Pregnancy #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Has anyone got group B strep? Or had it in previous pregnancies?
did the antibiotics manage to stop it from being transferred to baby? Also, is it something I’ve got for life?

I am good how are you? No sickness but waves of dizziness constipation and people are irritating me very easily 🤣 has your sickness just started xx
I’ve felt queasy since before I even took my test at 3 weeks. It was on and off until last week and then it kicked back in big time last week. Thrown up every morning since Sunday.

I’m alright - getting a lot of crampy pain but I think it’s constipation 😫 took my eye off the ball recently with eating plenty of fruit etc. Going to force some fybogel down myself until the Tesco shop arrives 🤮

Pregnancy sickness is rough!! 😞
I need to get back to eating more fruit and veg but I just can’t bring myself to. All I want is dry and stodgy food. Definitely had crampy constipation pain last night cause of it though. The struggle is real.

Ugh noo! Does it get at all better throughout the day?

I had a headache from Sunday afternoon to last night which has now gone thank god - it was horrible! Really unwilling to take paracetamol atm unless I absolutely have to.

I also had my booking appointment (40 min phone call followed by an in person appointment) and the midwife was so lovely, I’ve heard lots of people getting fobbed off so think I’ve really lucked out with mine!
It’s bad all morning. Yesterday I was ok from about 2-5 then I got home from work and it was bad again. Absolute worst in the morning though. What did your booking appointment consist of?

Reactions: 1
did the antibiotics manage to stop it from being transferred to baby? Also, is it something I’ve got for life?
I haven't had it but always made sure I do the test at around 36/37 weeks.
Yes the antibiotics do stop it. And no you don't have it for life 😊

Reactions: 2

I had a headache from Sunday afternoon to last night which has now gone thank god - it was horrible! Really unwilling to take paracetamol atm unless I absolutely have to.

I also had my booking appointment (40 min phone call followed by an in person appointment) and the midwife was so lovely, I’ve heard lots of people getting fobbed off so think I’ve really lucked out with mine!
That’s so good you had a proper appointment. Mine was about ten minutes and when I saw the notes she ticked that she had discussed loads of stuff with me that she hadn’t grr

Did you do the test yourself?

I think they put you on a drip through labour to make sure it doesn't pass on 😊
Well I was admitted a few weeks ago and they said they’d done a swab that came back as positive for Group B strep, gave me a leaflet and told me not to worry about it. But then they tested my urine on Friday (weekly check up) and I’ve had a letter through to say they’ve found it in my urine as well as leukocytes? I guess they can detect through vaginal swab and urine? Either way, as long as baby doesn’t get it I’m not worried !

Well I was admitted a few weeks ago and they said they’d done a swab that came back as positive for Group B strep, gave me a leaflet and told me not to worry about it. But then they tested my urine on Friday (weekly check up) and I’ve had a letter through to say they’ve found it in my urine as well as leukocytes? I guess they can detect through vaginal swab and urine? Either way, as long as baby doesn’t get it I’m not worried !
How far along are you?
It can come and go throughout pregnancy.

Yeah the leukocytes is basically show your body is fighting an infection of some kind. Which could be anything like a UTI ect.

It's good that you know about it though!
It isn't a big deal once it's known about because it's easily sorted. It's when it's not known about that's the problem.
Which is the annoying thing that every pregnant woman shout test around 36/37 weeks but you have to pay for it yourself.

I haven't had it but always made sure I do the test at around 36/37 weeks.
Yes the antibiotics do stop it. And no you don't have it for life 😊
Did you do a private test or did you get offered it on NHS? I’m aware not everyone gets offered it unless risk factors

How far are you I have a terrible memory recently can’t remember if I have seen you post about it I also love your user name my Nan used to give me those 😆 x

Did you do a private test or did you get offered it on NHS? I’m aware not everyone gets offered it unless risk factors
Private. They rarely offer it on the NHS. Think it cost around £40 but would rather do that than not know about it

It was picked up that I had GBS ages on one of my many, many urine samples (I suffer from recurrent UTIs) way before I got pregnant. At my booking appointment the midwife said it can come and go but she strongly recommends testing later on but yes it's a private test. Very much worth it to prevent baby from becoming extremely poorly! They do offer it routinely in other countries just not the UK but I think there are some campaigns to change this and raise awareness.

Private. They rarely offer it on the NHS. Think it cost around £40 but would rather do that than not know about it
I’m undecided. Majority of babies and mums am with GBS are fine and not sure of consequences of unnecessary antibiotics of baby microbiome. Probably would err on the side of caution and get the test mind

Group B strep is a normal part of our skin flora, about 1/3-1/4 would test positive for it at any time. It only causes an issue in adults when it makes its way into your bladder and can cause a UTI. You'll get antibiotics for GBS in your urine, but not on a swab as it is normal to find it in the vagina. It can, however, cause some babies to become very unwell - working in our own neonatal unit, I have seen babies who have GBS infections that need a lot of help. If you test positive at any time in pregnancy, you'll be offered antibiotics through a drip in your labour to protect baby. If you have had GBS with a previous pregnancy, you may be offered the choice - this is different in some different areas. Your baby will also receive some monitoring after birth - normally that's 12-24 hours of observations every 2 hours (heart rate, temperature, breathing rate). There are some things that make your baby more 'at risk' such as having your waters gone for over 24 hours, being very small, having a premature baby or you being unwell in labour (having a temperature yourself). If baby has 2 'risk factors' (GBS is one, the things I've mentioned and others are the second), or there are any concerns for your baby after they are born, your baby's doctors may want to start antibiotics for baby through a drip in their hand (although this might be different at your own hospital). Usually this is for between 2-5 days, but it isn't just for suspected GBS infections that babies receive this.

