Pregnancy #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I hadn’t thought of eyes. But it’s something I could look into if it continues. My whole head and forehead just feels stuffy like I need to power hose it all out 😂 might even be sinus related as I’ve had problems there before.
Ah I had that weird kind of headache constantly around 11 weeks, I'm 14 weeks now and still get it maybe once a week. Dehydration is probably a key factor and fresh air definitely helps with that stuffed up feeling. Could you maybe take a day or two off sick to give yourself a rest from computers? I also found the headaches suddenly got worse if I'd just eaten something sugary.

Reactions: 1
Ah I had that weird kind of headache constantly around 11 weeks, I'm 14 weeks now and still get it maybe once a week. Dehydration is probably a key factor and fresh air definitely helps with that stuffed up feeling. Could you maybe take a day or two off sick to give yourself a rest from computers? I also found the headaches suddenly got worse if I'd just eaten something sugary.
Oh it’s horrible isn’t it 😢 I can’t take any time off sick due to deadlines coming up. It’s not unbareable it’s more just super annoying. I go to bed and it’s there, and I wake up, it’s still there!
I’ve got a week off coming up in a fortnight so I’ll look forward to that. I’d rather work because it helps take my mind off the sickness if that makes sense. I might try and plan some sort of self care for the evenings after work. I.e no telly, bath, skin care etc to see if that helps.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
I am coming up to 20 weeks and I’ve had a cracking headache for 6 days now. Paracetamol isn’t helping. I think it might be dehydration as I’m not getting enough water in due to (still!) constant sickness 😫

I’ve also tried those 4head chilled patches for my head but it’s like a tight band is squeezing me around the back of my neck and eyebrows.

Has anyone else suffered headaches in pregnancy before? What did you do to help? It’s doing my head in. I am working all day on computer screen and I’m struggling
Just after Christmas I had an awful headache that wouldn’t go. I ended up going to be checked out and I had high blood pressure (which then went back to normal) and they ran some blood tests. Might be worth ringing up to be on the safe side x

Just after Christmas I had an awful headache that wouldn’t go. I ended up going to be checked out and I had high blood pressure (which then went back to normal) and they ran some blood tests. Might be worth ringing up to be on the safe side x
Thank you I am speaking to my consultant in a day or two I will mention it. I had my blood pressure checked by the midwife last week and it was “perfect” she said. But I guess things can change. I’m almost convinced it’s tension headache as it’s right across my forehead. But I’m still mentioning it

Oh it’s horrible isn’t it 😢 I can’t take any time off sick due to deadlines coming up. It’s not unbareable it’s more just super annoying. I go to bed and it’s there, and I wake up, it’s still there!
I’ve got a week off coming up in a fortnight so I’ll look forward to that. I’d rather work because it helps take my mind off the sickness if that makes sense. I might try and plan some sort of self care for the evenings after work. I.e no telly, bath, skin care etc to see if that helps.
I had awful headaches. Took paracetamol but it was more of a ride it out situation. They went away, or at least got much better within about 3 weeks.

As mentioned by others, I’m not sure if the headaches were related, but I’ve had to get new glasses, big step up in my prescription. I’d usually only use them for driving, cinema maybe but I need them even to see the planner on the tv now. They said in most cases they will go improve again.

Also sinus issues are really common in pregnancy apparently. If you google it there’s lots of info. A saline spray may help. Just be really careful because the increased blood flow makes nose bleeds more likely and once you get one it’s a vicious circle of healing then breaking again making you more stuffy 😩

Hope you feel better x

Reactions: 3
Amazing news. I saw baby and the heartbeat 🧡😭 I’m so happy. Everything’s okay.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Did they give you a reason for the spotting ? Hopefully it’s all gone now and you can enjoy your pregnancy with no worries x
No unfortunately they didn’t give me an explanation but they just said it might go away and not to worry unless it’s a lot of blood.

Now I’ve seen the heartbeat I feel I can relax a bit more.

