Pregnancy #44 The 3am Club

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Me moaning again šŸ™„
Just want your opinions, so Iā€™m due 2nd March and meant to be going on mat leave 17th Feb but feels so far away, Iā€™m having quite a few appointments now because of the bloody diabetes tests, additional growth scans, midwife appointments and I thought my work would be flexible but Iā€™ve got a covering manager now who is just trying to prove a point and wants everyone in the office 3 times a week and 2 days at home, and itā€™s typical my appointments seem to always be on the days Iā€™m meant to be in the office so I have to go in after or make it up another day and Iā€™m just exhausted from it all. My work, midwives and my house are in 3 opposite directions so lots of driving/catching busesā€¦ I havenā€™t been in this week at all off sick and I feel anxious having to work tomorrow and telling him about the diabetes appointment next weekā€¦ Basically I just wanna bring my maternity leave forward a weekšŸ™„
do you agree?
You have a right to attend appointments so they canā€™t stop you doing that or refuse to give you time off. But if you want to bring your leave forward, and feel itā€™s the right thing to do for you and baby, do it.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Me moaning again šŸ™„
Just want your opinions, so Iā€™m due 2nd March and meant to be going on mat leave 17th Feb but feels so far away, Iā€™m having quite a few appointments now because of the bloody diabetes tests, additional growth scans, midwife appointments and I thought my work would be flexible but Iā€™ve got a covering manager now who is just trying to prove a point and wants everyone in the office 3 times a week and 2 days at home, and itā€™s typical my appointments seem to always be on the days Iā€™m meant to be in the office so I have to go in after or make it up another day and Iā€™m just exhausted from it all. My work, midwives and my house are in 3 opposite directions so lots of driving/catching busesā€¦ I havenā€™t been in this week at all off sick and I feel anxious having to work tomorrow and telling him about the diabetes appointment next weekā€¦ Basically I just wanna bring my maternity leave forward a weekšŸ™„
do you agree?
Iā€™d definitely leave earlier. Iā€™m starting at 31wks because my bosses canā€™t understand not every pregnancy is easy & that my job is physically demanding unlike theirs.
Theyā€™re also being a pain like yours is about appointments, but 100% he is not allowed to force you into ā€˜making time upā€™ - attach the government website where it states it and CC in HR explaining that moving forward you wonā€™t be forced into owing them hours back.
These bosses take the bleeping piss !
Look after yourself, bring it forward & treat yourself in those last few weeks you wonā€™t regret it xx

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Theyā€™re not allowed to ask you to make the time up for appointments, itā€™s the law. I didnā€™t realise this until Iā€™d had 1 or 2 apts before anyone knew, then my colleague told me and I confirmed it with HR. My work just ask thatā€™s it at the start or end of the day - but they get sent through to me so I donā€™t have a choice! The only ones I have a say in are my midwife apts and I try and get early morning if poss but itā€™s not always feasible. You should Google it and send it to them. Especially at such a late stage when youā€™re having so many appointments, youā€™d end up needing to work a whole weekend day šŸ™„

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Has anyone had a pregnancy massage before? We're booking a weekend away to celebrate my mat leave/do a mini-babymoon (despite having already done one in September... lol) and the spa does a pregnancy massage, which also gives us half a day access to the heated pool and other facilities (obviously wouldn't be using the sauna or the steam room, but the heated pool isn't going to be that hot is it?). Just wondering how they work, I've only ever had one massage before lol

Has anyone had a pregnancy massage before? We're booking a weekend away to celebrate my mat leave/do a mini-babymoon (despite having already done one in September... lol) and the spa does a pregnancy massage, which also gives us half a day access to the heated pool and other facilities (obviously wouldn't be using the sauna or the steam room, but the heated pool isn't going to be that hot is it?). Just wondering how they work, I've only ever had one massage before lol
Yes Iā€™ve had one in each of my two pregnancies! I think they make sure to use pregnancy safe essential oils and you lie on your side with a towel to protect your modesty, as obviously you canā€™t lie on your front! My first pregnancy massage I think the lady just did whatever their standard pregnancy massage was, my second one was at a different spa and the lady asked me if I wanted feet, legs, face etc., and asked about the level of pressure/firmness I wanted too!

