Peaches Geldof

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:

Peaches mentions here that she didn’t go private. Both babies were born via C-section, and she stayed in hospital for a short while after. I think after her first the baby was in ICU.

• Wow
Reactions: 4
If she had been in the methadone programme for 2.5 years, as per the report, she would have been on methadone throughout both pregnancies with her boys, who were 11 and 23 months at the time of her death.

Someone mentioned earlier that a baby born to a mother who has been using methadone is born addicted, and as such, has to stay in hospital while he/she withdraws from the drug. Seeing as both boys must have been born addicted, as Peaches was in a methadone programme that she commenced during the pregnancy of the eldest child, surely there must have been a multidisciplinary team supporting the family? They can't just have been discharged from hospital to fend for themselves?

Also, seeing as she started the methadone programme 6 months before Astala was born, that must mean that he was conceived while she was an active heroin user?
Yes, she would have been under the care of drugs and alcohol midwife. I presumed she went privately but if she gave birth at the Royal London then she would have been on the NHS. There is no way there would not have been multiple agency involvement - the boys would have been born addicted. It would be negligent. As said a million times before, because she would have money to pay for help and Thomas's family was supportive, she may have gotten away with far more than another addicted mother would have. I'm pretty certain she would still be under the care of a health visitor and whoever that was would have been sh*tting it after Peaches died because of the circumstances and the obvious danger that the baby was in. There would have been an internal investigation as one would expect.

Reactions: 13
If anyone is interested there is a good documentary on Netflix about the prescription opiate crisis in the US. It’s called The Pharmacist and is about a man whose son died in a drug related shooting and he realises a local doctor is basically dealing OxyContin in dangerous doses for non medical reasons and he raises the alarm.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Thought I was the only person who still thought about Peaches. I didn't know a great deal about her before she passed but she seemed to me a naive 21 year old to 'have it all' - lovely house, gorgeous husband, two adorable children, financial security, slim and beautiful. Now I'm 28 and I can't believe she was only 25, that seems so so young to me now. I have a son of my own. Like Peaches I had a traumatic childhood. Having a baby doesn't fix that. I struggle to understand how you could take heroin whilst caring for a clearly adored baby, but then I'm not an addict. We all do strange things with our pain.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Sorry for going on, but if anyone is interested in addiction then Gabor Mate is a doctor who imo best explains addiction. He is on youtube and explains it all in such a watcher-friendly way. Ive only just come across him since being clean but i wish i had watched him while in the depths of it. I also really enjoy listening to Russell Brand talking about addicition- although on another thread i was accused of idolising him!lol.
Edit to add- i certainly dont idolise Brand, i find him a bleep but i do enjoy listening to him talk about addiction because he talks about it in a very realistic way for me.

• Haha
Reactions: 28
Just chiming in on the Mitch-Winehouse-is-awful tangent to absolutely agree. I mean, in comparison to Bob, I think Bob loves his kids and has been honest about his own failures, but Mitch seems completely impervious to the notion that he could be at fault for Amy's addiction. Happy to blame Blake and others instead of thinking that leaving Amy's mum for another woman had any negative effect on her.
He did a documentary about Amy but made it all about himself, he seemed so smug. And practically forced Amy in front of the cameras at a time when she was in seclusion. I think if Amy were alive today I could see Mitch in a Jamie Spears-type role.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
I can't find the original comment now, I wanted to check if anyone else said it but... Somebody mentioned Amy Winehouse being narcissistic and looking to see if anyone spotted her in the supermarket. Very unfair assumption. First of all just want to say I know and love people who genuinely do have a narcissistic personality. There's nothing wrong with it as long as they aren't hurting people. Also want to say, Amy wasn't a narcissist, she was very empathetic. She found fame very difficult. She could hardly step out her front door without having 10-20 cameras shoved in her face and people roaring at her. She was on edge all the time and the drugs didn't help. She couldn't trust anyone (and often trusted the wrong people), she was probably feeling very paranoid that day and felt people were staring. Which they probably were. She was very unwell and an extremely vulnerable and delicate person. So I just wanted to say that, since she can't!

