Planting Flowers, Fruit & Veg

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A gardening thread! Fantastic!

Really pleased with our Annabelle Hydrangeas this year. It’s hard to tell the scale in the photo, but the flower heads are huge. I love hydrangeas.

View attachment 684755
These look wonderful considering the late frosts we had. I pruned the frost damaged tips off my hydrangea’s and got not flowers. I’ll leave well alone if that happens again!

Reactions: 3
Harvested my first crop of Runner Beans today and delicious they were too. These are my favourite vegetable and I always put a bit of butter on them before eating. I am so pleased with how my beans have turned out, have never grown them before. I planted the bean pods straight into the soil, early May. There are lots of flowers on them too and wonderful to see the Bees pollinate them also.
Superb

Had hoped to do some gardening today but it’s rained all day.
I have taken some cuttings to propagate which I’ve not done before so fingers crossed they root.

What has everyone else been up to?
Home Bargains are selling trays of 6 plugs (chrysanthemum) for £2.99 so picked one up this morning while out shopping.
Should flower for a while yet.
They also had shelves full of wilted Lavender for £1, but never bothered.

Harvested my first crop of Runner Beans today and delicious they were too. These are my favourite vegetable and I always put a bit of butter on them before eating. I am so pleased with how my beans have turned out, have never grown them before. I planted the bean pods straight into the soil, early May. There are lots of flowers on them too and wonderful to see the Bees pollinate them also.
Aren’t the flowers wonderful?
I’ve not had time to grow veg this year, only 3 tomato plants and I think they may have been planted too late.
We’ve had rhubarb, strawberries and raspberries though.

Thank you @Bobby Chariot 😊

@50sGirl You’ve had a decent harvest by the sounds of it though. Yes, I think the runner bean flowers are quite lovely too, plenty of them.

I am also growing tomatoes and spuds. Next year, I am going to try growing Garlic. Searching around for the best varieties, I think the Isle of Wight varieties seem to be popular.

Reactions: 2
These look wonderful considering the late frosts we had. I pruned the frost damaged tips off my hydrangea’s and got not flowers. I’ll leave well alone if that happens again!
We tend to leave the previous years flowers on until the threat of frost has gone and then prune.
A few of our other hydrangeas are still to flower but I have faith. I think the brick wall helps to protect the Annabelle’s from the elements a bit.

Reactions: 4
Been gardening the past 2-3 years. Never thought i’d enjoy it but now i’m obsessed. I find it so good for my mental health. I turned the front garden into a veg and cut flower garden. My tomatoes have done so well this year. They seem to be an early variety which has helped.
The raised beds are surrounded by eucalyptus (coppiced to keep short), lavender, grasses, alliums, verbena.
I’m going to buy some bare root fruit trees at the end of the year and espalier them at the back of my raised beds closest to the house. (6x1.2x1.2m).
C432F99C-523B-4E4C-85B8-621044772347.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Been gardening the past 2-3 years. Never thought i’d enjoy it but now i’m obsessed. I find it so good for my mental health. I turned the front garden into a veg and cut flower garden. My tomatoes have done so well this year. They seem to be an early variety which has helped.
The raised beds are surrounded by eucalyptus (coppiced to keep short), lavender, grasses, alliums, verbena.
I’m going to buy some bare root fruit trees at the end of the year and espalier them at the back of my raised beds closest to the house. (6x1.2x1.2m). View attachment 691914
Wow that looks great and so tidy!

• Heart
@Bereb45 Gardening is certainly addictive and is a great confidence booster, as well as being so absorbing to get stuck into. Your garden looks fab and you will love having the fruit trees. Such a good feeling to harvest your own produce.

Reactions: 8
@Bereb45 Gardening is certainly addictive and is a great confidence booster, as well as being so absorbing to get stuck into. Your garden looks fab and you will love having the fruit trees. Such a good feeling to harvest your own produce.
Yes I agree, I did around 2 hrs in the garden today, just cutting the grass, tidying things a little, removed a couple of plants from pots & put the 6-pack of Chrysanthemums I got in Home Bargains, in their place.
It felt theraputic after, just sat with a coffee & pottering about.
Gardening is great for taking any stress out of the mind, I find.

Thank you. I’ve over planted so some things have been shaded out but it’s been great. The back garden has been neglected mind 😅

Reactions: 2
What’s everyone been up to?
I’ve been tidying up my strawberry bed and potting on the runners. Once they take I’ll remove some of the older strawberry plants to make way for the new ones.

