Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Ambrosie

VIP Member
I hope I’ll be welcome. I have been in prison myself, but please don’t think I’m a nasty convict. I had a horrible time in my life and did something I shouldn’t. I was in a women’s prison fir a few months just after COVID. I thought a perspective from being the one locked up might be useful.
Off to read the thread now

• Heart
Reactions: 69

terfette

Chatty Member
My best friends brother has been in prison a few times over the years. No direct experience myself but he got that good at playing pool/snooker -are they the same? - I don’t know but I know I’ve seen him pot every ball In one shot multiple times and no one likes playing him anymore because he always wins.

he escaped a few times aswell. One time was at Christmas and the police rang his mum and said he wouldn’t get any time added on if he came back on Boxing Day so he did 😂

In all fairness tho it was never prison he needed and eventually he was treated in a secure unit for mental health for a good couple of years.

He’s never been done for anything violent, one time he robbed a department store (the store was closed he smashed the window to get in) left a trail of clothes to his front door, answered the door to the police wearing clothes complete with security tags and told them he’d been at home all night.

• Haha
Reactions: 47

terfette

Chatty Member
Sorry for the laughing reaction but I did have a little giggle reading this! I’m glad he got the help he needed though as I deal with a lot of prisoners with severe mental health issues and honestly prison just doesn’t help them at all! They do their best but sometimes they need more help than what we offer.
The pool/snooker question - lads come in with no idea how to play, few weeks/months they’re amazing at it! I also don’t know the rules or the difference but I know you have to call what pocket you’re potting the black into otherwise all hell breaks lose 😂
We had tournaments around Christmas and new year time and the winner won £5 pin credit 😂
He laughs about it himself now don’t worry 😂 I wouldn’t have shared otherwise.

I remember once coming back (my best friend was my next door neighbour growing up) to a street full of police cars. My friend told me he’d robbed Tesco and their mum looked offended and went “excuse me, he did NOT rob Tesco. He paid For everything from Tesco it was the bookies he robbed”
Me and my bestie were doubled over like “Oh that’s ok then mum” (she’s a second mum to me).

Again, non violent, a staff member had left £500 out on the counter and he picked it up and walked off and went and did a massive food shop for his mum and bought beer for everybody 😂😂

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 34

eggfriedrice

VIP Member
Hi guys, didn’t know what to name it so it’s a very generic name 😂
I’ve started this thread as a couple of people have said they’d be interested in a prison thread from the downfall of yakult aka Stephen Bear so here we go 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 34

Ambrosie

VIP Member
I watched the documentary last night about Stephen Bear and Georgia Harrison. It reminded me of when I was in prison and one of the women on the wing was unfortunate enough to have a two part 48 Hours in Custody being shown on Channel 4 that was about her arrest and conviction. Every single person in the prison watched it I think. Then everyone watched part 2 the following week. I hope everyone in Bear’s prison watched last nights programme so they could see what a vile piece of crap he is.

• Heart
Reactions: 32

DCICassieStuart

VIP Member
@stunrw
Ohhhh, ok. Is that the reason why we were put behind our doors when the girl set fire to her cell?
it was really bad, & fire brigade came, which we LOVED!! 😂😂. 50+ horny, sex starved prisoners seeing a few men in uniforms almost caused a (happy) riot! The noise coming from the girls was deafening! A few girls got nicked because they refused to go behind their door. Our flaps were left open , but bc of our shouting at the firemen they were shut, but if you bang your door you can make the flaps open . 👍👍😂.
A group of hot fireman are bound to make your flaps open alright 😉😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 30

Elle Woods

VIP Member
I know prison girlfriends/wives tik toks got mentioned on the bear thread which led to this just been watching one where they said they're off to Ibiza and nothing their man can do about it being inside and the comments are so toxic not sure how serious they are but one girl said her bf took her passport with him so she can't go away and others were saying they wouldn't date go on holiday while their partners are in prison because they would kick off 🤯
My friend is like this. Her partner is currently in prison, not yet sentenced but already served almost 18 months. He phones her anything upwards of 4 times a day and she feels like she's always got to be on hand to take his call. She got invited to a hen do recently, it was only at center parcs but she didn't go because it "didn't feel right to be going away whilst he's stuck in there". She's self employed so schedules her clients around the times she knows he typically calls so that she won't miss his call. It's like she's serving a bit of a sentence as well because she's always got to consider talking to him before agreeing to any plans, it's sad really. If he can't get hold of her he'll ring one of us and ask us to go and check she's ok!

