Planting Flowers, Fruit & Veg

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hey guys,

Can anyone advise about a wild flower issue?

I planted the seed bombs and I've had lots of green plants/stems sprout up. There's now so many I can't tell what's a weed and what's a potential flower. There's no indication of flower heads popping up either.

I haven't grown these before and I'm just wondering how long they're meant to take or if anyone's experienced this before? 😊

Reactions: 2
Hey guys,

Can anyone advise about a wild flower issue?

I planted the seed bombs and I've had lots of green plants/stems sprout up. There's now so many I can't tell what's a weed and what's a potential flower. There's no indication of flower heads popping up either.

I haven't grown these before and I'm just wondering how long they're meant to take or if anyone's experienced this before? 😊
Perhaps if you put a picture up we could help you identify? I also tend to use google lense to identify plants!

Reactions: 1
Perhaps if you put a picture up we could help you identify? I also tend to use google lense to identify plants!
I did have one and then deleted it as it's way too dark right now to show you. I'll try and take one tomorrow morning.

I use that app too. I was impressed at first but then kept getting results that definitely weren't right :/

ETA - Not Google lens sorry, I've used the plant identification app. Lens is probably more reliable tbf! I'll do that when I can too.

Reactions: 1
First courgettes of the year.. went away for the weekend and came back to a marrow and what looks like two bananas 😂
6F8E3F3A-261B-41A6-B9BB-641BDB2FA5DC.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Totally fell off this thread. My sunflowers are doing well! Unfortunately my forget me nots didn't, possibly because I used multi purpose compost and not one specifically for seeds 😔
20210626_162943.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Planted this Sea Lavender back in April, it's huge :oops: Nice, unusual flowers.
20210703_121113.jpg

These little ball shaped things are Allums, should look like a puffball shape on a stalk when they open, think they'll be a pink/red colour. Planted way back in April too.
20210703_121026.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Ooh it’s been a tough old season - the slugs and snails are savaging everything, I don’t think we saw a single one last year. This was a mini harvest earlier this week, we planted a mix of beetroot seeds, but they’ve all turned out to be this pale yellow one 😂
19823DC0-0D73-4E4F-A837-C701193D3B45.jpeg

Reactions: 7
I’ve grown some of the most pathetic sunflowers you’ve ever seen 😅 the flowers are so pretty but they’re only about 2ft high! Not going to win any competitions with these!

• Haha
Reactions: 4
20210721_153829.jpg

My lovely purple peas. Although I was a bit surprised that the pods are purple but the peas inside are green. The flowers are a lovely pink/purple colour too

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Allums are turning a nice colour now
20210722_110956.jpg

Can't go wrong with Geraniums, when a flower turns brownish just take it off & it flourishes
20210722_110832.jpg

Clematis are competing with the Marjoram in taking over this sort of wild area which I try to hold back with canes 😀
20210722_110920.jpg

Reactions: 3
This is the best thread I have found for my question and I hope someone can help me 😭

I got a Pink Quill a while ago and since then it has flowered and is slowly starting to brown. There seems to be a smaller pup growing to the side of it (though it has not yet emerged as a pink 'flower') and I'm just wondering if I should cut the parent plant off or wait for it to brown completely?

Also, if a pup does emerge when should I cut that off?

There's so much conflicting information online about the plant's care in general so any advice is welcome

This is the best thread I have found for my question and I hope someone can help me 😭

I got a Pink Quill a while ago and since then it has flowered and is slowly starting to brown. There seems to be a smaller pup growing to the side of it (though it has not yet emerged as a pink 'flower') and I'm just wondering if I should cut the parent plant off or wait for it to brown completely?

Also, if a pup does emerge when should I cut that off?

There's so much conflicting information online about the plant's care in general so any advice is welcome
I don't know that particular plant but I normally go by the fact that plants keep putting their energy into dying blooms, taking those dying blooms off directs the energy into the new blooms so you get more flowers . So for me, if the flower head isn't looking good anymore then off it comes.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
At last these bulbs have grown, planted back in April. I was convinced nothing would appear, oh me of little faith.
'Brodiaea'
20210727_112108.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 6
A gardening thread! Fantastic!

Really pleased with our Annabelle Hydrangeas this year. It’s hard to tell the scale in the photo, but the flower heads are huge. I love hydrangeas.

61591BC1-30E3-4C66-A97B-BDECCAFE03CB.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Had hoped to do some gardening today but it’s rained all day.
I have taken some cuttings to propagate which I’ve not done before so fingers crossed they root.

What has everyone else been up to?

Harvested my first crop of Runner Beans today and delicious they were too. These are my favourite vegetable and I always put a bit of butter on them before eating. I am so pleased with how my beans have turned out, have never grown them before. I planted the bean pods straight into the soil, early May. There are lots of flowers on them too and wonderful to see the Bees pollinate them also.

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 2