Reactions: 9
TRIGGER - talks of premature birth, infant death.

So I posted a few days ago about watching ‘one born every minute’ a few of you said to watch it, few of you said to avoid.
I decided to watch a couple just to see what it was like, I didn’t start from the beginning just randomly picked a couple of episodes, the first episode was lovely, I cried happy tears when the babies arrived and seeing the parents crying just made me so excited for our arrival! Then I watched another episode that included a couple who had IVF (my baby is IVF) so that brought some feelings of sadness as we were in the same position as them, feeling like everything that happens turns to crap! That’s us all over. But it was beautiful to see that she had the baby, no issues and from the view of filming it looked like it happened quite fast which must of been nice for her. The 2nd couple in this episode, we’re teenagers, the mums waters had broke at 18 weeks, they call PPROM, preterm premature rupture of membranes. (I had the same at 23+4, now 28 weeks, no further developments since). Mum was in hospital for 4 weeks, and at 28 weeks they put her on medication to encourage labour, she ended up giving birth to a baby boy soon after , they showed everything , bar blurring out the lady parts. Watching him come out , and looking so tiny and vulnerable absolutely broke me. I was crying so much I couldn’t breathe at one point!
When I had my PPROM, I was told that if baby was to arrive this early that his chances of survival are pretty low, I took it quite well at the time, but looking back i must of been in a daze and only recently have I realised how serious it would be if he came this early!
I carried on watching just because I wanted to see what happens next when they take the baby to NICU, i broke down again seeing him in his incubator being kept alive by machines, I was in complete awe of the parents who were only 17 and 18, they were so strong and held it together so well. After 4 days he sadly passed away, again I absolutely broke down, I had to stop watching and go and sort myself out, it really hit home that this could happen to my baby if he was to come this week. If I can’t cope watching someone else’s baby in NICU, then how am I gonna cope with my own if it happens?
I think my anxiety is pretty heightened at the moment, as is everyone’s because of the restrictions. I certainly wouldn’t be watching as much TV as I do right now, I’d be out and about, and even working on the frontline as a NHS worker, but I am doing an admin role at home till after maternity to keep me safe. I’m finding it difficult stuck in the same 4 walls for work and winding down time, gives me time to research stuff and watch programmes like this!
I appreciate it’s real life, that’s why I wanted to watch some episodes to get a glimpse of what it’ll be like, but duck it’s hit me like a ton of bricks!
I can’t stop thinking about it! Going into my 3rd trimester, a tired blubbering mess 😥
I hope that I can move on from what I’ve seen, and focus on keeping baby inside and me in a good place!

P.S, i have a 28 week scan today, which I’m looking forward too.Hopefully have some good news regarding my placenta moving and his weight is good!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 6
Hope it’s ok for me to join! I’ve just found out a few days ago that I’m about 4 weeks pregnant with my second child. So excited! My daughter is nearly 7 and is desperate for a sibling. Not planning on telling her until we’ve had a scan but that seems like such a long time away!

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Hope it’s ok for me to join! I’ve just found out a few days ago that I’m about 4 weeks pregnant with my second child. So excited! My daughter is nearly 7 and is desperate for a sibling. Not planning on telling her until we’ve had a scan but that seems like such a long time away!
Of course join in I am very early too and it does seem a long time but take each day as it comes!! Congratulations! I am in a similar position my partner has a son who is 6 And we won’t be telling him until after the 12 weeks scan. My concern is that he won’t be happy about it and he has a very volatile relationship with his mother. Long story short she tries her best to hinder their relationship.
Your daughter will be so excited when you tell her it will be worth the wait. I have told my close family but none of my friends and it is hard not to say 🤫

C
No unfortunately they didn’t give me an explanation but they just said it might go away and not to worry unless it’s a lot of blood.

