Prison life

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My husband is a PO.

On the whole, you If you complete that sentence to it’s half way point (calculated release date), the prison service/probation service will do everything they can to help and MUST provide shelter. If they refuse that help, that is outside probations jurisdiction. At this point a prisoner will likely be recalled to prison for breach of their licence conditions. The prisoner will then serve the rest of their sentence in prison.
Once the final release date arrives both the prison service and probation service has no obligation to keep that prisoner and they are released with no support. Here a tent may be issued.
Really informative, thank you! No wonder some end up committing crimes just to have a bed and 3 meals a day.

Reactions: 5
Hello 👋. Just asking as I'm very curious after following the Mahek Bukhari and Lucy Letby trials earlier this year - what typically happens to convicts' social media and online accounts (like email), especially for those who are imprisoned for a long time?
Do they just get abandoned, unless they've specified for a family member or friend to manage them? I've noticed that Mahek Bukhari's Instagram is still active, my cousin's husband's (he's in prison) Snapchat account still shows up as a suggestion for me, and another distant family member's Facebook account is still up but hasn't been updated since he was imprisoned (though he may be out now)...
It just feels very weird coming across their profiles.

When Rosdeep Adekoya was arrested hers were all deactivated but her Facebook was randomly deactivated when she was in prison before being deactivated again. So I don’t know if the police got her to do it or she gave a family member the passwords to close them down.

Reactions: 1
I have some questions 😬😁
How often can they change their bedding
Do they have to buy toilet roll
Why cant they wear certain colours,/clothes
What happens if they end up with a sickness bug and they share a cell?
Do they claim benefits if in prison?
When my ex was in one (from memory hmp oakwood) the rule was that prisoners couldn't wear black on visits cos they looked too similar to the officers and therefore more likely to escape, every place has its own rules.

Only just discovered this thread, but it's so interesting!
I'm in the UK, but the other day I was watching a you tube video and it was on about Hurricane Katrina. It was saying that when katrina hit, the staff at the main prison in New Orleans abandoned their posts and just left all the inmates to fend for themselves. So they had no access to food or water for days. There was water coming in and some inmates were in the sewage infested water that was up to their shoulders! It also said that according to reports some of the inmates made a ring of steel around some of the younger inmates that were being targeted for rape/ sexual assault. Some of the inmates hadn't even been processed yet, some had never gone to trial so could have been innocent of any wrong doing- not that it makes a difference. Humans are humans and how they were all treated was appalling. But I was so shocked, I'd never heard all this before. It took days for them to be rescued and sent off to another prison. Just awful.

• Wow
Reactions: 17
Only just discovered this thread, but it's so interesting!
I'm in the UK, but the other day I was watching a you tube video and it was on about Hurricane Katrina. It was saying that when katrina hit, the staff at the main prison in New Orleans abandoned their posts and just left all the inmates to fend for themselves. So they had no access to food or water for days. There was water coming in and some inmates were in the sewage infested water that was up to their shoulders! It also said that according to reports some of the inmates made a ring of steel around some of the younger inmates that were being targeted for rape/ sexual assault. Some of the inmates hadn't even been processed yet, some had never gone to trial so could have been innocent of any wrong doing- not that it makes a difference. Humans are humans and how they were all treated was appalling. But I was so shocked, I'd never heard all this before. It took days for them to be rescued and sent off to another prison. Just awful.
Wow thats horrendous when was it? Did the prison officers face any charges?

Wow thats horrendous when was it? Did the prison officers face any charges?
It was when Hurrican Katrina hit, so 2005. I think alot of the inmates have had some sort of lawsuit against the sheriffs office. But I'm not 100% sure. I keep meaning to look into it more and see what's going on.
The video I watched was actually and Urban explore video and that's when it's mentioned. There were lots of comments on thr video talking about it too. I couldnt believe it! The prison looked so claustrophobic too. The only outside area was on top of the prison with these high concrete walls around it! The inmates must have been so scared when the hurricane hit and the water started to rush in, can you imagine??
I had no idea about any of it until I stumbled across the video
Here's a link to a article about it

Here's the Urban explore video as they walk around the now abandoned prison, I can't even begin to imagine how awful it must have been, even before the hurricane hit, to reside in here. Utterly depressing, poor souls.