Some people have babies who are unwell with GBS without it ever being picked up on their swabs/urines, despite having them. Most people who have GBS+ve results and receive antibiotics in labour will have no issues. I had antibiotics for it with both of my vaginal births (both premature) and no issues.

Reactions: 4
Group B strep is a normal part of our skin flora, about 1/3-1/4 would test positive for it at any time. It only causes an issue in adults when it makes its way into your bladder and can cause a UTI. You'll get antibiotics for GBS in your urine, but not on a swab as it is normal to find it in the vagina. It can, however, cause some babies to become very unwell - working in our own neonatal unit, I have seen babies who have GBS infections that need a lot of help. If you test positive at any time in pregnancy, you'll be offered antibiotics through a drip in your labour to protect baby. If you have had GBS with a previous pregnancy, you may be offered the choice - this is different in some different areas. Your baby will also receive some monitoring after birth - normally that's 12-24 hours of observations every 2 hours (heart rate, temperature, breathing rate). There are some things that make your baby more 'at risk' such as having your waters gone for over 24 hours, being very small, having a premature baby or you being unwell in labour (having a temperature yourself). If baby has 2 'risk factors' (GBS is one, the things I've mentioned and others are the second), or there are any concerns for your baby after they are born, your baby's doctors may want to start antibiotics for baby through a drip in their hand (although this might be different at your own hospital). Usually this is for between 2-5 days, but it isn't just for suspected GBS infections that babies receive this.

Some people have babies who are unwell with GBS without it ever being picked up on their swabs/urines, despite having them. Most people who have GBS+ve results and receive antibiotics in labour will have no issues. I had antibiotics for it with both of my vaginal births (both premature) and no issues.
Lovely, thank you for your reply. Lots of helpful information!
as it’s in my urine at the moment will I need antibiotics now as well as during labour?
seeing my community midwife Thursday so I will take the letter they sent me today. The report says amoxicillin and nitrofurantoin

Reactions: 2
as it’s in my urine at the moment will I need antibiotics now as well as during labour?
seeing my community midwife Thursday so I will take the letter they sent me today. The report says amoxicillin and nitrofurantoin
How many weeks are you?
Normally they don't bother giving antibiotics until labour as it isn't something that affects you. Majority of women have it and will never know

If it is positive in a urine sample you sent off, yes, you should get a course of antibiotics for the UTI. Did your letter come from your GP? You can usually give them a ring to get your prescription. Your gestation, the sensitivities for the UTI (what kills it when microbiology grew it in the lab) and your own medical history will dictate which antibiotic they give you but it should be a short course for about a week. You'll still be offered IV antibiotics (on a drip) in labour for baby as the antibiotics you'll get at the moment are just for the UTI. 😊

If it is positive in a urine sample you sent off, yes, you should get a course of antibiotics for the UTI. Did your letter come from your GP? You can usually give them a ring to get your prescription. Your gestation, the sensitivities for the UTI (what kills it when microbiology grew it in the lab) and your own medical history will dictate which antibiotic they give you but it should be a short course for about a week. You'll still be offered IV antibiotics (on a drip) in labour for baby as the antibiotics you'll get at the moment are just for the UTI. 😊
thank you 🙂🙂🙂 It was tested at the hospital, the maternity assessment unit, so the letter came from them. Doesn’t say what to do next though, just that I’ve got it, but when i read the microbiology form it says about it being present in my urine so thought I’d better chase for the antibiotics x

I’ve felt queasy since before I even took my test at 3 weeks. It was on and off until last week and then it kicked back in big time last week. Thrown up every morning since Sunday.

I need to get back to eating more fruit and veg but I just can’t bring myself to. All I want is dry and stodgy food. Definitely had crampy constipation pain last night cause of it though. The struggle is real.

It’s bad all morning. Yesterday I was ok from about 2-5 then I got home from work and it was bad again. Absolute worst in the morning though. What did your booking appointment consist of?
I haven’t managed to speak to a midwife I was just told I wouldn’t get any contact until 8 weeks and omg me too I keep eating just bread bagels with butter. I’ve made home made chips in the air fryer and sweet potato wedges and a small roast dinner which I really enjoyed. Usually love brocoli have it will every meal usually cannot stand it anymore and I am really missing coffee so I have been having a decaf Starbucks once a week as a treat. Are you 6 weeks this week? Xx

• Haha
I haven’t managed to speak to a midwife I was just told I wouldn’t get any contact until 8 weeks and omg me too I keep eating just bread bagels with butter. I’ve made home made chips in the air fryer and sweet potato wedges and a small roast dinner which I really enjoyed. Usually love brocoli have it will every meal usually cannot stand it anymore and I am really missing coffee so I have been having a decaf Starbucks once a week as a treat. Are you 6 weeks this week? Xx
Yeah I’ve been told I won’t speak to a midwife til 10 or 11 weeks. I need to have some vegetables today even though I really don’t fancy them. I’m 6 weeks and 2 days today. Fingers crossed I’ll see baby and a heartbeat at the scan tomorrow.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.