Planting Flowers, Fruit & Veg

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Struggling with my edibles since my last round of surgery, so will finally have to relent and ask for help. My husband hates gardening and while he will help, it does my head in as he sulks the whole time!
Spuds are going well, and despite cooler weather my seeds in the cold frame are coming through.

I have my little garden apprentice helper with me in a few weeks, I give her pocket money for helping as I am not allowed to bend since surgery. She will plant lettuce, sweetcorn, carrots and a few other bits and I give her pocket money and pots to take home for her own project.

Also donated a strawberry plant to a neighbour with a 2 year old that likes to stroke my cat when they are passing. Gave him a little 1L watering can and he’s excited now to have his own plant.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I've been gifted an apple tree for my birthday and not sure whether to plant it in the ground or in a pot?
It's a Malus Gala and currently about 5ft tall with blossom 🌸

Reactions: 2
I can finally have my cold frame open for venting. It’s warm and we have sun, which is rare in Manchester!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
We had lovely weather yesterday where I was able to get some things outside but not enough. My tomatoes are in their final pots but still living in my house which is a nightmare for space but also for their ability to thrive.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
We had lovely weather yesterday where I was able to get some things outside but not enough. My tomatoes are in their final pots but still living in my house which is a nightmare for space but also for their ability to thrive.
I love tomatoes but not doing them this year due to mobility issues. They just go crazy!

Reactions: 1
I've been gifted an apple tree for my birthday and not sure whether to plant it in the ground or in a pot?
It's a Malus Gala and currently about 5ft tall with blossom 🌸
I put our Apple tree in a large tub/planter on the patio, sunny spot & it does really well, got about 20 edible apples from it last year.
Fed it with Tomorite every other week, the blossom on them is really nice.

Reactions: 1
The sodding pigeons have been at my cherry tree AGAIN. They just plop down on it and walk along the branches stripping all the blossom, barely ripe or even any ripe ones that survive off for no bloody reason 😡😡

• Sad
  • Angry
I have about 12 tomato plants growing well. Apparently the very old seeds that I didn't think would amount to much, have amounted to much.

Also have 8 bell pepper plants but 2 are looking dodgy. I'd like to add to my strawberry planter this year, 3 plants are not enough!

Flower-wise I have some trays of statice and Gomphrena that I'm going to start planting out this week. Never grown statice before but liked the idea of it in a dried arrangement. Same for Gomphrena, I grew that last year and have some dried in a vase. And have got bunny tails in too, in pots.

I live with my Mum, she does most of the gardening really but I've got more into it in the last few years. She has planted a load of Teddy Bear sunflowers.

Also our Acer tree is looking MAGNIFICENT at the moment. We thought it was a goner last year but it's recovered splendidly.

I'm looking at an Acer tree for a large pot - the small ones I've seen in B&M, morrisons etc look weedy and straggly, do they grow fast?

SLUGS. Bloody slugs. I couldn't believe how well my cabbages and cauliflower was growing this year. So proud of myself and in one night obliterated! Devastated! Got my two remaining cauliflowers under very close protection now 😂

Reactions: 7
I went out last night after it rained and caught loads of snails 🐌 making their way to my new seedlings I've just planted out. I threw them over the wall What do you do with them?

I went out last night after it rained and caught loads of snails 🐌 making their way to my new seedlings I've just planted out. I threw them over the wall What do you do with them?
Yeet them as far along the garden as I can. I don’t wish them harm, but equally they can get the duck away from the plants I like 😂

Reactions: 2
Yeet them as far along the garden as I can. I don’t wish them harm, but equally they can get the duck away from the plants I like 😂
I get them on the trowel and yeet them over the neighbours fence and into the school playing field behind.

bleeping slugs are driving me mad at the moment. I chuck them in my garden waste bin

Slugs - you can try wide copper tape around pots & the base of plants, they don't like to pass over that apparently.
I tried a beer trap one time but it only attracts slugs within a few feet to it.
Having plenty of birds around your garden will help or you just go nuclear and put salt on them when you see one, salt will also kill grass though and some might not like that idea, understandably.
I read somewhere that slugs love Bran and sprinkling it around plants they will gorge on it, leaving them bloated/dehydrated & the birds will pick them off.

Had my lovely little 11 year old helper around again tonight. I am recovering from a broken back so cannot bend much and she is so lovely. This is her 4th visit, she was so shy at first and now I can’t shut her up!

I gave her some planters for her own project a while ago with Spuds, Garlic and strawberries. She told me today that her Mum had cleared area for her to grow veg so sent home with a ton of seeds. So proud of her x

• Heart
Reactions: 10