Prison life

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don’t use TikTok but are there actually women/girls who are PLEASED to have a fella in prison? Like they think it’s a good thing?! Am I missing something- what’s good about having a boyfriend in prison?
We aren’t all proud of it, the ones that post on tik tok look for clout and to become ‘social media famous’ look at the likes of Naomi Oquendo (she has her own thread on here) for that. My husband is in prison and I couldn’t and wouldn’t post about it on social media trying to glorify it or be proud of it.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Sorry to hear about your husband @bamboo98 ❤ It’s hard having someone you love inside, hoping you’re reunited soon!

I think prison is a joke and not at all about rehabilitation. Not enough is done to help these men and women and if anything, it just places them around bad influences which leads to silly mistakes when they’re out

Reactions: 6
I’m just discovering how hard it is to have a loved one inside.
One of my closest friends is in prison. It’s not too long a sentence but I’m finding it tough not being able to talk to her, especially at the moment when my mental health is quite fragile.
That said I can’t even imagine how tough it is for her.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
One of my closest friends is in prison. It’s not too long a sentence but I’m finding it tough not being able to talk to her, especially at the moment when my mental health is quite fragile.
It prob won’t be as horrible in there for her as you might think, if that helps at all. I was in prison for 10 months and I made some of the best friends I’ve ever known in there. She can receive as many emails or letters as you can send. She’ll be all right. Hope you are too.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Hi everyone . My partner is in prison too if anyone has any questions on how things work in there x

• Heart
Reactions: 4
It prob won’t be as horrible in there for her as you might think, if that helps at all. I was in prison for 10 months and I made some of the best friends I’ve ever known in there. She can receive as many emails or letters as you can send. She’ll be all right. Hope you are too.
Thank you- I really appreciate it.

Reactions: 1
Let’s not oversee the fact that people go to prison for breaking the law. It’s not meant to be an easy ride in there

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
Let’s not oversee the fact that people go to prison for breaking the law. It’s not meant to be an easy ride in there
Of course, but I think you’d be surprised that not everyone in there is guilty of what they’ve been accused of. The police get away with a lot in terms of planting evidence, generally making up info that suits their case and choosing judges at court

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
Of course, but I think you’d be surprised that not everyone in there is guilty of what they’ve been accused of. The police get away with a lot in terms of planting evidence, generally making up info that suits their case and choosing judges at court
The police have absolutely no control over which judge presides over a trial.

Reactions: 17
I would have had a "duck them" attitude to people in prison once upon a time but I read a book last year called Breakfast at Bronzefield written by a former inmate and it was an eye opener about how the system sets people up to fail so they end up inside even if they don't really deserve it.

Obviously anyone violent or a risk to the public should be put away but I would like to see more community based programmes for people who have committed crimes with prison as a last resort. I work in a social care sector where a good few of my clients have been in prison themselves and I think if there had been some other option they would be in a better place now.

Much love to all those with loved ones serving sentences, it can't be easy and hope you are all managing as well as can be expected.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
CPS are not the police. They're a separate body. And I'm not sure they choose the judge?
No. They don't. At all. The UK is not America where the lawyers go judge shopping. The cases are allocated to whoever happens to be working that day. You could be really unlucky if the presiding judge is there and has space (Red Judge - High Court). You could get a purple judge (one of the normal local resident judges. Or you could get a Recorder (a barrister who is authorised to sit as a judge).

Obviously if its murder you aren't going to get a Recorder. You will get a Purple or a Red. But "low level" you'll get whoever has a gap in their list.

The judiciary are completely separate to the Police & the CPS. The CPS are completely separate from the Police. The Listing Officer at the Court is the person who allocates where cases go. And they are employed by HMCTS. Who are.......... completely separate from the CPS and the Police.

Once an initial hearing takes place, a judge can do whats called "reserve" the case to themselves. That actually works better as it speeds things up and they have already read the bundle. Whereas if it goes back into the "whoever has 10 minutes" then the new judge has to read the paperwork.

Reactions: 26
In my experience, the CPS work very closely with the police and they do in fact have a lot of control over which judge presided over a case. You lot can talk about how they’re not meant to and that the UK is not like the US and blah blah blah, but in MY EXPERIENCE they were able to delay a case being brought to court because they were waiting for a particular judge that they had chosen to sit over it.

