Popular expressions/words that need to be banned.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Anyhoo
Swap out - it’s change
Colourway - what’s wrong with colour?
Would of - it’s would have!
As a person - e.g. “it changed me as a person.” As opposed to what?!

Also I hate the fact that we appear to be losing the “ly” adverbs.
For example - a lot of people would now say “he’s walking slow“ instead of “he’s walking slowly” but perhaps that’s more to do with grammar than banning an expression.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Another one that makes me want to punch people in the face is Boom 🤨

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Anyhoo
Swap out - it’s change
Colourway - what’s wrong with colour?
Would of - it’s would have!
As a person - e.g. “it changed me as a person.” As opposed to what?!

Also I hate the fact that we appear to be losing the “ly” adverbs.
For example - a lot of people would now say “he’s walking slow“ instead of “he’s walking slowly” but perhaps that’s more to do with grammar than banning an expression.
omg yes to all of these, especially would of and the adverb issue (I'm an English teacher so slightly pedantic but these drive me insane!). It is crazy to me that so many native English speakers lack a basic knowledge of English. I teach non-native speakers and they often speak far better than natives. I don't understand how so many people can go to uni, write essays etc and have such poor grammar

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Yes, but I thought it was a Northern thing. It does my nut in. I'm a Londoner who has been living in the North for 7 years. I've noticed not one of my friends down South do it.
I’m a northerner who lived in London for many years and I haven’t heard anybody say it, north or south.

Mahoosive. Only ever said by truly annoying people who think they're being really quirky. It's even made it into the dictionary 😩

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
“Baby dance”

When people in the “TTC” (🤢 another irritating as duck acronym) community constantly talk about “baby dancing”

duck off man!!!! Just say SEX! You had sex.

• Sick
Reactions: 6
Not entirely on topic but there's a fast fashion company called Miss Pap and it just makes me think of cervical smears. I assume it's short for paparazzi in this case, but you think someone would've pointed it out to them when they were deciding on the name.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I’ve realised one that reallly irritates me. When people do the chefs kiss thing. Doubley trebley annoying when they say chefs kiss at the same time! 🤬

• Haha
Not entirely on topic but there's a fast fashion company called Miss Pap and it just makes me think of cervical smears. I assume it's short for paparazzi in this case, but you think someone would've pointed it out to them when they were deciding on the name.
Yes it sounds awful to me too!

Another fast fashion one is "nasty gal", once I ordered from there and had to pick up the package from a hermes shop and they always ask what company its from, felt so stupid saying "nasty gal" 😑 never ordered from them again 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 11
When newspaper websites like the Daily Mail, refer to someone giving birth to a child, as "welcoming" their first child. I find the expression quite toe curling.

Reactions: 6
When newspaper websites like the Daily Mail, refer to someone giving birth to a child, as "welcoming" their first child. I find the expression quite toe curling.
On similar lines I hate it when couples say 'we're pregnant'. No, she is.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
not exactly an expression, but watching a random food video on you tube, when people "cheers" with food. I think it is maybe more of an American thing but inevitably people here will end up doing the same

Haven’t read all the thread so I’m sure all mine have already been said but I need to get this off my chest!!

Fam, famalam etc
Bestie
Broseph
“The boy”, “my girl”, “this one” and all similar variations
“We’re” pregnant
Hun (when used with sincerity)
Steaming (as in drunk)
Lads
“Felt cute, might delete later”
White people using AAVE, especially to make a dramatic point when they’re attempting to be “woke”
Woke (ha)
“Alexa, play...” (insert inane comment here)

Also people who don’t correct their autocorrect writing the incorrect word for them (ha), so as an example, when everyone writes “defiantly” instead of “definitely” because they think definitely is spelt with an ‘a’ so they start typing and autofill/correct writes defiantly. DRIVES ME NUTS because it makes no sense - “I defiantly will, hun”

Reactions: 7
"So...."
"Can I get.."

Whenever I hear or read those I feel like grabbing the nearest axe and doing bloody murder!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.