Pregnancy #55

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Used the snuzpod4 with my first and reusing for my second, it’s fab but if I was re buying I’d go for the maxi cosi iora as it looks nicer and I’m less to believe it’s bigger!
---
Looking likely I’ll be having a section next week - decision to be made on Friday. Any tips?😬 feel so nervous about it with a toddler at home already.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I’ve breastfed for over 3 and a half years now and I can honestly say that I NEVER in a million years thought I’d make it this far. I think knowledge is power and there are loads of helpful techniques and resources online. I felt pretty prepared before having my first in terms of my breastfeeding research, but it’s a completely different ball game once you have a tiny baby in front of you.

I didn’t have access to support groups or help as we were in the first lockdown, however The Breastfeeding Network has a really helpful helpline ( you can also chat on Instagram etc!) and they have
free volunteer run support groups and can help you with any breastfeeding support you may need whether it’s latching, combi feeding, weaning etc. There are about 5 local to me, so it’s worth checking their website as they have loads across the country.

Make sure babies mouth is WIDE open. Chin is touching your breast and their nose is away from it. Get yourself super comfortable with as many pillows as you need before. Bring baby to you rather than breast to baby (your back will thank you for it!)

Being completely (and maybe a little too) honest, the first 4 months of breastfeeding for me were horrific. I cried every day. I was in pain. I had no support. I refused to give up. In hindsight, it was so SO stupid of me. I’m really proud to have breastfed for so long, but I wish I could go back and tell myself it’s okay to stop and the only person pressuring me to continue was ME.

This time I hope to breastfeed the twins for the first couple of days whilst they’re tiny, then I intend to express what I can and bottle feed indefinitely/eventually move to formula. I have no desire to exclusively breastfed or pump this time around.

I think it’s important to remember that (as long as your baby is putting weight on AND nappy output is good) your body is able to figure out exactly what they need. And part of getting to that stage is cluster feeding. It’s exhausting, but it doesn’t last forever. It’s completely normal and absolutely essential in having a “successful” breastfeeding journey.

Most of all, remember to put your sanity and mental health first. You cannot look after your baby if you are not looking after yourself. There is absolutely nothing wrong with deciding it isn’t for you and formula feeding or combi feeding.

also these are absolutely ESSENTIAL to promote healing. I don’t think my nipples would’ve survived without them.

Rite Aid Hydrogel Gel Breast Discs (x12) - Helps Heal Cracked Sore Nipples in Breastfeeding
https://amzn.eu/d/04KQIgX

(Sorry for the me-rail but hopefully there is some helpful advice for some of you!) ❤

I found it easier to do after a warm bath, or placing a warm flannel on my breast. And slowly working from my armpit down to my nipple, firmly.
I couldn’t collect it in the syringe though, so I would collect it in a sterile pot or spoon and then use the syringe to suck it up so it was a little less fiddly!
I have a vivid memory of being on the postnatal ward less than 24 hours after my first being born and the HCA sat on the bed with me sucking up tiny drops of colostrum directly from my nipple with a syringe 🤣 it was so so bizarre! I agree- armpit to nipple and squeezing directly around the nipple in every direction rather than keeping in one spot.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
I’ve breastfed for over 3 and a half years now and I can’t honestly say that I NEVER in a million years thought I’d make it this far. I think knowledge is power and there are loads of helpful techniques and resources online. I felt pretty prepared before having my first in terms of my breastfeeding research, but it’s a completely different ball game once you have a tiny baby in front of you.

I didn’t have access to support groups or help as we were in the first lockdown, however The Breastfeeding Network has a really helpful helpline ( you can also chat on Instagram etc!) and they have
free volunteer run support groups and can help you with any breastfeeding support you may need whether it’s latching, combi feeding, weaning etc. There are about 5 local to me, so it’s worth checking their website as they have loads across the country.

Make sure babies mouth is WIDE open. Chin is touching your breast and their nose is away from it. Get yourself super comfortable with as many pillows as you need before. Bring baby to you rather than breast to baby (your back will thank you for it!)

Being completely (and maybe a little too) honest, the first 4 months of breastfeeding for me were horrific. I cried every day. I was in pain. I had no support. I refused to give up. In hindsight, it was so SO stupid of me. I’m really proud to have breastfed for so long, but I wish I could go back and tell myself it’s okay to stop and the only person pressuring me to continue was ME.

This time I hope to breastfeed the twins for the first couple of days whilst they’re tiny, then I intend to express what I can and bottle feed indefinitely/eventually move to formula. I have no desire to exclusively breastfed or pump this time around.

I think it’s important to remember that (as long as your baby is putting weight on AND nappy output is good) your body is able to figure out exactly what they need. And part of getting to that stage is cluster feeding. It’s exhausting, but it doesn’t last forever. It’s completely normal and absolutely essential in having a “successful” breastfeeding journey.

Most of all, remember to put your sanity and mental health first. You cannot look after your baby if you are not looking after yourself. There is absolutely nothing wrong with deciding it isn’t for you and formula feeding or combi feeding.

also these are absolutely ESSENTIAL to promote healing. I don’t think my nipples would’ve survived without them.

