Popular expressions/words that need to be banned.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I hate referring to a woman's female friends as "girlfriends." It's unnecessary; why not just say friends? It feels a bit patronising, since we don't refer to male friends as "boyfriends." And since most of the women in my circle of friends are bi or lesbians, when a woman talks about a "girlfriend" I assume she means someone she's dating
I am a lesbian, and quite often refer to my partner as my girlfriend. I don't really like "partner" because it just feels cold and random. But then again "girlfriend" sounds just a little silly for a grown woman to say. I do like "companion" but that sounds too formal.:rolleyes:

Reactions: 3
Using ‘if that makes sense’ in situations where no one could have been confused.
‘I’m not hungry now so I’ll just have dinner later if that makes sense.’
Well gosh, thanks for checking with me that I was able comprehend your brain teaser there.
Yes and also "if you know what i mean". One of my closest friends has taken to using that after everything she says. "I was freezing this morning at the bus stop, if you know what i mean" - well yes mate, i do unless that's a hell of a euphemism in which case i've not got a clue!!

The phrase that kills me (and i think i'm being irrational possibly) is when people say blah blah blah "springs to mind"! People use it all the time and it just makes me really annoyed!

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I hate it when people say "life is what you make it" or the ever constructive cliche "pull yourself together" when you are extremely upset over something.

Reactions: 7
I hate it when people say "life is what you make it" or the ever constructive cliche "pull yourself together" when you are extremely upset over something.
yes! as if somehow a crappy sitatution can be good if you have a "positive attitude". and the people who usually say this are the ones with a good/easy life

Reactions: 5
'Bad boy'...for example:

'Have you seen McDonald's have a Celebrations Mcflurry coming out? Can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy'.

• Haha
"Worse things happen at sea." Like what? What are you even talking about? If I'm in the depths of despair I'm not going to say "hey, at least I'm not about to be shipwrecked / abducted by pirates / fall overboard" and cheer up again

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Maybe it's because I'm Irish and this seems to a very British term, with "poorly" (i.e. my son is feeling poorly today). But I hate that word for some reason.

Other ones I hate include:
Methinks
Holibops
Hubs/Hubby/Hubster

By the same token
Fair enough
Babes
Cheer up it might never happen

Blame the first 2 on my ex, used to say them a lot which irritated the bejesus out of me. Babes- I use a pisstake now because so many people used to use it. Also cheer up because it’s the most irritating saying when you’re going through tit times

Reactions: 1
In a bad mood; these are the words/phrases that piss me off today:

At the end of the day
Overusing the word ‘literally’
Thundercunt
Cock Womble

I feel like I have found my home finding this thread 😁

I have to defend something I see being said a lot though and that's Hubby - as someone with a slight lisp I find husband very uncomfortable to say so I have to admit I say hubby the whole time 🙈 please don't hate me.

• Haha
"Worse things happen at sea." Like what? What are you even talking about? If I'm in the depths of despair I'm not going to say "hey, at least I'm not about to be shipwrecked / abducted by pirates / fall overboard" and cheer up again
this reminds me of my MOST hated ever phrase, "it could be worse"... yeh pretty much always it could be worse, life is not a race to the bottom and suffering is not a competition

By the same token
Fair enough
Babes

Blame the first 2 on my ex, used to say them a lot which irritated the bejesus out of me. Babes- I use a pisstake now because so many people used to use it. Also cheer up because it’s the most irritating saying when you’re going through tit times
yes, "cheer upi tmight never happen" has, in my experience only been used by men to women? as if we should be constantly prettily smiling. ugh

this reminds me of my MOST hated ever phrase, "it could be worse"... yeh pretty much always it could be worse, life is not a race to the bottom and suffering is not a competition

yes, "cheer upi tmight never happen" has, in my experience only been used by men to women? as if we should be constantly prettily smiling. ugh
Yes it’s ALWAYS a man who says it as if we never have problems too.

"In real time." There's no such thing as "fake" time, is there? This one is so overused and I can't think of any occasion where it's needed instead of "live", "as it happened", "is currently happening", "true events", or "offline"

'I am not ok with that', this girl I work with uses it all the time and about stuff that makes no sense. Like Sean Connery died...her reply...yea I am not ok with that. WTAF!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 5
"Talk to the hand......"

So 00s, and yet it is still gets uttered by the intellectually challenged:rolleyes:

Last edited:
  • Haha
'I am not ok with that', this girl I work with uses it all the time and about stuff that makes no sense. Like Sean Connery died...her reply...yea I am not ok with that. WTAF!!!
Yeah I find it annoying too. Together with "and I'm here for it" e.g.: my hair is so long now and I'm totally here for it

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Maybe it's because I'm Irish and this seems to a very British term, with "poorly" (i.e. my son is feeling poorly today). But I hate that word for some reason.

Other ones I hate include:
Methinks
Holibops
Hubs/Hubby/Hubster
I hate poorly too! I’d just say unwell/ sick /ill, Nobody really says it in my (British) city but kept hearing it on TV possibly Coronation St 🤮

By the same token
Fair enough
Babes

Do we share an ex? He used to say by the same token a lot, I’d never even heard it before plus he had a regional accent and the way he said token grated on me 😂 he also used to say ‘hang fire’ which annoyed me and ‘definately’

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.