Planting Flowers, Fruit & Veg

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Garlic for me too this weekend. Plus my autumn clear out, weed and get the hardy herbs trimmed, fed and winter ready.

Reactions: 2
I’ve done bulb lasagna pots topped with violas. You put layers of different bulbs a different depths and top with a winter flowering plant. You then get flowers for months one after the other. All over Tik Tok

I'm incandescent with rage! I'm assuming there's no way of knowing how many bulbs have been taken without digging them up. Hope it's just the one. Didn't even finish it
20231118_135334.jpg

• Angry
I feel your pain. It happened to some of my bulb pots too. Never had a problem in previous years.

Same for me last year! What is it do you think? Squirrels? And mine didn't finish any of the bulbs either, had a bite out of loads of them and left them all over the place, looked like they had been playing with them!

• Angry
Reactions: 1
I thought I would experiment with tomatoes in the kitchen.

1000006739.jpg

Reactions: 3
I am so excited that there is a thread about this.
I've lived in a flat for many many years (since moving out) and recently moved to somewhere with a bit of (South facing) garden that I want to put to good use. We couldn't do much to it this year - I planted a a couple of trees and vines, put bulbs in the ground, but the raised beds are a project for early spring. I am not sure whether I want the raised beds (8-10m x 1m) to be just slightly raised (around knee height), raised at different levels or the 80cm affairs that are so trendy at the moment (our new neighbor has those, they are also very $$$). I assume they are pleasant for weeding etc, but must be a right pain to fill, turn, fertilise ... Any recommendations for this noob?

That's some big beds you are planning. Unless you are old and don't want to bend I think 80cm is too much, not many veggies need to go that deep.

Ask all your neighbours if you can have their kitchen waste and throw it in there. Do you have a couple of local restaurants you can approach as well? I think mine are about 30 or 45cm deep and only a couple of m long. Took a lot to fill them. A mixture of horse stuff, compost, garden waste etc. They are great to keep weeded.

Mine are really a bit too small for what I want but I only have a small garden and had to make do.

When building them try and put in some planning for netting to protect stuff from pests while it is all young. Better to do it from the start than have to think about it later.

Just have fun and learn as you go. Oh and post us before, during and after pictures of course :)

When building them try and put in some planning for netting to protect stuff from pests while it is all young. Better to do it from the start than have to think about it later.

Just have fun and learn as you go. Oh and post us before, during and after pictures of course :)
Thanks for the tips. Thats a good point about the netting.
There is a riding school in the next village, we can try there for some manure. We are usually good with brown compost in the fall and wood cuttings.
I want to get all the beds installed in spring, but I might not fully plant all of them the first year. I had a seed advent calendar this year and there are plenty of things I could just try, especially flowers, without to many expectations or much fuss. Tomatoes, strawberries, courgettes, some herbs and salad are what I hope to get right, everything else is just a bonus. And maybe try a potted Cranberry if I can find one.
I also dread finding out how bad it is around here with slugs.

Thanks for the tips. Thats a good point about the netting.
There is a riding school in the next village, we can try there for some manure. We are usually good with brown compost in the fall and wood cuttings.
I want to get all the beds installed in spring, but I might not fully plant all of them the first year. I had a seed advent calendar this year and there are plenty of things I could just try, especially flowers, without to many expectations or much fuss. Tomatoes, strawberries, courgettes, some herbs and salad are what I hope to get right, everything else is just a bonus. And maybe try a potted Cranberry if I can find one.
I also dread finding out how bad it is around here with slugs.
I am going to try nematodes this year. I lost so much to slugs and snails last year. They cost me a fortune in baby plants.

• Heart
I decided to plant some seeds today. Did tomatoes, sweetcorn and sweet peas in propagators. So ready to be spending weekends in the garden in the sunshine.

• Wow
Reactions: 7
I decided to plant some seeds today. Did tomatoes, sweetcorn and sweet peas in propagators. So ready to be spending weekends in the garden in the sunshine.
Same. I saved lots of seeds from random tomatoes I liked and planted them all up. I managed to get 2 tomatoes from my window sill experiment with a small third on the way. Not really worth the effort.

Reactions: 3
I've started a few seed trays, but so much tends to be on the leggy side. I am new to this, but I follow all the advice regarding light, heat maps, fans. I have to remind myself that I don't need everything to make it, I don't need 40 tomato plants, one per variety will be enough, but it's a bit disheartening. The things that do best are the ones that are in old yogurt pots ;) So far I have tomatoes, strawberries, peppers, aubergines, melon and peas on the go. I've planted my onion sets and horseradish outside today - it's early but the weather is suitable.
I have ordered a big utility shelf and will change my setup when it is delivered next week (now its on the floor in my study). If all fails, I can always fall back on nursery plants, but I've already spent a shitload of money on the new garden, it would be nice if I could avoid the stampede at the garden centre.

If you are interested, this is how my garden / raised beds turned out. Hope the weather turns soon so I can sew grass and flowers. And fingers crossed peppermint oil keeps the neighbourhood cat from shitting in my beds.
At the back is an acidic bed with blueberries and cranberries.

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I’ve sown some tomatoes (oxheart, black cherry and tiny Tim from memory) today as they’ll be outdoor plants and some azure fairy fleabane. I’ve got so much to do and my energy is drained atm. I’m hoping to get some red spring onions and summer leaf mix in troughs at the weekend with mini Drifter, and I’m contemplating getting some strawberry plants too.

I used to grow loads and loads, but have had a couple of years off due to ill health, slowly starting again this year though. I don’t have much space (yay for new build tiny gardens 🙄) so I mix them in with pots of flowers and shrubs. I’ve bought a dual pear too for in a half barrel that currently houses a very sad dwarf cherry.

Can anyone recommend a seed for me to plan in my wall and advice how I plant them? This isn’t my house, it’s a one for sale down the road but this is what the wall is like.

Attachments

• Heart