Pregnancy #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh god Adam Kays book. I forgot that he worked in maternity services. I remember it being full of horror stories. Not so horrible pre pregnancy, not sure i could stomach it now!! 🤢😵
Yeah don’t do it! Very traumatic story at the end. My friend read it pregnant and was devastated.

Reactions: 2
I can’t remember the last story! I know it was tragic and obstetric so will avoid.

Who is Adam Kay? I don’t want to google Incase it sets me off with anxiety again but also interested x

He used to be a Dr but left medicine and I think he’s a comedian now. His book is very good, but yes not a read for pregnant ladies.
Ok I won’t be reading about that but thank you for telling me. I see so many things online that are negative and someone I know infact more than one have had terrible experiences so now I am trying to block it out x

Reactions: 1
Ok I won’t be reading about that but thank you for telling me. I see so many things online that are negative and someone I know infact more than one have had terrible experiences so now I am trying to block it out x
Just wanted to say it’s not really intended to be ‘negative horror story’ type that women share to sensationalise birth etc. It’s just various stories from his diaries that he wrote during his time as a junior doctor. A lot of them are very very funny. The book just highlights how hard and ridiculous it is being a doctor due to the hours you work and the difficulty of what happens in a hospital but also the stupidity of the public. Towards the end he knows he’s going to leave being a doctor because of the long hours etc but the final story is just something really really difficult that happened that I think was the final straw.

It is worth a read when not pregnant though! Just a bit too upsetting if pregnant. But very interesting insight on the NHS and what doctors are dealing with.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
For the past week or so I’ve been SO cold all the time. I assumed it was because we had a bit of warmer weather and then the temperature has dropped again. But I’ve been cold in the house with the heating on, cold when I’m wearing a jumper and sitting on the sofa with a blanket, I was even cold in the shower last night! Googled it this morning and apparently it’s common in early pregnancy, something to do with hormones changing. I feel like I’m learning so much 😂

Reactions: 4
For the past week or so I’ve been SO cold all the time. I assumed it was because we had a bit of warmer weather and then the temperature has dropped again. But I’ve been cold in the house with the heating on, cold when I’m wearing a jumper and sitting on the sofa with a blanket, I was even cold in the shower last night! Googled it this morning and apparently it’s common in early pregnancy, something to do with hormones changing. I feel like I’m learning so much 😂
Haha me too, my husbands melting and I have a blanket and the fire on freezing!

Reactions: 2
Yes this would be one of my early pregnancy things! It’s so odd, isn’t it? Pregnancy is a very strange thing the things it does to you!

Reactions: 3
That’s so odd! I am always hot and my husband is always cold so if this happens to me it’ll probably be very welcome by him, I never want the heating on and we sleep with a summer 4 tog duvet year round!!

Reactions: 4
Is anyone here on baby number 3 or more?

Interested to hear how your second labour/birth (vaginal delivery) went compared to the first?

My first was three hours start to finish and I’ve had a few people telling me that second time round it will be much quicker which is scaring me a bit!
My first labour was 7 hours in total, 2nd was just over 3 hours, went from 4cm to baby being born in 40 mins so contractions were intense, was induced with baby number 3 but from contractions starting to baby being born was just over 3 hours again.

Contractions with baby number 2 were the most painful out of them all.

That’s so odd! I am always hot and my husband is always cold so if this happens to me it’ll probably be very welcome by him, I never want the heating on and we sleep with a summer 4 tog duvet year round!!
This is me too, I’m usually the one that’s cold but I’m just ridiculously hot all the time 🥵

Sensitive subject but for those who have had miscarriages, is the pain a similar type of pain to labour? Not in intensity/severity but I mean in terms of the type or quality of pain? People talk about early labour pain as being like period pains but I haven’t had painful periods for 10-15 years and until last year hadn’t had a period for 7 years due to the coil so I can barely remember what period pains feel like. Had a 7w miscarriage last year and remember the pain from that so wondering if there is any similarity there
I’ve had 2 miscarriages. My first one I’d say the pain was like early contractions. with my second I had no pain just bleeding.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
With regards to birth plans and the expectations you may have going into labour if this is your first baby honestly just go with the flow. Whatever other pain you’ve ever been in in your life and think you’ve not got a high pain threshold etc. Labour is not like any of those other pains, yes it’s very painful, but it’s a productive pain, it’s manageable. Yes at times it’s excruciating but you will surprise yourself and manage whatever happens to you in labour and however you end up giving birth you will be so proud of yourself because at the end of the day you’ll have your long for baby in your arms. Labour really is just the beginning of the rest of your life with your child and if anything I think the first few weeks can be harder and take more of an emotional toll on your body. I’ve given birth 4 times and each one was very different, I’ve never been induced or had an epidural (I just don’t like the thought of needles in my back) I’ve always had pethedine or gas and air. My first labour was long and tiring but I did it, my second was ultra quick, just as painful as the first just over sooner. My 3rd was a dreamy home birth, a bit stop start and tiring but a really good positive experience. My 4th was horrendous. Longest labour to date, I screamed for an epidural but don’t have one as I was still to scared, longest pushing stage, retained placenta, lots of stitches and baby ended up in NICU for 10 days (he was born at 37 weeks and had immature lungs still) but do you know what that was manageable too, horrible at the time but I did it and now here I am at 29 weeks and can’t wait to do it again! What will it be like? Who knows? All I know is it’s going to be painful again but wow at the end of that baby girl will be here and it will all be worth it. We’ve got this ladies however our births work out. We really are champions. Xx

• Heart
Reactions: 18
My hospital does remifentanil which you get hooked up to an IV, and you press a button and it gives you a shot, but it wears off very quickly. Great stuff for the crux of a contraction, and doesn’t leave you too out of it for long (unless you press it every two minutes like I did 🤣).
Remifentanil on a PCA pump is a gift from the gods🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha
Almost 2 weeks of not being sick and feeling pretty good and then this morning I woke up and was sick and feel so nauseous I can’t move again. Been feeling so good and productive and then today I’m a big useless lump again haha help!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
Keep getting sharp pains deep in pelvis coupled with the urge to wee (but no wee there!) Only lasts seconds, is this what it feels like when the head is engaging? I hope so!

• Heart
Keep getting sharp pains deep in pelvis coupled with the urge to wee (but no wee there!) Only lasts seconds, is this what it feels like when the head is engaging? I hope so!
You haven’t got long to go now, so could be! Mine didn’t engage until labour so I’ve no experience to share, but fingers crossed!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.