Pregnancy #55

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’d take TikTok and IG that aren’t pure fact/education with a pinch of salt as I see a lot of terrible advice or ‘must haves’ that are just a flex. Some “how I got my 3 week old to sleep through” from FTMs who’re 2 months in type stuff and it’s like “luck Pal, pure luck, wait for regressions!”.
Particular caution to American videos that say don’t take this or that to hospital or these are your pain options, midwives take care of baby, you get to stay in this long etc as their system is totally different.
This is definitely important. Most of the ones I’ve watched for actual advice are proper coaches who also offer paid online classes but answer questions or do basic advice videos or people currently working as midwives within the nhs who explain birth choices, latch tips etc. Definitely don’t go by Mary who usually works in Maccies but had a baby 2 weeks ago and is telling you how essential it is to get a perfect prep machine, white noise machine, specific bottles and dummies, this that and the other you hadn’t even thought about buying before but work for her baby and to do xyz to get baby to sleep all night 🙈

Reactions: 2
Any recommendation on things I could use for a bad back? I’m in quite a bit of pain with it

This is definitely important. Most of the ones I’ve watched for actual advice are proper coaches who also offer paid online classes but answer questions or do basic advice videos or people currently working as midwives within the nhs who explain birth choices, latch tips etc. Definitely don’t go by Mary who usually works in Maccies but had a baby 2 weeks ago and is telling you how essential it is to get a perfect prep machine, white noise machine, specific bottles and dummies, this that and the other you hadn’t even thought about buying before but work for her baby and to do xyz to get baby to sleep all night 🙈
That reminds me, I saw an American midwife one earlier where I was like ‘Not relevant here…’ until she said about options for delivering the placenta. I don’t think that was ever discussed with me here. I guess maybe they could have at the point of birth but I ended up with a c-section so I don’t know. Interesting consideration though so it was worth watching.
The previous one had been about how an artipop £360 carrier was a ‘must buy’ second time mum item and how they ‘hadn’t bothered with sterilising the first time’ but the dishwasher cycle was too long and they were running it too many times a day so were getting a ‘must buy’ £300 baby brezza bottle washing machine 🙄

On another note, people who’ve developed stretch marks, when and where did they start and what did they look like at the start?

• Wow
Reactions: 1
That reminds me, I saw an American midwife one earlier where I was like ‘Not relevant here…’ until she said about options for delivering the placenta. I don’t think that was ever discussed with me here. I guess maybe they could have at the point of birth but I ended up with a c-section so I don’t know. Interesting consideration though so it was worth watching.
The previous one had been about how an artipop £360 carrier was a ‘must buy’ second time mum item and how they ‘hadn’t bothered with sterilising the first time’ but the dishwasher cycle was too long and they were running it too many times a day so were getting a ‘must buy’ £300 baby brezza bottle washing machine 🙄

On another note, people who’ve developed stretch marks, when and where did they start and what did they look like at the start?
What were the options for delivering placenta? I have options to consider in the birth plan part of my online notes but it’s only things like do I want the injection to help deliver it etc. I’m supposed to be having a planned section so I haven’t read too much about it but baby has massively dropped so I’m starting to think a bit more about what I’ll want if we don’t make it to the section 😩

I’ve seen loads of people recommending those artipop carriers and saying how essential they are. I definitely will not be investing 😂 what if baby hates it and then you’re hundreds of pounds down?
---
Any recommendation on things I could use for a bad back? I’m in quite a bit of pain with it
I’m not really sure but didn’t want to ignore. You can obviously take paracetamol. And you can use a hot water bottle as long as it’s not too hot. Your GP can prescribe stronger meds that are safe in pregnancy

Just jumping on to say, one of my friends has the artipoppe, I got the bizzi growing carrier, they are almost identical! The bizzi growing cost me I think £72 there are a few other dupes around too I think!

Reactions: 4
What were the options for delivering placenta? I have options to consider in the birth plan part of my online notes but it’s only things like do I want the injection to help deliver it etc. I’m supposed to be having a planned section so I haven’t read too much about it but baby has massively dropped so I’m starting to think a bit more about what I’ll want if we don’t make it to the section 😩
Wait and have it come naturally or have an injection to get it out. It sounds like the injection is less risky for Mum & much quicker but there are some benefits to baby with waiting and keeping them attached.
Seems the injection is recommended though, for safety.

I’d want delayed cord clamping, but personally, I’m risk adverse, I’d pick the injection.

My birth plan was really just, “Epidural, no pethidine. Medical terms, safest options & interventions. Delayed clamping, Vitamin K, skin to skin”. I was fixated on baby getting here safely and thought that meant no nonsense, trust the doctors - lighting and music etc was silly. The midwife had to convince me to have fake tea lights and colour change lamps - I didn’t really catch on about encouraging oxytocin and birth hormones naturally. I under estimated the importance of it and would still want medical led but be more open to that too this time.