Reactions: 1
Yes I had one I was about 22 weeks I think. I laid on my side then she did my back then turned me over to the other side-it was really nice, they canā€™t apply much pressure at all but I felt really good afterwards! Iā€™m sure the pool will be fine too, as long as youā€™re careful getting out and if you start to feel like youā€™re getting super hot then get out! Some of the guidelines just feel like theyā€™re common sense because some people just donā€™t have any of that šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

• Haha
I had a massage when I was about 18 weeks pregnant, they wouldn't let me lie on my front and said I would have to lie on my side (which didn't sound super comfortable) but when I got there the masseuse said I could sit up on the bed propped up with pillows for support and I got 5 minutes or so at the end lying on my back. It was really nice and relaxing, although lying on my front would have been nicer. It was a back massage adjusted for pregnancy though so might be a different experience to a specific pregnancy massage.

Most heated pools are around 30-32 degrees. Which is fine.

Most heated pools are around 30-32 degrees. Which is fine.
Thought so - if it's anything like our hydro pool at work (it's actually called a hydro pool as well) then it'll just be that lovely warm temp rather than too hot. Got a hot tub in the lodge too so I can dip my feet in whilst OH sits! Even if I have to sit there with an umbrella and dip my feet in the pouring rain I shall do that XD OH is mildly peeved as my NHS discount has been eaten up by enhanced cancellation cover - but as I'll be 33 weeks at the time I don't feel we can risk it!

I would not
Me moaning again šŸ™„
do you agree?
I would not give in like that, not to go all Mumsnet but they are being v unreasonable. Do you have a decent HR department? F*ck them man.

this is the government website link:

Your employer should Have a passed out policy around your rights as an employee during pregnancy - if you have an employee handbook it will be in there.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
Had a 32 week growth scan today, after having 2 diabetes tests and both coming back normal, they want me to do another one šŸ˜© Babyā€™s tummy measured back in the top end of normal, last time it was off the scale so least thatā€™s good but URGHH I hate them diabetes tests, if my midwife canā€™t fit me in then I gotta check my blood sugars for 5 days then me and the doctor will have a regroup regarding potentially having a c-section/being induced due to babyā€™s weightā€¦ canā€™t I just have a chubby baby, the diabetes tests take so long !!!!!
Sorry Iā€™ve not caught up on the thread but I have GD and my growth scan yesterday baby was 8lbs1 so 64th centile. I am managing my GD through diet and no other health risks and the consultant still wanted me to be induced at 40 weeks. I really had to fight my corner and sheā€™s booked my induction for 41+3 days as thatā€™s the latest they would let me. She was pushing for 40+6 but luckily I had a talk with my midwife the day before who reassured me.
Donā€™t let being ā€œlarge for datesā€ or potential GD push you into a decision you donā€™t want x

edited to add Iā€™m 39+4 weeks

Last edited:
  • Heart
Anyone else see every single half hour last night? This 12hr day will be fun šŸ«£

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Iā€™m also starting to stress about maternity leave and Iā€™m only 19 weeks! Iā€™m hoping to work up until my due date (or until I go into labour if I go early) as I only get four weeks full pay and I canā€™t afford for that to be up before baby is even here.

But Iā€™m already starting to struggle with work and feeling so tired so I canā€™t imagine how Iā€™m gonna feel 19 weeks down the line when itā€™s hotter, Iā€™m massive and still having to haul my ass to workšŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø

• Heart
Anyone else see every single half hour last night? This 12hr day will be fun šŸ«£
I feel your pain. I got maybe 3 hours sleep in small chunks. I think I've actually forgotten how to fall asleep, I have a sore throat and every time I'm on the verge of sleep my body goes 'NO you can't breathe' and wakes me up šŸ˜­

Got the antenatal clinic today so might ask if they have a magic pill to knock me out as well as sort out my massive feet/ankles!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I literally could have written this myself. I'm one hour into my 12 hour shift and I feel ready to pass out!

