Prison life

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ah @Terflife I'm glad you got the help and support you needed. You doing good now?
Yes, I'm a lot better now. Completely different life now. 👍.
I do have my 'bad day's ' (m.h & temptation) but the feeling passes, plus the temptation is happening less & less now)
I'm on medication for it, plus medication for my m.h.
So, life is good, 💕😊.
---
@merlot @stunrw
Yes, it really does happen. Not nice, at all. I've fortunately never witnessed sugar & water thrown at someone, but I have seen hot drink chucked at a woman, & I've seen hot water from the kettle thrown & it burnt the woman's arm & chest. 😲😱.
they aren't your big kitchen kettles, lol. They are the 'travel' size ones.
some prisons give you flasks , which you'd get about 2 drinks out of, so once you were behind your door for the night you were screwed for a hot drink once flask was empty & had to wait until unlock at 8am.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
I always think of prison on a sunny day. I wonder if they are locked in a cell whilst it's sunny outside or whether they have a garden 🤔
depends what kind of prison, regime , your IEP etc.
if you're on basic & you don't have education or work then you'll be behind your door.
you do get called to go outside , but that will be on your wings exercise 'yard' . Which in the nice weather happened everyday. The healthy gym heads would run around, most would sun bathe. Summer was a killer inside, it got way too hot. I had a fan but it just blew hot air.
I n the winter it was too cold..... Sanitary towels were used to cover the vents on the windows. 😂.
Some prisons have animals, & gardens where veg, flowers, plants etc were grown, which got you outside a lot more .
there's all different kinds of jobs for prisoners,

Reactions: 1
I always think of prison on a sunny day. I wonder if they are locked in a cell whilst it's sunny outside or whether they have a garden 🤔
Where I work yard is first thing in the morning before movement to work/domestic periods and that’s the only time they’re able to use the exercise yard daily… if you don’t get up/decline to go outside then it’s tough basically until the next day 🤷🏽‍♀️

Reactions: 4
depends what kind of prison, regime , your IEP etc.
if you're on basic & you don't have education or work then you'll be behind your door.
you do get called to go outside , but that will be on your wings exercise 'yard' . Which in the nice weather happened everyday. The healthy gym heads would run around, most would sun bathe. Summer was a killer inside, it got way too hot. I had a fan but it just blew hot air.
I n the winter it was too cold..... Sanitary towels were used to cover the vents on the windows. 😂.
Some prisons have animals, & gardens where veg, flowers, plants etc were grown, which got you outside a lot more .
there's all different kinds of jobs for prisoners,
Wow thanks for the insight. I find it bizarre they can’t just go outside whenever they want. I’m aware it’s probably for safety reasons and fights etc and it has to be done controlled.

Terflife - what was your first night ever in prison like?! Where you scared? I hope you don’t mind me asking questions and I’m glad prison helped you.

In my husbands prison (in the US) they go to yard twice a day, although it’s been once a day lately. But in the summer the CO’s don’t want to be in the sun shine when it reaches 100°F so they cancel it a lot. So their 2 x 1 hours outside doesn’t happen as much as it should.

Reactions: 3
@al255

Terflife - what was your first night ever in prison like?! Where you scared? I hope you don’t mind me asking questions and I’m glad prison helped you.
[/QUOTE]

tbh, no I wasn't scared, I was too ill to care! Lol. It was quite late when we were taken to the detox wing & everyone was behind their door for the night, got diazepam & was told doctor would see us in the morning to start us on methadone. The girl on the same sweatbox as me was my padmate & turned out she had a bit of gear & shared it with me.
we were a bit apprehensive about the next morning as we knew 'new girls' were always checked out so promised we'd have each other's back if anything happened.
We were lucky as we found out canteen day had been a couple of days before so women wouldn't be wounded & looking for easy targets.
moving to a new wing a week after was a bit scary as the layout was a lot different & bigger, & you're taken over in the daytime & everyone can see when someone new comes on. Plus that 2nd wing y.o so it was loud, full of different types of young women, some nice , some wanting to try & make a name for themselves, I found the lifers, & long sentenced women the nicest, as they wanted to get their heads down & do their time, they weren't interested in the bs that a lot of women were into.
---
In my husbands prison (in the US) they go to yard twice a day, although it’s been once a day lately. But in the summer the CO’s don’t want to be in the sun shine when it reaches 100°F so they cancel it a lot. So their 2 x 1 hours outside doesn’t happen as much as it should.
U.S prisons seem crazy! I've seen a few documentaries about them & they look scary, tbh! ..... & inhumane!
100's of men / women share a dorm , up at about 5am for breakfast! Have to wear uniform, women get about 5 pads a month! No medication for addiction, 2 or 3 microwaves shared between 100+, the food looks like it's inedible, plus the racism! 😲😠😲.
how is your husband doing? Is he in a dorm?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
@Terflife just wanted to say congratulations on your recovery and thank you for sharing your experiences with us. I don’t work in the sector but it’s great to hear a “success story”! It’s a great achievement and you should be really proud ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 18
U.S prisons seem crazy! I've seen a few documentaries about them & they look scary, tbh! ..... & inhumane!
100's of men / women share a dorm , up at about 5am for breakfast! Have to wear uniform, women get about 5 pads a month! No medication for addiction, 2 or 3 microwaves shared between 100+, the food looks like it's inedible, plus the racism! 😲😠😲.
how is your husband doing? Is he in a dorm?
He’s getting by, it’s rough especially this time of year cos it gets hot hot and they only have small fans. We just take each day as it comes and it’s also 1 day closer to his release. He isn’t in a dorm thankfully. His prison used to be double cells but they changed it all to single cells a few years ago.
Other prisons in his state do have dorms though, usually the lower security ones for the people going home within a few years. One of his friends is in a dorm as he’s home next year and he hates it, he went from single room for 9 years to sharing with 9 other men 😭