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 29

Sunlifeover50

VIP Member
In all fairness tho it was never prison he needed and eventually he was treated in a secure unit for mental health for a good couple of years.

He’s never been done for anything violent, one time he robbed a department store (the store was closed he smashed the window to get in) left a trail of clothes to his front door, answered the door to the police wearing clothes complete with security tags and told them he’d been at home all night.

it’s this that I find quite sad about prison. How many will be there because of MH issues. I don’t know if anyone remembers that bbc3 documentary sex, drugs and murder? It’s about prostitutes in Leeds, they’re all addicts and nearly all of them were in care when they were younger. They start on drugs, then prostitution to fund the habit, all of them had been in prison at some point. Some even enjoyed prison because it helped them get clean for a bit. Most of them didn’t seem phased by going. It’s such a sad documentary but really highlights the issues- it was just a vicious cirlce for these girls.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 27

stunrw

VIP Member
In my experience, the CPS work very closely with the police and they do in fact have a lot of control over which judge presided over a case. You lot can talk about how they’re not meant to and that the UK is not like the US and blah blah blah, but in MY EXPERIENCE they were able to delay a case being brought to court because they were waiting for a particular judge that they had chosen to sit over it.
Ok. Was it for something "low level" or was it something that would require specific sentencing powers; so something that would be a potential life sentence? Complex fraud/sexual offence where the judge has insight from their time as a barrister?

The CPS work with the Police because they are the prosecuting authority. Police gather evidence. CPS Direct (normally over the phone) or in more complex cases an actual Crown Prosecutor authorises the charge based on the evidence presented by the police. At the point of charging the Custody Sgt will either bail to court (from the computer in front of him) or remand to the next duty court in magistrates.

In the UK most offences are dealt with by magistrates. 3 normal people who freely give of their free time to sit in court. There are classes of offences which have to be kicked up to Crown Court, but the majority (even what are called "either way") can be dealt with in the magistrates court within their sentencing powers.

Only serious stuff, or where the magistrates think the potential custodial sentence is outside their powers, will it be sent to the crown court. At THAT point (i.e where the Chair of the Bench) says that between the 3 of them they think it need to be committed to the Crown Court, the Clerk of the Court will find the first available date in the system for whats called a PTPH Hearing. That will be before whichever judge has space in the diary. The defendant is then bailed to appear on that date/remanded to prison until that date.

On appearance in the Crown Court the indictment will be read and a plea will be entered. NG? A trial date will be set, again by the clerk of the court. Not the judge. G? Sentencing hearing will be set, again by the clerk. Not the police (who are only R's witnesses at this point) or the CPS Barrister. It might be reserved to that specific judge or it might just go into the "when someone has space".

I would be very interested to know how in your experience the Police managed to delay a hearing for a specific judge. Judges get wrapped up in trials. Judges go on holiday. Judges in some cases, die. Because unless that judge was needed for specific knowledge or sentencing powers it would be a fairly futile exercise to pick one. The sentencing guidelines the judges use are the same. They don't pluck stuff out of the air. And anyone that goes over and above end up with it being appealed and if there is a fault in the judges decision making, the sentence is reduced.

Without 🍉 I would be genuinely interested to know how in your experience the Police managed to influence the court to provide a specific judge and what benefit that would bring them based on the jury trial system and the well established sentencing framework they have to work within.

Edit: Before anyone demands im burned at the stake again, im genuinely interested. As this isn't my experience of the system as a professional adjacent

• Heart

Tifastrife

VIP Member
I just want to say a thank you to both the people who work in prisons and those who have experienced being in them for their honesty and time. This thread is so interesting and understanding I love it.