• Heart
Does anyone ever feel weird after eating? Like tingly almost? Iā€™ve got diabetes test tomorrow, but worried thatā€™s whatā€™s causing it.

I would not

I would not give in like that, not to go all Mumsnet but they are being v unreasonable. Do you have a decent HR department? F*ck them man.

this is the government website link:

Your employer should Have a passed out policy around your rights as an employee during pregnancy - if you have an employee handbook it will be in there.
This is useful. My Managers being not so nice since I said I was pregnant. She insists that I swap my days over if I have an appointment. Even next week when I asked to pop out for 10 minutes for the 2nd blood test for diabetes (our hospital is literally Round the corner) she said no and insisted I took the day as holiday. Though her and assistant manager regularly book hair dresssr apps/opticians in working time.
She was really miffed she had to do a risk assessment for the other day and basically just ticked no risk to everything. Her comments about it wereā€¦ regarding lone working ( I work alone in the shop a day a week) her comment was that itā€™s fine as if something happens my husband would get concerned eventually. Another question about working in small spaces, her comment was ā€œyour not that fat yetā€. She also told me the other day that I need to announce my pregnancy to everyone soon as she didnā€™t want people thinking ā€œI was just this thickā€. Because I made the silliest mistake. She then went on a announced for me on a staff WhatsApp group.
I feel abit stuck as I emailed HR about a concerned and they copied her in and since then sheā€™s been worse with me.
They already know my replacement and she keeps telling me how excited she is for her to start even ā€œjokingā€ the other day that I go a month earlier.

Anyway Moan over!

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
Does anyone ever feel weird after eating? Like tingly almost? Iā€™ve got diabetes test tomorrow, but worried thatā€™s whatā€™s causing it.
How often are you eating? Are you letting your blood sugar go too low? Thatā€™s how I feel when Iā€™ve not eaten enough and itā€™s hypoglycaemia.

I've got my GTT tomorrow. I'm so nervous because I've such a strong family history of diabetes (both parents, my sister & my brother is prediabetic). I've eaten well throughout pregnancy where I can & I've lost some weight due to vomitting plenty. I try avoid eating loads of sugar but today's my birthday & I will be eating cake šŸ¤£

• Heart
Reactions: 4
This is useful. My Managers being not so nice since I said I was pregnant. She insists that I swap my days over if I have an appointment. Even next week when I asked to pop out for 10 minutes for the 2nd blood test for diabetes (our hospital is literally Round the corner) she said no and insisted I took the day as holiday. Though her and assistant manager regularly book hair dresssr apps/opticians in working time.
She was really miffed she had to do a risk assessment for the other day and basically just ticked no risk to everything. Her comments about it wereā€¦ regarding lone working ( I work alone in the shop a day a week) her comment was that itā€™s fine as if something happens my husband would get concerned eventually. Another question about working in small spaces, her comment was ā€œyour not that fat yetā€. She also told me the other day that I need to announce my pregnancy to everyone soon as she didnā€™t want people thinking ā€œI was just this thickā€. Because I made the silliest mistake. She then went on a announced for me on a staff WhatsApp group.
I feel abit stuck as I emailed HR about a concerned and they copied her in and since then sheā€™s been worse with me.
They already know my replacement and she keeps telling me how excited she is for her to start even ā€œjokingā€ the other day that I go a month earlier.

Anyway Moan over!
Youā€™re being poorly managed and unfairly treated. I donā€™t know how big your HR is but can you talk to someone above the person who copied her in? It sounds a bit like youā€™re being bullied tbh. A phone call or a face to face meeting maybe? Does your manager have a manager and do you get on with them?
Everyoneā€™s posts about how horrible their employers are when theyā€™re pregnant makes me really unhappy - Iā€™ve been really lucky but I donā€™t think itā€™s about luck I think itā€™s about following the bloody legislation and treating you like a human being (who is growing another human being and all that entails). All youā€™re trying to do is have a safe pregnancy, thatā€™s what antenatal appointments and risk assessments are for šŸ™„

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.