Planting Flowers, Fruit & Veg

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Anyone here for a new year of seeds, planting and gardening?

I've got some seeds going and the raised beds are ready!

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Yes! I dug out some seeds yesterday to see what I had and need to buy some more and get planting!

Reactions: 3
I did a little tidy up yesterday. My garden is full of daffodils and crocus. Coming back to life 🌼🌼

Reactions: 5
Im new to gardening really, just had an easy border & grass in bold house. Ive got a blank space in the new build so hard to know where to start. Gardenthirtythree have been a great help on insta

Reactions: 4
I’m glad this thread has popped up. I’ve got quite a long garden but it’s really boring. I’ve got a patio then a few steps up to 30m of grass and then another raised patio area behind that which doesn’t get used. I’d really like to make it more inviting but I don’t know where to start. We had all the lawn dug up and levelled and returfed a couple of years ago so the grass is ok but I’m really thinking of digging out some areas to plant some things and make it a bit more attractive but I’ve got no idea what to plant or when!

Reactions: 1
Yay! I'm glad everyone is here. Where does everyone buy their seeds from? One year I was really lucky and Wilko were doing clearance of seeds for 10p. I might have bought too many seeds that day! More recently, I have bought seeds from websites such as bargainseeds that do smaller packages for a smaller price so you only have what you need for that year or two years.

Reactions: 2
I usually buy my seeds from Aldi. Im lucky that my garden is low maintenance, lots of pots and perennials. Ive got tomato seeds on the go and I'll get my potatoes going in April. Its so therapeutic!

I finally planted some sweet pea seeds today (Monty Don reminded me on Gardeners World last night).
(Hopefully) growing Wuthering Heights mix (purple and white) and Red Arrow.

Was given a chilli growing kit for Christmas so am going to plant them tomorrow - 6 varieties.

I planted some Ranunculus and Anenome Full Star corms in the autumn and they have grown so will need to plant them out soon. Well, I planted some straight out in the front garden and some in the greenhouse.
The Anenome is already starting to flower, gorgeous bright pink and purple.

Am also going to try growing Gomphrena (thanks to Garden Answer).

Oh, and in a bit of an exciting experiment I have managed to get some lychee seeds to sprout!!!!!!!!!!!!! I happened to glance at them today and three out of four pots are showing signs of life so far. Whether I'll ever get any fruit from them is anyone's guess but they have quite attractive leaves so will make a nice indoor plant(s)!

I get my seeds from Aldi too, last year they had some little plug type seedlings in a clear gel which were great, we got lots of chilli's and padron peppers from those - hope they do them again.

I tend to let the herbs go untamed, the wild garlic and chives are already abundant. Hoping to get toms going again too.

To the lady asking about planting I find hebes good for borders, there are some lovely purple ones for a dash of colour in Winter.

I get my seeds from Aldi too, last year they had some little plug type seedlings in a clear gel which were great, we got lots of chilli's and padron peppers from those - hope they do them again.

I tend to let the herbs go untamed, the wild garlic and chives are already abundant. Hoping to get toms going again too.

To the lady asking about planting I find hebes good for borders, there are some lovely purple ones for a dash of colour in Winter.
I’d love to grow herbs but I seem to have an amazing ability to kill anything green. I’ve a science/technology background and I’m pretty handy at most things DIY wise but gardening stuff just doesn’t compute in my head. I’ve read loads of gardening sites and it’s like a foreign language. I’d love to potter in the garden tending to my plants and using herbs from the garden in meals but anything I touch dies. I fear its a lost cause.

I’d love to grow herbs but I seem to have an amazing ability to kill anything green. I’ve a science/technology background and I’m pretty handy at most things DIY wise but gardening stuff just doesn’t compute in my head. I’ve read loads of gardening sites and it’s like a foreign language. I’d love to potter in the garden tending to my plants and using herbs from the garden in meals but anything I touch dies. I fear its a lost cause.
Have you tried rosemary or sage? They're usually pretty hardy. Fennel too although I've yet to cook anything with it!

