Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

givemethegossx

Just had a call from the hospital saying the screen test for Down syndrome has come back as a 1/24 chance and I’ve just completely broken down, going for a blood test tomorrow to find out if it’s a high or low chance, anyone been through this?

• Heart
Reactions: 8

Hashtagnotspon

Chatty Member
Had a private scan today at 9 weeks. Turns out I'm measuring 7+5. So I've regained some weeks of worry it seems!

Strong heartbeat though which is such a relief.

🤞 all remains well!

• Heart

Lucyxxxx

VIP Member
Well looks like she’s coming in the next 24 hours or so. Waters having broken. Been to maternity triage and checked. Low risk, baby fine so sent home to go into labour naturally or if not back at 10pm tonight for induction. I think I will go naturally though as getting pains already. Going to try and get some sleep 😂 and then hopefully have time to wash my hair in the later morning etc before needing to go back in.
Awww good luck! ❤

Also I have had early scans with my pregnancies at 6 weeks and dunno if it's cause my wombs tilted but heartbeats always been picked up.

Also I am FEWMING. Was putting my outfit on today baring in mind I'm only 8 weeks tomorrow right. My ogre of a fella comes in like awwww shall we start looking at maternity clothes. I was like wtf r u implying? He was like nothing it just goes fast don't it. I am gaining weight by the hr and I've always had issues with my eating and my weight and this is triggering it. Like obviously I'm not gonna start starving myself or anything and as long as baby is OK is the most important thing but I can't help feel shit and fat.

• Heart
  • Sad
  • Wow

cmcdb

Chatty Member
baby frog has arrived, he’s perfect 🥰🥰 so in love, but struggling a bit to breastfeed which is getting me down
Do not let anyone pressure you into it!! I’m 4 weeks pp now and it lasted 5 days with me. FED is best, wether it’s breast or bottle as long as little one isn’t going hungry who’s business is it wether it’s breast or bottle. People are very quick to forget that we also have to look after ourselves when baby arrives.
Hope you’re alright, be good to yourself ❤

• Heart

Yo-kruss

Hi all! Hope everything is going well. I'm normally a lurker on here but could do with some advice.

Bit of a long one.. I had a pretty horrific day, have had some light bleeding for a couple of days (17 weeks pegnant) so was told to head into hospital today to get checked. Saw the midwife first who was fab and heard the heartbeat and she said everything was grand.

I was then sent to a Dr for a speculum to check where the bleeding was coming from. After the examination she sat me down and told me my cervix was open and I was definitely having a miscarriage. She ran through the possibilities of how the miscarriage may go and said I may have to stay in hospital and may need surgery. Told me to get my husband to come to the hospital with an overnight bag. Obviously I was devastated and a bit of a mess.

I was then was seen by a registrar who did another examination and she said I could be having a miscarriage but she thinks that there is a polyp at the cervix and that is the more likely cause. I then was sent ultrasound and baby was absolutely fine and the cervix was closed and defo not having a miscarriage. It turns out the first Dr was a GP trainee on rotation.

I'm over the moon baby is doing well but I have been left feeling pretty traumatised, terrified and have been in tears since even though i know baby is ok. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and had any advice. I am debating changing the hospital as I feel like I can't trust them now. The registrar and midwife were fantastic, it was just the experience with the GP trainee that was horrific.

• Sad
  • Wow

User767676

I have to say the environment at Window to the womb was very in your face. All gender reveal cannons, photo frames and bears to put the heat beat in. Blaring music too. I can’t imagine walking out of there with bad news. If I have more private scans, I’ll go somewhere more “medical”.
I agree that I would have wanted to be somewhere more medical if it was bad news.

However, I found waiting at the EPU was horrible. The receptionists were on the phone to someone having a miscarriage and I was in a room with folders on miscarriage, ectopic etc. I also think the people before me may have had bad news, coupled with the fact I was there for a reason I felt really anxious. My private scan felt a lot more relaxing for that reason and luckily everything has been fine so far.

I think there’s this massive thing with “influencers” at the moment with the whole come along with me to my x week scan as if it’s fun time to meet the baby rather than a medical check. I had my 12 week scan yesterday and was still super nervous having already had 2 scans - luckily all looks fine and just waiting for the results of my screening.

• Heart
Reactions: 7

Justwatchin...

12 week scan done and baby was great. I've never been so stressed but I'll sleep well tonight.
Baby was flipping around all over the place, it was amazing to see them drinking and swallowing with their tongue moving around!

It also confirmed that my dates were right and the midwife was wrong, I'm actually 13 and 5 today not 12 and 6!