My mum has an allotment. She has tomatoes, peppers, onions, corn, strawberries, courgette, lettuce, potatoes, radish, peas, cucumbers to name but a few lol😂 I must say, they just taste so much better than the ones you get from the supermarket, idk just more fresh. They planted really big Sunflowers too. I love 🌻!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
What’s everyone been up to?
I’ve been tidying up my strawberry bed and potting on the runners. Once they take I’ll remove some of the older strawberry plants to make way for the new ones.
A couple of my baskets are looking a bit tatty, so will be sorting them out later and planting up some winter baskets to keep in the patio area until ready to go up.

A couple of my baskets are looking a bit tatty, so will be sorting them out later and planting up some winter baskets to keep in the patio area until ready to go up.
I’ve never done winter baskets. What do you plant in them? Pansies? Do they last all winter? How often do you water them?
My Dad loved to succession plant and tbh I never really took any notice of it. He died in January and I‘ve still got plants coming up in his pots that he‘d previously planted and it’s truly comforting to see. I’d like to continue it for him. I know he used to plant pansies and primroses/primula in his winter pots but can’t recall what else.

• Heart
I’ve never done winter baskets. What do you plant in them? Pansies? Do they last all winter? How often do you water them?
My Dad loved to succession plant and tbh I never really took any notice of it. He died in January and I‘ve still got plants coming up in his pots that he‘d previously planted and it’s truly comforting to see. I’d like to continue it for him. I know he used to plant pansies and primroses/primula in his winter pots but can’t recall what else.
So sorry you lost your dad. Sounds like his garden gives you pleasure and that's lovely.
Yes, mainly them, also the smaller cyclamen, winter-flowering heather and ivy and other green/yellow trailing plants like creeping jenny also You can also get winter flowering climbers like a nice yellow Jasmin.

When your pansies get too leggy, cut them down and they will come back again. I've had some amazing pansies since the early spring and I cut them down a couple of mths ago and they are still in full flower now. I like them because you do not have to deadhead and your winter garden takes care of itself. just poke your finger in the soil and if it's dry then water. I have to water my garden twice a day in the summer but in the winter I only if we have a long dry spell

• Heart
So sorry you lost your dad. Sounds like his garden gives you pleasure and that's lovely.
Yes, mainly them, also the smaller cyclamen, winter-flowering heather and ivy and other green/yellow trailing plants like creeping jenny also You can also get winter flowering climbers like a nice yellow Jasmin.

When your pansies get too leggy, cut them down and they will come back again. I've had some amazing pansies since the early spring and I cut them down a couple of mths ago and they are still in full flower now. I like them because you do not have to deadhead and your winter garden takes care of itself. just poke your finger in the soil and if it's dry then water. I have to water my garden twice a day in the summer but in the winter I only if we have a long dry spell
Thank you.
Luckily most of Dad’s plants are in pots so I’ve brought most to my home - he had over 100!
I’ve also dug up 4 hydrangeas from his front garden because he loved them and I didn’t want to leave them there once the house was sold in case the new owners disposed of them. They are now in my garden and thriving.
I’ve taken a few cuttings of a lovely mauve rose he had in his back garden. I’m hoping they will root but I think I’ve lost a couple. Fingers crossed for the remaining two cuttings.

• Heart
In the past couple of weeks I've been at Home Bargains/B&M again.
We got some nice Lillies & Dahlia.
Have lost the info card for 3rd pic & cannot recall it's name 😀 just thought it looked a lovely, unusual rust colour.
20210817_121509.jpg
20210817_121426.jpg
20210817_120612.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Thank you.
Luckily most of Dad’s plants are in pots so I’ve brought most to my home - he had over 100!
I’ve also dug up 4 hydrangeas from his front garden because he loved them and I didn’t want to leave them there once the house was sold in case the new owners disposed of them. They are now in my garden and thriving.
I’ve taken a few cuttings of a lovely mauve rose he had in his back garden. I’m hoping they will root but I think I’ve lost a couple. Fingers crossed for the remaining two cuttings.
That’s lovely that his garden is giving you comfort. I too moved some hydrangeas from my aunts house when she passed away more than twenty years ago. I’ve moved them twice and they get better every year.

• Heart
I have started growing cut flowers this year and had lots flowers but I just scattered seeds between other plants and some grew very large and took over other things so I want to organise things better this year I only planted seeds in spring so want to start earlier now and plant seeds this autumn for blooms next spring or even some winter flowering ones any recommendations about what to plant now for succession planting to have blooms all year round

Attachments

• Heart
My potato plants are done and I gave up on my tomatoes. My runner beans gave me a great crop, but then the plant blew over during the bad weather and got a bit damage, so called in a day with that.

So...I really want use my raised bed to plant something for winter. Any ideas? I'll want it back for veggies come spring though.

Anyone growing corn? I fancy trying that next year.