Planting Flowers, Fruit & Veg

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We have eaten all the cherries before the birds got them (did leave half a dozen small ones on the tree for them 😁 )
That heatwave through June must have ripened the cherries quickly, then into July & unseasonal rain/strong winds blew about 7 apples off my tree, the branches were flopping a bit so I decided to hammer a few hook nails into fence & tie branches to nails with garden wire.
The blueberry bush has tons of berries on but unripe.
20230622_131403.jpg

20230622_131414.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 4
How has everyone been getting on this summer? My sweet peas are now starting to grow after being eaten earlier on in the year, hopefully we have some good weather and it isn't too late for them to come to flower. This is the first time in years that I haven't had sweetpeas. My beans have flourished this year with the lack of slugs and snails early on with the dry weather but are now looking a bit battered with the wind. The cornflowers and cosmos are doing very well and the bees are very happy. The carrots have had a very slow start again with something eating the tops but are now looking more successful. The giant varieties of sunflowers haven't grown very tall yet whilst the shorter varieties are coming to flower. Tomatoes are looking good in the polytunnel but cucumbers have got powdery mildew on the leaves though have already given me a fair few cucumbers. I have started some sweetcorns off but think I left it way too late. I had space and decided sweetcorn was what I wanted to do but that was when I thought the weather was going to be good!

Attachments

We've got two cucumbers (out of 5 cucumber plants), a handful of flowers on our 4 tomato plants and about 5 physillis fruits growing. That's it. No melons, no squash, no courgette yet. Pissed off doesn't cover it!

The weather has really affected my veg. Tomatoes have done the best, barely any potatoes so far, courgettes are tiny and my runner beans were demolished by snails! Kale is looking ok and I still have a few buckets of potatoes on the go 🤞

The weather is really hindering my crops. I have had one cucumber (picked today), and one cherry tomato! My courgettes have done well though and I’ve given quite a few away. Did ok from my potatoes but have no more. I only have a small yard so can’t grow as much as I’d like

Not really a good year for most stuff.

I put out my courgettes too early and the slugs got them. My second batch produced 1 courgette and the snails got that.

My gooseberries looked amazing. I went out the next day to get them and the birds had eaten them all.

Strawberries have been meh. Raspberries OK. Beetroots have made no beets.

My green beans have gone demented. My tomatoes are my remaining hope.

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-07 at 17.26.04.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2023-08-07 at 17.32.21.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2023-08-07 at 17.32.40.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2023-08-07 at 17.33.10.jpg

No courgettes, squash or tomatoes here yet. Now have three cucumbers - one stubbornly refusing to grow any bigger and two looking alright.

Has anyone grown Physalis before? We've got about 10 fruits on one of our plants but I have no idea when they'll be ready to pick?

Not quite fruit & veg but I had a visitor today I thought I would share. It was very friendly and hopped across the garden to me.

Attachments

Reactions: 3
Everything seems so late this year. Finally got the seed sprout for my sweetcorn. This time last year I was harvesting them.

How can I get this sycamore sapling out of my lavender without damaging the lavender ? Thanks
I would just use a small hand-held garden fork & work it around the base of the sapling until it can be pulled out.
I don't think you'd damage the Lavender too badly, looks as though the sapling has made it's own space there, maybe just buy another Lavender plant to fill the space left after you get the sapling out?

What a rubbish year in my garden 😭
Potatoes were minimal
No tomatoes
Courgettes did ok, but nothing like normal
No green beans
Sweet peas were poor
Cosmos grew really tall but barely flowered
Camelia looks dead
Even mint has struggled! 🙃

Eurgh. Roll on March.

• Sad
What a rubbish year in my garden 😭
Potatoes were minimal
No tomatoes
Courgettes did ok, but nothing like normal
No green beans
Sweet peas were poor
Cosmos grew really tall but barely flowered
Camelia looks dead
Even mint has struggled! 🙃

Eurgh. Roll on March.
It's been crap hasn't it, can't believe I'm wishing the rest of the year away already 😭

Same. We had so much veg last year I gave some away.
My rhubarb has been the only thing that has thrived this summer.

Reactions: 1
Yep I'm another who's had a tit year gardening wise. Gladioli and rhubarb were great. Strawberries were okayish. Have a few green beans. Carrots should be OK. After that good luck! Not a tomato, radish, beetroot, potato or anything else. Roll on next year

Drying my second batch of tomatoes. Probably another 2 maybe 3 to go. Wish we had some decent sun so I could do outside.

WhatsApp Image 2023-09-01 at 17.07.25.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2023-09-01 at 17.00.09.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Carrots and some weird looking but tasty cucumber. Got some elephant garlic but only one segmented into cloves. Might chuck the others into a broth or stock. Lettuce is still going and sweetcorn doing well.

Attachments

Reactions: 5
Gonna try get my bulbs planted in pots this weekend. Need to get some compost first though. Anyone else x