Now I’ve seen the heartbeat I feel I can relax a bit more.
Congratulations was it like moving up and down I feel like the nurse didn’t explain it to me that well but it’s a wonderful feeling really happy for you 🥲 x

Reactions: 4

So I posted a few days ago about watching ‘one born every minute’ a few of you said to watch it, few of you said to avoid.
I decided to watch a couple just to see what it was like, I didn’t start from the beginning just randomly picked a couple of episodes, the first episode was lovely, I cried happy tears when the babies arrived and seeing the parents crying just made me so excited for our arrival! Then I watched another episode that included a couple who had IVF (my baby is IVF) so that brought some feelings of sadness as we were in the same position as them, feeling like everything that happens turns to crap! That’s us all over. But it was beautiful to see that she had the baby, no issues and from the view of filming it looked like it happened quite fast which must of been nice for her. The 2nd couple in this episode, we’re teenagers, the mums waters had broke at 18 weeks, they call PPROM, preterm premature rupture of membranes. (I had the same at 23+4, now 28 weeks, no further developments since). Mum was in hospital for 4 weeks, and at 28 weeks they put her on medication to encourage labour, she ended up giving birth to a baby boy soon after , they showed everything , bar blurring out the lady parts. Watching him come out , and looking so tiny and vulnerable absolutely broke me. I was crying so much I couldn’t breathe at one point!
When I had my PPROM, I was told that if baby was to arrive this early that his chances of survival are pretty low, I took it quite well at the time, but looking back i must of been in a daze and only recently have I realised how serious it would be if he came this early!
I carried on watching just because I wanted to see what happens next when they take the baby to NICU, i broke down again seeing him in his incubator being kept alive by machines, I was in complete awe of the parents who were only 17 and 18, they were so strong and held it together so well. After 4 days he sadly passed away, again I absolutely broke down, I had to stop watching and go and sort myself out, it really hit home that this could happen to my baby if he was to come this week. If I can’t cope watching someone else’s baby in NICU, then how am I gonna cope with my own if it happens?
I think my anxiety is pretty heightened at the moment, as is everyone’s because of the restrictions. I certainly wouldn’t be watching as much TV as I do right now, I’d be out and about, and even working on the frontline as a NHS worker, but I am doing an admin role at home till after maternity to keep me safe. I’m finding it difficult stuck in the same 4 walls for work and winding down time, gives me time to research stuff and watch programmes like this!
I appreciate it’s real life, that’s why I wanted to watch some episodes to get a glimpse of what it’ll be like, but duck it’s hit me like a ton of bricks!
I can’t stop thinking about it! Going into my 3rd trimester, a tired blubbering mess 😥
I hope that I can move on from what I’ve seen, and focus on keeping baby inside and me in a good place!

P.S, i have a 28 week scan today, which I’m looking forward too.Hopefully have some good news regarding my placenta moving and his weight is good!
Sorry to hear this!! This is why I don’t watch that show, as a medic I already know the worse case scenarios and I know it wont help me seeing it (the first birth I ever saw as a medical student was a crash section and the baby needed CPR, thankfully both mum and baby were perfectly fine but it skewed my idea of what birth is like!!)
There’s a fab film that might cheer you up and help you see past the birth; it’s called Babies. I think it’s on Netflix but it’s a while since I saw it. Trailer below - it has no dialogue or narration, it follows four babies in their first year of life from four totally different cultures (Japan, San Francisco, Mongolia and Namibia) and it’s really lovely to watch. The babies are also incredibly cute!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Sorry to hear this!! This is why I don’t watch that show, as a medic I already know the worse case scenarios and I know it wont help me seeing it (the first birth I ever saw as a medical student was a crash section and the baby needed CPR, thankfully both mum and baby were perfectly fine but it skewed my idea of what birth is like!!)
There’s a fab film that might cheer you up and help you see past the birth; it’s called Babies. I think it’s on Netflix but it’s a while since I saw it. Trailer below - it has no dialogue or narration, it follows four babies in their first year of life from four totally different cultures (Japan, San Francisco, Mongolia and Namibia) and it’s really lovely to watch. The babies are also incredibly cute!

