Popular expressions/words that need to be banned #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't know how to phrase this: maybe I should say deliberately misleading statements? Like how my mum's boyfriend always said "I left home when I was 7" because he was sent to boarding school. Hardly the same, is it; you had people taking care of you the whole time. Or a woman I know who claims she "hasn't had a job in 30 years." She is a freelance artist, self-employed but still working. Her art is still her job

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Not gonna lie. I just despise it! Perhaps it’s because I work with children, teaching them English, but I hate all this gonna/wanna nonsense! It is going to and want to, for crying out loud!
I despise this one too! Why would someone need to tell you they're not going to lie to you before they tell you something. Surely that goes without saying 🤷

Reactions: 8
The way some younger people talk is so generic. There is a constant overuse of a narrow band of adjectives and adverbs. It saddens me as it weakens our language. English has such a plethora of words to describe the world and our feelings - many more than other languages - so to hear our treasured tongue, built up through hundreds of years, reduced to a patois is disheartening.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
My fiancé is American and likes to follow everything with "ass": "old ass clothes", "boring ass lecture", "long ass traffic jam." I find it absolutely infuriating and when he does it, I follow up with "what are ass-clothes?" Which annoys him :LOL:

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 15
"im SCREAMING" Are you? I can give you something to scream over

Often comes from the same people who cannot get through a sentence without "literally"

• Haha
Calling anything “bad boy” eg a burger.🤬

Calling anything “cheeky” eg I went for a cheeky pint. 🤬🤬

• Haha
  • Sick
"I'm fuming". No one is every angry anymore, they are always "fuming". Or if it's one of the spag bowl crew, "fumming" :ROFLMAO:

See also: "Discusted".

• Haha
Reactions: 11
"I'm fuming". No one is every angry anymore, they are always "fuming". Or if it's one of the spag bowl crew, "fumming" :ROFLMAO:

See also: "Discusted".
Or even worse, “fewmin”. Genuinely want to throw my phone out of the window when I read that 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 2
I was looking on a furniture website recently and the top search was 'Chester draws' i kid you not

• Haha
  • Wow
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.