• Wow
Reactions: 4
In my experience, the CPS work very closely with the police and they do in fact have a lot of control over which judge presided over a case. You lot can talk about how they’re not meant to and that the UK is not like the US and blah blah blah, but in MY EXPERIENCE they were able to delay a case being brought to court because they were waiting for a particular judge that they had chosen to sit over it.
Ok. Was it for something "low level" or was it something that would require specific sentencing powers; so something that would be a potential life sentence? Complex fraud/sexual offence where the judge has insight from their time as a barrister?

The CPS work with the Police because they are the prosecuting authority. Police gather evidence. CPS Direct (normally over the phone) or in more complex cases an actual Crown Prosecutor authorises the charge based on the evidence presented by the police. At the point of charging the Custody Sgt will either bail to court (from the computer in front of him) or remand to the next duty court in magistrates.

In the UK most offences are dealt with by magistrates. 3 normal people who freely give of their free time to sit in court. There are classes of offences which have to be kicked up to Crown Court, but the majority (even what are called "either way") can be dealt with in the magistrates court within their sentencing powers.

Only serious stuff, or where the magistrates think the potential custodial sentence is outside their powers, will it be sent to the crown court. At THAT point (i.e where the Chair of the Bench) says that between the 3 of them they think it need to be committed to the Crown Court, the Clerk of the Court will find the first available date in the system for whats called a PTPH Hearing. That will be before whichever judge has space in the diary. The defendant is then bailed to appear on that date/remanded to prison until that date.

On appearance in the Crown Court the indictment will be read and a plea will be entered. NG? A trial date will be set, again by the clerk of the court. Not the judge. G? Sentencing hearing will be set, again by the clerk. Not the police (who are only R's witnesses at this point) or the CPS Barrister. It might be reserved to that specific judge or it might just go into the "when someone has space".

I would be very interested to know how in your experience the Police managed to delay a hearing for a specific judge. Judges get wrapped up in trials. Judges go on holiday. Judges in some cases, die. Because unless that judge was needed for specific knowledge or sentencing powers it would be a fairly futile exercise to pick one. The sentencing guidelines the judges use are the same. They don't pluck stuff out of the air. And anyone that goes over and above end up with it being appealed and if there is a fault in the judges decision making, the sentence is reduced.

Without 🍉 I would be genuinely interested to know how in your experience the Police managed to influence the court to provide a specific judge and what benefit that would bring them based on the jury trial system and the well established sentencing framework they have to work within.

Edit: Before anyone demands im burned at the stake again, im genuinely interested. As this isn't my experience of the system as a professional adjacent

• Heart
Reactions: 27
The service will look after her. This is literally what they are trained for. And if you are ever concerned you can flag it.

Have you got visits and things sorted? There are people on here who can point you in the right direction if you haven't.

Don't hesitate to say something if you cant or don't know how to. There is no judgement here
---
I’m all good, hope you are too!!
hahaha works been a nightmare recently 😭😂😴
I do check in on this thread but as I’ve said before, I’m conscious commenting 😂
But I hope everyone’s okay ❤
I know that feeling. Seems to be the season for it at the moment!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I would have had a "duck them" attitude to people in prison once upon a time but I read a book last year called Breakfast at Bronzefield written by a former inmate and it was an eye opener about how the system sets people up to fail so they end up inside even if they don't really deserve it.

Obviously anyone violent or a risk to the public should be put away but I would like to see more community based programmes for people who have committed crimes with prison as a last resort. I work in a social care sector where a good few of my clients have been in prison themselves and I think if there had been some other option they would be in a better place now.

Much love to all those with loved ones serving sentences, it can't be easy and hope you are all managing as well as can be expected.
So so SO many people in prison have serious mental illnesses and personality disorders. It not an excuse, but it’s sad to see. No programmes or help of any kind that I saw in there. (It was during Covid for me, so perhaps that had an influence on what was available). I have borderline personality disorder and am autistic (also depression, anxiety, PTSD)

• Heart
Reactions: 3