• Heart

eggfriedrice

VIP Member
So on the SB thread there has been lots of comments in the lead up to his incarceration about the hopes of what would happen to him in prison etc. I can’t wish those sorts of things on anyone because sexual assault is sexual assault at the end of the day. But…..how true to life is it that this goes on in prison?
I can’t comment on every prison just mine however it doesn’t happen very often, that gets reported anyway.
I’ve caught two guys giving each other head in the showers but it was consensual. Also caught two guys in a double pad having sex but again consensual. There has been allegations of sexual assault but it’s usually by the LGBTQ+ prisoners and when investigated they turn out to be untrue/over exaggerated as to what has actually happened.
I’m not saying it doesn’t happen though because it does.. I’ve just not came across that in my career..
Hey.. I applied to the prison officer relocation scheme . I passed the online tests and have the assessment centre . What I’m wondering though is that I use to visit my ex partner in jail for years .. he’s now on a recall to prison ( but on the run ) would I still be able to work in a prison .. I don’t want to waste my time doing the assessment centre if not . Thanks for any help .
I wouldn’t say pull out of the assessment - but I would say declare absolutely everything when they ask.
I have a half brother (met him a handful of times) who is constantly in and out of prison which I declared when I started as it would be a conflict of interest if I ever went to a prison he was in. I don’t have anythjng
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I take my hat off to you BIG time. I visited someone in prison once and that was bad enough. Confrontation is one of my biggest fears, and I was even scared being in the waiting room with the males prisoners wife's/girlfriends. Absolutely terrified me.

I'd also like to say that anyone that works in or to do with law, I have huge respect...and I know we have a two or three here ♥ It would have been my dream job to be a barrister or CID Police, but to put it simply, I'm not that intelligent! I'm not an idiot, but I believe being able to do a job involving the law, criminals etc etc, requires talent. Especially prosecution and defence lawyers

Do YOU face much confrontation from the prisoners?
Thank you so much ❤
Honestly I’m not going to lie, when I first started I was shit scared! I still going into situations now & my belly goes all funny with the anticipation of what’s going to happen because things can kick off in an instant, but you’ve just gotta fake it until you make it! They pick up on EVERYTHING.. they know if you’re scared & will play on that. My first shift as an officer I was in kit doing a planned removal (so moving a prisoner from his cell to the seg) and I was so nervous 😂 I was with officers that had loads of experience and here’s little old me (well I was 22 at the time) kitted up in riot gear, facing a prisoner who had 2 weapons who was ready to fight anyone, and just had to get on with it!
In terms of confrontation - yes. I get it absolutely every day. It wouldn’t be a day in the prison without an argument with one of them. But as weird as it sounds, I work with these prisoners day in, day out.. I can have a major argument with one of them and then 9 times out of 10 go in the next day and it all be fine or a lot of the times they do apologise to me.
We had a lad the other day who missed his video call for his parole, never been an issue on the wing, good as gold enhanced prisoner - he came down to get his lunch meal & just started swearing in my face telling me to fuck off and we’re all useless blah blah, got him back to his cell and then when he came down to his evening meal he apologised and just said he shouldn’t have taken his frustrations out on me but tbh it is what it is.. I get moody sometimes if I’m in a bad mood and the smallest things piss me off and they’re all like “ah you’re in a mood today” 😂🤷🏽‍♀️
But yeah, you’ll always get confrontation. (Unless you’re a yes man who lets them get away with anything, unfortunately that isn’t me & whilst I have banter with them, they know not to cross the line with me)
---
Oh God this is where I find out I know you from a pickup 😂
Hahahah, imagine!! 😂

• Heart
  • Haha

stunrw

VIP Member
CPS are not the police. They're a separate body. And I'm not sure they choose the judge?
No. They don't. At all. The UK is not America where the lawyers go judge shopping. The cases are allocated to whoever happens to be working that day. You could be really unlucky if the presiding judge is there and has space (Red Judge - High Court). You could get a purple judge (one of the normal local resident judges. Or you could get a Recorder (a barrister who is authorised to sit as a judge).