I couldn't grow a thing at my former home so I guess soil plays a part. Some things just out fox us no matter how hard we try...I cannot cook rice for the life of me 🥴

Have you tried rosemary or sage? They're usually pretty hardy. Fennel too although I've yet to cook anything with it!

I couldn't grow a thing at my former home so I guess soil plays a part. Some things just out fox us no matter how hard we try...I cannot cook rice for the life of me 🥴
I tried rosemary and it died.🧟‍♀️ I’m determined to grow something so I’ll try sage & fennel. My neighbours beautiful Wisteria died just after I moved in. I reckon I could probably kill anything except Japanese Knotweed. 🥴 My garden is SSW facing and pretty sheltered. It’s a real sun trap. The soil is really clay-y but I’ve tried growing things in the ground with compost and in pots and followed all the guides to no avail. I’ll keep trying.

I couldn’t cook rice either - it didn’t matter what rice or how many times I rinsed it, it just turned into a claggy mess. I then spent a while in SE Asia and with the help of a cheap rice cooker I can make edible rice (and even slightly claggy rice makes ok fried rice is its properly cooled first).

hi guys! Hope you don't mind me jumping in but has anyone ever successfully grown an avocado tree? I'm attempting to do it now but I think I'm gonna need a lot of patience 🥑
I’m growing one, it took a while to get a stone to sprout - I skewered the with cocktail sticks & then balanced it over a yoghurt pot of water, keep the bottom of the stone submerged. After a while a root will sprout from the bottom, then transfer to a nice deep pot and leave somewhere warm. Eventually a stem & leaves will come through from the top. Definitely needs patience, I must have had 6 stones in water at one point and have only got one plant from them.

I really want to try regrowing a pineapple from the leaves at the top, Google says it’s possible - I’ve not yet had any luck 😆😆

• Heart
I have started growing cut flowers this year and had lots flowers but I just scattered seeds between other plants and some grew very large and took over other things so I want to organise things better this year I only planted seeds in spring so want to start earlier now and plant seeds this autumn for blooms next spring or even some winter flowering ones any recommendations about what to plant now for succession planting to have blooms all year round
Beautiful posies ❤❤ Amazing to have grown all those flowers! I’m hoping to grow more cut flowers this year, I want to bring the outside into my living room.

Hello! Hope it's ok to join?
I'm very new to gardening but determined to get into it this year.
So far I have strawberries, raspberries and mint on the go. I've just planted Brussels and carrots.
I've dug out a border and so far in there I have gladioli, primrose, heather and southern splendor.
Any hints and tips would be greatly appreciated please.

Try not to overthink it. I throw things in and they grow. I don't do anything special in fact I find the less you fuss them the better they are. if you push your finger into the soil and it's very dry then water, if it feels damp don't water. on very hot days water the garden every day and smaller pots/baskets twice a day.
Let your mind drift when tending the garden or doing seeds and it's like you instinctively know what to do.

I remember my neighbours would tend their tropical fish by the book and they always died we just did what we did and ours thrived.

Just relax its what gardening is for. ❤

I get my seeds and cuttins from my walks.. also join your local FB group and ask if anyone would like to seed/ seedling, cutting swap. Many people pull things up to thin out and give away what they don't want.
freebies are the best.

• Heart
Hello! Hope it's ok to join?
I'm very new to gardening but determined to get into it this year.
So far I have strawberries, raspberries and mint on the go. I've just planted Brussels and carrots.
I've dug out a border and so far in there I have gladioli, primrose, heather and southern splendor.
Any hints and tips would be greatly appreciated please.
Is your mint in a pot? If not, a word of warning it spreads - a lot!

• Haha
I'd recommend going by local horse paddocks to see if they are giving away their manure. Must've saved £20 filling up some old shopping bags for life. Agree with the other posters about not overthinking things, just keep it as simple as you can.

The Gardening Influencers are a bit weird. Just lots of dancing and repetitive content.