Planting Flowers, Fruit & Veg

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have started growing cut flowers this year and had lots flowers but I just scattered seeds between other plants and some grew very large and took over other things so I want to organise things better this year I only planted seeds in spring so want to start earlier now and plant seeds this autumn for blooms next spring or even some winter flowering ones any recommendations about what to plant now for succession planting to have blooms all year round
There are gorgeous.

Reactions: 1
My potato plants are done and I gave up on my tomatoes. My runner beans gave me a great crop, but then the plant blew over during the bad weather and got a bit damage, so called in a day with that.

So...I really want use my raised bed to plant something for winter. Any ideas? I'll want it back for veggies come spring though.

Anyone growing corn? I fancy trying that next year.
not sure on winter planting.
Im growing baby corn for the first time. I can see the first tassle coming through so a fair way off any corn yet, I think.

My potato plants are done and I gave up on my tomatoes. My runner beans gave me a great crop, but then the plant blew over during the bad weather and got a bit damage, so called in a day with that.

So...I really want use my raised bed to plant something for winter. Any ideas? I'll want it back for veggies come spring though.

Anyone growing corn? I fancy trying that next year.
We did corn last year and the badgers ate it, apparently they go mad for it 😂 but what we did manage to salvage was good, was easy to grow as well.

Can I ask what people are planting now for Autumn?
I will probably just continue to see what I can pick up when out grocery shopping.
Hopefully get some Cyclamen, Snowdrop, Alpine plants or Winter Pansy to put in my pots/tubs.
Having a google, there's quite a few options for planting in the colder months, might need a trip to a garden centre though as our local Morrison's basically closes it's outdoor section after Autumn if I recall.
I've always liked Bamboo but scared I'd end up choosing a crazy invasive variety 😁
I looked at some this year, took note of the name, searched it & it was bamboo that spreads roots, like 2 or 3 metres horizontally :oops: so never bothered buying any.

Reactions: 2
@Bobby Chariot thank you! I'll have a look at the RHS chart too for ideas. I'd never plant bamboo, heard too many horror stories of it spreading. Maybe it would be ok in a big pot if you like it?

Folks, get down to Home Bargains, packs of 10 mixed Viola/Pansies plugs are £1.49. They look good quality too.
Ideal for Autumn
20210821_173637.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Argh! My tomatoes have got blight. 🤬
Sadly it's one of those years that have not been kind to our gardens. Anyone who just started this year and is feeling crap about it all, this is not the norm.

Very cold long winter, late wet spring, delayed summer, heatwave, torrential wind and rain going back to a heatwave, back to torrential rain and wind and now seems like we are getting an early autumn.

This year is not our year.

Reactions: 6
The only new thing I had luck with was one of the shaker boxes of seeds. I had tons of Love in a Mist, it was so pretty. The seed pods are huge so I can dry them out to plant next year!

Reactions: 3
Lidl are selling Heather for 59p
20210905_135110.jpg

Gladioli have appeared, planted from bulb back in April, is this normal to be so late in flowering?
20210905_140116.jpg

Reactions: 3
How much sun do Tulips really need to flower? I've just moved into my first house with any outdoor space, at the moment I can see there isn't any spot in the yard that gets more than a couple hours direct sunlight, though I guess in March/April it will get a lot more

How much sun do Tulips really need to flower? I've just moved into my first house with any outdoor space, at the moment I can see there isn't any spot in the yard that gets more than a couple hours direct sunlight, though I guess in March/April it will get a lot more
Tulips do best in full sun but can be grown in partial shade too.

I’m going to try bulb lasagne this year. I’ve never done it before but I’ve inherited so many pots from my Dad that I’m going to try to fill a few. I don’t think they will be as good as his displays but I’ll try my best. I’ve also not touched 4 of his bulb planters and I’m hoping they will come up again in spring so that he sends me flowers again. 🥰
Pic below is from March. It was sad that he never saw the fruits of his labour but they gave me so much joy.

3B713928-C6DC-49DB-BA4C-4374A61BC3A3.jpeg

I’ve planted lots of his daffodil bulbs in my garden this week. I’ve lots of his tulip bulbs to plant too but I’ve read you should wait until November to plant in the ground in order to avoid a disease called tulip fire.

I’ve got a bulb order coming from the Netherlands (where else?!) with some more daffodils, tulips, crocus and alliums. I’ve never grown alliums before so I’m looking forward to trying those.
I didn’t realise that not all varieties of tulip are perennials, and they may not flower every year, so I’ve made sure I’ve ordered perennial varieties.

At the weekend I sowed some sweet peas in root trainers in my new greenhouse. Hopefully it will mean an earlier and longer display in the garden next year.

I’ve also sown some winter lettuce and rocket in the greenhouse. They look a bit leggy at the moment though so we shall see…

• Heart
Reactions: 10

I’m going to try bulb lasagne this year. I’ve never done it before but I’ve inherited so many pots from my Dad that I’m going to try to fill a few. I don’t think they will be as good as his displays but I’ll try my best. I’ve also not touched 4 of his bulb planters and I’m hoping they will come up again in spring so that he sends me flowers again. 🥰
Pic below is from March. It was sad that he never saw the fruits of his labour but they gave me so much joy.

View attachment 819109

I’ve planted lots of his daffodil bulbs in my garden this week. I’ve lots of his tulip bulbs to plant too but I’ve read you should wait until November to plant in the ground in order to avoid a disease called tulip fire.

I’ve got a bulb order coming from the Netherlands (where else?!) with some more daffodils, tulips, crocus and alliums. I’ve never grown alliums before so I’m looking forward to trying those.
I didn’t realise that not all varieties of tulip are perennials, and they may not flower every year, so I’ve made sure I’ve ordered perennial varieties.

At the weekend I sowed some sweet peas in root trainers in my new greenhouse. Hopefully it will mean an earlier and longer display in the garden next year.

I’ve also sown some winter lettuce and rocket in the greenhouse. They look a bit leggy at the moment though so we shall see…
I bought some cheap tulip bulbs from lidl, I hope they're ok. Anyway I will update you all anyway in the Spring :)

Reactions: 2
I bought some cheap tulip bulbs from lidl, I hope they're ok. Anyway I will update you all anyway in the Spring :)
Bought all sorts of bulbs from lidl so far and all flowered okay. Bought some more this year.

View attachment 819109

Such a lovely display!

Alliums are lovely. Nice and tall but very sturdy and the seed heads look great for a long time after flowering.

I followed the Sarah Raven bulb lasagne you tube video last year, first time I had done it. Results were fab and Ive planted again this year for the spring. This year I ordered my bulbs from farmer Gracy which is based In Amsterdam, I fancied some different variations. I’m hoping they will give a lovely display

These were the first to bloom in early spring

Attachments

Reactions: 5