And Mitch is awful. He was just like Jamie Spears.

• Heart
Reactions: 40
Regarding how her face changed compared with when she was younger - Tom and Peaches got married in 2012. I'm pretty sure she had some extensive face shaping surgery in preparation for the wedding, as photos of her before and after the wedding are very different. Her face was much rounder before the wedding.

She did have veneers fitted, and as someone said, they seemed too big for her face. There was a dark line between the tooth and the gum in all visible teeth in her selfies, and I remember thinking she should ask for them to be re-done as they didn't look great.

Reactions: 5
Yes it was clear Amy adored her dad and he was completely self involved, the bit in the documentary when he forces her to have photos with fans when she's trying to recover in St Lucia, awful.

Amy probably deserves her own thread tbh.

Reactions: 20
Just chiming in on the Mitch-Winehouse-is-awful tangent to absolutely agree. I mean, in comparison to Bob, I think Bob loves his kids and has been honest about his own failures, but Mitch seems completely impervious to the notion that he could be at fault for Amy's addiction. Happy to blame Blake and others instead of thinking that leaving Amy's mum for another woman had any negative effect on her.
He did a documentary about Amy but made it all about himself, he seemed so smug. And practically forced Amy in front of the cameras at a time when she was in seclusion. I think if Amy were alive today I could see Mitch in a Jamie Spears-type role.
I honestly didnt know that about Amy and her dad. Im going to check it all out.

I can't find the original comment now, I wanted to check if anyone else said it but... Somebody mentioned Amy Winehouse being narcissistic and looking to see if anyone spotted her in the supermarket. Very unfair assumption. First of all just want to say I know and love people who genuinely do have a narcissistic personality. There's nothing wrong with it as long as they aren't hurting people. Also want to say, Amy wasn't a narcissist, she was very empathetic. She found fame very difficult. She could hardly step out her front door without having 10-20 cameras shoved in her face and people roaring at her. She was on edge all the time and the drugs didn't help. She couldn't trust anyone (and often trusted the wrong people), she was probably feeling very paranoid that day and felt people were staring. Which they probably were. She was very unwell and an extremely vulnerable and delicate person. So I just wanted to say that, since she can't!

And Mitch is awful. He was just like Jamie Spears.
I think it’s easy to imagine Amy being all sorts as when she was at her worst in terms of addiction she was really out of control and the photographs were shocking. But when you see her in interviews, especially early on in her career, she really came across as a lovely person and very down to earth, just a normal girl.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Sorry for going on, but if anyone is interested in addiction then Gabor Mate is a doctor who imo best explains addiction. He is on youtube and explains it all in such a watcher-friendly way. Ive only just come across him since being clean but i wish i had watched him while in the depths of it. I also really enjoy listening to Russell Brand talking about addicition- although on another thread i was accused of idolising him!lol.
Yeah, he knows of what he speaks does Russell. He was in a bad way and to see someone who can get back from that is an inspiration, aside from anything else you might think of him. I just see him as a ADHD Gemini who is trying to do his bit in the world. Good rec of Gabor Mate.