Obviously if its murder you aren't going to get a Recorder. You will get a Purple or a Red. But "low level" you'll get whoever has a gap in their list.

The judiciary are completely separate to the Police & the CPS. The CPS are completely separate from the Police. The Listing Officer at the Court is the person who allocates where cases go. And they are employed by HMCTS. Who are.......... completely separate from the CPS and the Police.

Once an initial hearing takes place, a judge can do whats called "reserve" the case to themselves. That actually works better as it speeds things up and they have already read the bundle. Whereas if it goes back into the "whoever has 10 minutes" then the new judge has to read the paperwork.

Reactions: 26

moreanimalsplease1

My friend is like this. Her partner is currently in prison, not yet sentenced but already served almost 18 months. He phones her anything upwards of 4 times a day and she feels like she's always got to be on hand to take his call. She got invited to a hen do recently, it was only at center parcs but she didn't go because it "didn't feel right to be going away whilst he's stuck in there". She's self employed so schedules her clients around the times she knows he typically calls so that she won't miss his call. It's like she's serving a bit of a sentence as well because she's always got to consider talking to him before agreeing to any plans, it's sad really. If he can't get hold of her he'll ring one of us and ask us to go and check she's ok!
I was psychologically abused and manipulated by an ex and this is ringing serious alarm bells

• Heart
Reactions: 25

eggfriedrice

VIP Member
@eggfriedrice Hope you are ok and haven’t been made too anxious about posting on here xx
Thank you my lovely! I’m okay, I do feel quite anxious posting on here plus I’ve been working quite a lot too so briefly catch up when I can. Have reported my older posts but nothings been removed yet but now I’m just overthinking everything I post on here as I value my job soooo much & don’t want to be in a position where I could lose it
Hope you’re okay too though 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 25

Betina

Chatty Member
Ooh I love a day sesh 💃🍸🍹
Enjoy @eggfriedrice 😘🥳
---
Whilst we're all confessing our 'sins'
Betina spent a night in the cells about 8 years ago 🙃 I got locked up for supposedly battering my then boyfriend in a hotel room.
Interesting considering I was the one with a broken nose, 2 black eyes and cuts and bruises 🕵🏻 but because the hotel staff could hear me shouting and going mental they assumed it was me attacking him and I got arrested. Obviously I was hitting him back and shouting, but the custody sargent the next morning even said if I was the perpetrator why did I look the way I did and there wasn't a mark on him?
He got a taxi back home and I spent a night in the cells about 40 miles away from home.

It was a very dark time in my life. I'd never been in trouble with the police before and when I got to the police station I couldn't even get my words out I was crying so much (I was absolutely pissed as a fart as well 🙈) so I just got put in a cell to sleep it off and interviewed the next morning. I got bailed and luckily for me no further action was taken, but I was terrified I was going to prison for assault and criminal damage (apparently the hotel room was pretty smashed up)

This boyfriend was supposed to be the nice guy after getting out of a horrible marriage. I stayed single for another 2 years after him 💀

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 24

observerisshe

Chatty Member
Let’s not oversee the fact that people go to prison for breaking the law. It’s not meant to be an easy ride in there

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 24

BigBrenda

Chatty Member
Ohhh shit 😳 How did he make that kinda money? Do you mind me asking what he did to get 33 years?
Murder. And selling drugs. He met a screw who liked him and within weeks she was bringing in drugs and phones for him. It only came out because he’s cell got spun and they found the phone and her number was in it. Don’t know what she got but this was in London a few years back.

• Wow
Reactions: 23

Wolfshead

Not sure what this thread is about but I have some experience of visiting jails in Canada if that's of interest to anyone.
---
US prisons seem shit scary! I used to watch 60 Days In and I would HATE to be in prison.
I agree with you - they are horrendous. Especially when you see the statistics. I believe the US has the highest number of incarcerated citizens in the world.

A lot of people would say that's how prisons should be, but they forget that the inmates will be out one day, living in their communities. Instead of treating them like animals we should surely be preparing them to be good citizens - as far as that's possible.

• Heart
Reactions: 22