Rite Aid Hydrogel Gel Breast Discs (x12) - Helps Heal Cracked Sore Nipples in Breastfeeding
https://amzn.eu/d/04KQIgX

(Sorry for the me-rail but hopefully there is some helpful advice for some of you!) ❤

I have a vivid memory of being on the postnatal ward less than 24 hours after my first being born and the HCA sat on the bed with me sucking up tiny drops of colostrum directly from my nipple with a syringe 🤣 it was so so bizarre! I agree- armpit to nipple and squeezing directly around the nipple in every direction rather than keeping in one spot.
😂😂😂 I had 2 midwives milking me after my C-section with the twins. Was not how I expected my first day as a twin mama to be 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I’m due at the end of May so it’ll be slightly warmer, my mind has gone blank, what tog sleeping bag should I go for?!

Which next to me crib do people recommend? I thought we’d chosen the one we wanted but now I’m not so sure after seeing a couple of reviews. There’s so many options! And so many with good reviews I just don’t know what to go for!
We’ve got the Snüzpod too! Still a few weeks out from Baby Parsley arriving so don’t have his thoughts yet but reviews online are good and my husband was able to put it up in one afternoon.

Reactions: 1
Which next to me crib do people recommend? I thought we’d chosen the one we wanted but now I’m not so sure after seeing a couple of reviews. There’s so many options! And so many with good reviews I just don’t know what to go for!
I was recommended the Babylo cozi sleeper by the lovely @I’mThankyou_ and it was fab, my little girl fit in it for ages as well
---
I’m due at the end of May so it’ll be slightly warmer, my mind has gone blank, what tog sleeping bag should I go for?!
I was also due end of May and although we spent a few weeks in hospital when we got home it was so warm we didn’t actually need to use any sleep bag for a while 😂 then we had that 40 degree heatwave so was sleeping in just a nappy. But then from maybe the September onwards we just used a 1 tog sleep bag (our house is really warm though)

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
Got the Tutti Bambini CoZee as you can position own side higher than the other if has acid reflux and all that and has storage space underneath

• Heart
We've got a Snuzpod. Got it for my first and whipped it back out for the new wee one 😊

• Heart
I had the Chicco next2me magic. Baby loved it. I thought it had been sold and was eyeing up the forever version to make for easier cot transition or the snuzz pod but turns out it's available to borrow again so will save the money and do that.

Agree with @aggytha re BF and Mum's happiness and MH. I should have accepted earlier that BF wasn't going well and taken the pressure off myself more but it just became such a personal battle and affected my enjoyment and MH as a new mum. It did turn out brilliantly, amazing being able to go out or on holiday and not worry about any feeding methods, sterilisation etc, but I couldn't confidently say it was 100% worth the heartache,. Plus, no one can help you if you do have a bottle refuser and that's a lot of pressure.

• Heart
I had some salami the other day. Just REALLY wanted some :( and my god it was good. Way better than sex. Although that’s not hard, nor wanted that since before Christmas 😂

• Haha
Been getting cramps along the bottom of my bump, kind of like period cramps, since about 5pm. I don't think they're contractions, I don't remember them being like this last time. They aren't regularly timed or anything either. Is wee one teasing me again? No mucus plug or waters yet ☹

• Heart
I had some salami the other day. Just REALLY wanted some :( and my god it was good. Way better than sex. Although that’s not hard, nor wanted that since before Christmas 😂
CONFESSION - I’ve been eating smoked salmon for months

It was deemed “ok” by the NHS during my first pregnancy, and i just couldn’t resist it this time. I did for the first 4/5 months, and then it crept back in.

Forgive me NHS I have sinned

• Haha
Been getting cramps along the bottom of my bump, kind of like period cramps, since about 5pm. I don't think they're contractions, I don't remember them being like this last time. They aren't regularly timed or anything either. Is wee one teasing me again? No mucus plug or waters yet ☹
Period like cramps or backache can be a sign of your cervix dilating!

I know those last few weeks or being overdue is so tough but just try and remind yourself that you might not know it right now, but your body is getting ready to meet your baby ❤

• Heart
So exciting - it definitely sounds like everything is moving in the right direction. You might not lose the plug or have the waters break. Hope you have some sleep tonight, and then lots of action tomorrow 🙏🏼

• Heart
Reactions: 4
CONFESSION - I’ve been eating smoked salmon for months

It was deemed “ok” by the NHS during my first pregnancy, and i just couldn’t resist it this time. I did for the first 4/5 months, and then it crept back in.

Forgive me NHS I have sinned
As I typed that, I was eating more 😂 just a few of those thin slices. Forgive me too

I’ve also had a total of 4 Redbulls now :( one was at an event, three were at home. It’s actually really annoying because now typing that I’m like WHY DO IT but considering I used to have 1-2 a day? It’s ok.

Last edited:
My contractions didn’t start for a few hours after my waters broke, and period cramps were my first ‘sign’ of contractions. They slowly built up and before I knew it they were full on contractions. Try a few squats then try and relax if you can 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 2
@aggytha @eppingforestbambi @Hinchhater1442 I really hope this is the start. I know I'm only a week overdue but I'm fed up of being pregnant, it feels like I've been pregnant for 300 years, I want my body back! I would also quite like my in laws gone and my house back 😂 Really keen to avoid my induction on Friday! My little one said baby would come today, might be a midnight dash to the hospital! 🤞

• Heart
Reactions: 9
It’s sounds so stupid but I’m not sure what this means exactly, Am I 3 weeks+ pregnant? This is all new to me thanks for help everyone xx
IMG_6796.jpeg

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.