Also want to say, Amy wasn't a narcissist, she was very empathetic. She found fame very difficult.
What I got from Amy was someone who for a long time she enjoyed the misery, romanticized it, it added to her mystique. She bought the tortured artist idea, but just as she was coming out of it she was gone.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Yes, she would have been under the care of drugs and alcohol midwife. I presumed she went privately but if she gave birth at the Royal London then she would have been on the NHS. There is no way there would not have been multiple agency involvement - the boys would have been born addicted. It would be negligent. As said a million times before, because she would have money to pay for help and Thomas's family was supportive, she may have gotten away with far more than another addicted mother would have. I'm pretty certain she would still be under the care of a health visitor and whoever that was would have been sh*tting it after Peaches died because of the circumstances and the obvious danger that the baby was in. There would have been an internal investigation as one would expect.
I agree that her agency involvement would’ve liked different to someone without money or supportive family- but Tbf, that’s really what SS are taking the place of in these cases. If they’re already in place they’re not needed as much.
I disagree however that the HV would’ve been shifting it. The extent of the obvious danger we are aware of is a baby under 1 being alone for 17 hours. Unharmed, extremely distressing though. However, this is likely to be the same danger any child is put in when their parent dies unexpectedly. If I was in sole care of my children and had a massive heart attacks they’d also have to wait alone for someone to find me. It’s the way it goes tbh, and it’s doesn’t mean the baby was in “obvious danger” that the HV should’ve done something about.
The authorities aren’t there to eliminate anything bad happening to children. They’re there to risk assess and minimise. And it seems like with the supervised methadone programme that was going ok

• Heart
Reactions: 11
What I got from Amy was someone who for a long time she enjoyed the misery, romanticized it, it added to her mystique. She bought the tortured artist idea, but just as she was coming out of it she was gone.
I knew her. I never became close enough to call her a friend. I kept my distance a little but I knew her pretty well and some of my friends were very close to her. I wouldn't say she romanticized it but other people did, not just the press but some people around her and hangers on who were really just leeching her fame. And that really didn't help. A lot of people around her had stepped away from the mental camden scene by 2010, stopped with drugs and she couldn't come with them. I think a lot of her true friends who were into partying until all hours and into drugs have a bit of survivors guilt. I've no doubt it's the same with people who were really close to Peaches (there's an overlap in some places)

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Yes it was clear Amy adored her dad and he was completely self involved, the bit in the documentary when he forces her to have photos with fans when she's trying to recover in St Lucia, awful.

Amy probably deserves her own thread tbh.
Wasn’t it proved that on a trip to the Caribbean where she’d gone to get away whilst in a terrible place, Mitch had tipped the paps off?

• Sick
  • Angry
Reactions: 14
No they dont need to be returned. And tbh she was probably doing well as it seems like she was on a pick up for 7 days prescription. That is what im on now and its only because im totally clean, been engaging well with my drugs worker, and ive evidenced im clean. And im on 30ml, i was weaned down to 20ml but it made me quite ill so we upped the dosage again. So i imagine she was doing well for a period of time otherwise she would have had to go to the chemist each day and take it under the supervision of the pharmacist.

Also it is not correct that you get kicked off the methadone programe for testing positive, that just is not correct. Ive tested positive a couple of times and they certainly didnt kick me off! What happens at my local drugs place is if you test positive a couple of times in a row then they put you on a course- i think its called making changes, but i could be wrong. And if you dont engage with that, they give you another opportunity, and if you fail to engage with that then they will wean you off. But they certainly dont just kick you off.
Also its worth noting, alot of seasoned addicts know how to 'play' the system. They know when they have their unity appointment so they wont take the drug for 3 days prior to their appointment-and this makes their swab come back negative. But they are just kidding themselves doing that, and they are not helping themselves by doing that. The drugs worker would much rather you tell them the truth so they are able to support you in a much more effective way.

No you dont get kicked off the programe. What happens is if you test positive twice in a row then they put you on a group therapy type programe, and you get 2 chances to engage with that. If you dont engage then they wean you off methadone slowly (but by then most people re-engage with the programe anyway).

