Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Cocobaby09

VIP Member
Does anyone know where I might buy this online? I've tried a few sites but no luck. Sounds like an interesting read
I got it from Kindle.
---
I’ve shared this before on here, but it is worth repeating for the LOLs: I read the Gerry Agar book on my honeymoon, and found it so compelling that I prioritised it over enjoying marital relations one night 😂😂
I couldn’t put it down.

Reactions: 4

femmegirly

Chatty Member
18 and 26 doesn't seem awful, I know I don't speak for everyone but at 18, I was working, at college, had some experience in terms of boyfriends/seeing people, still living with parents mind you but a fully functioning adult. I don't know 26, mid twenties, still seems like a young adult, I'd certainly not look at a 26 year old with an 18 year old a predatory, at that age a lot of guys are still quite immature.
They were dating when she was 16/17. Not sure why so many commenters in here refuse to acknowledge that and keep rounding it up to 18.

femmegirly

Chatty Member
I’m It wasn’t considered ‘ok’ by anyone other than those involved. I was also coming of age during that era and my parents wouldn’t have allowed me to date anyone in their 20s.
I wasn’t able to find that it was 16. I found info that mostly said she was 18, but was following his band when she was 19. It’s 2-3 years but it’s not that people are rounding up on purpose. Where is this info she was 16? If she was born in April 1959 and met him at a Xmas party in 1977 (as I have found reported) she was 18 and in fact nearly 19 years old. The boomtown rats do not seem to have been to Paris in 1976 - they only started gigging in Ireland in 1975 and I looked on a fan wiki page there is no gig in Paris in 1976 they played at - so whoever wrote that on Wikipedia it can’t be backed up. It’s just one entry on wiki that it was 1976 when she actually met him the end of 1977
I think you are reading more contemporary articles. If you read anything pre-dating 2000, (free-library is a good source) you’ll see that it’s mentioned fairly often. I think that due to high profile cases including famous people and children, more modern articles avoid mentioning it.

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Yeah, the drugs thing didn’t exactly ring true did it? In fact it made no sense that he wouldn’t be godfather because he was worried about the kids safety- all the more reason to say yes.
Yes that is what I thought - surely that would be the time to step up if you were concerned?

despair

Chatty Member
I'm intrigued on Bono, is there tea?

Someone mentioned Bob Geldof's mental health above. Was Bob Geldof known to have struggles with his mental health, even before the grief and trauma associated with his family losses?
That video seemed pretty genuine and quite sad.

femmegirly

Chatty Member
Where have you gotten her being living in a squat without family support from?

IIRC her mum moved to London after the divorce from Jess Yates and I’d assumed Paula joined her there and was supported by family money.

The point of the Paris trip was that Paula surprised BG so doesn’t really sound like he hand funded it, plus she supposedly followed his band around on yours.

The most obvious answer, as a teen without a career underway at that time, is that she was supported by her family until she started her journalism.
It’s apparently in her autobiography. I’ve not read it, but I’ve seen it attributed to coming from there. Anyone got a copy to check?
---
Didn’t Paula and Bob get married when they had been together for 10 years? Which would have meant they started dating in 1976 when she was 16/17.
Yes. It’s interesting that there is a significant age gap between Paula’s parents too who got married when her mum was very young. History repeating itself.
---
Didn’t Paula and Bob get married when they had been together for 10 years? Which would have meant they started dating in 1976 when she was 16/17.
I wonder what her kids, who are incredibly woke, think of how their parents got together?

I’ve seen comments saying that it’s ok because theyve been together for 35 years. That doesn’t make it ok. It just means that Jane probably didn’t know anything else and what probably led her to having affairs.

Last edited:

Goldilocks3108

VIP Member
Are you like me, to this day I can still remember the full Big Breakfast address because the presenters and all the crew would shout it out every morning?!

“The Big Breakfast! 2 Lock Keepers Cottages! OLD FORD LOCK! London, E3 TWO N! N!“
Brilliant! I thought I was good remembering the 2 Lock Keepers Cottages bit! I wonder whats in there now….

• Haha
  • Heart

Cocobaby09

VIP Member
When Paula left Bob for Michael it was all over the press and back in the mid 90s before a million channels and streaming services you couldn’t really avoid it. It was fascinating in a car crash kind of way. I remember how shocked I was when Michael died. It’s weird I wasn’t a fan of his but I can remember exactly where I was when I heard. I guess it’s because it was so unexpected. When Paula died I wasn’t surprised and in all honesty didn’t feel much sympathy for her at the time as I just saw her as someone who was shockingly selfish who had prioritised a man and drugs in front of caring for her kids. I thought Peaches was a precocious brat but I was really sad when she died in such a similar way to her Mum as I thought of how young she was when her Mum died and how damaging it must have been.

I think exploring toxic relationship dynamics fascinates a lot of people, often because they are trying to make sense of their own experiences.

I am not sure that I agree that Michael was a dark character. It seems that people always spoke very highly of him and that his brain damage really changed who he was. The talk of the dark sex stuff came from Paula and I think she was constantly trying to prove to everyone how amazing and unique their love and sex life was. I take all that stuff with a bucket full of salt.
I had fallen asleep on the couch with BBC news on woke up and thought “wow I dreamt Michael Hutchence died” then saw it on telly. Found it odd that Paula was so insistent it was auto erotic asphyxiation.
---
I remember both Hughie Green, 'and I mean that most sincerely ' and Jess Yates presenting Stars on Sunday. I think the first time I heard of Paul's was when I read an article on her in the News of the World's Sunday supplement, and saying she was Bob's girlfriend.

I remember when the Tube started, and seeing her on that, reading articles in the Press that she'd written, and just generally following what she'd been up to, as in marriage and her kids, etc. I never really liked her, but in those days her and Bob were everywhere, so it was difficult to avoid knowing about them.

The drugs in the Smarties tube shocked me at the time, as did Michael and her dying.
I felt sorry for Bob, and admired him for taking on TL.

I find the family both tragic and fascinating
My mum has a picture of me when I’m about 2 and Stars on Sunday is on the telly in the background 🤣 Berni Flint from Opportunity Knocks was my first crush.

• Haha

Suzesnooze

VIP Member
Bono wrote about ending his friendship with Michael in his autobiography.

But apparently he was re-writing history!

• Wow

Beaology

I just
I don’t mean this as a dig, but there’s a conspiracy theories thread on here where I’m sure a lot of people would be interested in that conversation.
---
To keep it on topic, I didn’t realise Paula Yates wrote that many books!

View attachment 2038691

I wonder how much Paula wrote of Sex and Death. I know it was about dealing with grief.

Does anyone know where I can read Paula’s autobiography on line?

I’ve just finished reading Gerry Agar’s Book and Belinda Brewins. I did start Michael’s mothers book but, it wasn’t written in a way that caught my attention so I’m not sure what book has the most accurate portrait of him.

A sense of futility was my experience in the aforementioned books.

• Sad