• Heart

Crb250

Would you say 6 weeks (if going by date of last period) is too soon to be booking an early scan? I am getting more and more anxious by the day so I was looking at the possibility of booking one for this weekend at 6 weeks. I'll be just short of 5 weeks if going by the date we dtd.
I wouldn't book a scan any earlier than 7 weeks personally, before then there's a chance they may not see a heartbeat yet as it's too early, especially if you ovulated earlier than you think. I have two friends that went for early scans at 6 weeks exactly, one was measuring 6 weeks and no heartbeat yet and the other one was measuring 5 weeks 5 days and they said it was too early to see a heartbeat. So they both had to go back in 2 weeks time for a re-scan which was a really anxious wait for them both not knowing if baby was ok. I understand being anxious to see baby, I had a loss in May so was really really anxious in the first trimester this pregnancy but I purposely waited until 7 weeks for our scan as I knew I'd be so panicked if we went any earlier and they couldn't see anything. At 7 weeks we saw a nice heartbeat and everything was fine

• Heart

watermelon sugar

VIP Member
Miscarriage trigger

Random cramps / stomach pains anyone? I had some last night. Probs for around half an hour. They were sharp ones, nothing toilet related. Started to worry tbh because they were my second symptom after the bleeding before I miscarried in Nov. I’m not bleeding though and it went away. I did ring the gynaecology ward I went to last time but they just said if I’m not bleeding it’s probs something else which made me feel no better. I’m just such a worrier this time around
I had all sorts of aches and pains and cramps during my first trimester, still do in my second. I can understand you being a nervous wreck cos I was the same as I’ve experienced miscarriages in the past too, the worry never goes away, but unless there’s blood too it’s very normal to have cramps and pains during pregnancy. Period pain like cramps are quite normal. Try and relax and if there’s any blood ring your EPU straight away x

• Heart

raspberryjuice

VIP Member
Just reiterating what others have said about window to the womb. We were really anxious when we went there but it was all sell, sell, sell. Trying to push extra scans for gender reveals, photo shoots of newborns etc which I get is big business for them but it was so in your face. They made us stand out on the street in the rain because someone was running late to open.
Then I had to have an internal scan and the person doing it didn’t speak English and didn’t explain what he was doing. The chaperone just told me to take off my leggings and pants and lay on the bed. They didn’t acknowledge my partner or direct him where to sit. The person doing the scan (I don’t want to call him a sonographer because I think he was just on his lunch break from subway tbh!) put the probe in me without explaining what he was doing at all, I just suddenly had a camera inside me! Luckily I’d had an internal scan years before for something else so I knew what to expect but it was very awkward to have this random man inserting the probe without explaining. He couldn’t explain what he was seeing, the chaperone had to explain. Then they took us out in to the open waiting room with other people around to discuss the scan and try to encourage us to book another with them. People could definitely hear what was being discussed in the scan room because someone who worked there congratulated us on the twins as we walked past and we had to explain it was my partners brother who was having twins, not us, and we’d only mentioned our relief at it being just one. I would definitely not go back and it’s definitely not somewhere I’d want to receive bad news.

Ultrasound direct are completely different. The desk to check in is away from the waiting room, you’re given a form to fill in rather than being asked questions infront of everyone. They do have extras for sale like heartbeat bears, key rings, gender reveal cannons etc but they don’t push it at all. At our clinic there’s just a laminated sign on the tables advertising what they sell but I’ve never been encouraged to buy anything. The waiting room is little tables and chairs so you can sit with your partner/family and chat with complimentary tea/coffee/cold drinks rather than sitting awkwardly with everyone else waiting surrounded by giant teddies and pictures of babies. The sonographers are actually qualified professionals and take time to explain everything and discuss it all and they’ve never tried to sell me anything more. And like I said earlier, the sonographer I’ve seen a few times actually called me from home to reassure me and offer to scan me. They include everyone in the room too, we went for one with grandparents and my sister and she spoke to them all. It’s a completely different experience and you feel like they genuinely care. And you get a link to your pics and videos so you can share them easily with family who are waiting to see rather than having to take a pic of them 😁

• Heart
Just had a call from the hospital saying the screen test for Down syndrome has come back as a 1/24 chance and I’ve just completely broken down, going for a blood test tomorrow to find out if it’s a high or low chance, anyone been through this?
Im still awaiting my results, but my sister in laws come back as very low risk and when baby was born he was Down Syndrome. Most amazing loving little boy. Hope you’re ok❤

• Heart

littlepup

VIP Member
Nearly 6 months and i have nothing bought....its all kicking in now

This is my first, could you please let me know what i need for a new born?