These explain the placenta delivery -

• Heart
Yeah that’s the 2 options given on the birth preferences questionnaire on my online notes when I’ve just logged in to check - injection or no injection. Like you I’m keen on delayed cord clamping for babies benefit but also don’t like taking risks so if the injection was the safest option I’d probably go for that. But I really do want to do delayed cord clamping as it seems to have so many benefits.
My current birth plan (if we don’t make csection date) is very much like yours. Just get baby here safely. I haven’t even thought about anything else like tea lights and a playlist because I’m desperately hoping to avoid labour and a vaginal birth 🙈

Just jumping on to say, one of my friends has the artipoppe, I got the bizzi growing carrier, they are almost identical! The bizzi growing cost me I think £72 there are a few other dupes around too I think!
They look good! Are they comfy to wear and kind on your back etc? I’ve only ever carried my friends baby in her carrier and it’s got so many straps and bits to pull tight it felt really claustrophobic 🙈

I had an injection to deliver my placenta, which after giving birth was painless lol, but it didn’t work. Meant the midwife basically had to tug it out of me which was the strangest sensation. Like a super jumbo tampon almost.

• Wow
Yeah that’s the 2 options given on the birth preferences questionnaire on my online notes when I’ve just logged in to check - injection or no injection. Like you I’m keen on delayed cord clamping for babies benefit but also don’t like taking risks so if the injection was the safest option I’d probably go for that. But I really do want to do delayed cord clamping as it seems to have so many benefits.
My current birth plan (if we don’t make csection date) is very much like yours. Just get baby here safely. I haven’t even thought about anything else like tea lights and a playlist because I’m desperately hoping to avoid labour and a vaginal birth 🙈

They look good! Are they comfy to wear and kind on your back etc? I’ve only ever carried my friends baby in her carrier and it’s got so many straps and bits to pull tight it felt really claustrophobic 🙈
Yes so comfy! And easy to put on
Before I was using a cheap Nuby carrier and that would really pull on my back and baby fudge was only tiny then! This bizzi growing one is so comfy I could wear him all day and he’s heavy now😆

• Heart
Are the early gender scans accurate? I really want one but my partner keeps saying no cause he’s worried it will be wrong! I have a few weeks to try and convince him, I’m too impatient to wait until the 20 week scan!

Are the early gender scans accurate? I really want one but my partner keeps saying no cause he’s worried it will be wrong! I have a few weeks to try and convince him, I’m too impatient to wait until the 20 week scan!
I mean there is a chance they could be wrong but more often than not they are right - I had an early gender scan and they said girl and it was confirmed girl at 20 weeks!

Reactions: 5
I think there’s always a chance they can be wrong and it depends on factors like how easy baby is making it for them to see with their position etc. I had one at 16 weeks then had an emergency scan this weekend where they asked me if I knew and confirmed it. The situations where they’re wrong I would say are in the absolute minority

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Wait and have it come naturally or have an injection to get it out. It sounds like the injection is less risky for Mum & much quicker but there are some benefits to baby with waiting and keeping them attached.
Seems the injection is recommended though, for safety.

I’d want delayed cord clamping, but personally, I’m risk adverse, I’d pick the injection.

My birth plan was really just, “Epidural, no pethidine. Medical terms, safest options & interventions. Delayed clamping, Vitamin K, skin to skin”. I was fixated on baby getting here safely and thought that meant no nonsense, trust the doctors - lighting and music etc was silly. The midwife had to convince me to have fake tea lights and colour change lamps - I didn’t really catch on about encouraging oxytocin and birth hormones naturally. I under estimated the importance of it and would still want medical led but be more open to that too this time.

These explain the placenta delivery -

You can do delayed cord clamping then have the injection. It’s what I did. So the baby remained attached for about 5/10 mins (hazy with the timings now). Husband then cut the cord then I had the injection for placenta to come. It’s not either or.

Reputable places and even the NHS won’t guarantee 100% accuracy because they *could* be wrong, but I don’t think it’s super common. At my 20w scan I said I already know but I want you to double check and the sonographer said in her experience of early scans being incorrect, it’s when they’ve said girl and it’s turned out to be a boy.

Just tell him it’s an opportunity to see baby again without having to wait as long, that was the main benefit for me!

• Heart
Mine started around 30 weeks I think, really low down around my knicker line, I couldn’t even seen them at first but they’ve sort of spread upwards from there.

My brothers sister had an early gender scan. Was confirmed she was having another girl. Confirmed again at 20 week scan. Again at a 4D scan she had. She went for a final 4D scan 3 weeks before she gave birth only to discover 'she' was infact a boy lol.

• Wow
Reactions: 9
From 16w they’re fine. Before that, no don’t bother

What does everyone use for a hospital bag? I’m thinking of getting one of those small cabin cases but my bf reckons we should just get a hold-all. Also any tips Of things to put in there which you found really useful but aren’t typically on all the lists online?

What does everyone use for a hospital bag? I’m thinking of getting one of those small cabin cases but my bf reckons we should just get a hold-all. Also any tips Of things to put in there which you found really useful but aren’t typically on all the lists online?
I used a cabin case for me and a nappy bag for the baby. My hospital there’s a long walk to maternity so didn’t want to be carrying a hold all.

• Heart
I used a cabin case and our nappy/pram bag for my first and will be doing the same this time round

DA1B6B78-65B4-4D07-B285-D16B9F911A6E.png

14AC705B-65FB-4404-901D-56F47B82A1FB.png

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.