Pregnancy #35 Sponsored by Judy Lee

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
That’s so good to hear, honestly they can make you feel so guilty sometimes. Like you’re guaranteed to get it and it will be all your fault because your BMI is high etc. But my friend who has a very high BMI didn’t get it, but one of my very slim friends did… ! Its clearly not as straightforward as just being bigger. Wondering if there’s any real way to prevent it
I don't think there's a way to prevent it as its all down to hormones!

So ladies, another question from me for the more experienced pregnant people who’ve had gestational diabetes but didn’t have multiples: do you know how you got it? My BMI is over 30 so I’m paranoid about getting it. Keep feeling guilty when I eat something sweet which is a nightmare because all I want is ice cream…
I have a low BMI, eat healthy foods most of tr time, am very active, and stay away from sugars, and I got GD. Honestly, it has nothing to do with the aforementioned things and is about how the placenta is working. Like a PP said, you either get it or you don’t.
I ate what I wanted before the diagnosis. If I wanted a brownie, I’d have one, etc. It’s really hard to say who’ll get it and who won’t.

I’ve been managing it since 26 weeks (I’m 34 tomorrow) and it’s not as bad (for me) as I thought it would be. I actually really enjoy testing my blood to see how various foods affect my body and sugar levels; I was disappointed when they told me I could test 2x a week rather than every day because I loved getting my readings.

Ultimately, it’s how your body & hormones react to being pregnant (namely the placenta), and it’s about the health of the baby. I’ve been extremely strict and have not had any unnatural sugars or sweets since the diagnosis. Some people totally fine, but for me I’m a bit all or nothing. I swapped out whole wheat versions of everything and made sure to eat meals (especially breakfast) that fill me up and keep me from being hungry in an hour. For me, that’s 2 slices of ww toast, an avocado, and 2 eggs.

sorry! Kind of went off on a tangent 🤣

Reactions: 3
25 weeks and my first post! Found out at my 20 week scan(I was 22 weeks) that there is something wrong with the umbilical cord, basically it’s missing a blood vessel or something..has anyone been told this too? They’ve mentioned me maybe having preeclampsia(high blood pressure and protein in my urine) but haven’t definitely said if I’ve got it. Will it mean anything further along in my pregnancy? Feel very unprepared for everything, due in September and time is flying!!
I’m sorry you’ve been told what could seem quite worrying and serious pieces of information and then been left to figure out what they mean. That is really poor. I’d recommend trying to speak to a consultant or a midwife.

I’m unsure about the umbilical cord issue, but pre-eclampsia is a condition that causes high blood pressure and will need to be monitored closely. It may mean you’d need to be admitted to hospital for them to keep an eye on you, in serious cases they may want to deliver baby earlier.

Some people are more at risk for pre-eclampsia - I’ve been told to take aspirin daily as a precautionary measure so I’d definitely ask a medical professional whether you should be taking it. They can prescribe it to you so it’s free.

Reactions: 1
I’m sorry you’ve been told what could seem quite worrying and serious pieces of information and then been left to figure out what they mean. That is really poor. I’d recommend trying to speak to a consultant or a midwife.

I’m unsure about the umbilical cord issue, but pre-eclampsia is a condition that causes high blood pressure and will need to be monitored closely. It may mean you’d need to be admitted to hospital for them to keep an eye on you, in serious cases they may want to deliver baby earlier.

Some people are more at risk for pre-eclampsia - I’ve been told to take aspirin daily as a precautionary measure so I’d definitely ask a medical professional whether you should be taking it. They can prescribe it to you so it’s free.
Thank you so much! They haven’t mentioned anything to me they just say I’ve high blood pressure constantly and I’ve been in hospital overnight a few times to monitor that but that’s all that’s been said. Would just love to know more or if I can do anything to prevent/help it. Worrying time really!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I had my first scan today, baby is measuring at 7 weeks 2 days and everything seems great even though I had a little bit of spotting. I can’t believe I’m actually pregnant, It feels so surreal but I feel so happy 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 21
25 weeks and my first post! Found out at my 20 week scan(I was 22 weeks) that there is something wrong with the umbilical cord, basically it’s missing a blood vessel or something..has anyone been told this too? They’ve mentioned me maybe having preeclampsia(high blood pressure and protein in my urine) but haven’t definitely said if I’ve got it. Will it mean anything further along in my pregnancy? Feel very unprepared for everything, due in September and time is flying!!
Double/Single Vessel cord is quite common but no one seems to be educated enough on it. It can restrict growth and does make your pregnancy high risk, you should of been referred to fetal medicine for regular dopplers for them to keep an eye on it, they are able to explain it in more detail for you than your community midwife. Has anyone mentioned growth scans or any referrals to you and if it'd double or single vessel or documented it in your pregnancy notes?

