Pregnancy #12 the joys of pregnancy (and eating)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Anyone who is hoping to/has breastfed, what pumps are best? It’s a minefield out there haha. I think I want an electric but there’s lots to choose from! Do the single pumps make much of difference from the double ones?
I think it depends on how much you want to express. I’ve had a tommee tippee manual which was rubbish, and an avant electric which was very good, but I used them very sporadically, and not at all with no3&4. If you’ll need to express often a double may well be worth it. If it’s just for very occasional use, a single is probably enough. A hakkaa may be good as well if it’s just for occasional use.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Following on from the bf chat....should you wait to see you're able to bf before getting a pump? Or is it one of those things that you should have for the baby being born?

Reactions: 2
Anyone who is hoping to/has breastfed, what pumps are best? It’s a minefield out there haha. I think I want an electric but there’s lots to choose from! Do the single pumps make much of difference from the double ones?
I've had quite a few pumps, depends what your looking for, hospital grade pumps are really good somthing like the spectra s2 as that doesn't need to be plugged in whilst using it, and for handsfree pumping then the Elvie I prefer double pumps but depends on how much you plan on pumping, definitely invest in a haakka to put on the other boob when you are breastfeeding or single pumping so you don't waste any of that liquid gold!

Following on from the bf chat....should you wait to see you're able to bf before getting a pump? Or is it one of those things that you should have for the baby being born?
Again I think it depends on what you plan to do with it (obviously pump 🤣 but how often). If you know you’ll want to pump lots then you can buy it beforehand. If you’re thinking of getting one just because they are one of those things you should have, I would hold off. Amazon will have you covered if you decide you really need it. But honestly, I’ve had two and realistically didn’t need them at all. I prefer just being with my baby all the time (helicopter parent🙈) and then by the time they are 8 months or so I could always leave them for 2-3hrs and they’d be fine.

Reactions: 3
I also have an awful hip even before I was pregnant and I think that is what has caused my spd to be so bad can’t wait to have some naproxen I hope the pain goes away after the baby arrives xxx

I’m going to have a go at breast feeding and see how I go but don’t think I’ll be away from the baby for a while. Seen the elvie ones online and thought they look amazing if I wanted to pump if I didn’t fancy breast feeding while out at lunch or something. Just been on amazon they are so expensive! Are they worth it?

Has anyone tried perineal massage yet? It was mentioned on a few talks on the baby show about starting it at 35 weeks and my friend who is a midwife has recommended me to try it. Just wondering if anyone has and how easy/difficult it is. I'm a few weeks off 35 weeks yet but would love to hear others opinions x
I started last week (at 36 weeks), my midwife told me to sit on the toilet and do it which I've found fairly easy but then again my bump is quite small! I've been doing it twice a week using coconut oil. One of my friends did it and was the only one out of the people in her antenatal group that didn't tear. May just be a coincidence but if there's a chance it might help, might aswell do it!

Reactions: 2
I’m going to have a go at breast feeding and see how I go but don’t think I’ll be away from the baby for a while. Seen the elvie ones online and thought they look amazing if I wanted to pump if I didn’t fancy breast feeding while out at lunch or something. Just been on amazon they are so expensive! Are they worth it?
I didn't bf ....I may this time round, I'm really not sure but my sister did with all 4 of hers and I remember her saying the pumps were so expensive but then she thought about how much she had saved on formula and it completely justified it for her......I always thought it was a very valid point!

Reactions: 6
I’ve bought a Medela swing flex - wanted the Elvie but just couldn’t justify the price tag! Don’t even know if I’ll be able to BF but if I can I want my husband to be able to give the baby a bottle from time to time. Sod’s law the baby will hate the bottle or something - who knows! 🤣

I’m also planning on getting the Purflo nest thing. I like the fact it’s safer for daytime naps if nothing else. I read in to why they were no longer recommended and found it quite interesting as in every case that a baby nest was involved in a baby death, there were other factors at play too. There were seven non UK cases of infant death using a baby nest but all of those occurred when parents were cosleeping and had the nest in the bed with them. And around 10 others prior to 2010 where baby’s position and blankets were also a factor but they have to report that these nests were involved in the very tragic circumstances. Isn’t it a bit like banning rubber rings because some people didn’t bother to inflate them and drowned?

