Pregnancy #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Haha that's normal šŸ˜‚
Same as your hair. Although I never notice a difference šŸ˜‚
Iā€™ve never noticed it before! Could may well have happened in previous pregnancies but maybe by then I couldnā€™t see my feet to tell šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ My hair always grows and sheds like a beast, and my finger nails are normal. Just my beastly toenails!

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Another question from me šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Iā€™m potentially going to be booked in for a C section, I find out at 32 week scan. But i canā€™t get my wedding ring and engagement ring off due to swelling, does it need to come off?

Iā€™m potentially going to be booked in for a C section, I find out at 32 week scan. But i canā€™t get my wedding ring and engagement ring off due to swelling, does it need to come off?
I think if you can't get them off, they can possibly tape over them? šŸ¤”

When I had mine I didnā€™t have to take off my rings. They said they were fine, but any ā€œexcessā€ jewellery had to come off (only a necklace for me).

Iā€™ve never noticed it before! Could may well have happened in previous pregnancies but maybe by then I couldnā€™t see my feet to tell šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ My hair always grows and sheds like a beast, and my finger nails are normal. Just my beastly toenails!
My hair is very long anyway however and I had my hair done 3 weeks ago and the roots Iā€™ve got oh my days also my nails have grown a lot! When I didnā€™t know I was pregnant I thought wow I must be eating really well now it makes sense! X

Reactions: 3
When I had mine I didnā€™t have to take off my rings. They said they were fine, but any ā€œexcessā€ jewellery had to come off (only a necklace for me).
I have read they tape over it. But is that because of hygiene reasons? Or because incase someone nicks them? Id like to see them try, Iā€™ve been trying for the last week to get them off šŸ˜‚

I think if you can't get them off, they can possibly tape over them? šŸ¤”
Iā€™ve managed to get my engagement ring off, wedding band not tried yet, fingers gone abit red and sore šŸ¤£
Surely they canā€™t expect me to take that off?

Reactions: 2
I have read they tape over it. But is that because of hygiene reasons? Or because incase someone nicks them? Id like to see them try, Iā€™ve been trying for the last week to get them off šŸ˜‚

Iā€™ve managed to get my engagement ring off, wedding band not tried yet, fingers gone abit red and sore šŸ¤£
I think it's something to do with incase they have to use a certain process to do with electricity and also to do with being sterile? šŸ¤”

I know you're not supposed to wear nail polish. I remember that one from before.
Or at least not supposed to have both your toe and finger nails painted.

I found this. Mixed with a few people saying about being as sterile as possible

Last edited:
I think it's something to do with incase they have to use a certain process to do with electricity and also to do with being sterile? šŸ¤”

I know you're not supposed to wear nail polish. I remember that one from before.
I donā€™t really get it about the nail and toe varnish Iā€™ve also got some pericings I cannot take out ( please donā€™t think I look like Marilyn Manson) so not sure what would happen there!
Also cannot stop eating today havenā€™t had any cramps so far x

I donā€™t really get it about the nail and toe varnish Iā€™ve also got some pericings I cannot take out ( please donā€™t think I look like Marilyn Manson) so not sure what would happen there!
I've read before about the nail varnish being for 2 reasons, one so they can check the nail bed colour? I presume if something were to go wrong maybe? šŸ¤”
And also the thing they put on your finger to monitor you, I think I read before it doesn't work as well through varnish

I've read before about the nail varnish being for 2 reasons, one so they can check the nail bed colour? I presume if something were to go wrong maybe? šŸ¤”
And also the thing they put on your finger to monitor you, I think I read before it doesn't work as well through varnish
Yeh the oxygen monitors don't work through polish especially gel polish.

I ended up in an ambulance a few years back and they couldn't monitor my oxygen through either fingers or toes so they clipped it on my ear šŸ˜†

Also re: rings I think for most surgery they will allow wedding ring only and even then it has to be taped. That's my experience anyway, had to remove engagement and eternity ring as well as earrings etc.

I donā€™t really get it about the nail and toe varnish
This is correct, itā€™s definitely the oxygen monitor and I believe status check.
There was a whole on he maternity FB group Iā€™m on with women moaning about having to remove their gels or acrylics, or ā€˜theyā€™ve said donā€™t buy should I have it done before going inā€™ and replies saying ā€˜do it, what they going to do once theyā€™re onā€™.
Bloody morons! Nails being more important than monitoring vitals in an emergency, giving the nurses more work to remove them. Drives me up the wall how some people donā€™t take the risks in childbirth seriously.

Reactions: 3
!!Continuing the trigger warning for anyone that doesn't particularly feel like reading about the above topics!!

I know this episode really well. We've talked about it at work over and over. As a NICU nurse, I have mixed feelings about it - it's a very realistic, stark look at what premature babies face, but I also think it can be very traumatic for parents to be. As a mum of 3 preemies, it made me sob too. That couple were so brave, and so strong together.

The very good news is that premature babies now live from much earlier gestations, with more complications, at lower weights, with far fewer long term complications. This gets better year on year. Research is developing, our understanding is growing. Babies now survive (and thrive!) in situations that they never would have previously. Our care is getting better and better, and will only continue to do so. I cannot speak highly enough of the dedication that my colleagues have to their jobs, that the doctors have to learning and developing their skills. There are some incredible stories that come out of the NICU. Caring for premature babies is often very humbling - they are the most resilient, adaptable, amazing little souls.

