Pregnancy #36 Mother In Laws… please shut up!!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thanks! I got my scan letter and it says “make sure you arrange bloods and booking in appt…” but no guidance about how 🤦🏻‍♀️
I’m going in… can’t wait to have a passive aggressive conversation with the receptionist 🤪
I went in with my second and they handed me a bit of paper with a website on.

Called up this time thinking they could just tell me the website over the phone. They said "You'll have to come in and collect some papers"
Go in, they hand me 1 bit of paper again, with a website on 😑😂

• Haha
Reactions: 1
I went in with my second and they handed me a bit of paper with a website on.

Called up this time thinking they could just tell me the website over the phone. They said "You'll have to come in and collect some papers"
Go in, they hand me 1 bit of paper again, with a website on 😑😂
This is the kind of operational wizardry we are working with.
Clearly a gap in the system - the NHS as a machine is too big to implement actual improvements effectively and since it’s women its affecting who really cares anyway.

Reactions: 5
Clearly a gap in the system - the NHS as a machine is too big to implement actual improvements effectively and since it’s women its affecting who really cares anyway.
You may be best ringing your local midwifery unit at the hospital to get intouch with your community midwife as apposed to your GP tbh. My GPs wouldn't refer me to the community team and told me to contact the community team based in the hospital who then chewed my ear off because the GP was supposed to make that booking referral and they booked me in to speak with my community midwife the following week.

Reactions: 3
It’s so archaic in Northern Ireland. We fill in paper forms and send them off, then they send you a letter by post with time and date of your scan. Wish NHS would develop an app to book everything and to hold your maternity notes. We still have to lug around a stupid paper file to our appointments. So outdated.

Reactions: 2
It’s so archaic in Northern Ireland. We fill in paper forms and send them off, then they send you a letter by post with time and date of your scan. Wish NHS would develop an app to book everything and to hold your maternity notes. We still have to lug around a stupid paper file to our appointments. So outdated.
I’m not sure if it’s a Scottish thing but we have an app called badger notes (defo named by a man thinking he was being funny 😆) and I can access all my notes, scan details/measurements and blood results which has been great! Would be great if they rolled that out everywhere!

Reactions: 7
I've been thinking a lot about the lack of age gap lately. It sounds like it would be ideal to at least have one well out of nappies first. We want 2 (this is number 1) but by the time this one's born I'll be 38. That's not giving me a lot of time to confidently have a gap... :( I'm worried if I leave it more than a year or so my fertility might have declined
I’m not sure if it’s a Scottish thing but we have an app called badger notes (defo named by a man thinking he was being funny 😆) and I can access all my notes, scan details/measurements and blood results which has been great! Would be great if they rolled that out everywhere!
I’m in England and got signed up to this after my midwife appt today! None of my info on it yet though but I do think it’s being rolled out veryyyy slowly 😂

• Heart
Nothing was done via my GP so bear that in mind when you speak to the receptionist - they may just point you in the direction of the internet! Sadly it’s a postcode lottery as to how well the system works and what is available to you. I’m seeing a midwife this week for the first time in 19 weeks - all of my appointments bar one have been on the phone whereas many people have had all of theirs done face-to-face. Likewise I’ve never spoken to the same person more than once, and not spoken to my named midwife contact at all.

The whole process is very different to what I was expecting!
Gosh that’s crazy isn’t it…. Although the situation you describe would be my best outcome given I had a really horrible midwife with my first who put me off going to check ups - I went to the drop in clinic instead on the end as she was so rude to me all the time.
I don’t mind being redirected as long as I get the answer I need!

Not everywhere in Scotland yet either! I’m in Scotland and everything is done via the paper notes, no app for me!

• Heart
I have the app I’m in Scotland. Would prefer paper notes though as half the stuff isn’t on the app 🤣

• Haha
Irelands system seems so different to the UK. All the percentile talk has gone way over my head, I haven't heard that word once 😅

Are you far enough to have your bump measured?
That's usually when it starts 😂
Or a growth scan later on
I don’t remember percentile talk at bump stage when I was pregnant on my first… she was referred to as “very average” in size which I was extremely content with 🤣

I don’t remember percentile talk at bump stage when I was pregnant on my first… she was referred to as “very average” in size which I was extremely content with 🤣
I'm not 100% sure if they do percentiles when they measure your bump as I've never had it done. I just remember seeing people talk about it.
Maybe they don't measure anything at all in some places then 😂
Usually from 28 weeks i think

I’m in Liverpool and we use a website called my pregnancy notes, all my notes, referrals and appointments are on there. I can go in and do my birth plan too but I’m not bothering with one this time 🤣

I'm in Cumbria and we use the badger notes too. I find it quite helpful for getting results back and remembering appointments when I'm out and about I'm finding that I'm more forgetful this time round so would definitely end up forgetting my paper notes if I need to take those to an appointment!

Quick questions about how they measure baby’s growth in pregnancy. I’ll be 28w on Wednesday and have an in-person appointment with the midwife on Thursday. I’ve not had any measurements taken yet of my bump but I gather a fundal measurement should be taken regularly from 24 weeks.

Why do they not take a baseline measurement in early pregnancy as presumably different people will have a different starting point depending on their frame and how they carry their weight?

What exactly do they measure?

Your bump , it’s not reliable either so like most things related to pregnancy , read about and listen to your own instinct. I had a friend who literally looked like she had been in the All you can eat buffet , so a small bloated belly, and baby was 8.13 despite being told they were measuring small.
I find the naked doula brilliant for informative stuff - find her on insta.

I got that bit 😂 Sorry should have been more specific - around it? The length of it? I just can’t understand how that could be vaguely telling if they have no measurement to start with.
From top to bottom, from your pubic bone. I believe it’s supposed to match how many weeks you are, so for example at 32 weeks I *should* have measured 32cm but I only measured 30cm so they sent me for a growth scan. It’s not accurate at all IMO

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.