Omg that looks so sweet and would definitely cheer me up! Il see if I can get it on Netflix ! Thank you xx

Reactions: 2

!!Continuing the trigger warning for anyone that doesn't particularly feel like reading about the above topics!!

I know this episode really well. We've talked about it at work over and over. As a NICU nurse, I have mixed feelings about it - it's a very realistic, stark look at what premature babies face, but I also think it can be very traumatic for parents to be. As a mum of 3 preemies, it made me sob too. That couple were so brave, and so strong together.

The very good news is that premature babies now live from much earlier gestations, with more complications, at lower weights, with far fewer long term complications. This gets better year on year. Research is developing, our understanding is growing. Babies now survive (and thrive!) in situations that they never would have previously. Our care is getting better and better, and will only continue to do so. I cannot speak highly enough of the dedication that my colleagues have to their jobs, that the doctors have to learning and developing their skills. There are some incredible stories that come out of the NICU. Caring for premature babies is often very humbling - they are the most resilient, adaptable, amazing little souls.

None of that helped me when it was my babies, in all honesty. Sometimes I wonder if it was worse because I knew more. With our boys, they had fairly straightforward times in the NICU and it was easier. With our girl it was a completely different story. At 30 weeks, and after a crash c-section with a large blood loss, I was just in shock. I had gone in with some abdominal pain and reduced fetal movements and a tiny amount of pink bleeding, and then her heart tracing was very poor, I bled more and suddenly I was being put to sleep. I was still unwell when they took me to see her, and she was so tiny, and so unwell herself, and all my nurse brain could tell me was that my colleagues were being kind to me, but I could read their faces. My husband was so encouraging, he was so positive (looking back, I think he was just so relieved we were both alive) but at the time, I can remember looking him in the eyes and telling him she was going to die, that he was being so stupid, that she was too small and too sick. I think I refused to bond with her initially because I was convinced she wasn't going to make it, and I wasn't setting myself up for that kind of hurt. It sounds insane now but it is very common with NICU parents - it is self protection. It is a traumatic place, most people have a traumatic pregnancy and/or birth that leads to a NICU admission, and even once they are born, it can be a real rollercoaster of a journey of constant ups and downs, sometimes very suddenly. It took until she was about a month old before I finally let myself start to believe she wasn't going anywhere. It still took months for me to really love her. It's a horrible admission that I hate myself for, and I adore her now 5 year old (very feisty!) self but it is the truth. I think people are so quick to paper over traumatic events, and it does nothing for improving your mental health.

My experiences really made me reflect on what it must be like for NICU parents in a way I maybe hadn't understood before. I always try and think of what I needed or wanted in those moments when I give advice. The biggest thing I think is understanding without dramatising or scaring yourself. Understanding that things could turn out one way, but that there are so many other ways too. I don't think it helps to see that on TV or in movies because although it's real stories, it's not always portrayed in a way that helps those that want it to. Could you speak to your consultant and ask to have a chat with the neonatal team at your local unit? They are usually very understanding and good people to speak to. Usually we offer unit tours to parents of babies that may end up under our care. Right now I know our unit is doing it through a Teams meeting and camera to let people see. Sometimes knowing all the facts (without the drama of good TV) can help you feel a little calmer and more confident. Please try to set time aside each day to speak to your baby. When you feel afraid or worried, try writing a letter to your baby. Normally, when you start writing it out, you realise that this fear and anxiety comes from such a deep love, and with my subsequent pregnancy, it certainly helped me to focus on that love, on my baby, on all the things that were good. We were one week forward. He was still wiggling away. I'd bought a daft outfit for him. His siblings had picked his name.

Sending you a big cuddle. Please make sure you speak with your midwife about how you are feeling. It is such a difficult path to walk, having a complicated pregnancy. You're going to be the best mum to your little bundle ❤

Sandwiching this with a bit of oxytocin:

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.