I really feel for your friend, its a horrible thing to be addicted too. I remember when i was first prescribed co-codamol and i was so naive and innocent- i honestly didnt know what it was! I just thought it was a stronger paracetimol. Then they moved me onto tramadol, and then onto codeine. I got to the point i was buying it from pharmacists (Nurophen plus was my fav because it had 12mg of codeine per tablet and i used to calculate i could take 6 of them that would equal 72mg of codeine, then syndol which had 10 mg of codeine per tablet and i used to take 6 of those which would take the codeine up to 122mg). Its sad but thats how i used to try and calculate it) But those are expensive wheras heroin was much cheaper. I also remember pinching my dads oramorph as well , which is something im so ashamed off.
My drugs worker and I, we identified that the cause of my problem is opiates in general, not heroin as such. But its rather opiates as an umbrella term, and heroin was just an easier, cheaper, and more effective way for me. But the root cause of my addiction stems from opiate pain. Ive got sciatica and chronic pain but i cant risk taking pain anymore. I take methadone which i suppose acts as a painkiller. But there are some users who will not touch methadone! I think because when you take methadone it saturates your receipters, and it makes you feel opiates less if you then take opiates on top of methadone. xxx
I was kicked off a fair few times for testing positive for crack or gear just the once in my 15 years of using. Just because it’s simply not true for you, doesn’t mean it’s simply not true for others.

I was kicked off a fair few times for testing positive for crack or gear just the once in my 15 years of using. Just because it’s simply not true for you, doesn’t mean it’s simply not true for others.
perhaps thats the practice they follow where you live, but here they dont do things like that. And likewise, just because it happened to you doesnt mean thats the case for others.
I can imagine how hard that was for you, and im so glad they dont practice like that anymore because it really does not help anyone to simply kick you off the programe.

Edit to add- ive just re read your original comment and i apoligise if i have offended you. But i was just replying to it as it seemed to imply that its automatic for people to be kicked off the methadone programe if testing positive for any drugs. Thankfully that is not the case where i live and that isnt the policy of our local service. So that is why i said it wasnt correct. Im sorry if i offended you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
Mitch Winehouse is a failed singer who was living his dreams through his daughter. If you watch the documentary ‘Amy’ you’ll see most of her friends blame him for her not getting the help she needed. He constantly stood in the way and told people she was fine when she clearly wasn’t!

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 28
I agree that her agency involvement would’ve liked different to someone without money or supportive family- but Tbf, that’s really what SS are taking the place of in these cases. If they’re already in place they’re not needed as much.
I disagree however that the HV would’ve been shifting it. The extent of the obvious danger we are aware of is a baby under 1 being alone for 17 hours. Unharmed, extremely distressing though. However, this is likely to be the same danger any child is put in when their parent dies unexpectedly. If I was in sole care of my children and had a massive heart attacks they’d also have to wait alone for someone to find me. It’s the way it goes tbh, and it’s doesn’t mean the baby was in “obvious danger” that the HV should’ve done something about.
The authorities aren’t there to eliminate anything bad happening to children. They’re there to risk assess and minimise. And it seems like with the supervised methadone programme that was going ok
I'm not sure if you know what it's like to have someone die that is under your care. It's a pretty big deal and no one wants that on their record but of course, it is unavoidable. It is highly unlikely that a massive heart attack could be predicted whereas it was very likely that she was going to overdose and that could be predicted. A baby under 1 left alone for 17 hours could have easily, easily come to harm. And the question would be - why was a vulnerable baby left alone with a mother who had a drug problem and was in danger of overdosing? I'm not saying the agencies are to blame here but her husband and his family have to take some of the blame which is why there seem to be gaps in this story. I stand by what I've said all along, she should never have been alone with the children.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
perhaps thats the practice they follow where you live, but here they dont do things like that. And likewise, just because it happened to you doesnt mean thats the case for others.
I can imagine how hard that was for you, and im so glad they dont practice like that anymore because it really does not help anyone to simply kick you off the programe.
The last time I was on a methadone program was around 10 years ago. It was back in the days where they would increase you up to 180ml of methadone so when you were kicked off the program you used even more gear than before you went on it 😂😰 I was also on a benzo reduction program. I’m surprised I’m not dead with that concoction. For peaches to get down to 9mls and work and look after children is amazing. I couldn’t do it. I am confused how they found a bottle with 20mls in it though. When I would get my bottles each bottle would have the exact amount I was prescribed.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.