Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

aulty

When building them try and put in some planning for netting to protect stuff from pests while it is all young. Better to do it from the start than have to think about it later.

Just have fun and learn as you go. Oh and post us before, during and after pictures of course :)
Thanks for the tips. Thats a good point about the netting.
There is a riding school in the next village, we can try there for some manure. We are usually good with brown compost in the fall and wood cuttings.
I want to get all the beds installed in spring, but I might not fully plant all of them the first year. I had a seed advent calendar this year and there are plenty of things I could just try, especially flowers, without to many expectations or much fuss. Tomatoes, strawberries, courgettes, some herbs and salad are what I hope to get right, everything else is just a bonus. And maybe try a potted Cranberry if I can find one.
I also dread finding out how bad it is around here with slugs.

50sGirl

VIP Member
Love this! Maybe not in the red white and blue (don’t want to look like I’m waving a flag) but this would look very pretty.

@Girty Drifter thank you very much. Here’s hoping I can get some going in a brick wall rather than stone 🤞🏻
No I agree but I just posted that pic to show the different colours.
You should be able to get some plug plants now because they are in flower late spring/early summer.
Unsure when the Fleabane that Girty posted flowers but if it’s late summer perhaps you could alternate the 2 different plants along your wall so that you have flowers for several months.

Saddlesoap

VIP Member
What should I grow for some aesthetic height to my veg bed? Realised everything I've got is low growing and last year I have broad beans, the plant was lovely, but I didn't make use of the beans for some reason.

Renegadedancer

VIP Member
I haven’t planted any yet and was thinking I need to get them in this week but actually it’s still warm , as long as I can do them in next couple of weeks they should be ok.

WeepingCassandra

VIP Member
I planted some potato chits in September hoping they'd be good for Christmas. They have done absolutely nothing! I used a new bed compared to the one I did my summer potatoes in - any clues why?

Tui

VIP Member
Yes most plants will need watering in this weather. Hydrangeas especially need watering daily because they wilt like mad in this heat. I was ill for 2 days last week so didn’t water and my plants in my garden were all wilting but luckily after a good drink they bounced back.
Oops. We have tons of hydrangea! I did the back garden borders last night but keep forgetting about the front

I water the plants in pots every day but not sure if that’s too much…toddler also “waters” them lol

Saddlesoap

VIP Member
Re Cucamelons, we grew them one year. A lot of effort for teeny fruits and I wasn’t too keen on the flavour tbh. Do you have a greenhouse? We had more success in there.
No, although had considered getting a little one if I bother with tomatoes as they were rubbish last year.

JoJo76

VIP Member
Nipped out for a post work glass of wine. Ended up having to stay, keep trying to leave. I fear my young seedlings won’t do well with this rain.

Tried adding a video but it’s too large. Mega fat rain and hail.

unidentified

VIP Member
Can anyone recommend a compost brand for growing my veggies in? Every time I look online I seen 1-3 stars. If I’m spending the money I want to spend it wisely.

WeepingCassandra

VIP Member
Do any of you watch Acre Homestead on YT? The garden she had put in is so far removed from my idea of a homestead garden (they call it the graveyard on other forums) and why they took out all those lovely strawberry beds considering how much space they have on their property. She had a decent enough harvest last year considering her soil was lacking most major nutrients. I wasn't keen on her using pastic sheeting in all of her beds and something about her gardening is irritating me big time.

My (first) own garden is doing well - there were a few casualties after we had a heavy hail storm (the micro climate here is crazy), but I replaced those. I accidentally broke off the sprout on my horseraddish, and I hope it produces another?? Fingers crossed I can get a mango-melon to fruit as it sounds delicious. Loads of tiny blueberries already.
I also got given an indigo apple tomato and hope it will bear fruit, they look stunning in the picture.
I don't watch her often, I'll be honest her voice grates on me. I watched her last gardening focused one and I really cannot stand those petunia planters, they're so ugly. Are you talking about the raised beds in the gated bit? I don't hate that, looks like a nicely organised veg patch to me.

50sGirl

VIP Member
Thankyou I didn't know that! I'll be soaking them along with you tomorrow morning 😁
Might be even longer! 😮

Girty Drifter

I’ve taken the risk and planted out my dahlias today. If frosts come back I’ll have to cloche them. I was going to start them in pots on my kitchen window but that’s currently full of seedlings and likely to be for the foreseeable.

I wish I had room for a greenhouse 😢 I tried one of those tiny plastic affairs years ago and it was rubbish so gave up. Might just throw together a cold frame later in the year to try next spring.

Anyone got any tips for starting off seeds etc with no space? I’m juggling pots and trays every year and it’s so awkward.

Bletchley

I have a huge pot that current has a rose in it which isn't performing well so getting rid of that and filling it with Tulip Graceland then will buy a David Austin Rose to put in it after they've finished

View attachment 1531414

Also got some Narcissus Sabine

View attachment 1531421

I only have a yard/pot garden so I'm a bit bulb crazy
Wonderful - I actually think that tulips and narcissi look best in pots anyway :)

Bobby Chariot

VIP Member
How can I get this sycamore sapling out of my lavender without damaging the lavender ? Thanks
I would just use a small hand-held garden fork & work it around the base of the sapling until it can be pulled out.
I don't think you'd damage the Lavender too badly, looks as though the sapling has made it's own space there, maybe just buy another Lavender plant to fill the space left after you get the sapling out?