Prison life

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I just want to say a thank you to both the people who work in prisons and those who have experienced being in them for their honesty and time. This thread is so interesting and understanding I love it.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
Just joining to say that someone close to me did a 4 month stretch in a UK prison well known for suicides last year. An older building. It was a shock, especially as nobody dealing with the case believed they'd get sent down and this person wouldn't put up much of a defence because they wanted to face their guilt, having done something very out of character.

There was a lot of boredom. Life was quite mundane. The worst thing was the 23 hour a day 'lock up' in a cell. No opportunities for playing pool or anything. The 'hour out' was for a walk round the yard and a trip to the library. If there was 'staff training' on a given day, they never got out of the pad at all. Short-term prisoners weren't offered much in the way of jobs that got them out of their pads and there was so little to do. My friend waited weeks to get on an art course, which only came up in the last few weeks of the sentence. That meant two hours a day release from the pad a few days a week. Time was spent drawing, making things out of basic implements and watching the very limited TV service. You had to be doing more 'serious' time to earn certain privileges. Mental health and opportunities for various forms of rehabilitation wasn't really addressed very well. First cellmate was a pain in the bdackside but there was the option to bunk up with another person in the last month, which improved things somewhat. The food was ok, if a bit bland for a vegetarian.

My friend, thankfully, took in their stride, accepting that they were there to be punished. They said it wasn't a time full of dramas, like you see on TV. There was the odd ruckus but it was usually diffused. Surprising, considering how long the inmates had to spend in their pads. It was awful for the family outside, though, because communication was limited and it took nearly a month to get any kind of communication at all, due to the various checks and procedures.
It makes me laugh cos on soaps it makes it look like visitors can rock up whenever they like.

Reactions: 8
Random question - do they have pyjamas to sleep in or so they have to wear their day clothes?
No pjs in my husbands prison (in the us) so he wears shorts and a t shirt, maybe just shorts in the summer time as it’s way too hot in his state.
Someone within his unit slept naked and one time the blanket fell off in his sleep, when the CO’s did their rounds, his 🍆 was out and he got sent to the hole because they thought he was deliberately flashing 🤦🏻‍♀️ no further action was taken against him and I would hope he at least wears boxers to sleep now 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 8
No pjs in my husbands prison (in the us) so he wears shorts and a t shirt, maybe just shorts in the summer time as it’s way too hot in his state.
Someone within his unit slept naked and one time the blanket fell off in his sleep, when the CO’s did their rounds, his 🍆 was out and he got sent to the hole because they thought he was deliberately flashing 🤦🏻‍♀️ no further action was taken against him and I would hope he at least wears boxers to sleep now 😂
We were allowed pyjamas/nightshirts in my prison. They could be sent in, or brought in if you had them in court before you were sentenced. They had to be appropriate though, shouldn’t be skimpy or see through. You weren’t meant to wear them on the wing but people would chance it, then get sent to get changed,

Reactions: 3
We were working in Ireland recently; one of my colleagues asked for blackcurrant in his Guinness..............barmans response "Sorry we don't do cocktails"
When I was pregnant ( way way back) Dr. Told me drink Guinness in milk for the iron 🤢🤢🤮🤮 it wasn't a palatable combination.

• Sick
Reactions: 1
We were allowed pyjamas/nightshirts in my prison. They could be sent in, or brought in if you had them in court before you were sentenced. They had to be appropriate though, shouldn’t be skimpy or see through. You weren’t meant to wear them on the wing but people would chance it, then get sent to get changed,
Hi,

thanks for sharing you went to prison, can I ask what type of fraud it was? What happened? Will it impact your chances of jobs etc?

Did you know you would be getting a custodial sentence?x

In theory, could you rock up to court with two massive suitcases as if you were going into Big Brother?

• Haha
Reactions: 13
In theory, could you rock up to court with two massive suitcases as if you were going into Big Brother?
You’d only be allowed a certain amount of things to keep.what they didn’t give you would be held for you until you are released.
I can’t remember the amounts now, but when you first arrive on “basic” you’re allowed about five tops, five bottoms. If you behave and become “enhanced” -takes eight weeks - then you can have eight of each. I might have those numbers a bit wrong. One pair of slippers, one coat etc.
---
Hi,

thanks for sharing you went to prison, can I ask what type of fraud it was? What happened? Will it impact your chances of jobs etc?

Did you know you would be getting a custodial sentence?x
Someone with me had a bank account, then I impersonated someone else with a fake card (but genuine person with a real account, same details as the card). Person with me linked their card to the person I played and then just spent the money, using the genuine card. Far more was taken than I was told. I know I’m a twit for it.

My incompetent solicitor assured me I wouldn’t be sentenced as first offence, but I knew he was crap so I had it in my head I’d be sentenced so was prepared. Yes it’s impacted jobs massively. I’ve only had one crap fixed term job in a call centre since I left Sept 2021. No one wants a fraudster, they assume you’ll steal from them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15
Thanks Ambrosie - that makes sense. Everyone's on the same footing then.
---
Is there a time limit on how long you have to declare it to potential emoplyers? Must be hard, I'm sorry.

Reactions: 2
@eggfriedrice you should be really careful about what you’re divulging on here you know. Basic prison questions yeah not really an issue answering. But when you’re talking about specific prisoners and their troubles you should really be more careful. I work in a prison and have done for 12 years but I know better than to talk about it on tattle. It isn’t hard to work out from what you’ve said, what prison you work at: I would be careful about what you write as your digital footprint is watched and governors will not take kindly to this

Reactions: 15
Question I just thought of: what happens when the female inmates are on their period? Do they get issued pads and tampons? Any pain relief if they have bad cramps?

Reactions: 7
@eggfriedrice you should be really careful about what you’re divulging on here you know. Basic prison questions yeah not really an issue answering. But when you’re talking about specific prisoners and their troubles you should really be more careful. I work in a prison and have done for 12 years but I know better than to talk about it on tattle. It isn’t hard to work out from what you’ve said, what prison you work at: I would be careful about what you write as your digital footprint is watched and governors will not take kindly to this
I agree. By giving your career history someone in your sector will be able to make an educated guess on who it is (and probably quite easily if you’re on LinkedIn)

• Heart
I second this. The ramifications for sharing confidential information would be huge. Not worth the risk imo.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Completely agree and noted. My intention wasn’t to give confidential information away & I will definitely be more aware of what I post going forward!
Sorry everyone.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Completely agree and noted. My intention wasn’t to give confidential information away & I will definitely be more aware of what I post going forward!
Sorry everyone.
See if moderators can remove your post detailing your career history, just to help anonymise yourself a bit more.

• Heart
Reactions: 10