Planting Flowers, Fruit & Veg

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If you love cut flowers that smell great but are not confident try growing sweet peas from seed. You can grow them in baskets, pots or beds The more flowers you cut off the more flowers you will get. They are only small so you need lots of small containers/ vases.
Flowers only last a couple of days but by that time you will have another lot to pick. Don't let them go to seed or they will stop flowering, if you see a seedpod start take it off ( looks like peapods) and only let them go to seed at the end of the flowering season. Then collect the seeds for next year.
Oh I love this idea ☺

Reactions: 2
Oh I love this idea ☺
Don't forget sweetpeas need support. So wigwams in pots or training to climb up the chains of baskets etc

i want to do some ''gardening'' on my balcony - does maybe someone have some tips specifically for this? :)
at the moment i have 2 chinese money plants, 1 houseleek, 1 purple queen and 1 pot of chilli peppers. i'd like to have more fruit and veg!
Have you seen the lovely pots and troughs you can get to hang on the balcony you can double up and have them inside and outside the railings? Also, get holders so you can have things on the walls. baskets or hanging grow bag type.

I have used these for strawberries, tomatoes and trailing flowers Amazon product

There are loads of really useful things now for balcony growing.

Last edited:
Sorry to jump on the thread, but my partner and I recently bought a house. The house is a relatively new house and the fencing is the fencing that was erected when the house was built. The previous owners painted the fence a really dark reddish brown colour and I hate it and dont want to look it any longer. I would like to paint it grey but im not sure if i am allowed to do so. I have looked at our deeds and its not mentioned, just that we must keep it treated. We have a frosty relationship with our adjoining neighbour, shes lived in the house since it was built and seems to think she owns the street (complained about what time I left for work!!) so I dont particularly want to ask them if they are ok with me painting our side. Ive looked online but as it is not a fence thats either of us has put up, im really unsure on what to do.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Paint it what colour you want. just try not to brush too hard where the joins are or it will go through their side.

Just enjoy your new home

Reactions: 5
I think you are entitled to paint your own side of the fence, dont bother asking the neighbour, i bet shes acting that way because shes older than you. Dont let her intimidate you, its your house. x

Oh I love this idea ☺
I've made this for when my sweet peas are ready, the pots are all baby strawberrys which I took cuttings from no idea where I will put them😵

They definitely need support and something to climb up as OP said. Good luck ❤

Just realised that the poster is on a balcony so could use trellises inside pots once the are big and established, the small bamboo sticks will be helpful and if they are outside they will naturally gain strength from the wind x

Attachments

I know this thread has been posted on for a while but now that the weather is warming up has everyone been out in the garden?

Reactions: 4
Sorry to jump on the thread, but my partner and I recently bought a house. The house is a relatively new house and the fencing is the fencing that was erected when the house was built. The previous owners painted the fence a really dark reddish brown colour and I hate it and dont want to look it any longer. I would like to paint it grey but im not sure if i am allowed to do so. I have looked at our deeds and its not mentioned, just that we must keep it treated. We have a frosty relationship with our adjoining neighbour, shes lived in the house since it was built and seems to think she owns the street (complained about what time I left for work!!) so I dont particularly want to ask them if they are ok with me painting our side. Ive looked online but as it is not a fence thats either of us has put up, im really unsure on what to do.
If it is your fence and it should be marked out on your Deeds (the document you received from Land Registry), then you can do whatever you wish to the fence. If it is your neighbours fence, then either ask her if she wouldn’t mind you painting it, or just leave well alone.

The problem with fences in gardens of Britain is that even if you have a detached house, you are still obliged to share your fence with your neighbours. If I had my way, I would have my own fences and they have their own too, saves arguments in the long run!

I know this thread has been posted on for a while but now that the weather is warming up has everyone been out in the garden?
Yes, been very busy in the garden, sowing seeds, pricking out seedlings and planting up perennials and climbers.

Alternatively, if the fence does belong to your neighbour, you could always plant climbers against it to hide the colour. I would suggest an evergreen Jasmine called Trachelospermum jasminoides. Other alternatives are clematis, honeysuckle, climbing roses, etc.

I think you are entitled to paint your own side of the fence, dont bother asking the neighbour, i bet shes acting that way because shes older than you. Dont let her intimidate you, its your house. x
You are not entitled if it is not your fence. It is respectful to ask if that is the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
I'm trying to make a sound barrier from next door.

I've been making a water feature and planters with trellis to go up a fence but about 8 inches away so next door can't complain (it's not even hers it's neither of ours as council put it in to stop her moaning and said its both of ours/neither of ours 😂

We’ve got a tree gate situation going on with our neighbours. Us (council house) have a tree in a garden that came with the property. It’s a goat willow tree and drops pussy-willow buds in Spring. They get everywhere and we sweep them up etc. Next door have lived here for 4 years and she’s told us she’s buying her house. She wants the tree cutting down completely as she doesn’t like the buds dropping in her garden - understandable. She’s being quite sly about it though, whenever we’re in the garden, it’s as though she comes out and starts saying ‘oh I hate this tree’. She’s never done it before, it’s as though she’s buying her house and wants the tree gone. It isn’t going over her property boundary. What do we do?