As in pram, moses basket etc, i ask my friends but i just get a million messages back of things they have and they can give me which of course is so helpful but what i really just need is a bullet point list so i myself can start checking things off! could you girls let me know what things are on your lists?

Thank you!!
Something to eat, somewhere to sleep, something to wear.

So, if you want to bottle feed you’ll need bottles, formula and a steriliser, a few soft bibs perhaps. If breast feeding, nipple cream, maybe breast pads though I personally never leaked so just one box for now. Muslins are handy to wipe faces, catch spit, burping etc.

For sleeping you’ll need a bed and somewhere for daytime naps as they shouldn’t be unsupervised. Under sheets, maybe a breathable waterproof mattress cover, if you’re using 2nd had cots and baskets you’ll want to buy new mattresses. Check lullaby trusts safe sleep guideline but I believe sleeping bags are considered safer than blankets. Nothing else at all should be in the sleep area but some people like to use a white noise machine at sleep times. You might want a monitor and dummies too. If you fancy a baby nest, look at overnight rated ones as many can’t be used unsupervised as they are not breathable.

To wear, outfits aren’t really practical in the first month so baby grows/vests and vests to go underneath, long or short sleeve depending on the weather. Zip baby grows are a God send, the ones that go over the head and button at the crotch only are sent from hell imo. I like ones with inbuilt scratch mitts and feet but you’ll probably want some socks too. A hat for leaving hospital too but not to be worn indoors. You don’t need shoes.

Beyond that…

They only need water to bathe at first but you might want a baby bath and definitely get a water thermometer. Hooded towels are handy too.

Nappies, wipes or cotton wool, a changing mat. Horrific for the environment but small disposable inco pads are good changing mats in the early days of milk nappies and wees on the mat. I personally also got waterproof mat liners that are like a towel with waterproof backing to use on the bed in the night. Setting them up in a caddy/portable basket is a good way to organise if you don’t have a change table.

You may need a car seat to leave the hospital even if you don’t have a car so check that and obviously some kind of pram.

You can buy nappy cream, baby wash, gripe water, bouncer/swing chair etc if and when you need it. And some black and white sensory card/books when they get a bit bigger too.

For Mum I recommend a massive drinks bottle, healthy snacks, maternity pads/disposable inco pants, a note book and pen to keep track of feeding at first.

That’s my personal thoughts for the first months.

• Heart

Jasminexx02

VIP Member
Out of hours GP was so lovely, didn’t seem concerned but understood that I’m anxious so referred me to EPU so can hopefully have a scan for reassurance tomorrow. Now a bit cautious about having scans so close together though if I have one tomorrow and then my private one on Monday, did anybody else have scans close together?

• Heart

freddofrog

still lurking here with my 3 week old in my arms - but i had an elective c section after going back and forth on it for a while. it was definitely the right choice for me, but it is annoying not being able to drive and being sore with a newborn!

• Heart

Laughalong

VIP Member
Had a miscarriage 28/11/23. Just got a positive today. Three actually. Shocked. Nervous but excited. Don’t really know what to say? We’ve had sex less than five times lol. I felt like I was for a while (I can just feel my body? My symptoms are really obvious… increased bladder / swollen boobs etc - I knew before I tested last time) I actually already thought I could be on NYE… but brushed it off as my periods must be coming back.

Anyone want to help me not freak out that I must of got pregnant literally two weeks after miscarrying at 7 weeks …

• Heart

Justwatchin...

Happy New year all!

My 12 week scan is literally this week. Such mixed emotions about it, I'm excited but so nervous and scared 😬

Sickness still hasn't eased, first thing I did in 2024 was vomit... 🙈

• Heart
Just had a lovely sob in the car, was driving back from the shop and on the radio was a song that was sang at my father's funeral many many years ago. I never ever listen to that radio station but it just turned on and couldn't help but sob to myself. Love the crazy hormones 😜

• Heart

Tazzie

Chatty Member
Had my NIPT scan and bloods today, scan was beautiful, baby is growing perfectly on track, heartbeat is stunning… just have to wait for the bloods now. They said I should have them back in 7 working days. Clinic was great, super medical and professional. Was reassuring that it’s in the same building as my consultants offices. They said I was the first person in today who didn’t want to know the gender.. 😁 more bloods tomorrow for the baby’s blood type then nothing until the 20th for a 16 week check up.. feel a lot less overwhelmed today x

• Heart
Reactions: 6