None of that helped me when it was my babies, in all honesty. Sometimes I wonder if it was worse because I knew more. With our boys, they had fairly straightforward times in the NICU and it was easier. With our girl it was a completely different story. At 30 weeks, and after a crash c-section with a large blood loss, I was just in shock. I had gone in with some abdominal pain and reduced fetal movements and a tiny amount of pink bleeding, and then her heart tracing was very poor, I bled more and suddenly I was being put to sleep. I was still unwell when they took me to see her, and she was so tiny, and so unwell herself, and all my nurse brain could tell me was that my colleagues were being kind to me, but I could read their faces. My husband was so encouraging, he was so positive (looking back, I think he was just so relieved we were both alive) but at the time, I can remember looking him in the eyes and telling him she was going to die, that he was being so stupid, that she was too small and too sick. I think I refused to bond with her initially because I was convinced she wasn't going to make it, and I wasn't setting myself up for that kind of hurt. It sounds insane now but it is very common with NICU parents - it is self protection. It is a traumatic place, most people have a traumatic pregnancy and/or birth that leads to a NICU admission, and even once they are born, it can be a real rollercoaster of a journey of constant ups and downs, sometimes very suddenly. It took until she was about a month old before I finally let myself start to believe she wasn't going anywhere. It still took months for me to really love her. It's a horrible admission that I hate myself for, and I adore her now 5 year old (very feisty!) self but it is the truth. I think people are so quick to paper over traumatic events, and it does nothing for improving your mental health.

My experiences really made me reflect on what it must be like for NICU parents in a way I maybe hadn't understood before. I always try and think of what I needed or wanted in those moments when I give advice. The biggest thing I think is understanding without dramatising or scaring yourself. Understanding that things could turn out one way, but that there are so many other ways too. I don't think it helps to see that on TV or in movies because although it's real stories, it's not always portrayed in a way that helps those that want it to. Could you speak to your consultant and ask to have a chat with the neonatal team at your local unit? They are usually very understanding and good people to speak to. Usually we offer unit tours to parents of babies that may end up under our care. Right now I know our unit is doing it through a Teams meeting and camera to let people see. Sometimes knowing all the facts (without the drama of good TV) can help you feel a little calmer and more confident. Please try to set time aside each day to speak to your baby. When you feel afraid or worried, try writing a letter to your baby. Normally, when you start writing it out, you realise that this fear and anxiety comes from such a deep love, and with my subsequent pregnancy, it certainly helped me to focus on that love, on my baby, on all the things that were good. We were one week forward. He was still wiggling away. I'd bought a daft outfit for him. His siblings had picked his name.

Sending you a big cuddle. Please make sure you speak with your midwife about how you are feeling. It is such a difficult path to walk, having a complicated pregnancy. You're going to be the best mum to your little bundle ā¤

Sandwiching this with a bit of oxytocin:

This is a lovely post šŸ„°

I see that baby stretching and just imagine thatā€™s what is happening when I get the violent double punches and kicks šŸ˜‚

• Haha
Reactions: 6
This is correct, itā€™s definitely the oxygen monitor and I believe status check.
There was a whole on he maternity FB group Iā€™m on with women moaning about having to remove their gels or acrylics, or ā€˜theyā€™ve said donā€™t buy should I have it done before going inā€™ and replies saying ā€˜do it, what they going to do once theyā€™re onā€™.
Bloody morons! Nails being more important than monitoring vitals in an emergency, giving the nurses more work to remove them. Drives me up the wall how some people donā€™t take the risks in childbirth seriously.
I've seen so many people doing this!
Including one woman saying she refuses to take her jewelry off and "Not like they're not going to refuse her to have her baby as it needs to be a csection"
It amazes me how many selfish people there are.
They're there to care about your health, not make things difficult for you for no reason!

Reactions: 4
Itā€™s for the o2 sats probe - it works by shining a light through your fingertip. Usually wards have a bottle of acetone if it doesnā€™t work through simple polish and youā€™ve forgotten/not had time to remove but they canā€™t deal with gels/acrylics.

Itā€™s for the o2 sats probe - it works by shining a light through your fingertip. Usually wards have a bottle of acetone if it doesnā€™t work through simple polish and youā€™ve forgotten/not had time to remove but they canā€™t deal with gels/acrylics.
Ah Iā€™ve had that before it doesnā€™t work through acrylics I remember itā€™s like a crocodile clip isnā€™t it X

edit I canā€™t take this piercing out as it requires surgical removal I donā€™t know why I did it when I was 18, 12 years later still havenā€™t removed it I just pretend it doesnā€™t exist šŸ¤£

This is a lovely post šŸ„°

I see that baby stretching and just imagine thatā€™s what is happening when I get the violent double punches and kicks šŸ˜‚
Kung fu šŸ„· Preparing for wriggly nappy changes. Next Ronaldo!šŸ˜‚

My favourite was always hiccups, both in and out!

I found this. Mixed with a few people saying about being as sterile as possible
Perfect, thank you. Il have to try and get my wedding band off next...Iā€™m 3 months away but want to be organised now before my hands get too swollen

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.