Pregnancy #55

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Do you guys think it’s best I just stop doing pregnancy tests? I’m 6 weeks nearly 7. As some of you have said it’s not an indication on how well it’s going if you get me
I would say so. As other's have mentioned there is the hook effect where your HCG levels become too high for the test to recognise so it can give you a faint line or negative, which could just induce more anxiety. It's really no indication of how well it's going. I say that as someone who took over 30 tests when I first found out, every day I was doing them. It wasn't until I saw the heartbeat at my early reassurance scan I truly believed I was actually pregnant!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Crazy isn’t it, read so much on it for the past couple weeks and I can’t get over how common it seems to be. For the past 3 weeks, I’ve had movement which is identical to fetal movement (2 kids so I recognise it). I’ve had phantom kicks before but this is much stronger and literally all day every day. I’ve finally got a GP app tomorrow morning but I had to convince them and I heard the receptions take the piss out of me on the phone over this. I feel like I’m going mad but the movement is prominent at this point. I’ve had 3 negatives but I’ve read about the hook effect which is where you test negative if you test later on due to having such high hcg levels. I’ve also had odd periods these past 3/4 months and spotting in between them so there’s a chance they’re not actual periods. Whole thing’s driving me mad and I feel so embarrassed even getting medical help, I just know I’ll get belittled in tomorrow’s app either way.
Please complain about the receptionists. That’s unacceptable behaviour and if it’s not pregnancy related it could potentially be something serious but you’re obviously right to rule out pregnancy first. Hope your appt goes ok tomorrow 🤞🏼

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I’ve stopped testing now but I’m 9 weeks and had two scans. I stopped last week. I don’t think there’s that much harm in it as I found it brought immense mental calm and meant I could actually get on with my day. I’m sure others would disagree but it’s the only thing you can do to calm your mind at home..
I would say so. As other's have mentioned there is the hook effect where your HCG levels become too high for the test to recognise so it can give you a faint line or negative, which could just induce more anxiety. It's really no indication of how well it's going. I say that as someone who took over 30 tests when I first found out, every day I was doing them. It wasn't until I saw the heartbeat at my early reassurance scan I truly believed I was actually pregnant!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Had a sweep yesterday and mucus plug has come away, praying it’s a sign of things starting to happen but trying not to get my hopes up.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Do you guys think it’s best I just stop doing pregnancy tests? I’m 6 weeks nearly 7. As some of you have said it’s not an indication on how well it’s going if you get me
I would say so yeah, the colour of a test can change due to so many reasons - it can cause so much unnecessary stress. Also symptoms really can fluctuate. As someone that’s had multiple miscarriages I’ve experienced the constant testing but I also managed to stop myself and the anxiety does ease

• Heart
I’ve stopped testing now but I’m 9 weeks and had two scans. I stopped last week. I don’t think there’s that much harm in it as I found it brought immense mental calm and meant I could actually get on with my day. I’m sure others would disagree but it’s the only thing you can do to calm your mind at home..
I’ve posted quite a lot about it so I won’t repeat but I tested loads too. Even though I knew deep down it actually told me nothing about how things were progressing, seeing those 2 lines every day (several times a day 😅) gave me some kind of reassurance and peace of mind. It was only after a scan at 10 weeks I stopped testing daily.

Did a test 2 weeks ago even tho I’m 32 weeks now 🤣 but that was because I put ketchup with my pizza (unheard of in our house!) and Mr R was jokingly like that’s really weird are you pregnant or something?! So I did a test to ‘rule it out’. It showed up as a very strong positive which surprised me cus of the hook effect.

I would say there’s no harm in testing regularly at home if that gives you some comfort. It definitely helped me. But it is difficult if it suddenly shows negative or faint but it can be down to so many different things like urine concentration, time of day etc. I don’t know what I’d have done if mine had showed up faint or negative. Probably booked another scan 🫣
---
Had a sweep yesterday and mucus plug has come away, praying it’s a sign of things starting to happen but trying not to get my hopes up.
Good luck!! Keeping everything crossed for you 🤞🏼

• Heart
I’ve posted quite a lot about it so I won’t repeat but I tested loads too. Even though I knew deep down it actually told me nothing about how things were progressing, seeing those 2 lines every day (several times a day 😅) gave me some kind of reassurance and peace of mind. It was only after a scan at 10 weeks I stopped testing daily.