We’ve paid a tree surgeon before to cut it down but obviously, it’s grown back and it’s expensive to do that. We don’t really want the tree cutting down either.

I'm trying to make a sound barrier from next door.

I've been making a water feature and planters with trellis to go up a fence but about 8 inches away so next door can't complain (it's not even hers it's neither of ours as council put it in to stop her moaning and said its both of ours/neither of ours 😂
Well if you both share it and neither of you own it, then yes, I would paint your side of the fence.

We’ve got a tree gate situation going on with our neighbours. Us (council house) have a tree in a garden that came with the property. It’s a goat willow tree and drops pussy-willow buds in Spring. They get everywhere and we sweep them up etc. Next door have lived here for 4 years and she’s told us she’s buying her house. She wants the tree cutting down completely as she doesn’t like the buds dropping in her garden - understandable. She’s being quite sly about it though, whenever we’re in the garden, it’s as though she comes out and starts saying ‘oh I hate this tree’. She’s never done it before, it’s as though she’s buying her house and wants the tree gone. It isn’t going over her property boundary. What do we do?

We’ve paid a tree surgeon before to cut it down but obviously, it’s grown back and it’s expensive to do that. We don’t really want the tree cutting down either.
Do what you want. its nothing to do with her. My garden is flooded every year with leaves and I don't have a tree. Cant make everyone cut down a tree.

Well if you both share it and neither of you own it, then yes, I would paint your side of the fence.
My problem is nothing to do with painting it. I'm just making a sound barrier so she cant keep earwigging when I have friends around.

Just because she is buying her house, it does not give her the right to dictate what goes on in other people’s gardens!

She is entitled to remove any overhanging branches in her garden, but that is about it. You could say to her that if she is moaning about the overhanging branches, or the tree itself, she is welcome to contribute to the cost of pruning it. It certainly might shut her up.

Some people who end up buying Council houses can end up having this “little Englander” attitude to those around them. They get it into their heads that because they own their house, they own the street! 😂

Do try and take her down a peg or two, she sounds like her head is creeping too far up her arse! 🤣

Do what you want. its nothing to do with her. My garden is flooded every year with leaves and I don't have a tree. Cant make everyone cut down a tree.

My problem is nothing to do with painting it. I'm just making a sound barrier so she cant keep earwigging when I have friends around.
Sound barrier is good. Climbers against the fence will ensure she cannot peep into your garden either. 😂

• Haha
Just because she is buying her house, it does not give her the right to dictate what goes on in other people’s gardens!

She is entitled to remove any overhanging branches in her garden, but that is about it. You could say to her that if she is moaning about the overhanging branches, or the tree itself, she is welcome to contribute to the cost of pruning it. It certainly might shut her up.

Some people who end up buying Council houses can end up having this “little Englander” attitude to those around them. They get it into their heads that because they own their house, they own the street! 😂

Do try and take her down a peg or two, she sounds like her head is creeping too far up her arse! 🤣
She was knocking on the door this morning but we ignored it! I know she’s coming round to talk about the tree, she cornered me the other week when I was putting the bin out but I rushed back in 😂

She was knocking on the door this morning but we ignored it! I know she’s coming round to talk about the tree, she cornered me the other week when I was putting the bin out but I rushed back in 😂
Oh I would do the same as her. Catch her unawares, then go in and say that she’s welcome to contribute to the cost of pruning it. Also tell her that she is entitled to remove any branches on her side. Other than that, she is welcome to approach the Council about the tree.

Hopefully the Willow will come under a Tree Protection Order, in which case, she will have to deal with the Council for any future prunings, etc. But, I think you should get one step ahead of this madam and ask the Council about the tree and preferably get something in writing. Then you can collar her one day and present her with it. 🤣

In regards to the tree, as it’s not on her soon to be property, she has no say. Tell her this, she can cut any overhang but that’s it and says that’s the end of the matter. We have some very large light blocking trees in our neighbours garden but there is nothing we can do.

My seedlings are doing well, still just a bit frosty to be outside. Need to buy more compost this weekend and plant my sweet peas and courgettes
16192664324532726542000833829943.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I usually try & pick up something for the garden when we go for groceries on a Saturday morning.
Morrisons are doing perennial flowering shrubs for £1 just now, so picked up a couple of cornflower & a variety of lavender.
Bargain(s) 😎

We took on a well establish garden 3 years ago and have made lots of progress. I have found if you catch Aldi’s plants just as then come in they are great. I got some lovely climbers for £1.69 each last week.

I planted my seeds up a few weeks ago in the green house and with the unexpected snow I may have killed some of them off. A few are starting to sprout.