Reactions: 5
I didn't bf ....I may this time round, I'm really not sure but my sister did with all 4 of hers and I remember her saying the pumps were so expensive but then she thought about how much she had saved on formula and it completely justified it for her......I always thought it was a very valid point!
That’s a great way to look at it! I might wait and see how I get on then can always order on Amazon

I would personally wait re pumps and it’s a mine field even when you know if you’re going to be bf. I actually got on ok with the Tommee Tippee manual one. An Amazon bargain double (Bella baby) was quite good but definitely need a pump bra as it’s hard to sit there holding them on. The Medela hospital one was easy to use. The best was a single wireless one I just got from Amazon for something crazy like £11. The thing is different nipple sizes need different flange sizes etc
The Hakka is no good to me, I never get anything from the other boob while feeding/pumping from one but it’s absolutely sworn by by many mums. Same way I have loads of breast pads now because I never leak personally while others can leak ozs. Wait and see what your flow is like and Amazon has you covered with next day delivery. It’s definitely not something you need from day 1 and you actually don’t want to mess about with your supply in the first few weeks

Reactions: 7
I’m also planning on getting the Purflo nest thing. I like the fact it’s safer for daytime naps if nothing else. I read in to why they were no longer recommended and found it quite interesting as in every case that a baby nest was involved in a baby death, there were other factors at play too. There were seven non UK cases of infant death using a baby nest but all of those occurred when parents were cosleeping and had the nest in the bed with them. And around 10 others prior to 2010 where baby’s position and blankets were also a factor but they have to report that these nests were involved in the very tragic circumstances. Isn’t it a bit like banning rubber rings because some people didn’t bother to inflate them and drowned?
Looks like you have done quite a bit of research I can’t bare to read anything negative as I have only just began to enjoy being pregnant as all I have done is cry and worry until probably 24 weeks. Thank you for writing this though because sometimes you buy things thinking they are good but in reality they aren’t so I think I will get the pureflo one just so she is cosy x

Just went for a wax and the lady that does it asked me again when I’m due. When I said start of October she said oh you’re quite big already then, are you sure it’s not twins?

🙄🙄🙄 thanks 🙄🙄🙄

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 11
Super naive question- do you have to pump if you’re breastfeeding?

Super naive question- do you have to pump if you’re breastfeeding?
No, not at all 😊 I’ve ebf all 4 of my kids, and pumped once or twice with the older two, and not at all with no3, nor do I plan to with No4. I prefer to be with them all the time so don’t need to. I felt with no1&2 like I had to for some reason, but my kids never would take a bottle.

I would personally wait re pumps and it’s a mine field even when you know if you’re going to be bf. I actually got on ok with the Tommee Tippee manual one. An Amazon bargain double (Bella baby) was quite good but definitely need a pump bra as it’s hard to sit there holding them on. The Medela hospital one was easy to use. The best was a single wireless one I just got from Amazon for something crazy like £11. The thing is different nipple sizes need different flange sizes etc
The Hakka is no good to me, I never get anything from the other boob while feeding/pumping from one but it’s absolutely sworn by by many mums. Same way I have loads of breast pads now because I never leak personally while others can leak ozs. Wait and see what your flow is like and Amazon has you covered with next day delivery. It’s definitely not something you need from day 1 and you actually don’t want to mess about with your supply in the first few weeks
Fab advice 👍🏻👍🏻

Just went for a wax and the lady that does it asked me again when I’m due. When I said start of October she said oh you’re quite big already then, are you sure it’s not twins?

🙄🙄🙄 thanks 🙄🙄🙄
My bleeping stupid auntie said this to me too how about don’t be so mean honestly infuriates me I either get oh you look massive are you having twins or how are you nearly 30 weeks! Regardless we have mini people inside of us and we should be proud ignore her stupid woman. My partner is always very complementary to me abs it makes up for when I feel tit or large my swelling feet and hands is what is begging me down the most if I’m honest xx

Reactions: 5
My bleeping stupid auntie said this to me too how about don’t be so mean honestly infuriates me I either get oh you look massive are you having twins or how are you nearly 30 weeks! Regardless we have mini people inside of us and we should be proud ignore her stupid woman. My partner is always very complementary to me abs it makes up for when I feel tit or large my swelling feet and hands is what is begging me down the most if I’m honest xx
Yeah me too I’m lucky my partner keeps telling me I look good (even if he’s just being nice 😂)

I wouldn’t mind but I didn’t even think I was that big until she said it! But you’re right we’re growing a whole baby so obviously we’ll be getting bigger 🙄

Feel you on the swelling feet, that was a nightmare when it got really hot last week!

• Heart
Baby boys tummy was measuring on the border of being classed as big so now have to do glucose tests at home for the next week

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.