Just after a bit of advice, has anyone who already has a baby done combination feeding? I was set on formula feeding until a week ago and now I'm thinking about combination feeding, bottle during the day and breastfeeding at night. I asked my midwife and she just said its fine to do but that was it, so wondering if anyone has any positive stories on this?
Me, I did exactly this for 12 weeks it was fine, my first baby was slightly premature and I had a traumatic labour and milk didn’t come for a few days plus if I’m honest I didn’t know what the hell I was doing

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I have a low BMI, eat healthy foods most of tr time, am very active, and stay away from sugars, and I got GD. Honestly, it has nothing to do with the aforementioned things and is about how the placenta is working. Like a PP said, you either get it or you don’t.
I ate what I wanted before the diagnosis. If I wanted a brownie, I’d have one, etc. It’s really hard to say who’ll get it and who won’t.

I’ve been managing it since 26 weeks (I’m 34 tomorrow) and it’s not as bad (for me) as I thought it would be. I actually really enjoy testing my blood to see how various foods affect my body and sugar levels; I was disappointed when they told me I could test 2x a week rather than every day because I loved getting my readings.

Ultimately, it’s how your body & hormones react to being pregnant (namely the placenta), and it’s about the health of the baby. I’ve been extremely strict and have not had any unnatural sugars or sweets since the diagnosis. Some people totally fine, but for me I’m a bit all or nothing. I swapped out whole wheat versions of everything and made sure to eat meals (especially breakfast) that fill me up and keep me from being hungry in an hour. For me, that’s 2 slices of ww toast, an avocado, and 2 eggs.

sorry! Kind of went off on a tangent 🤣
Haha not at all… it is crazy how they like to make bigger people feel guilty about things though. I’m getting weighed every visit and but apparently this doesn’t happen to every normal size person.

• Sad
Double/Single Vessel cord is quite common but no one seems to be educated enough on it. It can restrict growth and does make your pregnancy high risk, you should of been referred to fetal medicine for regular dopplers for them to keep an eye on it, they are able to explain it in more detail for you than your community midwife. Has anyone mentioned growth scans or any referrals to you and if it'd double or single vessel or documented it in your pregnancy notes?
All I was told at my scan was I have a growth scan at 32 weeks. The sonographer wasn’t great, she didn’t really say much or answer any of my questions. I have a private scan this Saturday because I’m hoping I’ll get more information. They never mentioned anything else to me, she said baby was measuring 1 pound at 22 weeks which she said was “okay”. I think it’s single vessel, so instead of having two blood vessels it only has the one

Also I know it differs from trust to trust but even though I’ve been told I’m high risk, I’ve had 1 midwife app at 15 weeks and she said I don’t see her again till 28 weeks, plus a consultant appointment. Does this sound right?

Haha not at all… it is crazy how they like to make bigger people feel guilty about things though. I’m getting weighed every visit and but apparently this doesn’t happen to every normal size person.
You can 100% refuse to be weighed.
They shouldn't be weighing you at every appointment.
I was weighed at my booking appointment and that's it

Also I know it differs from trust to trust but even though I’ve been told I’m high risk, I’ve had 1 midwife app at 15 weeks and she said I don’t see her again till 28 weeks, plus a consultant appointment. Does this sound right?
It doesn't make a difference if you're high risk with the midwife unfortunately, second child or more and they don't see you as much. There's a few later down the line they skip too

• Heart
I’m so sorry they’re doing that to you! You don’t have to be weighed if you do not want to.

My mom is obsessed with how much I’ve put on vs how much she put on in her pregnancy, and she can’t understand that I don’t know and don’t care!

I’m so sorry they’re doing that to you! You don’t have to be weighed if you do not want to.

My mom is obsessed with how much I’ve put on vs how much she put on in her pregnancy, and she can’t understand that I don’t know and don’t care!
Oh god that sounds like a nightmare with your mum. I’m sorry.

They are pleasantly surprised when they weight me so far 🙄 so that’s one thing

Did anyone have their 16 week appointment via telephone? I had to chase my midwife up as she isn’t very forthcoming with information and she confirmed she has me booked in for a phone call next week, would have been nice to know 😅 assume I’m not really missing anything by not seeing her face to face?

Did anyone have their 16 week appointment via telephone? I had to chase my midwife up as she isn’t very forthcoming with information and she confirmed she has me booked in for a phone call next week, would have been nice to know 😅 assume I’m not really missing anything by not seeing her face to face?
All of my appointments were over the phone until 24 weeks 😊
Not really much they do at 16 weeks 😊

Yes. I‘ve had one f2f appointment with a midwife so far. My next appointment at 25 weeks will be another phone call. Not seen a consultant in person and my next appointment at 29 weeks will be a video conference. It feels quite impersonal imo and wholly unnecessary.

These stomach pains are really bothering me now 🥴 they’re like period pains but they didn’t seem concerned earlier when I seen them in the epu! I know everyone says it’s common but has anyone had period like pains that last hours?

These stomach pains are really bothering me now 🥴 they’re like period pains but they didn’t seem concerned earlier when I seen them in the epu! I know everyone says it’s common but has anyone had period like pains that last hours?
I had weeks worth of period pains with every pregnancy. They're completely normal 😊
They used to wake me up at night sometimes!
Everything is growing and stretching and adapting 😊

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.