Pregnancy #47

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think I’ve lost some of my mucus plug yesterday and today (clear, no blood). I’m 38 weeks. Does it cause infection if I don’t go into labour after a certain amount of time? Or does it grow back again?

I think I’ve lost some of my mucus plug yesterday and today (clear, no blood). I’m 38 weeks. Does it cause infection if I don’t go into labour after a certain amount of time? Or does it grow back again?
It doesn't, no.
You can lose bits at any time and it regrows.
Losing your muscus plug before labour is usually what's classed as your "bloody show" as its usually tinged with blood/pink.

Reactions: 2
Your mucus plug will regrow, it’s only if your waters start to go that it can cause infection x

40+1 today, just had a midwife appointment and she said baby is 4/5 engaged and my cervix is softening 🎉 she tried to do a sweep but my cervix was too far back to complete it, but from what she could feel she said things are moving the right way and her trying to reach it might help bring on labour. Back to bouncing on the ball this afternoon to try to encourage baby out!

• Heart
Reactions: 11
After weeks of sickness and nausea, I just had a McDonald’s cheeseburger and honestly I think this is one of the greatest days of my life 😂

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 23
Hi folks, I'm mega scared of health care professionals so I was googling what happens at the first midwifes appointment and it mentioned that a some of the tests have to be done before 10 weeks, however at the time of my first midwifes appointment I'll be 11 weeks? I know it's only a weeks difference but I'm honestly such a panicker 😭 will they still be able to test for sickle cell/thelassawhateveritscalled?

After weeks of sickness and nausea, I just had a McDonald’s cheeseburger and honestly I think this is one of the greatest days of my life 😂
I remember this with my first pregnancy - I got a veggie whopper from Burger King and it was sensational

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Hi folks, I'm mega scared of health care professionals so I was googling what happens at the first midwifes appointment and it mentioned that a some of the tests have to be done before 10 weeks, however at the time of my first midwifes appointment I'll be 11 weeks? I know it's only a weeks difference but I'm honestly such a panicker 😭 will they still be able to test for sickle cell/thelassawhateveritscalled?
They can still test for sickle cell at any time. The reason they say before 10 weeks is so you can decide in time what to do about the pregnancy I believe.
(I'm not 100% sure)
I'm also not 100% sure if it's a routine thing done or if you have to ask for that specifically.

But everything else can be done at 11 weeks. My booking appointment with my first was 11 weeks and 10 weeks with the others

• Heart
They can still test for sickle cell at any time. The reason they say before 10 weeks is so you can decide in time what to do about the pregnancy I believe.
(I'm not 100% sure)
I'm also not 100% sure if it's a routine thing done or if you have to ask for that specifically.

But everything else can be done at 11 weeks. My booking appointment with my first was 11 weeks and 10 weeks with the others
Thank you! The NHS website said it'll be at 10 weeks and my anxiety took that tit and ran with it 😂 all logic out of the window.

• Heart
How do people feel and go about taking their partners, family or friends to ante-natal appointments? Does anyone go to some by themselves? I’m going to have a lot and obviously my partner will be there for the scans, but is there any point in him taking time out of work to sit with me having my bloods done or talking to my midwife / consultant?

How do people feel and go about taking their partners, family or friends to ante-natal appointments? Does anyone go to some by themselves? I’m going to have a lot and obviously my partner will be there for the scans, but is there any point in him taking time out of work to sit with me having my bloods done or talking to my midwife / consultant?
My partner has come to most of my consultant appointments and both scans but none of my midwife appointments.

Hello, fellow twin mama here.
I took my partner/mum to all my scans & consultant appts more for the long waits more than anything but I went to all my midwife ones alone 😊

• Heart
All of mine this time were still during Covid restrictions so I had to go by myself apart from the 12 week and 20 week scan.
I would say depending on the appointment would be whether I'd take someone with me or not.
As @I'mThankyou said, especially the waits.
My consultant appointments always ran late and I ended up sitting by myself for nearly 2 hours at one point 😑😂

Midwife ones however, I'd go by myself as they're literally over in 10 minutes max most of the time.
My midwife appointments this time, there was barely space for me and her in the room, nevermind anyone else, even if they were allowed. I used to have to stand in the corner of the room so she could close the door, let her sit down and then I could sit down or shs'd be climbing over my lap haha 😂

I always took someone with me to my consultant appointments. Sometimes after hours of sitting and waiting especially when I had HG, by the time I got in to see them I just felt awful, dizzy etc so it always helped the information going to another person as well. In terms of midwife appointments, he only came to one. A lot of the time they fell when he was working and with travel time it just felt like a waste of time.

I've been to all my midwife appointments alone as they didn't feel worth him taking time off for. He's been to most of the scans (I've had growth scans so have been seen regularly), and most of my consultant appointments have been via phone but he didn't come to the one that was in person, or to the diabetes test. It depends how you feel - I'm quite independent and have had previous health issues where I went to appointments alone so I was fine with that, but I wanted him to be at the scans where possible so he could see baby! Also my midwife encouraged me to record baby's heartbeat at every appointment so he could hear it afterwards which helped him feel involved 🙂
_________

By the way, I've realised that me saying above that baby is 4/5 engaged is confusing because of the way engagement is recorded!! Only 1/5 of his head was palpable, so 4/5 is currently down in my pelvis waiting to headbutt his way out 😂

With my first my husband came to the first midwife appointment and to the one where we discussed the birth plan, he also came to both my scans and to my glucose test. However this time around he’s only come to the scans as honestly the midwife appointments aren’t really for him. I don’t know what anyone else’s midwife is like either but mine was very keen to make sure everything was okay at home/I was happy, which I don’t think she would’ve been able to ask comfortably had he been there

I've been to all of my midwife and consultant appointments by myself for all 3 babies. He even missed a few scans!

My partner has only ever been to 12 week and 20 week scans. Never been to midwife apps for either pregnancy and didn't come when I had to attend preterm clinic with consultant. It's up to you and him really if he wants to be there but it's not necessary unless you want support!

Reactions: 3
40+1 today, just had a midwife appointment and she said baby is 4/5 engaged and my cervix is softening 🎉 she tried to do a sweep but my cervix was too far back to complete it, but from what she could feel she said things are moving the right way and her trying to reach it might help bring on labour. Back to bouncing on the ball this afternoon to try to encourage baby out!
Good luck! I was exactly the same as you except 40 weeks, midwife couldn’t reach my cervix then the next morning my waters broke!
---
My mum came with me to the appointments, or when she couldn’t my other half came and he went to the early scans.

I used to see people waiting alone, with mums and partners there so it’s just whatever you feel comfortable with. I regularly faint when having blood taken so was always supervised 😂

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.