• Sad
  • Wow
He’s getting by, it’s rough especially this time of year cos it gets hot hot and they only have small fans. We just take each day as it comes and it’s also 1 day closer to his release. He isn’t in a dorm thankfully. His prison used to be double cells but they changed it all to single cells a few years ago.
Other prisons in his state do have dorms though, usually the lower security ones for the people going home within a few years. One of his friends is in a dorm as he’s home next year and he hates it, he went from single room for 9 years to sharing with 9 other men 😭
so he's been in for a few years then!? Was he on remand long? I've heard of people sat in county jail for about 4 + years on remand!?
it's hot in the cells over here in summer so it must be boiling in American prisons!?
so he's home in a year!! 👍💕.

Reactions: 2
How were things in prison during covid
luckily I've been out since 2019 , before covid was even 'a thing ' . But I do know from friends I kept in contact with & from reading stuff on news, inside times etc that the lockdown was really bad inside, & it lasted a lot longer than out here (the isolating, etc) & some jails still aren't back to pre- covid times / regimes.
they had 23 hour bang up. Food, etc was brought to you. (You have hatches on your door that can only be opened from outside ) education & work was literally non existent. Education style papers were given to do in cell. They also handed out distraction packs. Because visits were stopped they started "purple visits" (video calls) basic style "out going calls only 'house' phones were put in cells. The prison service have every prisoner phone credit every week, plus gave them food (sweets, biscuits, juice etc)
Prisoners had it hard, lockdown for 2 years, at least out here we could still go out if we wanted, & had our homes to isolate in. They were locked in a small room 23hours a day. & in the summer cells are unbearable! No freezer or fridge to keep things cold.
it was easier in open & places like drake hall, as d.h is all houses, no wings.
---
How were things in prison during covid
2)---
This is a letter from a prisoner in Inside Times paper.
it's interesting, & about her time inside during covid. She didn't even get 1 hour out. She was locked up 24 hours a day. She didn't get a shower until day 8! Terrible.

Last edited:
Not sure if it's been said but Shaun attwood has done some really interesting prison story podcasts. One in particular was with a prison officer called Holly.

Those bloody dogs!
They're all cute BUT they are messy b*stards! They leave foot prints & sometimes hair all over your cell.
And that's one of the worst things as you go completely ocd with your cell. Foot prints on a lovely clean , made bed.
😞😈👣
When I was “detained” it was Covid Times. The doggy’s didn’t really have anything to do as no visitors were allowed. The good thing about this was they were walked a lot, and the handlers being less strict, so you could stroke them. I can’t tell you how much i missed my pooch.
---
💕💕. Family do a sentence as well.
it really affects children, parents etc when a parent / child is inside.
There are things that help maintain ties with family while inside.
things like storybook mums (& dad's) , children's letters (in addition to the free letter/s ) family day visits, etc.
Some prisons have a private space for a family/children's visir, as well.

