida but has been to prison and jail quite a lot when younger. She's done a bunch of videos about her experiences. I find it weirdly interesting!

Reactions: 2
👋
If anyone has any questions about US prisons I can try and answer them, I have someone close to me incarcerated there.
Sorry if this has been asked haven’t read full thread yet, but I’ve always wondered where do sex offenders go in us prison? In uk they have a separate wing VP and they are all housed together so basically get no tit and their wing is usually the cleanest calmest, So my question is if sex offenders (and Ps) are put among general offenders is it not constant attacks etc

I read Orange Is The New Black but didn't find Piper's account very compelling. Just kept going on about how lucky she was to be middle class and have her friends and family send in loads of stuff for her.

My image of a Women's prison is a mix between Bad Girls and Wentworth 😂 However going by @Ambrosie's posts it's not quite as dramatic as that

Reactions: 1
Currently watching “The Best Little Prison in Britain” series on YouTube. It’s about the tiny prison on the Isle of Man and it’s so far from the documentaries I’ve watched on places like Frankland and Belmarsh. 150 inmates 🤣

I found the Prison: First & Last 24 Hours documentary series really interesting too 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Reactions: 7
I read Orange Is The New Black but didn't find Piper's account very compelling. Just kept going on about how lucky she was to be middle class and have her friends and family send in loads of stuff for her.

My image of a Women's prison is a mix between Bad Girls and Wentworth 😂 However going by @Ambrosie's posts it's not quite as dramatic as that
I was on the “nice” enhanced wing where you would get chucked off for the tiniest thing. When I went to health care appointments or saw those from other wings on way to work or whatever, I have to admit I was a bit scared! Definitely a few aggressive ladies who were waiting to start a fight. One did start on me and I told her to duck herself and she launched herself at me, luckily a guard grabbed her and removed her. I was set to defend myself but she was a lot “harder” than me. A few weeks later she had the nerve to ask if I would give her my book (we were both waiting to see the nurse. I had shocking ulcers while I was there, it was grim) as she was on segregation and had no TV. She did NOT get my book

• Sad
Reactions: 9
@eggfriedrice you should be really careful about what you’re divulging on here you know. Basic prison questions yeah not really an issue answering. But when you’re talking about specific prisoners and their troubles you should really be more careful. I work in a prison and have done for 12 years but I know better than to talk about it on tattle. It isn’t hard to work out from what you’ve said, what prison you work at: I would be careful about what you write as your digital footprint is watched and governors will not take kindly to this
I agree as an ex HSE officer. It’s all about keeping yourself safe both online and off. We were always really careful with things like removing our eps, chain, belt etc when we left or went out for lunch but there’s plenty of people, always from the lower security establishments it seemed, who walk around showing everything off which can easily trace you to your home/car/family. I’ve seen people in a shopping centre and supermarket with their eps on/full utility belt which baffles me as they’re not comfy!

It’s an amazing job, I’m sure there’s no mal intent with this thread and there’s some wonderful people in the job but I would never disclose anything about working in a prison as it’s a fine line between what the public should or can know and giving out information that can identify you, be misused as a security risk or should be kept confidential under what we all sign when we’re employed. What goes on behind the wall stays behind the wall and all that.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Jeeeez….I guess he wasn’t lying 😳
I don’t know if this is true, but there was a rumour all over my prison that one of the pregnant inmates wasn’t actually pregnant when she was admitted…..(gossip did make the time pass quicker though!)

• Wow
There was a prisoner/correctional officer situation in my husbands prison before I met him, it was a mindfuck of a story but I can’t go into it cos it could be googled and I don’t want his state to be known for privacy reasons.

• Wow
There was a prisoner/correctional officer situation in my husbands prison before I met him, it was a mindfuck of a story but I can’t go into it cos it could be googled and I don’t want his state to be known for privacy reasons.
Did you meet your husband whilst he was in prison? 😊 I sometimes I peruse those penpal sites out of sheer curiosity 😂

Hi all 👋🏼
I’m the same as a previous poster, the only person inside I’ve been exposed to is Sam Walker. Absolute misogynistic bell end from Liverpool. He is openly on his phone in jail.How is this allowed?
Also…why do female prison officers fall for inmates, are they just so manipulative? Or are the officers naive?

Reactions: 9
Hi all 👋🏼
I’m the same as a previous poster, the only person inside I’ve been exposed to is Sam Walker. Absolute misogynistic bell end from Liverpool. He is openly on his phone in jail.How is this allowed?
Also…why do female prison officers fall for inmates, are they just so manipulative? Or are the officers naive?
I've noticed loads of them on TikTok. I assume they get the phones smuggled in but how are they uploading them to TikTok?!

I once read something about prison that has always stuck with me: that people go to prison AS punishment, not FOR punishment (at least that’s how it should be).

Reactions: 6
I've noticed loads of them on TikTok. I assume they get the phones smuggled in but how are they uploading them to TikTok?!
I’ve never been able to work out how they have internet. They can’t even bribe an officer to piggyback their phone as officers have to hand their phones in when they arrive for work everyday. I’d have expected there to be a “jammer” of some kind. I got accused of having a phone once cos my power kept tripping. Cheek. There were only 2 plug sockets. i had the telly in one and was using a hairdryer in the other. It blew the socket a few times. The electrician said it’s often those people charging a phone that cause that to happen. It was common knowledge that the wing above ours had two phones being used though. Little tiny ones like they could go on a key ring

Reactions: 4
To be fair, if the prison officer and prisoner are having sexual relations, that’s usually how they get their phones/sim cards and also how the SIM cards are kept topped up. Same as the drugs really, family and visitors get the blame for them but a pretty high % also comes from the officers themselves.
In the US, some prisons trailed copying mail and visiting was closed due to covid yet more and more phones and/or drugs were found. It’s a vicious cycle that won’t ever end unfortunately.
---
I just wanted to add too, it looks like I’m blaming prison officers and that is not the case, just in case someone suggests it. It’s a mix of family and friends smuggling it in and the officers.

• Wow
I watch a youtuber called Christina Randall. She's from Florida but has been to prison and jail quite a lot when younger. She's done a bunch of videos about her experiences. I find it weirdly interesting!
I follow Jessica Kent and Tina Tsaconas.

Jessica had a couple of prison stints and her last one when she entered prison she was about 3 weeks pregnant so she talks about health care and giving birth in the prison system and removal of her child and the fight to get the child back. She is from New York, that was where she did her first stint but the last one was in Arkansas. She has remained out of prison for 10 years now.

Tina Tsaconas is from Atlanta, Georgia, in recovery and talks about her time in prison. things that she did while in active addiction, going to meetings, getting a job while in a halfway house and recovery in general.

Reactions: 2