Did a test 2 weeks ago even tho I’m 32 weeks now 🤣 but that was because I put ketchup with my pizza (unheard of in our house!) and Mr R was jokingly like that’s really weird are you pregnant or something?! So I did a test to ‘rule it out’. It showed up as a very strong positive which surprised me cus of the hook effect.

I would say there’s no harm in testing regularly at home if that gives you some comfort. It definitely helped me. But it is difficult if it suddenly shows negative or faint but it can be down to so many different things like urine concentration, time of day etc. I don’t know what I’d have done if mine had showed up faint or negative. Probably booked another scan 🫣
---

Good luck!! Keeping everything crossed for you 🤞🏼
That’s the thing, it depends what the test says whether it’s a good or a bad thing. But if I could have had any sort of heads up before I went to my 8 week scan and found out MMC i would have been 100% less traumatised

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I would. I was going through a loss and the tests still got darker, weeks went up on digitals, it gave false hope. Equally if the lines get lighter that can cause worry or even stop you seeking help you'd otherwise look for. They literally can't tell you anything.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Thank you guys you’ve been so helpful and I appreciate it all so much you have no idea! I haven’t heard back from my midwife yet but I hope she get back to me soon xx

• Heart
Has anyone else been told by their midwife team to buy a blood pressure machine and measure and record their own blood pressure every other day?!
No but I did but one the other day was every time I see the consultant in the hospital I get a really high reading but never in the GP (high side of normal) so I got one for home to try and get an average as was afraid they might try to admit me or suggest bed rest etc. got a normal reading at the consultant yesterday so delighted with that..
---
I have waited until the 12 week scan (which is next week 😬), it’s killed me waiting this long though! I haven’t had any worries but if I did I would have booked one straight away.
I went to my early scan at 6 weeks on my own, my partner works away so it’s not feasible for him to be around at short notice. I would rather have gone alone than delay the scan.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
38 weeks and I’m starving all of the time 🙈 I felt so ill over the weekend I barely ate a thing, and now I can’t stop eating.

• Heart
38 weeks and I’m starving all of the time 🙈 I felt so ill over the weekend I barely ate a thing, and now I can’t stop eating.
14 weeks and this is me. I've normally got such a small appetite but I'm at the 'eat everything in sight and still want more' stage. I ate 3 breakfasts at my desk earlier, I think my boss is scared of me now 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Omg I was just coming here to say the same thing! 16 weeks and I’m constantly starving but don’t know what to eat! Also, doesn’t help that we have no food in the house, I’m scared to do a shop incase I empty the place 😂

• Haha
How was it? I’ve just been offered one at my 39 week appointment next week. Heard they can be uncomfortable.
It was pretty uncomfortable to be honest but nothing compared to what labour is so I thought I might as well give it a go see if it gets things moving. I think half the uncomfortableness comes from it just being an awkward procedure and your body being tense 🤣

I think I've hit a wall today, my 2 year old was off his head for about 3 hours. Think I'm going to sleep for a year after it. Dunno how I plan on coping woth a newborn and a wild child haha

• Heart
Reactions: 7
We just had a reassurance appointment with the midwife as I've been a bit anxious over a few things and got the hear the heartbeat for the first time 🥰🥰 We've only been able to see it so far on scans so it was lovely to be able to hear it. She let my partner record it too so I can listen to it later on which was nice, she said they're not really supposed to but I don't understand why.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
We just had a reassurance appointment with the midwife as I've been a bit anxious over a few things and got the hear the heartbeat for the first time 🥰🥰 We've only been able to see it so far on scans so it was lovely to be able to hear it. She let my partner record it too so I can listen to it later on which was nice, she said they're not really supposed to but I don't understand why.
I don’t really know why either! We got a pink teddy bear with her heartbeat in from a private place which was nice, I can’t actually remember hearing her heartbeat with the midwife though other than on their doppler thing!

• Heart
I'm nearly 34 weeks now and the movements are getting so strong, I'm scared for the next few weeks, honestly feel like she's trying to escape 🤣 She's head down, not sure if it's her size that causing me to feel like I have an obstruction in my rib when I sit up straight, or if its a foot!! Roll on maternity leave in 3 weeks so I can just bounce on my ball all day

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.