I'm the same, I love prison documentaries, especially women's.
I prefer women's because I can relate to it more than men's as I've spent a while in them over the years, & sad to say that at times I miss it!?..... Don't get me wrong , I love my freedom & family / friends , but prison was my life for a while & it not only helped me , it probably saved my life.
people think prison is this terrifying place with evil bullies, but it's really not. Yes you do get your bullies, wronguns , & evil p.o.s BUT it's also got women from all walks of life, just normal women who have made a mistake, you've also got women who are always in & out. But it's also got really troubled women , & a lot of self h*rmers. 😢.
I witnessed a lot , & saw women covered in scars. Heard some horrific stories , too.
Had some sad & bad times, but also had some good times & laughs too_& made life long friends. 💕👍.
---
The people I met in prison were some of the loveliest people I’ve ever met. A few lairy ones, but mainly nice. I also made lifelong friends.
---
luckily I've been out since 2019 , before covid was even 'a thing ' . But I do know from friends I kept in contact with & from reading stuff on news, inside times etc that the lockdown was really bad inside, & it lasted a lot longer than out here (the isolating, etc) & some jails still aren't back to pre- covid times / regimes.
they had 23 hour bang up. Food, etc was brought to you. (You have hatches on your door that can only be opened from outside ) education & work was literally non existent. Education style papers were given to do in cell. They also handed out distraction packs. Because visits were stopped they started "purple visits" (video calls) basic style "out going calls only 'house' phones were put in cells. The prison service have every prisoner phone credit every week, plus gave them food (sweets, biscuits, juice etc)
Prisoners had it hard, lockdown for 2 years, at least out here we could still go out if we wanted, & had our homes to isolate in. They were locked in a small room 23hours a day. & in the summer cells are unbearable! No freezer or fridge to keep things cold.
it was easier in open & places like drake hall, as d.h is all houses, no wings.
---

2)---
This is a letter from a prisoner in Inside Times paper.
it's interesting, & about her time inside during covid. She didn't even get 1 hour out. She was locked up 24 hours a day. She didn't get a shower until day 8! Terrible.
I was in during Covid. We got lots of free phone credits, so rarely had to top it up. Free TV, instead of the 1.50 a week it usually was or however much it was. Distraction packs barely available. Bribed us with “comfort packs” once a week. They were literally big plastic bags full of crisps, choc, biscuits etc. what ground my gears was being locked up because of “staff shortages” and then you’d hear a group of guards all in the office doing feck all,
---
💕💕. Family do a sentence as well.
it really affects children, parents etc when a parent / child is inside.
There are things that help maintain ties with family while inside.
things like storybook mums (& dad's) , children's letters (in addition to the free letter/s ) family day visits, etc.
Some prisons have a private space for a family/children's visir, as well.

I'm the same, I love prison documentaries, especially women's.
I prefer women's because I can relate to it more than men's as I've spent a while in them over the years, & sad to say that at times I miss it!?..... Don't get me wrong , I love my freedom & family / friends , but prison was my life for a while & it not only helped me , it probably saved my life.
people think prison is this terrifying place with evil bullies, but it's really not. Yes you do get your bullies, wronguns , & evil p.o.s BUT it's also got women from all walks of life, just normal women who have made a mistake, you've also got women who are always in & out. But it's also got really troubled women , & a lot of self h*rmers. 😢.
I witnessed a lot , & saw women covered in scars. Heard some horrific stories , too.
Had some sad & bad times, but also had some good times & laughs too_& made life long friends. 💕👍.
---
The people I met in prison were some of the loveliest people I’ve ever met. A few lairy ones, but mainly nice. I also made lifelong friends.

my iPad broke a while ago and when I got it back all my threads were gone. I’d forgotten about this thread. Numpty that I am.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
My friend was released from prison at the end of last week- she called me today from her house and she’s home safely.
This is a lovely supportive thread and thanks to everyone for their kind words and sharing their experiences xx

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I’m not really sure what people would be interested in but any questions I’m happy to answer the best I can 🥰
Background; I’ve worked in the prison service for 6 years now. Worked in YOI estate (15-18) and I’m currently at a Cat C training prison in the midlands (18-25) although we do have prisoners that are over 25 and also some cat B, potential cat A prisoners too

Just found this thread. Can you please explain the difference between a Cat A and Cat B prison. Also what a YOI estate is.

Cat A is the most secure category of prisons, cat d is the least secure & is called an open prison.
so most dangerous peopleare in cat a prisons.
YOI= young offender institution. Prison for people under 18

• Heart
Cat A is the most secure category of prisons, cat d is the least secure & is called an open prison.
so most dangerous peopleare in cat a prisons.
YOI= young offender institution. Prison for people under 18
I follow someone on tik tok who said they've changed it so you can apply for cat D after 4 years now instead of 5? (I think) She was really excited about it but I'm sure her husband has only been in 2 years so still awhile to go. I don't have a clue about these things but was just curious

Reactions: 1
I follow someone on tik tok who said they've changed it so you can apply for cat D after 4 years now instead of 5? (I think) She was really excited about it but I'm sure her husband has only been in 2 years so still awhile to go. I don't have a clue about these things but was just curious
You can’t go to CAT D unless you have 3 years left of your sentence