Reactions: 2
It was when Hurrican Katrina hit, so 2005. I think alot of the inmates have had some sort of lawsuit against the sheriffs office. But I'm not 100% sure. I keep meaning to look into it more and see what's going on.
The video I watched was actually and Urban explore video and that's when it's mentioned. There were lots of comments on thr video talking about it too. I couldnt believe it! The prison looked so claustrophobic too. The only outside area was on top of the prison with these high concrete walls around it! The inmates must have been so scared when the hurricane hit and the water started to rush in, can you imagine??

Here's the Urban explore video as they walk around the now abandoned prison, I can't even begin to imagine how awful it must have been, even before the hurricane hit, to reside in here. Utterly depressing, poor souls.
Thank you for the links I'll take a look. I've never heard of it before either , suprised it isn't more of a well known story considering how modern it is

I've recently been watching that 60 Days In Jail (Only the first 4 though as I think after that there's no way anyone wouldn't know)

Has anything like this been tried in Britain? Or is it just too small of an Island for people to just be dropped in. I suppose as we don't have jails it makes it a bit harder as well, you'd really have to know your stuff with the charges.

I've recently been watching that 60 Days In Jail (Only the first 4 though as I think after that there's no way anyone wouldn't know)

Has anything like this been tried in Britain? Or is it just too small of an Island for people to just be dropped in. I suppose as we don't have jails it makes it a bit harder as well, you'd really have to know your stuff with the charges.
I think it would be easier here as I don't get all this concept of warrants in this state but not in another, felonys, bonds blah blah blah here they could just say got remanded as no fixed address for bail or something.

They tend to have induction wings here unlike America.

As far as I know there's been nothing similar in the UK except the Grant Mitchell actor (minds gone blank for his name sorry 😂) did a documentary where he stayed a night in a jail but it might have been in America can't remember.

I can’t imagine a government would ever agree to it in the U.K. as it would just lead to awful press about the state of the prison system

Reactions: 3
Not quite but there was a show on channel 4 where I think mostly MPs in prison with ex prisoners. (I can't remember the name now)

There is a really interesting podcast all about the prison system featuring lots of ex-prisoners called A Bit of a Stretch.

There is one guy on there who talks about his experiences in UK prison vs. America and says that the UK is so, so dysfunctional in comparison which I found surprising.

There is a really interesting podcast all about the prison system featuring lots of ex-prisoners called A Bit of a Stretch.

There is one guy on there who talks about his experiences in UK prison vs. America and says that the UK is so, so dysfunctional in comparison which I found surprising.

His books look good this was on YouTube recently:

I loved his book. I found it different to other prison novels as he is your "typical" prisoner.

They did an incredible job at sweeping this under the rug! I’ve read a few different accounts from the prisoners and most state that they were eventually evacuated to a bridge but held by armed officers who couldn’t (or maybe wouldn’t) provide anything for them (water, food, medication, etc)

• Sad
They did an incredible job at sweeping this under the rug! I’ve read a few different accounts from the prisoners and most state that they were eventually evacuated to a bridge but held by armed officers who couldn’t (or maybe wouldn’t) provide anything for them (water, food, medication, etc)
I was so shocked when I heard about it, and was really surprised it wasn't in the news more. It was awful. I dont know if anyone has been held accountable. But they literally left them to die. Hurricane Katrina was a cat 5 storm and the rising waters were the cause of many deaths. Imagine being in that prison with the water rising, no way of escape. With no food or water, not to mention violence from other inmates.
It's shocking it really is.

There was a show called Treme about this, a family trying to find where their son was and there was no credible information.
---
There was a show called Treme about this, a family trying to find where their son was and there was no credible information.
Also was this not the reason why Kanye said, "George Bush doesn't care about black people" during a fund raising concert?

Last edited:

Thank you for this - I started to listen to them in bed and couldn't remember anything about them in the morning so now listening to them in the kitchen.
I found the book on Amazon for 78p plus £2.80 postage and it arrived about an hour ago but have to make lunch before I dare open it.
Thanks again.

• Heart