Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

grumpy_curry

They are tigerella variety, says they produce yellow striped tomato’s. Thanks, I’ll keep doing what I’m doing then!
Iv really enjoyed watching them grow, I’m defiantly gonna try to grow more next summer!! Been very Theaputic!
Lovely, I have the same variety this year, and they seem to be a great one! Haven't tasted one yet, but the growth is amazing.

unidentified

VIP Member
The weather is really hindering my crops. I have had one cucumber (picked today), and one cherry tomato! My courgettes have done well though and I’ve given quite a few away. Did ok from my potatoes but have no more. I only have a small yard so can’t grow as much as I’d like

grumpy_curry

Thinking of some growing some potatos…. Anyone have something like this? Would you recommend?
I haven't tried that but you might as well use a sturdy bin bag. Will work just as well and is definitely cheaper. Or, you could use a bag of soil straight from the garden centre.

Unless you're after something that looks nice? But even I wouldn't go for something like this with the velcro.

liddynz

Chatty Member
I’ve bought a few from David Austin, funnily enough the new brochure arrived today. March until May is quite a long time to leave it in its pot, although roses are very hardy. You could always email customer services and see what they say.
Agreed. Customer services are really good over at DA too they’ll be able to advise
---
Does anyone have any recommendations for a shaded border? Ideally with some height but takes care of itself.
I have a shaded border/area but things aren’t fully grown yet. I’ve had success with a holly bush transferred from elsewhere. Had a problem with the soil for a good while. Hardy Geranium Rozanne has done very well there, they’re lovely but not tall. What about some ferns? I got a fatsia japionica last year for a shaded area but it’s potted at the moment good in shade.

50sGirl

VIP Member
Had hoped to do some gardening today but it’s rained all day.
I have taken some cuttings to propagate which I’ve not done before so fingers crossed they root.

What has everyone else been up to?

Saddlesoap

VIP Member
I read something interesting. Along the lines of do you really think farmers go around tenderly building up their potatoes?

Nope they do it all in 1 go and the potatoes come through fine

Never tried it and build mine up slowly too :D
I did last year and they were fine, decided to try this way this year and see the difference (if any!)

strawb

VIP Member
is anyone growing cucumbers? 🥒

i have a problem with mine, they start growing then they go black and dry, the leaves are going yellow and falling off yet the ground doesn't seem dry at all ☹

50sGirl

VIP Member
I've just spent time planting seeds 😁

Corn, carrots, sweet peas, mint and pea shoots.

Courgettes and peppers to do later, and I'm going to try cucamelons as well (just cos they looked cute!)
Re Cucamelons, we grew them one year. A lot of effort for teeny fruits and I wasn’t too keen on the flavour tbh. Do you have a greenhouse? We had more success in there.

Bobby Chariot

VIP Member
Will an apple tree grow in shade? Because of the orientation of my garden the best place for it to go is in a north facing corner 🤔
I put one in a large tub last year and it's thriving in a corner of the patio, lots of fruit on it.
I feed it occasionally with a capful of plant food in water. I have it in a southeast facing spot.
Is yours in a pot/tub?

JoJo76

VIP Member
Everything seems so late this year. Finally got the seed sprout for my sweetcorn. This time last year I was harvesting them.

aulty

I am so excited that there is a thread about this.
I've lived in a flat for many many years (since moving out) and recently moved to somewhere with a bit of (South facing) garden that I want to put to good use. We couldn't do much to it this year - I planted a a couple of trees and vines, put bulbs in the ground, but the raised beds are a project for early spring. I am not sure whether I want the raised beds (8-10m x 1m) to be just slightly raised (around knee height), raised at different levels or the 80cm affairs that are so trendy at the moment (our new neighbor has those, they are also very $$$). I assume they are pleasant for weeding etc, but must be a right pain to fill, turn, fertilise ... Any recommendations for this noob?

Renegadedancer

VIP Member
Hi everyone ☀

I’m slowly getting into gardening but I’ve got no idea what I’m doing, so far I have 3 herb plants:

Basil 🍃
Parsley 🌱
Mint 🌿

How often should I be watering these? I noticed a few of the basil leaves had holes in so I removed them and now it’s growing even more. During the heatwave the parsley wilted but I’ve managed to get it back to being green, some of the leaves are still looking wilted. I don’t know what to do to help it

I just bought a hydrangea in a pot and when we have our own house with a garden I want to plant it. It’s a panicled hygrangea I believe but I have no idea how to best look after it so any tips are welcome. I have no idea what I’m doing or if that even made sense but I’m loving looking after them 🙂👩🏻‍🌾🌷
Hi! No experience with herbs but Hydrangea loves lots of water and a lot big enough for its roots to spread. If you are going to leave it in the pot regular feeds over the summer and a tip up yearly of new compost will help. Happy gardening